Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

HARVARD SUCKS

Posted by Josh '99 
Current Page: 9 of 15
Re: HARVARD SUCKS
Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 11:06PM

ugarte
The more I read about the nature of the cheating the less I stand by my feeling that the students (as a group) are being railroaded. If people were cut-and-pasting material that was being shared, that's obviously bullshit. That isn't collaboration and consultation; it's closer to plagiarism.

Remember that 125 out of the 250 students have been accused. So while it is becoming clear that a subset of the accused committed serious, copy-paste-style infractions, it is very likely that others are being railroaded. If you have about 9 hours to spare, read the last 4-5 posts on Prof. Harry Lewis's blog [harry-lewis.blogspot.com]. The relevant excerpt:

The course seems to have sent some mixed signals about the exam, with a TF holding office hours during the exam, in which students could hear each other's questions about their proposed answers, and the TF's responses.

Of course, the exam instructions were clear: No collaboration. But 60mph speed limit signs also could not be clearer. If you go 63 for an hour and people are passing you, and then you pass a speed trap and see that somebody who raced passed you at 75 has been pulled over, you get used to the idea that maybe you, everyone else, and the police all agree that 60mph signs don't literally mean what they say. It sounds to me like some students were going 75--they were cutting and pasting--and some of the other students who have been pulled in were going 63. Hopefully the Ad Board will respond in proportion, though I think those 63mph students have some justification for rolling their eyes about their culpability. Those who keep insisting that the students should be punished because the exam instructions were clear will, I trust, not complain if they are ticketed for driving 63, like everyone else, in a 60mph zone.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 11:17PM

"We're in trouble. I just checked with the guys at the Jewish house and they said that every one of our answers on the Psych test was wrong."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 11:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 08:12AM

madAgaskar07
ugarte
The more I read about the nature of the cheating the less I stand by my feeling that the students (as a group) are being railroaded. If people were cut-and-pasting material that was being shared, that's obviously bullshit. That isn't collaboration and consultation; it's closer to plagiarism.

Remember that 125 out of the 250 students have been accused. So while it is becoming clear that a subset of the accused committed serious, copy-paste-style infractions, it is very likely that others are being railroaded. If you have about 9 hours to spare, read the last 4-5 posts on Prof. Harry Lewis's blog [harry-lewis.blogspot.com]. The relevant excerpt:

The course seems to have sent some mixed signals about the exam, with a TF holding office hours during the exam, in which students could hear each other's questions about their proposed answers, and the TF's responses.

Of course, the exam instructions were clear: No collaboration. But 60mph speed limit signs also could not be clearer. If you go 63 for an hour and people are passing you, and then you pass a speed trap and see that somebody who raced passed you at 75 has been pulled over, you get used to the idea that maybe you, everyone else, and the police all agree that 60mph signs don't literally mean what they say. It sounds to me like some students were going 75--they were cutting and pasting--and some of the other students who have been pulled in were going 63. Hopefully the Ad Board will respond in proportion, though I think those 63mph students have some justification for rolling their eyes about their culpability. Those who keep insisting that the students should be punished because the exam instructions were clear will, I trust, not complain if they are ticketed for driving 63, like everyone else, in a 60mph zone.

Clearly Prof. Lewis has never driven in Cayuga Heights.

I believe that his argument boils down to "Oh I guess it is ok to cheat a little but not a lot and it is really bad form to get caught"

I think this is a compelling case for doing away with exams at Harvard. They clearly have no impact on grades. For that matter why go through the whole expensive and cumbersom process of holding classes that is so 20th century.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:56AM

Towerroad
I believe that his argument boils down to "Oh I guess it is ok to cheat a little but not a lot and it is really bad form to get caught"

No, I believe his argument is closer to "Those who only slightly broke the rules and/or didn't realize they were breaking them shouldn't be expelled alongside the worst offenders, they should be given something more like a slap on the wrist."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:56AM

Towerroad
madAgaskar07
ugarte

Clearly Prof. Lewis has never driven in Cayuga Heights.

That's unfair. His argument boils down to "if the TA answers a question you asked, maybe you shouldn't be punished for listening".

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-10.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 11:48AM

Beeeej
Towerroad

No, I believe his argument is closer to "Those who only slightly broke the rules and/or didn't realize they were breaking them shouldn't be expelled alongside the worst offenders, they should be given something more like a slap on the wrist."

