Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

HARVARD SUCKS

Posted by Josh '99 
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: HARVARD SUCKS
Posted by: curfc80 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 12:12PM

curfc80
Lance Nethery, 1979. He knew.

Years later I ran into Coach Cleary and asked him if he remembered this deviation from the fish-throwing tradition.

He told me he asked the ref: How big would that thing have to be before you'd call a game misconduct!"

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:05PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
Plus, printing off fish pictures is easier than getting a sizable volume of The Cornell Daily Sun to AC.

Why does it have to be The Cornell Daily Sun? Surely The Atlantic City Trashy Celebrity Sex Scandal and Sensationalized Crime Daily Tabloid (or whatever it is they call the local paper) would work just as well?

Half sarcasm. However, it is more authentic using The Sun because it is what one does at Lynah. I guess I was being a purist about the traditions of the Lynah Faithful.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:09PM

Jim Hyla
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
jtwcornell91
Aaron M. Griffin
Cornell Sucks
Harvard is going to kick the shit out of Cornell.

Now, now, why are we all so dismissive of this erudite commenter? I'm sure that he has something that he can offer. Perhaps he would be kind enough to pick some fish up from the hahbah for all the Faithful. We all know that we will need them.

Kidding aside, DO NOT THROW FISH IN ATLANTIC CITY or any place other than Lynah.

Do what I do for non-hockey Harvard games: bring a sign with a picture of a fish.

How many people join you in that? It's a good idea. It keeps the tradition alive at neutral sites and does not punish Cornell's team.

So far.... 2. And we've only done it 2 or 3 times.

Okay. bnr24 and I will join in with it. I will print off several copies of it to pass around for the Harvard game. I have a large printing quota at my law school and I have not begun to use any of it, so I can think of no better use. If it is as easy as people say to move around in Boardwalk Hall, it should be easy to pass them out to have a decent density of fish pictures before the game. Plus, printing off fish pictures is easier than getting a sizable volume of The Cornell Daily Sun to AC.

I will be bringing newspapers. I like the fish idea, could it be for when they come on the ice, just like when they are thrown? If that happens, it would be great in Boston as well, and I think it would make a impact there. I'm not sure there will be enough Harvard fans in AC to annoy them. However, I still like newspaper for the intros. We can have both, and could coordinate distribution.

I agree with the timing. I am going to print off a large amount of pictures of fish to antagonize Sucks and their fan. I will distribute fish pictures if I can get a newspaper so that we can all do this as if it were Lynah. I am not sure the layout or areas of Boardwalk Hall for easy distribution among Cornell fans. Any ideas for that?

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:33PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
Plus, printing off fish pictures is easier than getting a sizable volume of The Cornell Daily Sun to AC.

Why does it have to be The Cornell Daily Sun? Surely The Atlantic City Trashy Celebrity Sex Scandal and Sensationalized Crime Daily Tabloid (or whatever it is they call the local paper) would work just as well?

Half sarcasm. However, it is more authentic using The Sun because it is what one does at Lynah. I guess I was being a purist about the traditions of the Lynah Faithful.
I hever used the Sun at Lynah. I always grabbed a stack of the various free papers that are left in buildings on campus. Besides, if you want to think deeply about the intent of the cheer* the more boring and stupid the reading material the better.

* Which is silly, but we're all spending inordinate amount of time on a web forum about college hockey. So I feel justified. :-D

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:38PM

KeithK
I hever used the Sun at Lynah. I always grabbed a stack of the various free papers that are left in buildings on campus. Besides, if you want to think deeply about the intent of the cheer* the more boring and stupid the reading material the better.

* Which is silly, but we're all spending inordinate amount of time on a web forum about college hockey. So I feel justified. :-D

Isn't The Sun now one of those various free papers that are left in buildings on campus? I think I remember hearing that except for deliveries, The Sun is now free.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:49PM

RichH
KeithK

Isn't The Sun now one of those various free papers that are left in buildings on campus? I think I remember hearing that except for deliveries, The Sun is now free.

