Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Atlantic City Roll Call

Posted by Beeeej 
Atlantic City Roll Call
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:02AM

Still not 100% decided, as Daina has to work Friday evening... We're about 99.9% to head down on Saturday if Cornell beats Harvard, of course. We're probably about 20% to take Friday off and head down for the semis together - and if Daina doesn't take Friday off, I'm probably about 40% to head down Friday on my own.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Atlantic City Roll Call
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:04AM

Beeeej
Still not 100% decided, as Daina has to work Friday evening... We're about 99.9% to head down on Saturday if Cornell beats Harvard, of course. We're probably about 20% to take Friday off and head down for the semis together - and if Daina doesn't take Friday off, I'm probably about 40% to head down Friday on my own.

Hang on, let me get my calculator to work out all these probabilities. I don't remember much from my statistics class.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:05AM

The ECAC went to all that trouble to put the damn thing next door to me. I'll be there.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:16AM

Driving down on Friday +3.

I'm sure my daughters will enjoy the slots and strippers.

I'm hoping we don't have the same sort of weekend we had last year in Erie for the women's frozen four.

CK

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:48AM

Driving down Friday, with my fiancee, Kim.

Date: March 12, 2012 10:53AM

RichH
Beeeej

Hang on, let me get my calculator to work out all these probabilities. I don't remember much from my statistics class.

KenP
According to the following link Atlantic City games will be on CBS College Sports Network.
[www.ecachockey.com]

Alas, I think we're now probably about 12% to take Friday off and head down for the semis together, and if Daina doesn't take Friday off, I'm probably about 24% to head down Friday on my own. The ability to watch it on TV in a bar somewhere (despite March Madness in progress) does affect the odds.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:56AM

Beeeej
... about 99.9% to head down on Saturday if Cornell beats Harvard
This. And, after the game, to the poker table to double down on my misery or turn my joy into misery, depending.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:56AM

Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej

KenP
According to the following link Atlantic City games will be on CBS College Sports Network.
[www.ecachockey.com]

Alas, I think we're now probably about 12% to take Friday off and head down for the semis together, and if Daina doesn't take Friday off, I'm probably about 24% to head down Friday on my own. The ability to watch it on TV in a bar somewhere (despite March Madness in progress) does affect the odds.

Internet only in 2012.

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO
Hagwell confessed true disappointment that the final weekend of the league’s season would go un-broadcast, leaving ECAC Hockey as the only Division I league without a TV partnership for its title game.

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.bethavodah.org)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:58AM

Crodge2k and I will be there, showing a distinct lack of enthusiasm for being in Atlantic City, but our usual enthusiasm for Cornell hockey

Date: March 12, 2012 11:02AM

Chris '03
Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej

KenP
[www.ecachockey.com]

Internet only in 2012.

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO
Hagwell confessed true disappointment that the final weekend of the league’s season would go un-broadcast, leaving ECAC Hockey as the only Division I league without a TV partnership for its title game.

Oops!! Okay, back to the previous percentages.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:12AM

I decided reluctantly to go. The combination of factors in favor of going were:

(1) The weather has been remarkably good, which means it may be even nicer there this year than yesteryear's balmy weather.
(2) The ECAC has effectively blacked-out the poorly-attended games from TV, a gambit that resulted in at least 2 extra tickets being sold. (Curses!) I can handle B2, but I think my dad would have a hard time figuring out how to get it to work, and then we'd be spending at least $36 on streaming of dubious quality given that the stream won't be coming from a TV feed.
(3) I was able to use points instead of FRNs to get lodging right in AC rather than having to drive 10 miles each way to and from Boardwalk Hall.
(4) My dad really wants to go.

So, we'll be there, hopefully in time for the early game on Friday.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:44AM

Kyle Rose

(1) The weather has been remarkably good, which means it may be even nicer there this year than yesteryear's balmy weather.
(2) The ECAC has effectively blacked-out the poorly-attended games from TV, a gambit that resulted in at least 2 extra tickets being sold. (Curses!) I can handle B2, but I think my dad would have a hard time figuring out how to get it to work, and then we'd be spending at least $36 on streaming of dubious quality given that the stream won't be coming from a TV feed.
(3) I was able to use points instead of FRNs to get lodging right in AC rather than having to drive 10 miles each way to and from Boardwalk Hall.

