We're gonna be in the news again

Started by stereax, March 10, 2025, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trotsky

#300
According to yelp, they are a "mid level" frat with short guys who play rugby and sprint football.

Among the charming contestants we have a guy from Dubai, one whose LinkedIn lists his affiliation as the Army of South Korea, a guy from Brazil (copper or aluminum?), and then the usual suspect consultant / finance douchebaggery factories.  Chips off the old block.

Maybe a Trustee will save these guys' asses too.  Evidently the rapists in that old case went on to become, respectively, a lawyer and a judge.  Doubtless they were impressed by the integrity of our justice system.

Money.

It's nice.

Iceberg

#301
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 02:40:58 AMAccording to yelp, they are a "mid level" frat with short guys who play rugby and sprint football.

That rings a bell. That's exactly the perception I remember from when I was a student and also recalling a few guys who were in the fraternity.

As for the case, I'd guess that the plaintiff was a junior at the time and was on track to graduate this past May, which may explain why these charges were only brought up now (as to not be a potential distraction while she was still a student). She left Cornell shortly after the incident, and I assume she finished her studies somewhere else.

As for the night in question, everything seems "normal" by sorority girl standards up until she enters Chi Phi's house. I say that because it's not out of the ordinary for a group of college-aged women in a sorority to drink at their house and then go to a bar on a weekend night. Keep in mind, though, that the plaintiff here was 20 at the time and therefore underaged. In fact, it's not just these guys and Chi Phi being sued, it's also her own sorority (Tri Delta) and the bar (Moonie's, which is on the Commons). I'm no lawyer and have no idea how liable they would be but that seems like a potential attempt at a money grab from her lawyers.

Whatever happened after she left Moonie's will be the focus of the trial and likely the focus of anyone paying attention to this news. The legal system will have to run its course there.

stereax

Quote from: Iceberg on Today at 08:12:55 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 02:40:58 AMAccording to yelp, they are a "mid level" frat with short guys who play rugby and sprint football.

That rings a bell. That's exactly the perception I remember from when I was a student and also recalling a few guys who were in the fraternity.

As for the case, I'd guess that the plaintiff was a junior at the time and was on track to graduate this past May, which may explain why these charges were only brought up now (as to be a potential distraction while she was still a student). She left Cornell shortly after the incident, and I assume she finished her studies somewhere else.

As for the night in question, everything seems "normal" by sorority girl standards up until she enters Chi Phi's house. I say that because it's not out of the ordinary for a group of college-aged women in a sorority to drink at their house and then go to a bar on a weekend night. Keep in mind, though, that the plaintiff here was 20 at the time and therefore underaged. In fact, it's not just these guys and Chi Phi being sued, it's also her own sorority (Tri Delta) and the bar (Moonie's, which is on the Commons). I'm no lawyer and have no idea how liable they would be but that seems like a potential attempt at a money grab from her lawyers.

Whatever happened after she left Moonie's will be the focus of the trial and likely the focus of anyone paying attention to this news. The legal system will have to run its course there.
I mean, you're usually targeting whoever has the money to pay, as a lawyer-in-training (not yet a lawyer, this isn't legal advice). The specific guys can run indigent pretty fast; the fraternity and sorority, as well as Moonie's, may have more money to pay. If she has a cause of action against them, and it seems she does, she can pull from there.

(At the same time, I get fed up with people who willingly drink underage and then turn around and sue like "you shouldn't have given me the drinks!" like my brother/sister in christ YOU drank the stuff!)
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!

George64


ugarte

DA has reopened the investigation after the story in the Sun. They claim they didn't have access to the chats.