It's been free at least since Fall 2005 when I arrived on campus.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 04:01PM

munchkin
RichH
KeithK

It was free the entire time that I was on campus and when I made the trip up for this year's Sucks game at Lynah, it was free to grab before the game.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 14, 2012 05:15PM

Aaron M. Griffin
munchkin
RichH
KeithK

It was free the entire time that I was on campus and when I made the trip up for this year's Sucks game at Lynah, it was free to grab before the game.
Well get off my damn lawn!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 05:23PM

So bring extra newspapers. I never know if I'll have enough. Should have enough Snickers however.:-}

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:36PM

It is the Ides of March and Harvard still sucks.

(Yeah, totally bored at work)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:42PM

Rita
It is the Ides of March and Harvard still sucks.

And down 10 at the half, 33-23.

edit: Harvard making a late run, down 5 with a minute and a half to go.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:50PM by nyc94.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2012 07:07PM

...And Harvard still sucks.

79-70 Vanderbilt. Final.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 07:15PM

Is it true beating Harvard in an NCAA game gets Vandy an automatic invite to Hockey East?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 15, 2012 07:20PM

French Rage
Is it true beating Harvard in an NCAA game gets Vandy an automatic invite to Hockey East?

No. You actually have to accomplish something noteworthy to get an invite to Hockey East.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 07:26PM

jtn27
French Rage

No. You actually have to accomplish something noteworthy to get an invite to Hockey East.

Well, they've been bad at football since the nineties, just like Notre Dame...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 08:11AM

jtn27
French Rage

No. You actually have to accomplish something noteworthy 20 years ago to get an invite to Hockey East.

FYP

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:32PM

jtn27
French Rage

Then how did Vermont get one?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:38PM

Josh '99
jtn27
French Rage

This isn't noteworthy?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:50PM

Chris '03
Josh '99
jtn27
French Rage

This isn't noteworthy?
I stand corrected. We certainly made note of it during subsequent Cornell-Vermont games.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-166-248-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 02:36PM

I thought it would be good if this thread had 18,000 views before the game starts tonight.

Let's Go Red!

Posted by: dbilmes (74.11.242.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 03:50PM

Now that Harvard's basketball team is one and done, the Crimson Faithful can fill up Boardwalk Hall tonight to cheer on their hockey team.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 04:49PM

dbilmes
Now that Harvard's basketball team is one and done, the Crimson Faithful can fill up Boardwalk Hall tonight to cheer on their hockey team.

Is there really anything "ful" about them? Perhaps the Crimson Faithfool or Faithfail would be more appropriate.

Posted by: Cornell Sucks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 09:58PM

Harvard really kicked the shit out of a foolish looking Cornell team.

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:25PM

So I'm just waiting for Harvard to either lose to Union tomorrow, or if they make it past tomorrow, I await the one and done game, to keep up with tradition.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 03:39AM

Killer
dbilmes
Is there really anything "ful" about them? Perhaps the Crimson Faithfool or Faithfail would be more appropriate.
If not ful then full of.

Last night was not a night to yell out "Harvard sucks." Kettle, pot, black.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 09:12AM

Cornell Sucks
I'd encourage you to go celebrate with other Harvard fans instead of coming here and trolling, but that would require there to be such a thing as "other Harvard fans".

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:37PM

Cornell Sucks

Why do I think this is actually some Cornell face-timer trying to stir things up?

I suppose it is not completely outside the realm of possibility that the Harvard fan could have found someone who understood how to surf the internet and gotten that person to search for a Cornell site and troll on it.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:48PM

Cornell Sucks

Perhaps so, Tom. But in a year or two, we'll win another ECAC championship, and you'll still be an old, flaccid, classless asshole. And when it happens, there still won't be a Harvard hockey forum for us to troll on, because nobody gives a shit about Harvard hockey.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 05:12PM

Give My Regards
Cornell Sucks

Why do I think this is actually some Cornell face-timer trying to stir things up?