Do we know for sure that it's $36? I'm still hopeful that $9 is a day pass, in the same way that $9 got us all 4 quarterfinal games each night.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:46AM

Beeeej
Chris '03
Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej

KenP
[www.ecachockey.com]

Internet only in 2012.

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO

Can you also integrate a KRACH calculation into your percentages, since they are dependent on outcomes?

Date: March 12, 2012 11:47AM

RichH
Beeeej
Chris '03
Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej

KenP
[www.ecachockey.com]

Internet only in 2012.

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO

Can you also integrate a KRACH calculation into your percentages, since they are dependent on outcomes?

I just don't want to flip comparisons with Daina.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:48AM

Robb
Kyle Rose

Do we know for sure that it's $36? I'm still hopeful that $9 is a day pass, in the same way that $9 got us all 4 quarterfinal games each night.
2 days * 2 people * $9 = $36.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:25PM

I'll be there both days with my son. If anyone's interested, I found a reasonably priced Clarion Inn in Absecon, just a few minutes from downtown AC. I got a rate of $94 per night at Kayak.com, somewhat lower than the standard rate listed on the hotel's website.

Perhaps best news of all, there are no reports for the place on the bed bug registry (my wife makes me check this stuff out :-P)

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:43PM

I'll be there on Saturday regardless of the results on Friday. I can't make the trip down from Ithaca on Friday in time to get to the game (damn you mandatory Friday morning class!).

Posted by: bnr24 (---.afsc.org)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:22PM

I'll be down there with my little sister and my bf. After he made the excellent pump up video, he more than earned his ticket. :) innocent I have to say, winning the free tickets from the ECAC website was probably the highlight of my quarter.

Also AC is crazy close to me, so it's perfect.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 05:44PM by bnr24.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:28PM

Friday by myself.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 06:01PM

I'll be there both nights.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 06:04PM

I'll be there, even though I hate Atlantic City.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 06:32PM

dbilmes
I'll be there, even though I hate Atlantic City.

I'll second that. Maybe with all the crap about TV, lack there of, they can get out of there. The word that I heard was that AC lost money on it last year and that they may want to quit. Here's hoping.

Posted by: billhoward (66.193.45.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 07:41PM

Ditto. And free parking. [Then for Saturday if top seeds advance, as a nearly-civilized foursome with a Union couple from our church.]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 09:51PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 07:42PM

I'll be there +5. Roomie from Cornell days, his wife, and my wife Trudy for both nights. Our sons CalgARI '07 and his brother as well for Fri night.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:23PM

bnr24
I'll be down there with my little sister and my bf. After he made the excellent pump up video, he more than earned his ticket. :) innocent I have to say, winning the free tickets from the ECAC website was probably the highlight of my quarter.

Also AC is crazy close to me, so it's perfect.

I see that Brittany already noted that I would be there. But, Brittany, one or two others, and I will be there for all the games in AC.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:25PM

My opinions on AC after showing up last year...

Attachments:
open | download - ecac AC.pdf (410 KB)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:31PM

snert1288
That's fine, but Cornell needs to win there first, for their fourth ECAC title venue.

Boston (7 titles / 31 seasons)
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 08:33PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:45PM

Trotsky
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)
Yet another reason for holding it in Albany.whistle

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:14PM

My wife (class of '96) and I will be there for Cornell's semi and whichever game they play Saturday, meeting one or two other alums. (And while I agree that moving the tournament to A.C. was a big mistake because of the travel consequences for the vast bulk of fans and would like to see it return to Albany, once there, I'd rather be in A.C. than in Albany on the weekend.)

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 12:17AM

Robb
Kyle Rose

The RPI-TV web site says $9.95 per game.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 07:49AM

snert1288

Can you print out a bunch of those? We can use them instead of newspapers for the intros.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 07:55AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)

If the Onion and RIP "fans" could travel five miles it would still be there. And there will likely be no more Albany regionals. Though that might be better for some reading this as it looks like Bridgeport wins because of the Albany apathy. Not really better for ECAC fans as a whole.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:08AM

marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)

If the Onion and RIP "fans" could travel five miles it would still be there. And there will likely be no more Albany regionals. Though that might be better for some reading this as it looks like Bridgeport wins because of the Albany apathy. Not really better for ECAC fans as a whole.
If either school had ever made to Albany.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:52AM

ursusminor
marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)

If either school had ever made to Albany.

