Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

How Does Yale Spell "Relief"?

Posted by Trotsky 
How Does Yale Spell "Relief"?
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 04:41PM

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Yale has relieved Tim Taylor of his head coaching duties, ending the legendary coach's 28-year tenure behind the Bulldogs' bench.

“Tim Taylor has been an exceptional coach, mentor and ambassador of Yale hockey as well as all of amateur hockey for 30 years," said athletic director Tom Beckett in a statement from the school. "We are extremely respectful and appreciative of his service to Yale and his dedication and loyalty to the men of Yale hockey. We believe, however, that now is the time to provide new leadership for the next generation of student-athletes in this program.”

Yale will offer Taylor reassignment within the athletic department. No announcement was made regarding the search for a successor.

Taylor’s 28th and final Yale season ended with a 10-20-3 record and an ECAC Hockey League quarterfinal playoff loss at Dartmouth on March 11. The Bulldogs finished 11th in the conference this year and have had only one winning season since 1997-98.

Taylor's record with the Bulldogs finished at 337-433-55. He coached all six of the school’s Hobey Baker Award finalists and is in his 30th year at the school. He took two leaves of absence to coach U.S. Olympic Teams.

Taylor, who coached more games (825) than anyone in the history of the ECAC Hockey League, has more victories than any Yale hockey mentor. His tenure at Ingalls Rink included one conference title, 19 ECACHL playoff appearances and a pair of 20-win seasons. Taylor was the national coach of the year in 1997-98 when the Bulldogs captured the conference regular-season title and played in the NCAA Tournament. He has been conference coach of the year three times and has also won six Ivy League championships.

Taylor’s last victory, a 3-2 win over Union on March 4, happened to be the longest (141:35) game in the history of NCAA men’s hockey. That win sealed the two-game sweep in the first round of the conference playoffs and sent the Elis into the quarterfinals against ECACHL regular-season champion Dartmouth.

Re: How Does Yale Spell "Relief"?
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 04:45PM

Trotsky
http://insidecollegehockey.com/INCH.htm

Yale has relieved Tim Taylor of his head coaching duties, ending the legendary coach's 28-year tenure behind the Bulldogs' bench.

HOLY CRAP!!! Didn't see that coming. Taylor was the ECAC's less successful version of Jack Parker. I thought he'd have that job as long as he wanted it. Big big news.

I wonder if they offered him a chance to "retire?"

Date: March 28, 2006 04:47PM

RichH
Taylor was the ECAC's less successful version of Jack Parker.

That's putting it mildly. He coached 18 losing teams. That's Connie Mack territory.

Date: March 28, 2006 04:52PM

Trotsky
RichH

That's putting it mildly. He coached 18 losing teams. That's Connie Mack territory.

True enough. An elder statesman for the league, however, and a well respected personality. I believe that leaves Coach Schafer #2 in terms of league coaching seniority (with one team), after Joe Marsh.

Someone up at Yale has a tail! Or at least a vision that hockey could be high-profile enough in New Haven to bring in some $ with some actual success. I think this is a good thing for the league.

Edit: Nope. Don Vaughan has been at Colgate since '92-'93. My bad.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 04:56PM by RichH.

Date: March 28, 2006 04:53PM

Schafer is now fourth among active ECAC coaches in wins:

379 Joe Marsh, SLU (21 seasons)
226 Bob Gaudet, Dartmouth (18)
224 Don Vaughn, Colgate (13)
221 Mike Schafer, Cornell (11)

Date: March 28, 2006 04:55PM

Here was the comparison chart at the beginning of this season: [www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 05:11PM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH

Someone up at Yale has a tail! Or at least a vision that hockey could be high-profile enough in New Haven to bring in some $ with some actual success. I think this is a good thing for the league.

Well, the ex-NHL alum route clearly worked for Harvard.

You think the old boys at Yale might want to give their very own ex-NYR player "volunteer coach" a shot at the head coaching slot? Assuming of course, that he graduates first :)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:26PM

Trotsky
RichH

Except that Connie Mack intentionally tore apart his winning teams. There was a great quote attributed to him to the effect that he wanted a team that was good enough to stay in the pennant race for most of the year but would fade at the end. That way the fans stay interested, but you never have to pay your players for their success.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:45PM

I'd love to see Casey Jones get a shot. I don't know whether there's any interest, but I'd like to see what he could do with his own program.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:16PM

Great "commentary" from Adam...
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:30PM

Hmmm, interesting. Not sure I agree, but then again I'll admit that Adam is certainly much more of a hockey expert than I am.