I suppose it is not completely outside the realm of possibility that the Harvard fan could have found someone who understood how to surf the internet and gotten that person to search for a Cornell site and troll on it.

I put my money on some toad that didn't get into Cornell and has spent the last ten years surfing the web - thinking he's a hacker.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 06:15PM

marty
Give My Regards
Cornell Sucks

I put my money on some toad that didn't get into Cornell and has spent the last ten years surfing the web - thinking he's a hacker.
I think the one thing we can be sure of is that this is not a Sucks fan, as that is a null set.

Date: March 18, 2012 12:19AM

Give My Regards
Cornell Sucks

Why do I think this is actually some Cornell face-timer trying to stir things up? I suppose it is not completely outside the realm of possibility that the Harvard fan could have found someone who understood how to surf the internet and gotten that person to search for a Cornell site and troll on it.
Harvard people wrote their own website a couple years ago. Most of them use that. There was a movie about it last year. Of the Harvard website creators, ex-Harvard president Lawrence Summers said, "... one of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at 3 o clock, there are two possibilities. One is that they are looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an asshole. This was the latter case."

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 12:03AM

billhoward
Give My Regards
Cornell Sucks

Why do I think this is actually some Cornell face-timer trying to stir things up? I suppose it is not completely outside the realm of possibility that the Harvard fan could have found someone who understood how to surf the internet and gotten that person to search for a Cornell site and troll on it.
Harvard people wrote their own website a couple years ago. Most of them use that. There was a movie about it last year. Of the Harvard website creators, ex-Harvard president Lawrence Summers said, "... one of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at 3 o clock, there are two possibilities. One is that they are looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an asshole. This was the latter case."

When's the eLynah movie coming out?

Date: March 19, 2012 01:01AM

My bad for responding. What's the word, again, for little people who sleep under bridges? I know they get hungry.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 06:54PM

Today, let's not forget who the first team to ever lose at Fenway Park was.

[www.thecrimson.com]

Date: April 20, 2012 07:02PM

RichH
Today, let's not forget who the first team to ever lose at Fenway Park was.

[www.thecrimson.com]

100 years later and Harvard still sucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 07:03PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.sub-166-248-13.myvzw.com)
Date: May 23, 2012 10:55AM

A "distinguished" Harvard alumnus has his 50th reunion coming up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 11:03AM by CowbellGuy.

Date: May 23, 2012 10:59AM

Ronald '09

[mobile.twitter.com]

+1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2012 01:46PM

Ronald '09

I LOLed at "Awards". It's like they're taking pride that their most famous nutjob is more accomplished than other schools' nutjobs.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: May 23, 2012 03:05PM

Josh '99
I LOLed at "Awards". It's like they're taking pride that their most famous nutjob is more accomplished than other schools' nutjobs.
Nutjob inflation. That's only worth 4 life sentences at any other school.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2012 09:57PM

Ronald '09
A lot of people are saying that the publication was in poor taste. I disagree; only the publication of the Awards section was. As a comedian I commend Kaczynski for the high-quality trolling but the editors of the update shouldn't have allowed him to sneak in a joke about murdering people.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2012 10:18PM

The Cornell-Sucks rivalry is mentioned on Midtown Badgers's college sports bucket list.

Other than the description of the rivalry, it is interesting how the author recounts college hockey history entirely inaccurately.
Andrew Coppens
Wisconsin fans should be well versed by just how good Cornell can be as they stopped the Badgers hopes of winning yet another national title in 2010 in the NCAA Frozen Four.
I am not sure how he thinks that Cornell made it to the Frozen Four with losing to UNH in the 2010 NCAA East Regional Semifinal. Wisconsin made it to the national title game that year and lost 8-0 to BC. The positive of this error is the implication that Wisconsin has respect for the hockey tradition at Cornell, unlike some programs in the WCHA.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2012 02:22AM

They know not to screw with us in an alternate universe.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 02:26AM

French Rage
They know not to screw with us in an alternate universe.