Rather than a slap on the wrist I think it would be appropriate for those found to be less deceitful to have to wear "The Scarlet Letter".

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 12:03PM

marty
Beeeej
Towerroad

Rather than a slap on the wrist I think it would be appropriate for those found to be less deceitful to have to wear "The Scarlet Letter".

But at Harvard everyone gets an "A"

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 01:41PM

Trotsky
"We're in trouble. I just checked with the guys at the Jewish house and they said that every one of our answers on the Psych test was wrong."

That can't be. How can there be a Jewish house if Harvard doesn't admit Jews? ;)

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 03:56PM

A. sucks sucks

B. I swear there's a veritas joke in here somewhere. Someone clever should figure it out.

C. You even suck at cheating! You even suck at cheating!

D. You're so bad you can't win despite knowing the answer!

E.
INSTIGATOR: "Hey (captain whose name I'm too lazy to go back and look up)! Professor such-and-such called and he said:"

CROWD: "you suck!"

INSTIGATOR: Actually, he said you've been caught cheating and will be asked to take a leave of absence.

CROWD: "you suck! (pause) AT CHEATING!
You suck at cheating!
You suck at cheating!"

F. Hey [captain], when they brought you in as a prefrosh and introduced you to some current players as role models, they didn't mean Kyle Richter!

Official coffee of the Harvard Crimson
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 09:59PM

[clear]
Photographed near Palo Alto by a friend, Nathan Papadopulos. Next stop, Cambridge.

Re: Official coffee of the Harvard Crimson
Date: October 21, 2012 09:18PM

billhoward
[clear]
Photographed near Palo Alto by a friend, Nathan Papadopulos. Next stop, Cambridge.

Clearly a delivery of suckiness. I believe that it is delivered by barge in Cambridge. They are planning a pipeline to increase the volume.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: October 26, 2012 10:01AM

Bentley is sending 16 buses to Harvard's opener tonight tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 12:32PM by Chris '03.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 10:38AM

Man, I'm really having a hard time deciding whether to watch the CC game on redcast or to get my jersey on and go cheer for Bentley in person.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 26, 2012 11:43AM

BMac
Man, I'm really having a hard time deciding whether to watch the CC game on redcast or to get my jersey on and go cheer for Bentley in person.

With today's technology, toys and gizmos, can't you do both? :-P

(asks one of the few people who still uses a "not-so-smart" phone).

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2012 03:10PM

I love how they're bragging about a sell-out caused by the vising fans.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 04:06PM

jtn27
I love how they're bragging about a sell-out caused by the vising fans.
Are they bragging? I read it as "oh shit, there are going to be a lot of Bentley fans here, if any of the Harvard hockey Twitter account's six followers sees this in time, please come to the game so we don't look bad!"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 11:56AM

It has not been confirmed that Harvard could fill 16 fan buses for the trip to Harvard.

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 08:24PM

I just checked the sucks ticketing page and there are limited seats available... very limited... mostly pairs but I was able to grab 4 together :)

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 02:17AM

THANK YOU!

2 more tickets to my pile. Still a lot of friends to get tickets for... but every one counts!

Date: November 05, 2012 05:32PM

ugarte
It has not been confirmed that Harvard could fill 16 fan buses for the trip to Harvard.

It has not been confirmed that Sucks has 16 fans.

Date: November 05, 2012 09:16PM

Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:24AM

Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

Who wave the fans and peel grapes for the students.

Date: November 07, 2012 07:55AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

Clearly then we may conclude that 4 actual Sucks students attend the game each with 4 servants. Some of those servants may in fact be TA's filling out their tests for them.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-12.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2012 11:48AM

Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

Clearly then we may conclude that 4 actual Sucks students attend the game each with 4 servants. Some of those servants may in fact be TA's filling out their tests for them.

Ok so which is it? 16 fans or 20?

Date: November 07, 2012 07:51PM

marty
Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

I was assuming that there were 4 servants fanning 4 Harvard supporters who where also attended by 4 other servants peeling the grapes and taking the tests. However, the entire exercise fails based on the assumption that Harvard actually has 4 supporters. Clearly that is absurd.

Date: November 08, 2012 07:43AM

Towerroad
marty
Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

I was assuming that there were 4 servants fanning 4 Harvard supporters who where also attended by 4 other servants peeling the grapes and taking the tests. However, the entire exercise fails based on the assumption that Harvard actually has 4 supporters. Clearly that is absurd.