Basically it seems to come down to the fact that Yales failures to really compete were not Tim's fault, but rather due to the situation of the institution itself. Its admission requirements are among the highest in the nation, in a peer group with pretty much only Princeton and Harvard (among hockey schools).

Fair enough, I can agree with that. But then how do you explain Harvards significantly greater achievements. Adam's answer, tradition and Boston. I dunno if I buy that. Traditions are built, not there by magic, and Taylor had a good half to third of a lifetime to build one and couldn't. Boston, well, who knows. Adam may be right, or maybe it had more to do with Taylor and administration committment. And perhaps we'll begin to find out.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:36AM

DeltaOne81
Hmmm, interesting. Not sure I agree, but then again I'll admit that Adam is certainly much more of a hockey expert than I am.

Basically it seems to come down to the fact that Yales failures to really compete were not Tim's fault, but rather due to the situation of the institution itself. Its admission requirements are among the highest in the nation, in a peer group with pretty much only Princeton and Harvard (among hockey schools).

Fair enough, I can agree with that. But then how do you explain Harvards significantly greater achievements. Adam's answer, tradition and Boston. I dunno if I buy that. Traditions are built, not there by magic, and Taylor had a good half to third of a lifetime to build one and couldn't. Boston, well, who knows. Adam may be right, or maybe it had more to do with Taylor and administration committment. And perhaps we'll begin to find out.

Yale has tough admissions requirements and that puts it in the same league as Princeton and probably Harvard. Some say Harvard is more accommodating of a greater number of athletes who're qualified to do Harvard work but not in the top tier of applicants. In addition to the important Harvard-is-in-Boston advantage, only Harvard is Harvard -- if you're going to shoot for an Ivy League school with max recognition, that's Harvard, and every other Ivy School no matter how good is in second place.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:49AM

KeithK
Trotsky
RichH

Except that Connie Mack intentionally tore apart his winning teams. There was a great quote attributed to him to the effect that he wanted a team that was good enough to stay in the pennant race for most of the year but would fade at the end. That way the fans stay interested, but you never have to pay your players for their success.

Seems nothing has changed in Philly, as far as baseball is concerned. rolleyes

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:57AM

I second the Casey Jones suggestion, although I wonder if OSU's disappointing season will impact his chances. We'll see Casey in Ithaca if he sticks with it and waits another 10+ years for Schafer to win a couple of national championships.

I have to admit I was surprised given Yale's record the last 10 seasons or so that Taylor was seemingly never under pressure. The guy went to one NCAA tourney and won one ECAC title. For most people, that is not enough over almost 30 years. Nonetheless, the man had the respect of his peers and the Yale administration (until the end) and I hope he stays at Yale in some capacity. I wonder what the players think of this.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:06AM

RatushnyFan
I second the Casey Jones suggestion, although I wonder if OSU's disappointing season will impact his chances. We'll see Casey in Ithaca if he sticks with it and waits another 10+ years for Schafer to win a couple of national championships.

Casey can hone his coaching skills at Yale while Mike wins the titles for Cornell. Best of both worlds. :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:28AM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan

Casey can hone his coaching skills at Yale while Mike wins the titles for Cornell. Best of both worlds. :-)

Agreed. Yale-to-Cornell for a Cornellian is still a step up. Although in ten years, he'd be pushing fifty. A lot of people want the marquee job in their lives when they hit early forties.

And isn't Stephen Bâby also considered to be a leader type who might have the makings of a coach? And if Joe Niewendyk returns to Ithaca, there'll be speculation about how he'd fare as a coach.

Date: March 29, 2006 10:41AM

Joe doesn't have it in him to yell at the refs. He likes Ithaca but does that mean he wants to be Cornell's coach?