My senior year in that universe would not have been as disappointing either. Unrealized potential.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: June 21, 2012 09:24AM

Aaron M. Griffin

Other than the description of the rivalry...

The first in the last 35+ years not to mention chicken or fish.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: June 21, 2012 11:22AM

Aaron M. Griffin
The Cornell-Sucks rivalry is mentioned on Midtown Badgers's college sports bucket list.

Other than the description of the rivalry, it is interesting how the author recounts college hockey history entirely inaccurately.
Andrew Coppens
Wisconsin fans should be well versed by just how good Cornell can be as they stopped the Badgers hopes of winning yet another national title in 2010 in the NCAA Frozen Four.
I am not sure how he thinks that Cornell made it to the Frozen Four with losing to UNH in the 2010 NCAA East Regional Semifinal. Wisconsin made it to the national title game that year and lost 8-0 to BC. The positive of this error is the implication that Wisconsin has respect for the hockey tradition at Cornell, unlike some programs in the WCHA.
We beat Wisconsin in the NCAA basketball tournament that year, and somehow the author transformed that memory.

Date: August 29, 2012 07:09AM

Single game @ Harvard tickets go on sale Sept. 5.

Date: August 30, 2012 06:40PM

Investigating "unprecedented" academic dishonesty in Cambridge: [www.thecrimson.com]

I don't understand. Why do you have to cheat when you're already guranteed an "A"?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 08:10PM

KeithK
Investigating "unprecedented" academic dishonesty in Cambridge: [www.thecrimson.com]

I don't understand. Why do you have to cheat when you're already guranteed an "A"?
Given the class, cheating is the final exam.

Date: August 31, 2012 07:51AM

Trotsky
KeithK

Given the class, cheating is the final exam.

+1

Date: September 03, 2012 03:07PM

NY Times
[www.nytimes.com]
Students said they were tripped up by a course whose tests were confusing, whose grading was inconsistent, and for which the professor and teaching assistants gave contradictory signals about what was expected. They face the possibility of a one-year suspension from Harvard or revocation of their diplomas if they have already graduated, and some said that they will sue the university if any serious punishment is meted out.
Harvard education that teaches practical lessons for life. You can change your destiny if you have counsel.

If Prof. Matthew Platt is not tenured, what is his half-life in Cambridge going to be?

Date: September 05, 2012 09:03AM

Tickets are up, get to work.

As an aside: Sec 14 is probably for Ithaca. Our bench is 16-17, and I just got 18 row H.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 09:07AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Robin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 09:45AM

Section 14 may be the Harvard band.

Posted by: cmoberg (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2012 10:04AM

Got 2 seats in 18, F

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 06:29PM

22G here; on the road with a smartphone; hard to choose seats at 3G speeds. In the house, at least.**]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2012 06:42PM

Al DeFlorio
22G here; on the road with a smartphone; hard to choose seats at 3G speeds. In the house, at least.**]

When I go to their website, I see exactly one seat left, all the way in the back of Section 9, and searching for any pair of seats together at all comes up empty. Am I the only one seeing that? I wouldn't be absolutely bowled over shocked to death if it sold out in one day, but it would sure surprise me a little.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: September 05, 2012 07:02PM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio

When I go to their website, I see exactly one seat left, all the way in the back of Section 9, and searching for any pair of seats together at all comes up empty. Am I the only one seeing that? I wouldn't be absolutely bowled over shocked to death if it sold out in one day, but it would sure surprise me a little.

I was seeing something similar at ~5:00 pm. So, I think it is possible.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2012 07:17PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio

I was seeing something similar at ~5:00 pm. So, I think it is possible.

