Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

You Are The Committee

Posted by jtwcornell91 
You Are The Committee
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2012 07:19AM

Have at it:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: You Are The Committee
Posted by: trainbow (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 07:52AM

As far as I can tell, if Cornell wins one game in AC, they are in the top 14 of PWR.
WMich might jump ahead if they gain an upset in their tournament, but CU is still 14th.
CU might still be in if they lose two games and the underdogs don't prevail in the other conferences, but it gets close for the committee.
Their position in the PWR seems to depend on the comparison with UMinn, which right now is in CU's favor and doesn't flip until CU loses two games in AC.
Let's hope for good ice! It's going to be unseasonably warm this week.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:32AM

if teams already pretty set in PWR win the tourneys CU stays pretty solid.. harvard/bowling green/ mich tech/prov are the ones to worry about.

we should know after the first night reallyw what the chances are. CU can get all the way to at least 7 if they win out..

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 11:58AM

If all the lower seeds win and we lose both games this week, we will drop down to 16th and will be knocked out.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Union in the consolation game, we will be 11th and still make the tournament.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Colgate in the consolation game, we will be 13th and will be knocked out by auto-bids.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Harvard and lose to Colgate in the championship game, we will be 13th and will be knocked out by auto-bids.

Basically, anything can happen and the only sure way to make the NCAA at this point is to win the championship.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:01PM

ajh258

Basically, anything can happen and the only sure way to make the NCAA at this point is to win the championship.

I don't expect anyone here will object to that plan of action.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:07PM

upprdeck
CU can get all the way to at least 7 if they win out..

Using the CHN YOU ARE THE COMMITTEE PAGE, I got us to a three-way tie for 3 with these results:

Atlantic Hockey

Semifinal #2: Niagara defeats RIT
Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Mercyhurst
Championship game: Air Force defeats Niagara

CCHA

Semifinal #2: Western Michigan defeats Miami
Semifinal #1: Bowling Green defeats Michigan
Championship game: Bowling Green defeats Western Michigan
Consolation game: Michigan defeats Miami

ECAC

Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Harvard
Semifinal #1: Union defeats Colgate
Championship game: Cornell defeats Union
Consolation game: Harvard defeats Colgate

Hockey East

Semifinal #2: Maine defeats Boston University
Semifinal #1: Providence defeats Boston College
Championship game: Providence defeats Maine

WCHA

Play-in #2: Denver defeats Michigan Tech
Play-in #1: North Dakota defeats St. Cloud State
Semifinal #2: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Denver
Semifinal #1: Minnesota defeats North Dakota
Championship game: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Minnesota

To show how volatile it is, just flipping the ECAC F throws us all the way down to #13.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 03:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:17PM

I've been able to get us to 6 and I have seen CHN on twitter say they can get us up to 3. Honestly though, a low 2 or a high 3 is probably the best seeding we can hope for.

Date: March 12, 2012 12:42PM

css228
I've been able to get us to 6 and I have seen CHN on twitter say they can get us up to 3. Honestly though, a low 2 or a high 3 is probably the best seeding we can hope for.
The only big FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU to avoid is getting seeded out in the Minnesota Invitational.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:42PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Using the USCHO PWR predictor, I got us to a three-way tie for 3 with these results:

Atlantic Hockey

CCHA

ECAC

Hockey East

WCHA

To show how volatile it is, just flipping the ECAC F throws us all the way down to #13.
I assume Union is still in when we're a 3, right? Is there any way to get a three-team conference? (I can't imagine it is possible but you people have done some impressive work in the past.)

Date: March 12, 2012 12:49PM

ugarte
Trotsky
upprdeck

Using the USCHO PWR predictor, I got us to a three-way tie for 3 with these results:

Atlantic Hockey

CCHA

ECAC

Hockey East

WCHA

I assume Union is still in when we're a 3, right? Is there any way to get a three-team conference? (I can't imagine it is possible but you people have done some impressive work in the past.)

It's not that impossible actually. If all the high seeds win, and the ECAC plays out like this:

Friday, Cornell wins, Colgate wins.
Saturday, Union wins, Colgate wins.

Union would be 8th, Cornell 13th, Colgate will get an auto-bid.

There are a few other combinations where some of the higher seeds from other conferences lose and this scenario is still true.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 12:59PM

Trotsky
css228
The only big FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU to avoid is getting seeded out in the Minnesota Invitational.