Did I mention that Casey Jones coached my PE hockey team at Cornell in '92? Most enjoyable class I took. I got skillz.:-D

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:50AM

ithacat
I'd love to see Casey Jones get a shot. I don't know whether there's any interest, but I'd like to see what he could do with his own program.
Don't you think that Casey Jones would rather be an Engineer. :-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:07AM

ursaminor
ithacat
This is why we need fans from other schools hanging around.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:23PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
Trotsky
RichH

Thats the philosoph that prevailed at Shea for many years.

Date: March 29, 2006 12:30PM

Interesting article but note the lack of a mention of Richter. Has anyone ever heard him mention a desire to coach?

When he was interviewed two years ago on a Rangers' broadcast he replied laughingly with a "no". Of course, his experience at Yale may have changed that feeling.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:58PM

Rich S
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
Trotsky
RichH

Thats the philosoph that prevailed at Shea for many years.

One of my most persistent early baseball memories was my dad lamenting the Rusty Staub-Mickey Lolich trade.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 03:10PM

billhoward
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

Agreed. Yale-to-Cornell for a Cornellian is still a step up. Although in ten years, he'd be pushing fifty. A lot of people want the marquee job in their lives when they hit early forties.

Thanks Bill. My initial reaction to reading your message was, "That can't be true, he graduated the same year I did." Then I realized it was true. I think I feel my bursitis acting up.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:01PM

jtwcornell91
One of my most persistent early baseball memories was my dad lamenting the Rusty Staub-Mickey Lolich trade.

Bad, but probably not even in the top 10 worst Met trades of all time. (Samuel, Fregosi, Baerga, Foy, Midnight Massacre, etc...)

Required thread-relevant content: Ron Darling went to Yale.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:22PM

schoaff
billhoward
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

Thanks Bill. My initial reaction to reading your message was, "That can't be true, he graduated the same year I did." Then I realized it was true. I think I feel my bursitis acting up.

It gets worse. The moment you turn 50, you're in your sixth decade. When Cornell's president shows up for *your* reunion dinner, not just for cocktails, it's because he thinks y'all are good prospects ... and your best years are behind you.

Date: March 29, 2006 08:30PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91

Bad, but probably not even in the top 10 worst Met trades of all time. (Samuel, Fregosi, Baerga, Foy, Midnight Massacre, etc...)

Required thread-relevant content: Ron Darling went to Yale.

I think Fregosi for Ryan tops the list. I recall being at Shea in '73 and saw Fregosi hit a 3 run dinger to beat the Pirates.

Fans reaction ?? They lustily BOOED Fregosi. Philadelphia fans had nothing on the Mets fans on that day. :-D

Not required content but I'll ask...who did Darling duel in one of the top College World Series games ever?

A hint that shouldn't be needed...he later pitched for the Mets.

Posted by: dford'94 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:45PM

Does anyone think that Shaun Hannah would have a chance for the Yale job? Coming off the best season in Sacred Heart history he has now been there 10 years and has taken a team with little or no tradition and made them competitive. Beat RPI and Brown this year and played Dartmouth down to the wire losing 4-2. I have always liked Shaun and maybe that is because he always played so hard on some really bad Cornell teams while I was in school.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:20PM

Rich S
Not required content but I'll ask...who did Darling duel in one of the top College World Series games ever?
Frank Viola

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:22PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I'm guessing you're too young to remember giving Jack Sanford to the Giants for Ruben Gomez and Valmy Thomas. screwy

Date: March 29, 2006 09:41PM

Yep...or as he was known in Queens..."Frankie V". No ide if he had that name at St. Johns.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:35PM

ursaminor
ithacat

Ok...I really didn't see that one coming. B-]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:09AM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
I'm guessing you're too young to remember giving Jack Sanford to the Giants for Ruben Gomez and Valmy Thomas. screwy

Yeah, got to admit I've never heard of any of them.

My first really bad Phillies trade was the 5 for 1 (Von Hayes) deal. But that's only because I was more into other sports than baseball, and I didn't really become a fan of Philadelphia teams until I got to Cornell.

Date: March 30, 2006 02:23PM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Frank Viola

Yep. McCarver used to talk about it ad nauseum, when he wasn't bitching about playing the outfield too deep or pitchers wearing jackets on the basepaths.

