Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

# all gone (o.t.)

Posted by The Rancor 
# all gone (o.t.)
Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 09:57PM

from NHL.com

All Gone -- And then there were none. When Montreal rookie Guillaume Latendresse took the ice for his first NHL game, he wore No. 84. Not only was he the first player in league history to wear that number, as the Society For International Hockey Research notes, the use of No. 84 means that every number from 1 to 99 has been used on an NHL jersey.

interesting. will they ever go to 3# jerseys? (ex- 747)

Re: # all gone (o.t.)
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:30PM

The Rancor
interesting. will they ever go to 3# jerseys? (ex- 747)
Maybe they'll go with fractions, a la Blernsball.

Kyle

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:48PM

They should start using imaginary numbers. That would be unreal.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:13AM

There's a Society for International Hockey Research?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 08:20AM

Anybody ever worn 0? rolleyes

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 09:02AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I think Greg Otto of the Oakland Raiders wore 00.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 11:38AM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
I think he meant in the NHL.

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2006 11:42AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Martin Biron wore 00, until the NHL decreed that only numbers 1 through 98 would be allowed.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (208.97.246.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 11:50AM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82

Jim Otto.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:35PM

dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

Martin Biron wore 00, until the NHL decreed that only numbers 1 through 98 would be allowed.

why not 99?

Posted by: Tub(a) (130.49.174.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:37PM

Liz '05
dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

why not 99?

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:38PM

Liz '05
dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

why not 99?
Probably universally retired, no?

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:49PM

ugarte
Liz '05
dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

why not 99?

Aye.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:52PM

ugarte
Liz '05
dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

why not 99?

Jackie Robinson was The Great Emancipator. What did tGO ever do in the way of transcendent social significance -- nail a mediocre SoCal model with a gambling habit?

Teams should retire numbers for a set period of time after the player's retirement -- say, 100 years -- then put them back into service. How many single digit numbers are left for the Yankees?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:59PM

Would YOU want to be the next guy to wear 99, even if it were in the twenty-second century?

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 03:07PM

John Davidson wore "00" for one season I believe as a Ranger, until he was no longer allowed to do so.

I recall Don Cutts wearing it while at RPI in the early 70s.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2006 03:08PM

Trotsky
Teams should retire numbers for a set period of time after the player's retirement -- say, 100 years -- then put them back into service. How many single digit numbers are left for the Yankees?

2 (Jeter) and 6 (Torre) are left. I assume 2 will be retired when Jeter is all done though.

Posted by: seth (192.193.220.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 03:09PM

How many single digit numbers are left for the Yankees?

Two.

2, which will probably be retired for Jeter, and 6, which is Torre.

Date: October 16, 2006 03:13PM

Trotsky
[

Jackie Robinson was The Great Emancipator. What did tGO ever do in the way of transcendent social significance -- nail a mediocre SoCal model with a gambling habit?

Since when is "social significance" the requirement for having your number retired? Do you want to pull down all the retired Celtics' uniforms? And Yankees? etc, etc...

What's with the cheap shots at Gretzky and Janet Jones?

Setting aside the social significance aspect, it's fair to say that 99's impact on the game changed it significantly, not to mention that his presence dramatically increased fan interest in the western US.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2006 05:26PM by Rich S.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 03:25PM

Rich S
Since when is "social significance" the requirement for having your number retired? Do you want to pull down all the retired Celtics' uniforms? And Yankees? etc, etc...

From the overall context, I gathered Trotsky was talking about universal retirement of a number - i.e., when all the teams in a sport retire it, a la Robinson. Social significance certainly isn't a "requirement," but I'm not aware of any requirements for any retirement of numbers of any kind.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 16, 2006 04:03PM

dietlbomb
ugarte
Liz '05
dietlbomb
Jeff Hopkins '82

why not 99?

Aye.

Ah, I hadn't realized it was universally retired. It makes sense, I just didn't know it was an option. Thanks, guys.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 04:22PM

Rich S
John Davidson wore "00" for one season I believe as a Ranger, until he was no longer allowed to do so.

I recall Don Cutts wearing it while at RPI in the early 70s.
Cutts wore 0, not 00.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 04:23PM

Rich S

I forgot about Davidson.

And unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember him doing that (not to mention old enough to forget him doing that).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 04:32PM

Trotsky

Retiring numbers in honor of their achievements on the field is a great tradition. It reminds people about those who have come before and IMO is especially important for a sport like baseball that celebrates its history. OTOH, I think it was wrong to retire #42 throughout baseball. Honor the man and what he accomplished, create exhibits dedicated to his legacy in the National baseball Museum, whatever. But he never wore #42 for the Yankees, so why should it be retired in the Bronx? (It's not retired yet since Mariano Rivera still wears it [grandfathered] and the number will certainly be retired for the Sandman.) Naturally the Dodgers should have retired his number though...

Others have pointed out #2 and #6. Torre is likely to have his number retired too, so it may be zero single digits in pinstripes within a decade or so.

Date: October 16, 2006 04:55PM

Ralph,

In at least one Ice Carnival game at Clarkson, which was always vs RPI, he wore "00". I believe there's a photo of it in the Clarkson yearbook that year.

Date: October 16, 2006 05:38PM

KeithK
Torre is likely to have his number retired too
Predicting a championship in the Bronx in '07? Or that the announcement that #6 is being retired will be made at the same press conference introducing Joe Girardi as the new manager?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 06:08PM

Just goes to show that sorority girls know nothing about hockey.

*hides under his steelcase desk*

Date: October 16, 2006 10:19PM

Ben Rocky 04

*starts hitting ben with her sorority paddle*

:-P

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 10:25PM

Liz '05
Ben Rocky 04

*starts hitting ben with her sorority paddle*

:-P

Be careful. He might start to like it. :-D

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 11:10PM

"thankyousirmayihaveanother!"

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 17, 2006 11:27AM

Beeeej
Rich S

From the overall context, I gathered Trotsky was talking about universal retirement of a number - i.e., when all the teams in a sport retire it, a la Robinson. Social significance certainly isn't a "requirement," but I'm not aware of any requirements for any retirement of numbers of any kind.

You don't even have to be a good player. (See: Rizzuto, Phil.)

Date: October 17, 2006 12:25PM

ugarte
KeithK
Torre is likely to have his number retired too
Predicting a championship in the Bronx in '07? Or that the announcement that #6 is being retired will be made at the same press conference introducing Joe Girardi as the new manager?
Nope. But there's already ample talk of Joe being elected to the hall of Fame someday, even with the Yankees recent "struggles". Even if he's upset with Joe now, that doesn't mean he wouldn't have a change of heart later and want to honor him. He retired Billy Martin's number, for crying out loud.

Date: October 17, 2006 12:40PM

jmh30
Oh please. Rizzuto very much was a good player. Very solid hitting stats for a pre 90's shortstop, excellent defensively, won an MVP award and was a very important part of the Yankees championship clubs of that era. Is he a marginal Hall of Famer? Sure. Was he a good player? Absolutely.

Date: October 17, 2006 12:47PM

KeithK
jmh30
Oh please. Rizzuto very much was a good player. Very solid hitting stats for a pre 90's shortstop, excellent defensively, won an MVP award and was a very important part of the Yankees championship clubs of that era. Is he a marginal Hall of Famer? Sure. Was he a good player? Absolutely.
Not to mention his contributions in the booth. I loved listening to every unintentionally hilarious second of his calls.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2006 03:52PM

ugarte
KeithK
jmh30
Not to mention his contributions in the booth. I loved listening to every unintentionally hilarious second of his calls.

I still remember fondly the time he got so excited about the penant race that he forgot his own name. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 18, 2006 12:04AM

KeithK
jmh30

Agreed although by recent standards, he's better than a "marginal HOFer." Both he and Peewee Reese are bonafide inductees considering that defense was the primary contribution of shortstops in that era.

He was so hilarious as a broadcaster, I think he should be inducted in that wing as well. :-D

Actually, he was very good behind the mike until his later years when he stopped working at it and kinda coasted. Thank God he had Bill White ("hey White!";), and others to carry him.

I can recall that he stopped learning the names of the new stars.

Date: October 18, 2006 12:39PM

I absolutely loved listening to Rizzuto broadcast games. It was like watching a game with an old uncle who loved to tell stories. As long as there was a straight man in the booth to make sure you knew what was happening on the field (at least for radio) it was great. White, Messer and Rizzuto are my all time favorite team, though the fact that they were broadcasting during the first 8 years of my baseball fandom may have something to do with this.

I didn't realize that Rizzuto is currently the oldest living HoF'er. May he hold that title for a long time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login