We're gonna be in the news again

Started by stereax, March 10, 2025, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimpfood

I really don't get what people wanted the university to do different. The original statement given by the girl was completely different than the one now which kind of handcuffed the university. Plus you don't want to set a precedent of expulsion before the actual legal system takes its course. Rape is horrible and a real issue on college campuses but i can't understand why we're acting like it's particularly bad here or this is the administrations fault because it's not

BearLover

Quote from: chimpfood on Today at 10:01:49 AMI really don't get what people wanted the university to do different. The original statement given by the girl was completely different than the one now which kind of handcuffed the university. Plus you don't want to set a precedent of expulsion before the actual legal system takes its course. Rape is horrible and a real issue on college campuses but i can't understand why we're acting like it's particularly bad here or this is the administrations fault because it's not
I partially agree with this but didn't the police investigation reveal things that went way beyond her original statement? What do you mean by "original statement"?

Dafatone

Quote from: BearLover on Today at 10:55:38 AM
Quote from: chimpfood on Today at 10:01:49 AMI really don't get what people wanted the university to do different. The original statement given by the girl was completely different than the one now which kind of handcuffed the university. Plus you don't want to set a precedent of expulsion before the actual legal system takes its course. Rape is horrible and a real issue on college campuses but i can't understand why we're acting like it's particularly bad here or this is the administrations fault because it's not
I partially agree with this but didn't the police investigation reveal things that went way beyond her original statement? What do you mean by "original statement"?

I think (emphasis on think, I very well could be wrong) CUPD had screenshots of the frat groupchat and did not provide those to the DA's office.

Broadly speaking, I don't like the idea of a police department that is employed by the university.

BearLover

Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: BearLover on Today at 10:55:38 AM
Quote from: chimpfood on Today at 10:01:49 AMI really don't get what people wanted the university to do different. The original statement given by the girl was completely different than the one now which kind of handcuffed the university. Plus you don't want to set a precedent of expulsion before the actual legal system takes its course. Rape is horrible and a real issue on college campuses but i can't understand why we're acting like it's particularly bad here or this is the administrations fault because it's not
I partially agree with this but didn't the police investigation reveal things that went way beyond her original statement? What do you mean by "original statement"?

I think (emphasis on think, I very well could be wrong) CUPD had screenshots of the frat groupchat and did not provide those to the DA's office.
I'm not sure myself whether that's specifically true, but as a general matter, even if, arguendo, the victim's original statement said the sex was consensual, if further investigation reveals it wasn't, then why should the university be handcuffed by the original statement?

stereax

Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 11:06:00 AMBroadly speaking, I don't like the idea of a police department that is employed by the university.
Internal police - employed by, paid by, governed by Cornell - is generally going to lead to that police working for Cornell in cases like these. I had my own run-ins with them last year, and even then I considered them slimy. They want to keep crime rates low because it looks better for the school. It's not an actually independent policing wing.

On the other hand, the town is already dealing with budgetary issues and things of the like. My townie friends concur - for instance, they've said that while a TCAT ride costs $1.50, the actual cost to the town is closer to $9. Cornell doesn't want to pay the town more to help run it.

Moving CUPD to IPD control would be a pain to do logistically - benefits, health insurance, retirement packages are all under Cornell control. The CUPD union would probably go berserk at having to merge that with IPD, especially with tenure things. Plus, Cornell would then practically have to contribute significant funding to IPD to keep these extra officers paid for - which they're not going to be keen on.
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!
it's ster-e-ax, like stereo

BearLover

I figured the point of campus PD was to insulate kids from real legal repercussions from dumb/minor things kids typically do in college. I would imagine the vast majority of CUPD cases involve underage drinking or dumb shit like public urination. For these types of infractions, it's better for offenders to receive penalties like meeting with a counselor and/or essay writing than forcing them to go through the legal system. Obviously, if a harm rises to the level of sexual assault, then the real legal system needs to get involved. But campus police and an on-campus judicial system for minor offenses seems preferable to the alternative.

Trotsky

The point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.

Dafatone

Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.

Maybe what I want is for campus PD to take "PD" out of their names and just be campus security or something, then.

Trotsky

#353
Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: BearLover on Today at 10:55:38 AM
Quote from: chimpfood on Today at 10:01:49 AMI really don't get what people wanted the university to do different. The original statement given by the girl was completely different than the one now which kind of handcuffed the university. Plus you don't want to set a precedent of expulsion before the actual legal system takes its course. Rape is horrible and a real issue on college campuses but i can't understand why we're acting like it's particularly bad here or this is the administrations fault because it's not
I partially agree with this but didn't the police investigation reveal things that went way beyond her original statement? What do you mean by "original statement"?

I think (emphasis on think, I very well could be wrong) CUPD had screenshots of the frat groupchat and did not provide those to the DA's office.

Broadly speaking, I don't like the idea of a police department that is employed by the university.
There's contradictory information circulating in the media.  Generally speaking, if you've ever been an insider in an event that went public you know reporting has zero relationship to facts and "news" is not real, it is entertainment. 

One narrative is she gave extensive testimony to CUPD, they gave her a summary statement to sign, she signed it, it went to IPD.  CUPD says they also included the raw data.  The DA says, well, he never saw it.  This doesn't mean somebody is lying, but it does mean somebody someplace done fucked up.

The victim likely did not give wildly contradictory statements.  I can't find any support for that accusation.  It's click bait for fasc derps who when they hear a rape story have the psychological need to assume the woman is lying or crazy.

Nobody knows.  The legal result probably won't reflect truth.  Life is just to die. 

Sweet Jane Doe.

Trotsky

#354
Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.

Maybe what I want is for campus PD to take "PD" out of their names and just be campus security or something, then.
Assume every entity that starts "Cornell" and does not end "hockey" is a racket.

Andrew would be heartbroken.  Ezra would say "what did you think would happen you moron?"

And that's why they named it after Ezra.

Weder

Quote from: Dafatone on Today at 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.

Maybe what I want is for campus PD to take "PD" out of their names and just be campus security or something, then.

One thing I was looking for and haven't been able to figure out -- at what point did CUPD become a department of  deputized officers instead of just a security force? I feel like they have been deputies for as long as I can recall, but I realized I don't know if there was an event/incident that led to this or if they just decided at some point they wanted to be real cops.
3/8/96

BearLover

Quote from: Trotsky on Today at 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.
Regardless of why it was instituted, the fact minor offenses like underage drinking went through the Cornell judicial system rather than the legal system was honestly very helpful to students. Meeting with drug counselor is a lot fairer and more helpful of a "punishment" than going to court.