There were never a great number of seats. The rest of my row were gone in a few minutes. Most of the rest were in the end, and even those weren't a large block, rather a few here and there. You can always try CU or the CC of Boston. And others might open up once they see who renews their season tickets.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 05, 2012 09:18PM

I got mine at about 9:30 this morning and already there were a number of sections showing sold out and the rest with limited availability. I grabbed 6 in Section 1, 3 on one side of the section, 3 on the other.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 10:09PM

Killer
I got mine at about 9:30 this morning and already there were a number of sections showing sold out and the rest with limited availability. I grabbed 6 in Section 1, 3 on one side of the section, 3 on the other.
Same experience at about the same time this morning. Must be holding some tickets back, or some other new ploy to avoid the usual embarrassingly-large Cornell crowd.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2012 12:34AM

At 11:04am there were only a smattering of singles left.

Date: September 06, 2012 12:38AM

I noticed the same thing shortly after 9am. Only a few single seats in the 'center ice' section on the cornell side, with some seats on the sides. Got tix in section 22. Last year there were a number of seats center ice, however, I believe CCOB had not set aside their normal block when tix went on sale last year. Seats must have been held this year, either by Harvard, CCOB or both.

Date: September 06, 2012 12:43AM

I called the ticket office this morning with a question and got through without much difficulty, so it's not like the phone lines were busy (I know, who buys tickets these days by talking to someone on the phone ..)

Date: September 06, 2012 01:42AM

Al DeFlorio
Killer
Same experience at about the same time this morning. Must be holding some tickets back, or some other new ploy to avoid the usual embarrassingly-large Cornell crowd.

The last couple of years (after they stopped playing tricks like 'we're not selling to CU fans' or 'you have to buy our 4-pack to get that game') they have been releasing tickets in phases. For example, the day tickets went on sale, they would have no tickets available for any search criteria, but several weeks later, there were tickets magically appearing. Also, there were no SRO tickets being sold today, which is what I usually try to get because they are cheaper and I usually stand in the back anyway.

I bought mine around 11:15 am, and I saw a smattering of singles in the corners, with about 4-5 sets of doubles still available.

All this said, that's a pretty sophisticated online ticket selection site, for a program like Harvard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 10:32AM

CowbellGuy
At 11:04am there were only a smattering of singles left.
You go to better parties than I.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.26.132.---)
Date: September 06, 2012 10:38AM

You still might be able to get a ticket if you pay for entry into CCoB's exclusive cool people pre-game party at John Harvard's!

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2012 04:45PM

The new RedCast improvement thread made me notice that Red Cast "really sucks," but Harvard only "sucks." That can't be right. Surely that's backwards. Red Cast may be bad, but is it really worse than Harvard?

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 05:03PM

It's just perspective - we have actual expectations for Red Cast.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: September 06, 2012 05:23PM

jtn27
The new RedCast improvement thread made me notice that Red Cast "really sucks," but Harvard only "sucks." That can't be right. Surely that's backwards. Red Cast may be bad, but is it really worse than Harvard?

I can't see how bad harvard is because redcast is so bad.

Date: September 06, 2012 06:25PM

jtn27

When Harvard is terrible it's good.

Date: September 07, 2012 11:33AM

Robb
It's just perspective - we have actual expectations for Red Cast.
Were this Facebook, you'd have an overload of Likes. Great line.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2012 12:56PM

jtn27
Harvard doesn't just "suck[]", Harvard "SUCKS".

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 08, 2012 12:57AM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
Killer

The last couple of years (after they stopped playing tricks like 'we're not selling to CU fans' or 'you have to buy our 4-pack to get that game') they have been releasing tickets in phases. For example, the day tickets went on sale, they would have no tickets available for any search criteria, but several weeks later, there were tickets magically appearing. Also, there were no SRO tickets being sold today, which is what I usually try to get because they are cheaper and I usually stand in the back anyway.

I bought mine around 11:15 am, and I saw a smattering of singles in the corners, with about 4-5 sets of doubles still available.

All this said, that's a pretty sophisticated online ticket selection site, for a program like Harvard.

