Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3rd Jerseys

Posted by The Rancor 
Cornell 3rd Jerseys
Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2004 02:43PM

first off I'm a big fan of our traditional look, i want to keep it that way too, concidering the uniform disasters of the 80's.
but it might ba nice to see a special third jersey once or twice a year. there was a thread on the brand new sweaters worn by Notre Dame (an CU's ripped pants) at the Everblades this year. that could be a great time to bust out the thrid jerseys.
I guess I was thihking a jersey with the 'C' logo with the bear swiping acrosss it would be sweet. any thoughts people?

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Cornell 3rd Jerseys
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 02:48PM

No offense, but... That would be HORRIBLE! I really hate alternate jerseys and not just because I think most of them are incredibly ugly. (Examples: Clarkson's mustard jersey or Michigan's Maize tournament jerseys). Sorry I'm just a purist - stick with two. Just MNSHO.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2004 03:24PM

Also, the new bear logo is hideous. Let's not have to use it more than the bare (no pun intended) minimum.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 03:40PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

No offense, but... That would be HORRIBLE! I really hate alternate jerseys and not just because I think most of them are incredibly ugly. (Examples: Clarkson's mustard jersey or Michigan's Maize tournament jerseys). Sorry I'm just a purist - stick with two. Just MNSHO.[/q]
What Keith said. uhoh

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 03:43PM

Agreed. I like the simplicity of the athletic-font "CORNELL" on the front of our jersies, with no other adornments. It looks very traditional, and is very non-controversial.

Tag on Brown jersey
Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 04:21PM

Anyway, I have an unrelated question. The pictures from the home game against Brown showed players wearing a "JOE" tag on their left shoulder. What's the story behind it?

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2004 04:26PM

I like the look of our current jerseys. Simple and strong. Besides, when would the third jerseys be worn? On neutral ice?

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 04:35PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

first off I'm a big fan of our traditional look, i want to keep it that way too, concidering the uniform disasters of the 80's. but it might ba nice to see a special third jersey once or twice a year. there was a thread on the brand new sweaters worn by Notre Dame (an CU's ripped pants) at the Everblades this year. that could be a great time to bust out the thrid jerseys. I guess I was thihking a jersey with the 'C' logo with the bear swiping acrosss it would be sweet. any thoughts people?

[www.uscho.com][/q]

The disasters of the 1980s were not making the Final Four so often, wouldn't you think, more than the uniforms.

Cornell doesn't seem to be a uniform-crazy school. Plus, there's only so much you can do with red and white. And it has to be red and white because Carnelian, the official Cornell color, would infringe on Harvard's crimson shade. On the other hand, Maine does a nice job with its colors. Not much you can do with Orange or Black and Orange, but when you win every lacrosse championship save two the past decade, who cares about your colors?

If I ran the zoo, I'd just put CORNELL across the front and be done with it. I would not put BIG RED across the front the way the football team, I believe, does it on at least the away jerseys, becase BIG RED is in VERY LITTLE type. The Bear does not look real fierce the way a tiger or eagle does. Cornell has a nice sound when you say it, as opposed to say Swarthmore, which makes you want to say something like, "Fight fiercely, Swarthmore. Well done, lads."

Maybe the players should have some say in it. Every once in a while the Hume Ec school has a design class where a couple of the students, sometimes players' girlfriends, design sweaters and pants. I remember one that got kind of laughed at was a spandex kind of pant not short pant, with the padding nicely in place and never shift. I think it got laughed at but I think (I may have this history backwards here) it actually preceded the one piece Flyers pants.

I'd be happy with cleaner pants and four fewer losses next year.

Re: Tag on Brown jersey
Posted by: ben03 (198.16.0.---)
Date: April 06, 2004 04:36PM

As was mentioned on another thead (I believe) the Joe patch on their jerseys was for ... "Joe Castro, a longtime athletic trainer with the Brown University men's ice hockey, soccer and lacrosse teams, passed away following a long bout with cancer."

[brownbears.ocsn.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2004 04:44PM by ben03.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 05:19PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell has a nice sound when you say it, as opposed to say Swarthmore, which makes you want to say something like, "Fight fiercely, Swarthmore. Well done, lads."
[/q]

Hey, I think Swarthmore has a nice ring to it. That's why most Swatties refer to it as "Swat".

Ah Swarthmore... still no mascot -- though Strongbad came up as a recent suggestion (and "The Fighting Quakers" shows up every once in a while).

