Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[LAX] Saturday Apr 10 at Harvard

Posted by jtwcornell91 
[LAX] Saturday Apr 10 at Harvard
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (66.153.73.---)
Date: April 09, 2004 06:02PM

Gametime is 13:00. Those of us in Boston for the Frozen Four should head out to Allston and show our support.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: [LAX] Saturday Apr 10 at Harvard
Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2004 09:26AM

Uh, Roger that. Those just in Boston regardless as well. Vectoring west for 13:00 hours arrival time into Jordan Field. Hey, what about women's tennis at Noon? Anyway, I'll be the one towing the orange electronic highway sign down Soldiers Field Road. :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2004 01:23PM

1-1 at the end of the 1st quarter... Cornell scored early, Hahvahd scored very late.

Date: April 10, 2004 01:52PM

4-3 Red at the half... goals have been exchanged all game... Cornell has never trailed, but they've never lead by more than one either

Date: April 10, 2004 02:25PM

6-4 Crimson after 3 now... Harvard's goalie doing a great job, lots of shots both ways this game

Date: April 10, 2004 02:35PM

7-6 Crimson with 8:31 left

Date: April 10, 2004 02:43PM

8-7 Crimson, hasn't been tied... goal by Redd pulls within 1... timeout Crimson

Date: April 10, 2004 02:47PM

8-8 with 54 seconds left!

Date: April 10, 2004 02:51PM

going to OT

Date: April 10, 2004 02:58PM

9-8 Cornell in OT!!! Clayton from far out, 'a stunned Harvard defense'... woohoo!!!

[LAX] Quick headline post at cornellbigred.com
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2004 04:11PM

Nice to see Cornell's official site posted a one paragraph summary and then the box score within an hour of the game's ending (maybe sooner). Especially since it was an away game. Often the opposing team, even when playing in Ithaca, had the results on its site sooner than Cornell had on cornellbigred.com.

Of course, the eLynah quarter by quarter results are faster still. Hope y'all in Cambridge didn't freeze your butts off. Us Jersey boys are enjoying balmy (well, sixtyish) weather.

Re: [LAX] Quick headline post at cornellbigred.com
Date: April 10, 2004 05:15PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Hope y'all in Cambridge didn't freeze your butts off. Us Jersey boys are enjoying balmy (well, sixtyish) weather. [/q]
By the sound of the Cornell contingent, I don't think they were minding ;).

Actually, damn them... it took me about 30 seconds to figure out for sure who won. Our announcer was excited, I thought the names sounded like our goal, but the crowd was loud enough that I thought it could have been the home crowd cheering ;).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 10, 2004 05:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Hope y'all in Cambridge didn't freeze your butts off. Us Jersey boys are enjoying balmy (well, sixtyish) weather. [/q]
High 50s off Soldiers Field Road. Bright sunshine. Perfect day.

Not sure we deserved this one, but I'll take it. Set-piece offense is not very effective. Running the middies in-and-out every time the ball changes hands is ruining this game.

Date: April 10, 2004 06:45PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
Hope y'all in Cambridge didn't freeze your butts off. Us Jersey boys are enjoying balmy (well, sixtyish) weather. [/Q]
By the sound of the Cornell contingent, I don't think they were minding .

Actually, damn them... it took me about 30 seconds to figure out for sure who won. Our announcer was excited, I thought the names sounded like our goal, but the crowd was loud enough that I thought it could have been the home crowd cheering .[/q]

Announced attendance was 1221. I assume that was not all Harvard fans. One of the most demoralizing Cornell cheers on the road is "This is our house" when you can say it loud enough to down the opposition.

Date: April 10, 2004 07:32PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Announced attendance was 1221. I assume that was not all Harvard fans. One of the most demoralizing Cornell cheers on the road is "This is our house" when you can say it loud enough to down the opposition. [/q]
The stands were pretty much filled. The Cornell group--many family, I'd guess--were clustered together. A good number of high and prep school kids. Harvard crowd was very respectable, all in all.

Posted by: Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 (---.ngs.org)
Date: April 11, 2004 04:35PM

According to official reports, there were more than 1,200 people there. Sadly, that counts as a great crowd for an Ivy League lacrosse game these days, and a rare crowd indeed for Harvard (I don't think I've ever seen that many people in Allston for a lax game). Here's the pathetic truth: Only Princeton averages more than 1,000 for home games. Even worse, Ivy games are becoming more and more of yer basic parents-n-girlfriends affairs. Very little support from the student body at any of the member schools. Attendance for Cornell games at Schoellkopf is second best in the Ivies, but I'd wager that Cornell is behind only Pennsylvania in "greatest percent decline" over the last few decades. Such a shame. This game is part of the soul of the University and the region. I can understand that declining on-the-field success would lead to some dwindling passion, but near-total indifference at New York State's land grant institution is hard for me to accept.