And damn quick to get the tickets into the mail. Mine arrived Friday afternoon. Now the challenge is to put them someplace that I'll remember 5 months from now.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: September 11, 2012 08:51AM

While this is not hockey, it does pertain to Hahvahd Sucking:

Harvard senior co-captain Kyle Casey plans to withdraw from school and is likely to miss the entire 2012-13 season after being implicated in a widespread academic cheating scandal, multiple sources told SI.com.

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 08:53AM by Jordan 04.

Date: September 11, 2012 09:35AM

Cheer fodder, to be sure.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 02:10PM

Trotsky

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me a T

Whats that spell... Harvard

(I am sure the faithful can do better)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 11:19PM

Jordan 04

Harvard senior co-captain Kyle Casey plans to withdraw from school and is likely to miss the entire 2012-13 season after being implicated in a widespread academic cheating scandal, multiple sources told SI.com.

I saw something about this on the ESPN ticket earlier (because apparently Ivy League sports are important enough when it's Harvard) and I think it said one other player was implicated in addition to Casey.

Harvard sucks.

Date: September 12, 2012 12:59AM

Josh '99
Jordan 04

I saw something about this on the ESPN ticket earlier (because apparently Ivy League sports are important enough when it's Harvard) and I think it said one other player was implicated in addition to Casey.

Harvard sucks.

Co-captain and team assist leader Brandon Curry is also being investigated and will likely withdraw from Harvard too. It's in the link above.
That means Harvard will likely be without their top scorer and assist leader. So much for that second trip to the NCAA tournament. I guess they'll have to wait another 66 years

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 01:01AM by jtn27.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 02:00AM

jtn27
Josh '99
Jordan 04

Harvard sucks.

Co-captain and team assist leader Brandon Curry is also being investigated and will likely withdraw from Harvard too. It's in the link above.
That means Harvard will likely be without their top scorer and assist leader. So much for that second trip to the NCAA tournament. I guess they'll have to wait another 66 years
I read somewhere that it was Curry, Casey, and potentially another player. Also are we really complaining about something that makes Harvard look bad getting coverage (other than that it makes the league as a whole look bad, but my animosity toward Harvard is high enough that I don't care).

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 04:37AM

Towerroad
Trotsky

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me a T

Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: September 12, 2012 05:48AM

marty
Towerroad
Trotsky

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me a T

Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A

The best chants have some element of believability and I don't think anyone on here believes that Sucks students take even four classes.

Also, in this case, wouldn't it be "steal an A,..."?

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2012 06:46AM

css228
jtn27
Josh '99
Jordan 04

Harvard sucks.

I read somewhere that it was Curry, Casey, and potentially another player. Also are we really complaining about something that makes Harvard look bad getting coverage (other than that it makes the league as a whole look bad, but my animosity toward Harvard is high enough that I don't care).
I wasn't so much complaining about the fact that this particular incident was drawing attention to Harvard as about that they seemed to (though this is my subjective recollection and maybe I'm wrong) get so much more hype last year than the far-superior (IMO) Wittman-Dale-Foote Cornell teams of a few years back.

Date: September 12, 2012 07:48AM

Aaron M. Griffin
marty
Towerroad
Trotsky

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me a T

Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A

The best chants have some element of believability and I don't think anyone on here believes that Sucks students take even four classes.

I hate to break tradition but perhaps during the introductions we could put down our papers and just chant CHEATER...CHEATER slow and steady. I suspect that if this was taken up at every Ivy venue the punishment would be far worse, and more effective, that any doled out by the SUCKS admin.

Date: September 12, 2012 09:49AM

Towerroad
Aaron M. Griffin
marty
Towerroad
Trotsky

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me a T

Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A
Give me an A

I hate to break tradition but perhaps during the introductions we could put down our papers and just chant CHEATER...CHEATER slow and steady. I suspect that if this was taken up at every Ivy venue the punishment would be far worse, and more effective, that any doled out by the SUCKS admin.