I was assuming that there were 12 servants who waved 4 fans for 4 four students. However, nowhere was it specified that the students were attending hockey games.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 12:40PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Towerroad
marty
Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

I was assuming that there were 12 servants who waved 4 fans for 4 four students. However, nowhere was it specified that the students were attending hockey games.
deadhorse

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.207.252.64.snet.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 01:20PM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Towerroad
marty
Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

deadhorse

Ah, this is the eLynah I missed so much.

Date: November 09, 2012 07:51AM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Towerroad
marty
Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Towerroad
ugarte

4 fans and 12 servants.

deadhorse

Shouldn't that be an elephant?

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 11:23PM

This belongs here...

...and Harvard Sucks!

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: November 16, 2012 01:14AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Shouldn't that be an elephant?
UVM called...

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: November 16, 2012 10:47AM

I love biannual "go to work with a big red hockey shirt on" day.

It makes it better that I work in Cambridge.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: November 16, 2012 11:33AM

BMac
I love biannual "go to work with a big red hockey shirt on" day.

It makes it better that I work in Cambridge.

I'm wearing my big red sweatshirt :). (My Cam Abbot Jersey would have been pushing it, unfortunately). Though on the train this morning I did see a man wearing tailored red pants, a matching red shirt and white vest that caught my eye. However, I don't think he was dressed that way in honor of the Cornell-Harvard game.

Let's Go Red!

Hahvahd Sucks!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2012 12:39PM

Haaahhh - vaaahhhd ...

Date: November 16, 2012 12:46PM

SUCKS!

Dean, I like how your handle makes you forever a freshman.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2012 12:55PM

BMac
SUCKS!

Bernardo, I wish that were true. Missin' life on the hill pretty badly these days

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 16, 2012 05:51PM

imafrshmn
BMac
SUCKS!

Bernardo, I wish that were true. Missin' life on the hill pretty badly these days
Oh, I want to go back to the old days...

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2012 06:06PM

KeithK
imafrshmn
BMac
SUCKS!

Those good old days on the Hill!

Date: November 16, 2012 06:39PM

munchkin
KeithK
imafrshmn
BMac
SUCKS!

Those good old days on the Hill!
That bitch.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2012 10:05PM

Months after Cornell becomes an Ivy pioneer by filming porn in Carpenter Library, Harvard does a lame imitation by establishing a club where the Johnnies can talk about how much they actually (would like to) suck.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: December 03, 2012 11:08AM

Swampy
Months after Cornell becomes an Ivy pioneer by filming porn in Carpenter Library, Harvard does a lame imitation by establishing a club where the Johnnies can talk about how much they actually (would like to) suck.

All talk, no action. Well, at least it'll help them come up with ideas for all those letters to the Penthouse Forum, if that's still around.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2012 12:43PM

Begging authority to sanction your subversion of its norms. UR doin it wrong.

Date: December 03, 2012 07:04PM

Give My Regards
Swampy

All talk, no action. Well, at least it'll help them come up with ideas for all those letters to the Penthouse Forum, if that's still around.

I am afraid that this is just too easy. Is there really any sport in mocking this?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2012 09:37PM

Give My Regards
Swampy

I wonder how many of them skipped class today to get free toys from Trojan.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2012 09:59PM

Rita
Give My Regards
Swampy

I wonder how many of them skipped class today to get free toys from Trojan.

Wow! I remember when Bill Baird was arrested in Boston for distributing condoms. wank

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 10, 2012 07:48PM

Some are taking a break from sucking.

[www.thecrimson.com]

During its 19-day stretch between games, a handful of players were removed from Harvard’s official roster, which was smaller Friday night than it had been at the season’s start.

“Some guys had to take a year absent,” Girard said. “I won’t say any names, but like any other team, we might have some problems with the academic scandal. Some of them just want to take leaves to get more playing time and come back later because they were younger guys. Some other guys were just injured. But overall, they’re going to come back; they’re still part of our family and still part of our team.”

Edit to add CHN's story, which fills in the blanks, since The Crimson's journalism was so thorough: [www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 08:03PM by RichH.

Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2012 01:41PM

To be clear, by "any other team", Girard really means "any other team at Harvard." Like their basketball team, football team, etc.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 11, 2012 01:52PM

RichH

[www.thecrimson.com]

During its 19-day stretch between games, a handful of players were removed from Harvard’s official roster, which was smaller Friday night than it had been at the season’s start.