Well I went to every game in Albany regardless of Union, RPI or Cornell and there was this:

March 20, 2010 #15
Union (22-12-6)

ECAC Championship #7
Cornell (21-8-4)

Albany

Union 0 0 0 - 0

Cornell 1 1 1 - 3

Period 1

15:09 Cor pp Joe Devin (Tyler Roeszler, Mike Devin)

Period 2

17:25 Cor pp Sean Whitney (Brendon Nash, Riley Nash)

Period 3

19:43 Cor Patrick Kennedy (unassisted) en

Saves

Cor W Ben Scrivens 60:00 32 x 32

Uni L Keith Kinkaid 57:58 31 x 33

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:41AM

Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej
Chris '03
Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej

KenP
[www.ecachockey.com]

Internet only in 2012.

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO

I just don't want to flip comparisons with Daina.

What you two do in the privacy of your own home is none of our business.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.flytac.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:11AM

Taughannock Aviation is offering a private Jet Charter to Cornell Hockey Fans Departing Friday and returning after Saturday's games. The Flight will be in a 9 seat Private Jet, Travel time is less than 45 minutes in each direction, there are still some seats available. Contact johnp@flytac.com for price and availability.

Posted by: heykb (216.87.106.---)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:42AM

I'll be there +2 fellow mid-70's alumni for Friday/Saturday games.

My youngest son would normally tag along but this weekend is his high school play. I am doing a real schedule rhumba to get to all of the places I need to be on Saturday. As it is, I'll be hard pressed to get to AC by game time on Friday evening.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:49AM

Unfortunately, medical school this year will inhibit me from attending on Friday. However, there is a good chance I will come down for Saturday's games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:51AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lake Placid (2 / 10)
Albany (3 / 8)
Atlantic City (0 / 1)
We also need to double around for a quick stop at Matthews. The first 4 were held there but we never made it. That (plus AC) would give us at least one title in every building it's ever been held at.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 01:58PM

Can't get there on Friday, but will probably make the trip down Saturday if Cornell is in the championship game.

Does anyone know where there's convenient free parking? I recall self-parking for free at Trump Plaza last year, but that appears to have been a limited-time promotion running last March rather than an ongoing state of operation. I suppose if I decide to drive I might suck up the $5 fee and park there again anyway, since it's extremely easy to get to from the expressway and very close to the Boardwalk Hall.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 05:29PM

I'd love to do it in Matthews, but I'm afraid like it would give HEA fans a(nother) reason to look down on us. They play at the Garden and we play in their backyard?

Wish I could make it to AC... will be in Nassau, trying desperately to stream the game and holding a mai tai.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:03AM

Driving down Friday... three adults and two kids.

Last year, we only came for the Championship game, so maybe someone can answer one or both of these questions...

Are they allowing exit/re-entry between games?

What is the child admission policy? I assume I don't have to buy a ticket for my 1-year-old (lousy Carrier Dome), but what about my three-year-old? Both can sit on laps.

And I know I can call the ticket office, but often enough, real-world policy differs from official policy.

Oh, and slightly off topic, but Harvard sucks.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 12:48PM

Greenberg '97
Driving down Friday... three adults and two kids.

Last year, we only came for the Championship game, so maybe someone can answer one or both of these questions...

Are they allowing exit/re-entry between games?

What is the child admission policy? I assume I don't have to buy a ticket for my 1-year-old (lousy Carrier Dome), but what about my three-year-old? Both can sit on laps.

And I know I can call the ticket office, but often enough, real-world policy differs from official policy.

Oh, and slightly off topic, but Harvard sucks.

Here's Boardwalk Hall's guest policies page. As it states, there is no re-entry. On the question of tickets for small children, it says, under 'Tickets:': "Please note that no person will be admitted into Boardwalk Hall without holding a valid ticket to the event.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 14, 2012 12:59PM

kingpin248
Greenberg '97

Here's Boardwalk Hall's guest policies page.

Thanks. Your post would have been useful had I graduated from Cornell without the basic ability to navigate websites. I was wondering if anyone had any real life experience from how things were done last year (for example, I know some venues that typically do not allow re-entry have allowed it for multiple-game events).

I can also personally attest that I paid for neither child last year and the ticket-taker didn't even blink.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 01:16PM

Greenberg '97
kingpin248
Greenberg '97

Here's Boardwalk Hall's guest policies page.