Dangle the paper with one hand while taunting "Answer Key!"

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 12, 2012 10:14AM

Trotsky
Dangle the paper with one hand while taunting "Answer Key!"

rockrockrock

Three rocks.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 02:03PM

Josh '99
css228
jtn27
Josh '99
Jordan 04

Harvard sucks.

I wasn't so much complaining about the fact that this particular incident was drawing attention to Harvard as about that they seemed to (though this is my subjective recollection and maybe I'm wrong) get so much more hype last year than the far-superior (IMO) Wittman-Dale-Foote Cornell teams of a few years back.

Because Harvard is much more of a household name and sportswriters are tremendously lazy.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: September 12, 2012 02:16PM

French Rage
Josh '99
css228
jtn27
Josh '99
Jordan 04

Harvard sucks.

Because Harvard is much more of a household name and sportswriters are tremendously lazy.

This. Such is life.

Tim Tebow seemed to get so much more hype last year than the far-superior, well, everyone. 24/7 Matt Schaub coverage doesn't attract the eyeballs.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: September 12, 2012 04:04PM

1) I encourage and support all cheers dinging Harvard as cheaters.
2) This cheating scandal feels like heaps of bullshit. There is no way 125 kids got together and decided to cheat in direct contradiction to explicit instructions. Not because 125 kids wouldn't cheat in small ways but because a "conspiracy" that large is unlikely to go undetected. The more likely explanation is that the rules regarding cooperation and discussion were ambiguous at best or indicated that such collaboration was permitted at worst. The administration is letting the kids take the fall for something that was probably the professor's fault.

Date: September 12, 2012 09:07PM

ugarte
2) This cheating scandal feels like heaps of bullshit. There is no way 125 kids got together and decided to cheat in direct contradiction to explicit instructions. Not because 125 kids wouldn't cheat in small ways but because a "conspiracy" that large is unlikely to go undetected. The more likely explanation is that the rules regarding cooperation and discussion were ambiguous at best or indicated that such collaboration was permitted at worst. The administration is letting the kids take the fall for something that was probably the professor's fault.

Sounds like there was plenty of badness to go round.

Best quote:

In years past, the course, Introduction to Congress, had a reputation as one of the easiest at Harvard College. Some of the 279 students who took it in the spring semester said that the teacher, Matthew B. Platt, an assistant professor of government, told them at the outset that he gave high grades and that neither attending his lectures nor the discussion sessions with graduate teaching fellows was mandatory.

“He said, ‘I gave out 120 A’s last year, and I’ll give out 120 more,’ ” one accused student said.

But evaluations posted online by students after finals — before the cheating charges were made — in Harvard’s Q Guide were filled with seething assessments, and made clear that the class was no longer easy.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 12, 2012 09:09PM

You forgot to add, "3) Harvard sucks."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 09:10PM by Robb.

Date: September 12, 2012 09:30PM

Trotsky

Best quote:

In years past, the course, Introduction to Congress, had a reputation as one of the easiest at Harvard College. Some of the 279 students who took it in the spring semester said that the teacher, Matthew B. Platt, an assistant professor of government, told them at the outset that he gave high grades and that neither attending his lectures nor the discussion sessions with graduate teaching fellows was mandatory.

“He said, ‘I gave out 120 A’s last year, and I’ll give out 120 more,’ ” one accused student said.

But evaluations posted online by students after finals — before the cheating charges were made — in Harvard’s Q Guide were filled with seething assessments, and made clear that the class was no longer easy.
I think that the author grossly misunderstands Harvard College grading. A course in which only 43% of students get As is in fact hard by Harvard standards. So, there was likely no change in grading policy.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: September 13, 2012 08:16AM

Trotsky
ugarte

Best quote:

I liked the following "An accused sophomore said that in working on exams, “everybody went to the T.F.’s and begged for help. Some of the T.F.’s really laid it out for you, as explicit as you need, so of course the answers were the same.” "

Every time I took a prelim or final I would do the same thing. I would raise my hand and ask the proctor "What is the answer to number 27 oh and by the way, could you solve this problem for me?"