“Some guys had to take a year absent,” Girard said. “I won’t say any names, but like any other team, we might have some problems with the academic scandal. Some of them just want to take leaves to get more playing time and come back later because they were younger guys. Some other guys were just injured. But overall, they’re going to come back; they’re still part of our family and still part of our team.”

Edit to add CHN's story, which fills in the blanks, since The Crimson's journalism was so thorough: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

USCHO says they only have six defensemen on the roster.

Date: December 11, 2012 02:10PM

RichH

I am not sure that is possible once you matriculate.

Date: December 11, 2012 05:14PM

Towerroad
RichH

I am not sure that is possible once you matriculate.
It is, but only when you're 20.

Date: February 04, 2013 03:00PM

It's that time again. Harvard will be losing to BC tonight at 8 in their annual Ballet of Futility, shortly after Northeastern has lost to BU.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 03:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:57PM

From the USCHO Beanpot blog:

Jim Connelly:
Now, if Harvard can do exactly the same, it would be the first time in tournament history that NU and Harvard play in the championship game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:56PM

BC up 1-0 end of 1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 09:36AM

Jim Hyla
BC up 1-0 end of 1
Harvard lost, to the surprise of nobody, because they suck.

Date: February 05, 2013 09:47AM

Josh '99
Harvard lost, to the surprise of nobody, because they suck.
This is a philosophical question. Do they lose because they suck or do they suck because they lose?

Date: February 05, 2013 11:26AM

AHEM, SIR!

[www.youtube.com]

Northeastern beats BU 3-1 with a hat trick from nation-leading rookie scorer Kevin Roy.

I'm attending my first beanpot game next Monday for the finals; very glad to have someone to cheer for. Everyone likes an underdog. Underhusky. Whatever. I'll squint and pretend their ugly brown is more red.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:22PM

BMac
AHEM, SIR!

[www.youtube.com]

Northeastern beats BU 3-1 with a hat trick from nation-leading rookie scorer Kevin Roy.

I'm attending my first beanpot game next Monday for the finals; very glad to have someone to cheer for. Everyone likes an underdog. Underhusky. Whatever. I'll squint and pretend their ugly brown is more red.

Good luck to NU, but I'm not putting any money on them. But then again, I don't bet on anything. Listening to parts, seeing the highlights, and looking at the stats, it certainly looks like BU played bad defense and NU was fortunate to win. Did anyone watch it?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:27PM

BMac
AHEM, SIR!

[www.youtube.com]

For the sake of accuracy: final score was 3-2 after a late BU goal; and Northeastern's colors are red and black...no brown...and home sweaters are white.

Date: February 12, 2013 04:31PM

Let's forget the last couple months, forget that Sucks won a game this week, focus on the positive: Sucks sucks.

Let us all watch John Stewart tell us so:
[bostinno.com]

Date: February 12, 2013 04:43PM

BMac
Let's forget the last couple months, forget that Sucks won a game this week, focus on the positive: Sucks sucks.

[bostinno.com]

My takeaway is John Stewart actually still thinks Harvard is the most prestigious university in the United States.

It aint 1975 anymore, my friend.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 05:12PM

Trotsky
BMac

[bostinno.com]

My takeaway is John Stewart actually still thinks Harvard is the most prestigious university in the United States.

Please. That's only a junior university. rolleyes

Date: February 12, 2013 06:06PM

Kyle Rose

Looks like Harvard material, at that.

Date: February 12, 2013 06:09PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
BMac

[bostinno.com]

And they had to steal faculty from Cornell on several occassions to even get on the map.

Go Cal.

Date: February 12, 2013 06:15PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
BMac

[bostinno.com]

You know what they call Sucks - "The Stanford of the East"

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 07:50PM

BMac

[bostinno.com]
Stewart's priceless pause after asking "What class was it that led to cheating ..[some hard class?]?" .... "Introduction to Congress." .... [pause] "I rescind my question. They'll do well."

Date: February 13, 2013 12:42PM

As good a place as any to put this USCHO article on our fall from grace.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 10:01PM

Jim Hyla
As good a place as any to put this USCHO article on our fall from grace.

He can’t help but look at first-place Quinnipiac, a team in the top spot by virtue of what Cornell has done well for so many years.