[Yikes, that was cranky. Sorry.]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2004 04:37PM by Hillel J. Hoffmann '85.

Date: April 11, 2004 08:17PM

I do believe college sports in America are in attendance-decline except for parents and girlfriends/boyfriends, plus in the big time schools, all those alumni. Everywhere, not just Cornell.

I don't think it's 11,000 students filling North Dakota's new hockey rink.

It's hard to compare Cornell lacrosse now vs. the mid-1970s because not only has a generation gone by, but also Cornell was a national contender then.

The last couple years when the NCAA lax finals were in Baltimore, the TV announcers said (effectively) the sellout crowds are because lacrosse is so popular here [meaning not up north with those Yankees]. They had the luck to have at least one school each time from within an hour or two's drive of the stadium plus more southern schools in the semis. Heck, when Princeton's in the semis, Baltimore is not exactly a long ride.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 08:50PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
... Heck, when Princeton's in the semis, Baltimore is not exactly a long ride. [/q]

Not to mention those six national championships since 1992 ;-)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 11, 2004 08:59PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
High 50s off Soldiers Field Road. Bright sunshine. Perfect day.[/q]

I even got a sunburn. Yes, it was a spectacular day for lacrosse.

[Q]Not sure we deserved this one, but I'll take it. Set-piece offense is not very effective. Running the middies in-and-out every time the ball changes hands is ruining this game.[/q]

I don't think it was the set-piece offense so much as it was sloppy passing and ball-handling. If we'd retained possession as effectively as Harvard did, we would've won 12 or 13 to 6. And it wasn't just the forced turnovers, we really were sloppy.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 11, 2004 08:59PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
... Heck, when Princeton's in the semis, Baltimore is not exactly a long ride. [/Q]
Not to mention those six national championships since 1992[/q]

All those southern chauvinists [remember: by itself, it means patriot or bigot, not sexist male pig] keep forgetting there was the 10 year span throuigh 2003 when eight of the ten titles were won by northen teams.

Date: April 11, 2004 09:08PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:
High 50s off Soldiers Field Road. Bright sunshine. Perfect day.[/Q]
I even got a sunburn. Yes, it was a spectacular day for lacrosse.

Not sure we deserved this one, but I'll take it. Set-piece offense is not very effective. Running the middies in-and-out every time the ball changes hands is ruining this game.[/Q]
I don't think it was the set-piece offense so much as it was sloppy passing and ball-handling. If we'd retained possession as effectively as Harvard did, we would've won 12 or 13 to 6. And it wasn't just the forced turnovers, we really were sloppy.

Beeeej[/q]
No question about the sloppiness. But when your attack scores only one goal in a game, you're not getting the ball inside with any degree of effectiveness.

Posted by: Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 (206.165.125.---)
Date: April 11, 2004 11:24PM

billhoward wrote: "I do believe college sports in America are in attendance-decline except for parents and girlfriends/boyfriends, plus in the big time schools, all those alumni. Everywhere, not just Cornell."

Yes, absolutely true. But that doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that lacrosse attendance at Cornell seems to be declining faster in the last few years (a time when Cornell has been making the NCAA playoffs with regularity) than it has declined at other Ivy schools, including programs that haven't sniffed the postseason much recently.

Then, billhoward wrote: "It's hard to compare Cornell lacrosse now vs. the mid-1970s because not only has a generation gone by, but also Cornell was a national contender then."

Of course. I love boasting to folks about those huge crowds at Schoellkopf in the 1970s (immortalized by that cleverly cropped photo of a Hopkins-CU game that always used to appear on the back cover of the annual lax press guide). What's more difficult to stomach is the fact that Cornell lacrosse attendance seems much lower now than it was in the early-mid 1990s, a time when "national contender" seemed like an unattainable goal.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 05:50AM

Well, Harvard didn't exactly build it's lacrosse field to hold a crowd of 5,000. We were packed in pretty tightly and behind a fan who thought that talking about anything other than lacrosse at a lacrosse game was the worst offense on the face of the earth. Well, when 10-plus hockey fans are packed together, it's bound to come up at a lacrosse game. And no, he was not a Harvard fan.

Unrelated, after some discussion by some of us, #6 (lacrosse) on Harvard, Rob Fried, is the same guy who scored 4 goals and had 9 assists while missing just one game serving as an Assistant Captain for the hockey team this season. And I thought Teeter was the only one who bounced from hockey to lacrosse so quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login