Thanks. Your post would have been useful had I graduated from Cornell without the basic ability to navigate websites. I was wondering if anyone had any real life experience from how things were done last year (for example, I know some venues that typically do not allow re-entry have allowed it for multiple-game events).

I can also personally attest that I paid for neither child last year and the ticket-taker didn't even blink.

I apologize for not giving you enough credit and not reading your original post closely enough.

Last year, I was inside the arena for all four games, so I didn't actually attempt to re-enter. But I don't recall there being any hand stamping or similar system to mark people who would have previously entered the arena but subsequently left, so I just presumed the rule would be enforced.

Date: March 15, 2012 01:52PM

Beeeej

I'm now about 90% to take Friday off and head down tomorrow on my own, with Daina to join me if we beat Harvard.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:43PM

I can't speak to the child-ticketing policy, but I'm pretty sure there was no re-entry last year. I remember trying to find somewhere to have a big lunch on Saturday so that we could subsist on rink snacks for the next 8 hours. Oddly enough, there was very little quality food available in AC within walking distance to the rink at lunchtime, as most casino restaurants were only open for dinner.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:58PM

Beeeej
Beeeej

I'm now about 90% to take Friday off and head down tomorrow on my own, with Daina to join me if we beat Harvard.

I hope it is a better game result than the last Harvard game you attended. ;)

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 03:01PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Date: March 15, 2012 03:14PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Beeeej

Well, at the very least we can be comforted in knowing that it can't possibly be the same result as the last Harvard game I attended.

smashfreak

- Steve Worona

Posted by: nshapiro (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:16PM

Best choice is White House Sub Shop - Take Mississippi (next to Boardwalk hall) about 3 blocks away from the ocean to Arctic, and you are there.

A truly great sub.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:51PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Beeeej

Well, at the very least we can be comforted in knowing that it can't possibly be the same result as the last Harvard game I attended.

smashfreak

I realize that. I brought friends from law school (one of whom is a Michigan alumnus) up for their first experience of Cornell hockey for the same game and a tie was less than satisfying.

Also, I specified game result as to differentiate from other consequential events that occurred that afternoon/evening for you.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (72.165.251.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 11:00PM

I think speak for all of us when I ask, "What the hell was that?"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 11:01PM

I'm out. Win the consy without me, fellas.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-255-212.myvzw.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 11:34PM

Yeah, I'm going to sleep on it, but I may leave too. Hard to watch us against 'gate and the final will likely be as quiet as a church mouse.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 12:09PM

Jim Hyla
The final will likely be as quiet as a church mouse.
Thought this said church moose for a second, which actually would have the potential to be incredibly exciting, if not dangerous. Your actual post, while making much more sense, is far less interesting.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 12:41PM

You eat the arena's bits-o'-BBQ-chicken sandwich, the sound would be more moose than mouse. On the plus side, zero lines at the concessions stands or restrooms. Also,friendliness: Every security guard and ticket taker on the way out said, "Thanks, good night, have a great time, hope you're here tomorrow." Down in Estero for the Florida Classic, I think people mean that. In New Jersey, I'm thinking they're told, "Be polite and maybe they'll come back." Or else the economy really sucks in AC.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:14PM

billhoward
You eat the arena's bits-o'-BBQ-chicken sandwich, the sound would be more moose than mouse. On the plus side, zero lines at the concessions stands or restrooms. Also,friendliness: Every security guard and ticket taker on the way out said, "Thanks, good night, have a great time, hope you're here tomorrow." Down in Estero for the Florida Classic, I think people mean that. In New Jersey, I'm thinking they're told, "Be polite and maybe they'll come back." Or else the economy really sucks in AC.

Actually I think many of them really mean it. I heard some of them commenting on how impressed they were that so many of the hockey crowd really supported their schools with sweaters, etc. When they looked through my bag and saw the papers and Snickers they asked about it and said couldn't take the Snickers in. Then a higher up said let it go, the're having fun.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:29PM

I think 1000 for the consolation game would be an overestimate.

Please, ECAC and AC: for the love of Lucifer, let it come back to Albany next year.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 05:16PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

Actually I think many of them really mean it. I heard some of them commenting on how impressed they were that so many of the hockey crowd really supported their schools with sweaters, etc. When they looked through my bag and saw the papers and Snickers they asked about it and said couldn't take the Snickers in. Then a higher up said let it go, the're having fun.

The Lynah Police take notice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login