“Everyone has bought into their systems,” Schafer said of the Bobcats. “They get good goaltending night in and night out, they’re blocking shots and they’re disciplined night in and night out. That’s what winning teams do.”
Is the implication that everyone has not bought into Schafer's system this year?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 10:02PM by David Harding.

Date: February 16, 2013 12:14AM

Vanessa has acquired Beer Darts from Josh '99, since he's being lame and not coming. We will be tailgating either behind the stadium or in the B School parking lot before the game. We will also be hitting up Harpoon Brewery if anyone would like to join somewhere around 12:30-1.

Date: February 16, 2013 06:10PM

Just to keep things in perspective.

Image error
File not found.
open image URL

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 10:51PM

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after over 30 years of attending Cornell vs. Harvard hockey games, this past Saturday was the first time I attended one at Harvard. But being my first time at Bright, I couldn't help but notice and immediately be pissed off by their banner titled "ECAC Championships" (or perhaps it reads "ECAC Champions" ) which includes all the years they came in first in the regular season. They have another banner titled "ECAC Tournament Championships" or something like that that correctly shows the years they really won championships.

Has this been discussed here before? Have others been as annoyed by this as I was? Does the ECAC really allow a team that comes in first in the regular season to call themselves "ECAC Champions" if they don't also win the tournament? I'm sure I'm tilting at windmills, but I'd like to see Harvard forced to take that banner down, or at least correct the title to add "Regular Season."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 10:59PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:04PM

andyw2100
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after over 30 years of attending Cornell vs. Harvard hockey games, this past Saturday was the first time I attended one at Harvard. But being my first time at Bright Lynah East, I couldn't help but notice and immediately be pissed off by their banner titled "ECAC Championships" (or perhaps it reads "ECAC Champions" ) which includes all the years they came in first in the regular season. They have another banner titled "ECAC Tournament Championships" or something like that that correctly shows the years they really won championships.

Has this been discussed here before? Have others been as annoyed by this as I was? Does the ECAC really allow a team that comes in first in the regular season to call themselves "ECAC Champions" if they don't also win the tournament? I'm sure I'm tilting at windmills, but I'd like to see Harvard forced to take that banner down, or at least correct the title to add "Regular Season."

Fixed. And Regular Season Championships should be ECAC Championships. Sample size and all that.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:21PM

andyw2100
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after over 30 years of attending Cornell vs. Harvard hockey games, this past Saturday was the first time I attended one at Harvard. But being my first time at Bright, I couldn't help but notice and immediately be pissed off by their banner titled "ECAC Championships" (or perhaps it reads "ECAC Champions" ) which includes all the years they came in first in the regular season. They have another banner titled "ECAC Tournament Championships" or something like that that correctly shows the years they really won championships.

I think there is a general consensus that grade inflation and 80% of the class graduating with honors and all is a bit overdone. The fact that the athletes were caught cheating this year may be a harbinger of fair grading on the horizon. I'm sure the banners will also be corrected as the university makes its penance.

Well on second thought...

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:27PM

Ben
andyw2100
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after over 30 years of attending Cornell vs. Harvard hockey games, this past Saturday was the first time I attended one at Harvard. But being my first time at Bright Lynah East, I couldn't help but notice and immediately be pissed off by their banner titled "ECAC Championships" (or perhaps it reads "ECAC Champions" ) which includes all the years they came in first in the regular season. They have another banner titled "ECAC Tournament Championships" or something like that that correctly shows the years they really won championships.

Fixed. And Regular Season Championships should be ECAC Championships. Sample size and all that.

I can't wait until the NHL's Presidents' trophy comes to my town!

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:29PM

Ben
andyw2100

Says the soccer fan. :-P

If regular season finish equals champion then the Presidents' Trophy should be more valuable than the Stanley Cup.

In my eyes, tournament winner is ECAC Champion. Winner of the 22 game round robin is top seed in the ECAC tournament. The '02 Cornell team was not ECAC champion for example.

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:59PM

Chris '03
If regular season finish equals champion then the Presidents' Trophy should be more valuable than the Stanley Cup.
We've been socialized to think the reverse, but a larger sample size (particularly with a balanced schedule) is more likely to leave the best team at the top of the table. Playoffs may be more exciting, but they increase the importance of random variations -- bounces of the puck.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 01:53AM

Ben
Chris '03
We've been socialized to think the reverse, but a larger sample size (particularly with a balanced schedule) is more likely to leave the best team at the top of the table. Playoffs may be more exciting, but they increase the importance of random variations -- bounces of the puck.
I refuse to deadhorse

Date: February 19, 2013 06:36AM

The only reason the RS winner in US sports isn't called a "champion" is to hype the post-season.