(The suggested Strongbad link was [www.homestarrunner.com] -- keep watching).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2004 05:25PM by crodger1.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2004 09:24PM

Third jerseys are a "whore it cuz you can" move. Since we don't have gang members or grade school kids (same difference) buying our stuff in bulk from Ebbetts Field Flannels, there's no point.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 12:02AM

Easy does it there … I agree with you about the need for a third jersey or lack thereof but you could do with out the stereotyping from up on your horse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2004 10:10AM by ben03.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 07:06AM

Third jerseys are a marketing scheme pure and simple. If we had one, it would be black with a red C and a bear of some sort. And I'm really glad we don't.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: the Rancor (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:07AM

wow... and i get a poll question as a result of this thread? first time for everything.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:42AM

Third jerseys can be cool, Wisconsin's and one of the Alaskian teams are really nice looking. (Pics would be helpful here, but I gave up searching) The nice ones are usually the exception and not the rule, though. I'd rather leave the third jersey alone than take the chance that it turns out like the Dallas Stars "Uterus" jersey yark

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:44AM

If I'm not mistaken didn't the HumEc school design the women's jerseys in the not so distant past? Or at least make some positive contribution? I can't remember the details.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 12:32PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Third jerseys can be cool, Wisconsin's and one of the Alaskian teams are really nice looking. (Pics would be helpful here, but I gave up searching) The nice ones are usually the exception and not the rule, though. I'd rather leave the third jersey alone than take the chance that it turns out like the Dallas Stars "Uterus" jersey [/q]

well obviously ours would be cool.... :-D

Posted by: Matt (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 05:14PM

hahaha Amen to that Pete. I never knew what mad cow disease looked like til I saw those.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 06:23PM

How about a contest for 3rd jersey design. Something to do in the off season.
Here are my quick 5 minute examples of the letter type. If I get bored this week I'll try and make a real effort.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 06:23PM

Speaking of black. RIP has had a few "third" jerseys. This year's were black (the theme was Black Friday) and were sold at silent auction during one of the games in December. The jerseys look horrible but the money raised was amazing. I think the highest shirt went for over $1000. I was in shock at the bids.

There were some parents bidding on their son's shirts and when you realize that many are getting over $100,000 in scholarship money the high bids aren't quite as bizarre.

It was a great way to raise money for their hockey program.

Date: April 07, 2004 07:38PM

I think I'd puke if we ever took the ice in black jerseys. Can't say I like any of your concepts but a) you said they were 5 minute examples and b) I've already expressed my opinion on alternate jerseys in general.

Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 09:43PM

in all honesty, i wouldn't mind third jerseys, as long as they look okay and the sale proceeds somehow end up benefitting the hockey program.
of course, this is a lot of ifs.

on the other hand, the third jersey does not have to involve a new design. seeing the team putting on a retro jersey (say, from the glorious late 60s) would be kind of cool too...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:10PM

[Q]min Wrote:
on the other hand, the third jersey does not have to involve a new design. seeing the team putting on a retro jersey (say, from the glorious late 60s) would be kind of cool too... [/q]
If you remove the subtle serifs from the lettering on the current uniforms, add a bit of white lacing just below the front of the collar-line, and put a white stripe down the side of the pants (or are they shorts?) you'll have the uniform of the late 60s. Don't recall the pants being torn, however. ;-)

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2004 11:29PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

If you remove the subtle serifs from the lettering on the current uniforms, add a bit of white lacing just below the front of the collar-line, and put a white stripe down the side of the pants (or are they shorts?) you'll have the uniform of the late 60s. Don't recall the pants being torn, however.[/q]

I always called them pants ... but that's just me :-)

I like the idea of a vintage/throw back kit. If that were to ever come about I would really only like to see it used for our most storied rivals. I don't even think they should be auctioned off, just kept for special occasions (see Notre Dame's green bowl jerseys).

Date: April 08, 2004 12:06PM

[Q]min Wrote:

in all honesty, i wouldn't mind third jerseys, as long as they look okay and the sale proceeds somehow end up benefitting the hockey program. [/q]
Unless they held an auction like someone reported RPI did I doubt third jerseys would specifically benefit the hockey program. I assume sale proceeds would go to Athletics or the University in whatever fashion they normally do with the hockey program only getting its usual share. I could be wrong though.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (66.153.73.---)
Date: April 09, 2004 08:58AM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

If I'm not mistaken didn't the HumEc school design the women's jerseys in the not so distant past? Or at least make some positive contribution? I can't remember the details.[/q]

Depends what you consider "positive". IIRC those jerseys were hideous.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2004 12:20PM

RIP has announced it's second annual Black Friday wingding. They will do the auction again. I hope the black jerseys look a bit better than they did this year.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 11:02PM

[Q]marty Wrote:

RIP has announced it's second annual Black Friday wingding. They will do the auction again. I hope the black jerseys look a bit better than they did this year.[/q]

IIRC, this year's jerseys were black versions of the ones the 1985 National Championship team wore. Ugly or not, that's probably pretty meaningful to fans.

Posted by: ninian '72 (165.224.215.---)
Date: April 12, 2004 08:52AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

No offense, but... That would be HORRIBLE! I really hate alternate jerseys and not just because I think most of them are incredibly ugly. (Examples: Clarkson's mustard jersey or Michigan's Maize tournament jerseys). Sorry I'm just a purist - stick with two. Just MNSHO.[/q]

Agreed! The Michigan tournament jerseys look as if they were designed for a softball team sponsored by a Diner!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login