Frankly, I am surprised that Harvard even has exams since the grade is know before the class starts.

Oh, I almost forgot Harvard Sucks
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 08:18AM by Towerroad.

Date: September 13, 2012 10:46AM

Towerroad
Every time I took a prelim or final I would do the same thing. I would raise my hand and ask the proctor "What is the answer to number 27 oh and by the way, could you solve this problem for me?"

In the future Harvard should just distribute pre-answered exams and have the students fill their names in.

Harvardo delenda est.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 10:49AM by Trotsky.

Date: September 13, 2012 11:33AM

Towerroad
I liked the following "An accused sophomore said that in working on exams, “everybody went to the T.F.’s and begged for help. Some of the T.F.’s really laid it out for you, as explicit as you need, so of course the answers were the same.” "
That's my point, though. If the TF practice was to discuss the contents of an exam with the students, that's on the school for having a poorly explained (or enforced) policy regarding exams.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 01:07PM

Trotsky
Towerroad

In the future Harvard should just distribute pre-answered exams and have the students fill their names in.

Harvardo delenda est.

That is a lot of work, and they might get hand cramps. Better play it safe and just give everybody the grade they deserve. Ooops I meant an A not the grade they deserve.

Harvard sugit

Date: September 13, 2012 03:22PM

ugarte
Towerroad
That's my point, though. If the TF practice was to discuss the contents of an exam with the students, that's on the school for having a poorly explained (or enforced) policy regarding exams.

I'm inclined to agree with ugarte. I find it very hard to believe that 125 students all worked together on the exam (or in a series of interconnected groups). If it was 5 or 10 students, I would say they cheated, but 125 is just too high a number for me to accept that the professor or TF was not in any way responsible.

Date: September 13, 2012 05:04PM

jtn27
ugarte
Towerroad

I'm inclined to agree with ugarte. I find it very hard to believe that 125 students all worked together on the exam (or in a series of interconnected groups). If it was 5 or 10 students, I would say they cheated, but 125 is just too high a number for me to accept that the professor or TF was not in any way responsible.
I can understand what you're saying and it makes a lot f sense. On the other hand, Harvard has made a big enough deal out of this that they have attracted national, negative attention. I can easily imagine the prof making a stink and being unwilling to admit he might have made mistakes in instructions/whatever, but would the administration carry it this far along if there weren't some substance to the story?

Then again, the administration at Harvard sucks tyoo.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 07:23PM

KeithK
jtn27
ugarte
Towerroad

I can understand what you're saying and it makes a lot f sense. On the other hand, Harvard has made a big enough deal out of this that they have attracted national, negative attention. I can easily imagine the prof making a stink and being unwilling to admit he might have made mistakes in instructions/whatever, but would the administration carry it this far along if there weren't some substance to the story?

Yup.

Date: September 14, 2012 03:59PM

ugarte
KeithK
jtn27
ugarte
Towerroad

Yup.

The admin being a subset of Harvard would of course suck. The quesiton I have is if Harvard=Sucks, would it be appropriate for a Red
Sox fan to say "Yankees harvard!"? If so would it then be appropriate to say "Harvard harvards."?

Date: September 19, 2012 12:47PM

The more I read about the nature of the cheating the less I stand by my feeling that the students (as a group) are being railroaded. If people were cut-and-pasting material that was being shared, that's obviously bullshit. That isn't collaboration and consultation; it's closer to plagiarism.

Date: September 19, 2012 02:02PM

ugarte
The more I read about the nature of the cheating the less I stand by my feeling that the students (as a group) are being railroaded. If people were cut-and-pasting material that was being shared, that's obviously bullshit. That isn't collaboration and consultation; it's closer to plagiarism.

Are you suggesting that the suck at cheating too?

Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login