Finishing first is definitely some sort of "championship," and I don't mind Harvard having its banners. What I mind is those banners are in pastel shades reminiscent of 1970's toothpaste which have no relationship to the team colors. Their NCAA Title banner used to look like a tampon ad. Somebody in the AD's marketing office must have a deep-seeded (get it?) hate for bright (get that one too?) colors.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 06:39AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 07:18AM

Trotsky
The only reason the RS winner in US sports isn't called a "champion" is to hype the post-season.

Finishing first is definitely some sort of "championship," and I don't mind Harvard having its banners. What I mind is those banners are in pastel shades reminiscent of 1970's toothpaste which have no relationship to the team colors. Their NCAA Title banner used to look like a tampon ad. Somebody in the AD's marketing office must have a deep-seeded (get it?) hate for bright (get that one too?) colors.
Speaking of colors, have you looked at the UMD message board recently? crazy

Date: February 19, 2013 07:20AM

Here's how the ECAC describes the "Cups":

On March 16, 2001, at the 40th league championship in Lake Placid, N.Y., ECAC Hockey paid tribute to retiring Harvard Director of Athletics William J. “Bill” Cleary Jr. by re-naming its regular-season trophy the William J. Cleary Cup.

On March 9, 1989, the league paid tribute to retiring Commissioner Robert M. “Scotty” Whitelaw by announcing that the Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship trophy would be named the Whitelaw Cup.

In doing a quick search of the ECAC site, I couldn't find reference to regular season champion, it's probably there somewhere, but when you search "champion" the first batch of results all refer to tournament champions. There probably is some justification for it somewhere, but any time someone asks "Who was the (year) champion?", I'm sure the response would be the tourney winner.

But, I say let them have their little celebrations, I'm much happier to see responses such as was posted on the Harvrd game thread by Ben:

Text from a Sucks student friend (her first hockey game): "Your school took over our arena."

That's enough to forget about banners.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 08:04AM

Having observed every ECAC season since its founding, I would say there was no "regular season champion" until the time in the 90s when the NCAA decided to award an automatic bid to the team that finished first in the regular season, and the ECAC used that as a reason to declare there was now going to be a "regular season champion." Prior to that, no one even gave a thought to there being a "regular season champion," so, to engage in revisionist history and claim one for a season preceding that is disingenuous at best. Yes, teams sought to win games to gain a higher seed for the tournament that determined the champion, but no one on the ice, behind the bench, in the press, or among the teams' fans, felt there was a "championship" involved.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Ben's "best team" and a league's or sport's or country's "champion" may indeed be, and often are, two different teams. Does anyone remember which major league baseball team had the best regular season record in 2010? But the Giants, who blew everyone away in the playoffs after making said playoffs only with a win on the seaon's last day, are and always will be the 2010 World Series champions. How about Ken Dryden's Canadiens in 1971? Are the 1971 Boston Bruins proud and content to say they were the "best team" in 1971 because they blew everyone else away in the regular season? Ask Bobby Orr or Phil Esposito and see what they have to say.

Date: February 19, 2013 01:33PM

keep in mind that there was no set ECAC schedule until the 80's and it wasn't balanced until the HE teams left. Crowning a champion based on RS games would have been difficult or unfair when teams played radically different schedules. Having a tournament addressed this problem.

Champion has been intended to be the same as best in some sports at certain points in time. For example: baseball pre-expansion, where the pennant winner was simply the best team in the league. The WS was to pick a best team of the two league champions. Hockey has never really had this model though. The NHL has pretty much always used a large post-season tournament format.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 01:40PM

munchkin
Vanessa has acquired Beer Darts from Josh '99, since he's being lame and not coming.
Well that's a fine "thank you"! :-}

Date: February 19, 2013 02:03PM

Ben
Chris '03
This is America, and in America we don't want to hear about your "sample size" and your "math"! The playoff champion is the champion!