Trotsky, I've already damned us. I have a commitment on Saturday 3/24 in the afternoon. That ensures if we do make the NC$$, we will be sent to Minnesota and playing Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:02PM

Rita
Trotsky, I've already damned us. I have a commitment on Saturday 3/24 in the afternoon. That ensures if we do make the NC$$, we will be sent to Minnesota and playing Saturday afternoon.

I pretty much have to miss traveling for the regionals no matter what as well - I'm flying to Florida on Saturday 3/24 on business.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 12, 2012 01:06PM

Beeeej
Rita

I pretty much have to miss traveling for the regionals no matter what as well - I'm flying to Florida on Saturday 3/24 on business.
Lemme get this straight. You scheduled a business trip in Florida, not only on the week of the Regionals, but two weeks before the Frozen Four in Florida?

Date: March 12, 2012 01:25PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Atlantic Hockey

CCHA

ECAC

Hockey East

WCHA

We are tied for 3rd in this scenario, but it's a three way tie between Cornell, Ferris State and Michigan. Interestingly, each of our teams beat out only one of the other two in direct comparisons, so that means the committee is going to use RPI, which we are the lowest of the three and will give us a 2nd seed.

Now, if we use your selections, and just change the WCHA results to Denver defeats Minnesota-Duluth and then Minnesota defeats Denver, Cornell will be in 4th place in PWR, giving us a 1st seed and home ice in Bridgeport.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:34PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Atlantic Hockey

CCHA

ECAC

Hockey East

WCHA

You're kidding correct? USCHO in this thread. Anyway, it looks like Age and I may have something funny to eat, we seem to have a good chance of getting in without winning.

Date: March 12, 2012 01:36PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Lemme get this straight. You scheduled a business trip in Florida, not only on the week of the Regionals, but two weeks before the Frozen Four in Florida?

No - my employer scheduled an event in the Miami area that it behooves me to attend, two weeks before the Frozen Four in the Tampa Bay area.

As it happens, I have some people whom I need to visit for business relatively soon in the Tampa Bay area as well, and depending on the outcome of the regionals, I might just make them an immediate priority. But the scheduling could be difficult unless they're all available to meet with me on Friday. It's also Passover, which would complicate my decision a great deal.

Anyway, no, it wasn't my idea to send me out of town for the regionals. But for what it's worth, I haven't made it to the regionals in person since 2003 in Providence anyway, because they've usually been just too damn far away for me to justify the trip when I'm already booked to travel for the Frozen Four. The one exception was Albany in 2010, when I couldn't justify taking a day off to make the trip after taking the previous two Fridays off for Cornell hockey.

I should be able to watch some of the regionals on TV no matter which site we draw, though it's a bit touch and go with the afternoon games.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 01:37PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:43PM

I for one am happy with any seed.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:48PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
Beeeej

No - my employer scheduled an event in the Miami area that it behooves me to attend, two weeks before the Frozen Four in the Tampa Bay area.

As it happens, I have some people whom I need to visit for business relatively soon in the Tampa Bay area as well, and depending on the outcome of the regionals, I might just make them an immediate priority. But the scheduling could be difficult unless they're all available to meet with me on Friday. It's also Passover, which would complicate my decision a great deal.

Anyway, no, it wasn't my idea to send me out of town for the regionals. But for what it's worth, I haven't made it to the regionals in person since 2003 in Providence anyway, because they've usually been just too damn far away for me to justify the trip when I'm already booked to travel for the Frozen Four. The one exception was Albany in 2010, when I couldn't justify taking a day off to make the trip after taking the previous two Fridays off for Cornell hockey.

I should be able to watch some of the regionals on TV no matter which site we draw, though it's a bit touch and go with the afternoon games.
Tournament hockey on TV? Please tell me more about this strange and wonderful new concept. bang

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:55PM

ajh258
If all the lower seeds win and we lose both games this week, we will drop down to 16th and will be knocked out.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Union in the consolation game, we will be 11th and still make the tournament.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Colgate in the consolation game, we will be 13th and will be knocked out by auto-bids.

If all the lower seeds win but we beat Harvard and lose to Colgate in the championship game, we will be 13th and will be knocked out by auto-bids.