Didn't Viola throw a no-hitter and Darling have a shut out broken up in extra innings, or something like that?

Edit: I didn't think it was a CWS game, though. I figured it was an ECAC game. Or maybe it was the CWS tourney, but a regional.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 02:24PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 30, 2006 02:27PM

dford'94
Does anyone think that Shaun Hannah would have a chance for the Yale job? Coming off the best season in Sacred Heart history he has now been there 10 years and has taken a team with little or no tradition and made them competitive. Beat RPI and Brown this year and played Dartmouth down to the wire losing 4-2. I have always liked Shaun and maybe that is because he always played so hard on some really bad Cornell teams while I was in school.

I would think he should be considered. He's really full of heart. But maybe the Schafer, Gaudet and now Donato successes are an indicator of how much it helps to have the coach be able to tell the recruit's parents, "I went to this school, and I can tell you, your son is going to get good hockey experience, but he's going to get a GREAT education."

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:28PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Frank Viola

Yep. McCarver used to talk about it ad nauseum

Where it = anything and everything.

Date: March 30, 2006 02:29PM

It was a regional game of the 1981 CWS. Scoreless going into the 12th and Darling hadn't allowed a hit to that point. Darling gave up a bloop single and lost the game when the runner (who had already stolen second and third) swiped home on a delayed double steal.

Reference: [espn.go.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:54PM

Jordan 04
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Frank Viola

Yep. McCarver used to talk about it ad nauseum

Where it = anything and everything.
And ad nauseum = instantaneously

Date: March 30, 2006 03:31PM

dford'94
Nice idea, but Shaun's career record is under .500 (143-151-27) and he's had a while to turn the program around. I don't see it, but I hope I'm wrong. Check out Mercyhurst's coach Rich Gotkin (338-198-33, 18th season). He's been there forever!!

Posted by: dford'94 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:30PM

RatushnyFan
dford'94
Nice idea, but Shaun's career record is under .500 (143-151-27) and he's had a while to turn the program around. I don't see it, but I hope I'm wrong. Check out Mercyhurst's coach Rich Gotkin (338-198-33, 18th season). He's been there forever!!

Not to be a Hannah groupie or anything but this is a program that has only been D1 since 93-94 and prior to Shaun getting there they were 25-40-2 in four seasons with nothing close to a winning season. He has had six winning seasons there and knows the Ivy League and what recruiting there means. How about him at Yale and Casey Jones at RPI??? Both schools could do A LOT worse than them.

Date: March 30, 2006 08:35PM

2005-06	Sacred Heart 	 21 	 12 	 2
2004-05	Sacred Heart 	 13 	 21 	 1
2003-04	Sacred Heart 	 14 	 17 	 5
2002-03	Sacred Heart 	 14 	 15 	 6
2001-02	Sacred Heart 	 16 	 14 	 4
2000-01	Sacred Heart 	 14 	 12 	 5
1999-00	Sacred Heart 	 16 	 15 	 3
1998-99	Sacred Heart 	 7 	 23 	 1
1997-98	Sacred Heart 	 13 	 12 	 0
1996-97	Sacred Heart 	 15 	 10 	 0
Looks like SH has been relatively mediocre - mostly around ro below .500 - until this year. Hopefully Hannah can build on this year's success. But I think I'd be hesitant to give him a "promotion" just yet. Even if he is a Cornell guy.

Date: October 17, 2006 05:56PM

In an interesting twist, Tim Taylor has become a volunteer assistant coach at UNH.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2006 07:18PM

nevermind
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2006 07:18PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 17, 2006 07:58PM

KeithK
Looks like SH has been relatively mediocre - mostly around ro below .500 - until this year. Hopefully Hannah can build on this year's success. But I think I'd be hesitant to give him a "promotion" just yet. Even if he is a Cornell guy.

2000-01 shoulda been 13-13-5. :-/

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: October 17, 2006 11:56PM

That certainly is interesting.

Umile and Taylor...two very different personalities.

Date: October 18, 2006 12:15PM

French Rage
KeithK

2000-01 shoulda been 13-13-5. :-/
OK, then we should have hung a couple of NCAA Champion banner over the last few years. What's your point? :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login