We're gonna be in the news again

Started by stereax, March 10, 2025, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George64

Quote from: Dafatone on October 05, 2026, 04:33:56 PMMaybe what I want is for campus PD to take "PD" out of their names and just be campus security or something, then.

As I recall, at one time, it was called the Safety Division.

upprdeck

you might need to have the townie friends work on their TCAT budget numbers logic.

stereax

Quote from: upprdeck on October 05, 2026, 08:30:12 PMyou might need to have the townie friends work on their TCAT budget numbers logic.
possible, or I might be doing that thing where I remember things completely incorrectly
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!
it's ster-e-ax, like stereo

chimpfood

Quote from: BearLover on October 05, 2026, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on October 05, 2026, 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.
Regardless of why it was instituted, the fact minor offenses like underage drinking went through the Cornell judicial system rather than the legal system was honestly very helpful to students. Meeting with drug counselor is a lot fairer and more helpful of a "punishment" than going to court.
Campus PD sends people to court for stuff like underage drinking, check out the city court after slope day. It's more essays and stuff for students caught with alcohol by RAs, etc.

BearLover

Quote from: chimpfood on Today at 12:58:04 AM
Quote from: BearLover on October 05, 2026, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on October 05, 2026, 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.
Regardless of why it was instituted, the fact minor offenses like underage drinking went through the Cornell judicial system rather than the legal system was honestly very helpful to students. Meeting with drug counselor is a lot fairer and more helpful of a "punishment" than going to court.
Campus PD sends people to court for stuff like underage drinking, check out the city court after slope day. It's more essays and stuff for students caught with alcohol by RAs, etc.
I was confusing the Cornell police with the broader Cornell judicial system. I guess I don't really understand the distinction. In my experience (15ish years ago), most of my friends got referred to the judicial administrator at one point or another for a minor offense, usually underage drinking, but also stuff like getting caught smoking weed at Beebe Lake or trying to get into a bar with a fake ID. None of them went to city court; their matters were dealt with entirely within the Cornell judicial system.

upprdeck

I saw that SU released its 2025 safety report last week and the sex offense cases went from 4 to 10 last yr.

Trotsky

QuoteSU

Stanford?
Seattle?
Suffolk?

George64

NY Times: Cornell Faculty Members Signal Deep Anger With University Leaders

Being a university president is a tough job. They need to please three constituencies —

Alumni who want a winning football team
Students who want more sex
And faculty who want better parking

One out of three isn't bad! 

Seriously, what more was the administration supposed to do?  They offered the entire 120 page Jane Doe interview transcript to the DA, conducted a lengthy Title IX investigation, expelled, suspended, and/or declared persona non grata each of the seven.  My only question is why "I'm 100 percent certain I was raped" was omitted from the six page summary originally sent to the DA.


George64

NY Times article about Sally Yates appointment.

Dafatone

Quote from: George64 on Today at 01:23:42 PMNY Times: Cornell Faculty Members Signal Deep Anger With University Leaders

Being a university president is a tough job. They need to please three constituencies —

Alumni who want a winning football team
Students who want more sex
And faculty who want better parking

One out of three isn't bad! 

Seriously, what more was the administration supposed to do?  They offered the entire 120 page Jane Doe interview transcript to the DA, conducted a lengthy Title IX investigation, expelled, suspended, and/or declared persona non grata each of the seven.  My only question is why "I'm 100 percent certain I was raped" was omitted from the six page summary originally sent to the DA.

See, I actually think Cornell University president is a fairly easy job. It's an extremely prestigious and storied institution sitting on a large pile of endowment riches. All you really need to do is make sure that the school's reputation doesn't get rocked by a huge scandal.

Which is one of the reasons I'm all for Kotlikoff (and others) losing their jobs. He doesn't have a right to be university president. Even if this isn't his "fault", oh well, shit happens, go find another job.

upprdeck

While Cornell is getting dumped on here, not much has come out yet that really shows Cornell did much wrong yet.

George64

I agree, and I hope that Sally Yates' investigation will put an end to the rampant speculation as to who did what and to whom.  She has excellent bona fides.  She was appointed US Deputy AG (second highest position in the DOJ) in 2015 and fired as Acting AG in very early 2017 for insubordination.