Which is to say, you're right that a double round robin, like the ECAC regular season or all the big European soccer leagues, is a better way of determining the best team, but it seems pretty universally accepted in North American sports that the winner of the playoffs is the "champion. (Sorry Clarkson.) I find it interesting that the WCHA seems to feel more strongly about the regular season champion being the "champion" than any other North American sports league that I'm aware of (as indicated by the ridiculously oversized MacNaughton Cup), when the degree of unbalance in their schedule (a team plays each other team either twice or four times in a season, as opposed to in Hockey East where at least it's either twice or three times) makes it less likely to be the case than in a league with a balanced schedule.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:26PM

Josh '99
This is America, and in America we don't want to hear about your "sample size" and your "math"! The playoff champion is the champion!

Granted America has a herpa-derp problem, we used to be grown up enough to recognize NL and AL pennant winners.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:39PM

Josh '99
I find it interesting that the WCHA seems to feel more strongly about the regular season champion being the "champion" than any other North American sports league that I'm aware of (as indicated by the ridiculously oversized MacNaughton Cup), when the degree of unbalance in their schedule (a team plays each other team either twice or four times in a season, as opposed to in Hockey East where at least it's either twice or three times) makes it less likely to be the case than in a league with a balanced schedule.

History probably plays a role there. The WCHA has been around since 1960, and it evolved from some other conglomeration of Western teams (WIHL, maybe?) that came together around 1950 or so. The NCAA tournament took only four teams, generally two "East" and two "West", until 1981, and for a large number of those years, the WCHA post-season produced two finalists with no championship game. Why? Because those two finalists were (I want to say "always" but I better stick with "almost always" ) immediately given the two West spots in the NCAAs. Since there was no post-season champ in the WCHA, they made a bigger fuss over the regular-season champ. I think in those days the WCHA did play a more balanced schedule than they do now.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:50PM

Trotsky
Granted America has a herpa-derp problem, we used to be grown up enough to recognize NL and AL pennant winners.

Yes, well (shake your cane with me here), the pennant winners used to be the two teams with the best record in the NL and AL. Nowadays, you gotta slog through I've-lost-count-of-how-many playoff rounds to figure out who they are. What do we have, "division winners" now? Oooh, aaah.

BTW, no matter how many "ECAC championships" they give themselves, Harvard still sucks.

Date: February 19, 2013 05:49PM

Give My Regards
BTW, no matter how many "ECAC championships" they give themselves, Harvard still sucks.
That goes without saying.

Date: February 19, 2013 05:52PM

Josh '99
munchkin
Vanessa has acquired Beer Darts from Josh '99, since he's being lame and not coming.
Thank you. We did have fun with the set. Although we learned, the cheap plastic darts that don't separate the tail work better when playing in a parking lot without a snow pack to soften the impact when missing the can. Valuable research performed in the name of slightly dangerous drinking games (Robin may have hit my leg several times).

Date: February 19, 2013 08:03PM

munchkin
Josh '99
munchkin
Thank you. We did have fun with the set. Although we learned, the cheap plastic darts that don't separate the tail work better when playing in a parking lot without a snow pack to soften the impact when missing the can. Valuable research performed in the name of slightly dangerous drinking games (Robin may have hit my leg several times).

By the time I showed up, some contestants were standing off to the side of the board during the game. That was the first clue to the overall skill level involved.

Date: February 20, 2013 08:08AM

munchkin
Josh '99
munchkin
I didn't put the darts into the bag with the rest? doh

Date: February 20, 2013 08:10AM

Trotsky
Give My Regards
Just because something need not be said, doesn't mean it should not be said.

Date: February 20, 2013 10:17AM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Give My Regards

That also goes without saying.

Date: February 20, 2013 12:16PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Give My Regards
And should be repeated. Harvard sucks!

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 22, 2013 10:30AM

Cornell Student happy not to have attended that other school.

Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 04:40PM

Immediate induction into the Mug Shot Hall of Fame:
[www.usatoday.com]

Date: February 25, 2013 05:29PM

Weder
[www.usatoday.com]

That's truly fantastic.

Date: February 25, 2013 07:55PM

Josh '99
Weder
[www.usatoday.com]
That's truly fantastic.

So, no one has been wasted before? I'd hate to think what some people might look like in that state.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 03:44PM

Weder
[www.usatoday.com]

More versions here.

Date: March 05, 2013 04:09PM

Josh '99
Weder
[www.usatoday.com]

That's truly fantastic.
You can always tell a Harvard man.

Date: March 09, 2013 12:41AM

In honor of this year's recipient: ECAC Last Place by Year.

Current Page: 9 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login