Or to order pizza from the Potsdam Pizza Hut and deliver it to all the lower bid teams post afternoon practice.

Date: March 12, 2012 02:08PM

marty
Or to order pizza from the Potsdam Pizza Hut and deliver it to all the lower bid teams post afternoon practice.

According to a review on Yelp about Potsdam's Pizza Hut, this would be a great idea.

Out of 10 trips to this location I only got sick 3 times:)

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 02:22PM

marty

Exactly the segue I was looking for.

[www.foxnews.com]

Not far from the CCHA site at the Joe.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 03:09PM

Playing around for a bit, it seems we want bad things to happen to Duluth and Miami, two teams that we have problems beating (RPI-wise) if they win some games.

My personal revenge-fantasy favorite involves Ferris and Minnesota "getting screwed by" each other in Minneapolis, BC and BU getting saddled with streaking Bowling Green and obstinate North Dakota in Worcester, Michigan facing a resurgent (hosting) Michigan Tech in Green Bay, and Cornell being "gifted" Niagara and sliding Duluth and Lowell in Bridgeport. I love AQs sweeping out the WZHA and CZHA trash, at least one of BC or BU (preferably BC) being done before Tampa, the vaunted WZHA "champ" as a #2, and, of course, us somehow improbably pulling out a #1.

WCHA Play-in #2: Michigan Tech defeats Denver.
WCHA Play-in #1: North Dakota defeats St. Cloud State.
WCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan Tech defeats Minnesota-Duluth.
WCHA Semifinal #1: Minnesota defeats North Dakota.
WCHA Championship game: Michigan Tech defeats Minnesota.

Hockey East Semifinal #2: Maine defeats Boston University.
Hockey East Semifinal #1: Providence defeats Boston College.
Hockey East Championship game: Providence defeats Maine.

ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Harvard.
ECAC Semifinal #1: Union defeats Colgate.
ECAC Championship game: Cornell defeats Union.
ECAC Consolation game: Harvard defeats Colgate.

CCHA Semifinal #2: Western Michigan defeats Miami.
CCHA Semifinal #1: Bowling Green defeats Michigan.
CCHA Championship game: Bowling Green defeats Western Michigan.
CCHA Consolation game: Michigan defeats Miami.

Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: Niagara defeats RIT.
Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Mercyhurst.
Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Niagara defeats Air Force.

Date: March 12, 2012 03:26PM

ajh258
ugarte

It's not that impossible actually.
Oh shut up, you.

(I should have realized this.)

Posted by: nshapiro (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 03:51PM

The following gets us into a 2-way tie for 3rd:

•WCHA Play-in #2: Denver defeats Michigan Tech.
•WCHA Play-in #1: St. Cloud State defeats North Dakota.
•WCHA Semifinal #2: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Denver.
•WCHA Semifinal #1: St. Cloud State defeats Minnesota.
•WCHA Championship game: Minnesota-Duluth defeats St. Cloud State.
•Hockey East Semifinal #2: Maine defeats Boston University.
•Hockey East Semifinal #1: Providence defeats Boston College.
•Hockey East Championship game: Providence defeats Maine.
•ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Harvard.
•ECAC Semifinal #1: Union defeats Colgate.
•ECAC Championship game: Cornell defeats Union.
•ECAC Consolation game: Harvard defeats Colgate.
•CCHA Semifinal #2: Western Michigan defeats Miami.
•CCHA Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Bowling Green.
•CCHA Championship game: Michigan defeats Western Michigan.
•CCHA Consolation game: Bowling Green defeats Miami.
•Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: RIT defeats Niagara.
•Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Mercyhurst.
•Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT.

Posted by: mikek (---.orbital-lsg.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 04:13PM

Cornell loses to Harvard and Union and still gets in. (Unfortunately it requires Harvard to win the ECAC... couldn't make it work with Colgate winning) Hockey East doesn't really matter as long as Maine loses to BU. Pretty much everything else has to occur exactly like this except for Air Force/Mercyhurst can go either way. Basically everything has to go right to lower N. Michigan's RPI and raise Cornell's. Its easier for us to get in with 2 losses if Union wins the ECAC because we only have to get to 15th (assuming no other upset winners)

