We're gonna be in the news again

Started by stereax, March 10, 2025, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeeej

Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.
Beeeej, Esq.

"Cornell isn't an organization.  It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
   - Steve Worona

stereax

Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.
Also why you gotta be really careful with how you frame things as well, and how so much of modern social media goes nuts very quickly over the first thing that hits the news.
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!
it's ster-e-ax, like stereo

Dafatone

Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.

I think the DA was very mistaken in categorizing the victim's initial report as saying the encounter was "consensual."

It seems to me that there was initial consent, then somewhere along the way with the addition of more drugs and more men, her ability to consent was hampered.

Given NY's (and several other states') horrifying nonsense voluntary intoxication law, I can understand why a prosecutor might look at this and think it is not a winnable case. But that's different than affirming the encounter as consensual.

Beeeej

Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 12:23:07 PM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.

I think the DA was very mistaken in categorizing the victim's initial report as saying the encounter was "consensual."

It seems to me that there was initial consent, then somewhere along the way with the addition of more drugs and more men, her ability to consent was hampered.

Given NY's (and several other states') horrifying nonsense voluntary intoxication law, I can understand why a prosecutor might look at this and think it is not a winnable case. But that's different than affirming the encounter as consensual.

I would read his recent statement again. Affirming the encounter as consensual is not the same thing as determining that the facts in the report don't meet the requirements for charging a crime. People may not like that they're not the same, but they're not.
Beeeej, Esq.

"Cornell isn't an organization.  It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
   - Steve Worona

Chris '03

Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.

I think the strategy involves the fact that cupd apparently withheld the transcript of the interview and drafted a statement for her to sign that omitted material information that was disclosed in the interview.

I completely understand how what was apparently conveyed to the DA did not seem chargeable. But that seems to be the fault of cupd limiting what was conveyed in a way that would result in that conclusion.
"Mark Mazzoleni looks like a guy whose dog just died out there..."

The Rancor

Not guilty because of lack of "incontovertible proof" or "an airtight case" or whatever legal backflips you need to do to justify the University or DA's position, doesn't meant that it didn't happen, wasn't scarring, horrible and despicable and unfortunately quite common. 8% of reported rape ends in conviction, and estimated only 40% are ever reported to the police. Don't be gross.

Beeeej

Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 01:00:47 PMNot guilty because of lack of "incontovertible proof" or "an airtight case" or whatever legal backflips you need to do to justify the University or DA's position, doesn't meant that it didn't happen, wasn't scarring, horrible and despicable and unfortunately quite common. 8% of reported rape ends in conviction, and estimated only 40% are ever reported to the police. Don't be gross.

Read what I've actually said again, please. If you still feel I'm "justifying" the university's and/or DA's position, denying that it happened, denying that it was scarring, horrible, and despicable, or insisting that "incontrovertible proof" is required for charging or conviction, then you're not reading what I've actually said. "Gross" is subjective, but if you're basing it on the foregoing, please take a break and come back later.
Beeeej, Esq.

"Cornell isn't an organization.  It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
   - Steve Worona

underskill

Well if Al Jazeera covers it maybe they can close the Qatar campus finally.

Dafatone

Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:27:03 PM
Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 12:23:07 PM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on Today at 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on Today at 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 07:08:15 AMIt is bracing to see stories on this running at the top of the sites for DW, France24, and Al Jazeera.

This is now the only thing 98% of high school students know about Cornell.
This and the bear.

I'm watching law school reddits be like "we should stop applying to Cornell!" like they don't know the law school is mostly independent of the undergraduate schools, or that there isn't frat life in law school... Interesting times we live in.

The administration that was responsible for handling Cornell's response to these events is not merely in charge of the undergraduate schools, nor only of Greek Life. And sexual assault happens everywhere. While I hate the knee-jerk reaction so many people are having without waiting for all the facts, I absolutely don't think it's unreasonable for those having such a reaction to look at Cornell's Ithaca campus as a whole as "implicated" in the response.

"Why does every woman know another woman that was raped. But no man knows a rapist?" Waiting for all the facts?

Speaking solely as a hypothetical disinterested attorney asked to represent Jane Doe in the civil lawsuit, the initial report she filed that was the basis for the DA not filing charges tells a radically different story from what's being alleged now, and I'm not sure I could recommend a strategy to overcome it. Yes. Waiting for all the facts. That doesn't mean I think she's lying or that it didn't happen, and it doesn't mean I think the university's response was entirely proper, it means that I think it's not an airtight case and people are reacting as if the university ignored incontrovertible proof.

I think the DA was very mistaken in categorizing the victim's initial report as saying the encounter was "consensual."

It seems to me that there was initial consent, then somewhere along the way with the addition of more drugs and more men, her ability to consent was hampered.

Given NY's (and several other states') horrifying nonsense voluntary intoxication law, I can understand why a prosecutor might look at this and think it is not a winnable case. But that's different than affirming the encounter as consensual.

I would read his recent statement again. Affirming the encounter as consensual is not the same thing as determining that the facts in the report don't meet the requirements for charging a crime. People may not like that they're not the same, but they're not.

"Jane Doe's sworn statement in November of 2024 did not allege that she was drugged against her will or gang raped. On the contrary, Jane Doe's statement described her participation in drug use
and sexual conduct as voluntary, conscious, and consensual."

I think that second sentence goes too far. I think the conduct started that way and then likely became something else, and that the various quotes from Ms. Doe's 2024 statement that follow line up with this interpretation.

George64

This from The Free Press:

When Victoria Ingalls heard a knock on her front door, she feared that the worst had happened to her son, Matthew Ingalls, who is an active-duty sergeant in the Marine Corps. Instead, the stranger on her doorstep handed her a 101-page lawsuit that accused her son of being among the seven Cornell students who allegedly raped a female student.

But her son never went to Cornell. The court had the wrong Matthew Ingalls.

Needless to say, this Ingalls family had been vilified on the internet.

George64

For a change of pace, Greg Morrisett , Vice Provost and Dean of Cornell Tech, quoted several times about AI (not, thankfully about Chi Phi).