We're gonna be in the news again

Started by stereax, March 10, 2025, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearLover

Quote from: underskill on Today at 10:15:43 AMSomehow I don't think a drug fueled threesome equates to resisting nazis.

https://www.tmz.com/2026/10/09/cornell-jane-doe-texts-with-accused-fraternity-brother-about-rumors/
Trostky is just LARPing again. This obviously has no relation to resisting Nazis.

With that being said, if your point is that the victim changed her tune, well, I don't think that has much bearing on whether she was sexually assaulted. She was not aware of the men inviting their entire frat house into the bedroom, and even beyond that there is the question of her consent under the influence of drugs which the frat gave to her.

underskill

It does have a bearing on how the investigation was handled and the need for letting the process play out. We should have learned that from the Duke and UVA cases.

BearLover

#392
Quote from: underskill on Today at 11:39:52 AMIt does have a bearing on how the investigation was handled and the need for letting the process play out. We should have learned that from the Duke and UVA cases.
We should let the process play out. But just because Jane Doe consented to a threesome with two guys doesn't mean she consented to sex with a host of other guys.

And at the time she was evidently supportive of the two guys, she hadn't realized yet they had summoned the rest of their frat into the bedroom.

TimV

Quote from: Trotsky on October 07, 2026, 06:02:00 PMMaybe countenancing the rape culture of jocks and fraternities for the last century?



I agree that something MUST be done.  You start.  Tear up your hockey tickets and demand to have your name removed from the season ticket list. ::)
"Yo Paulie - I don't see no crowd gathering 'round you neither."

RichH

Quote from: stereax on October 05, 2026, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: cth95 on October 05, 2026, 06:15:37 PM
Quote from: Dafatone on October 05, 2026, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on October 05, 2026, 04:26:50 PMThe point of campus PD is to protect Cornell from liability arising from students' actions.  HR is not there for you.

Maybe what I want is for campus PD to take "PD" out of their names and just be campus security or something, then.
The name was changed from something like Cornell Public Safety to Cornell University Police while I was there in the early 90's.  I believe the idea was to give them more respect and authority.  Someone else on here may remember more details.
This archived article from 2004 notes that CUPD are peace officers, not police officers: Link.

Article from 2006 notes "almost 16 years" after a name change from peace officer to police officer, so 1990: Link.

CUPD now has full police authority, including arrests, as per the most recent annual safety report. However, they are technically still peace officers, from my understanding.

Sometime while I was an undergrad, so 1992-1996, they announced the name change from "Department of Public Safety" to "Cornell University Police Department." The signs changed, new paint jobs on the cars, and (I'm a little hazy on this) the officers were now allowed to carry firearms. They went from being the people who answered the blue light phones to more of a force who showed up at loud parties and wrote a ton more parking tickets.