Atlantic Hockey
Semifinal #1: Mercyhurst defeats Air Force
Championship game: Niagara defeats Mercyhurst
CCHA
Semifinal #2: Miami defeats Western Michigan
Championship game: Miami defeats Bowling Green
Consolation game: Michigan defeats Western Michigan
ECAC
Semifinal #2: Harvard defeats Cornell
Semifinal #1: Colgate defeats Union
Championship game: Harvard defeats Colgate
Consolation game: Union defeats Cornell
Hockey East
Semifinal #2: Boston University defeats Maine
Semifinal #1: Boston College defeats Providence
Championship game: Boston University defeats Boston College
WCHA
Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Minnesota
Championship game: North Dakota defeats Minnesota-Duluth
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 04:13PM by mikek.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 04:27PM

Beeeej
But for what it's worth, I haven't made it to the regionals in person since 2003 in Providence anyway, because they've usually been just too damn far away for me to justify the trip when I'm already booked to travel for the Frozen Four.

That's supposed to make us feel better? Hmmmm 2003? Something else happened that year in Cornell hockey.

(Yes, I am implying a superstitious connection between your attendance and Cornell's success).

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 12, 2012 04:46PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
But for what it's worth, I haven't made it to the regionals in person since 2003 in Providence anyway, because they've usually been just too damn far away for me to justify the trip when I'm already booked to travel for the Frozen Four.

That's supposed to make us feel better? Hmmmm 2003? Something else happened that year in Cornell hockey.

(Yes, I am implying a superstitious connection between your attendance and Cornell's success).

Too small a sample size. I was there for our regionals in 1996 (lost to Lake Superior State), 1997 (beat Miami-OH, lost to North Dakota), and 2002 (beat Quinnipiac, lost to New Hampshire) as well - so overall, including 2003, Cornell has a 4-3 record in NCAA regional games when I attend. In the NCAA regional games I haven't attended since then (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010), Cornell is 3-4. That's not exactly a strong correlation.

In other words, don't go rubbing my hair just yet.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 04:50PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

Too small a sample size. I was there for our regionals in 1996 (lost to Lake Superior State), 1997 (beat Miami-OH, lost to North Dakota), and 2002 (beat Quinnipiac, lost to New Hampshire) as well - so overall, including 2003, Cornell has a 4-3 record in NCAA regional games when I attend. In the NCAA regional games I haven't attended since then (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010), Cornell is 3-4. That's not exactly a strong correlation.

So that's a winning record when you attend and a losing record since you stopped attending? Good enough for me. I think you need to go this year.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 12, 2012 05:24PM

jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

So that's a winning record when you attend and a losing record since you stopped attending? Good enough for me. I think you need to go this year.

I agree. The worst case scenario is we get a win when you go and amass a losing record when you're absent. All you have proven really is that your attendance doesn't guarantee a trip to Tampa. You have to go.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 12, 2012 05:26PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

I agree. The worst case scenario is we get a win when you go and amass a losing record when you're absent. All you have proven really is that your attendance doesn't guarantee a trip to Tampa. You have to go.

Well, I'm sold. Now all you have to do is pay for my travel expenses to the regionals if we make it - and then convince Barnard College and its wealthy alumna to reschedule the event at her Fisher Island home to which a couple hundred other alumnae have already been invited.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 12, 2012 05:32PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

Well, I'm sold. Now all you have to do is pay for my travel expenses to the regionals if we make it - and then convince Barnard College and its wealthy alumna to reschedule the event at her Fisher Island home to which a couple hundred other alumnae have already been invited.

I'm a law student, you're already a lawyer. Shouldn't you be paying for me if anyone is paying for anyone else? Plus, you're doing it for Cornell.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 12, 2012 05:38PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

I'm a law student, you're already a lawyer. Shouldn't you be paying for me if anyone is paying for anyone else? Plus, you're doing it for Cornell.

It's quite obvious you're still a student, if you're trying to convince me that I'm the valuable commodity in this scenario yet I should be paying for you to attend.

Kyle, what does Adam Smith have to say about this?

- Steve Worona

Date: March 12, 2012 05:49PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

It's quite obvious you're still a student, if you're trying to convince me that I'm the valuable commodity in this scenario yet I should be paying for you to attend.

As I implied, we should all pay our own way, but were one to expect any assistant from a fellow Faithful it would be the impoverished law student, not the practicing lawyer, who could expect reasonably for financial assistance in attending. I am not the sole beneficiary of your attendance, so why should I bear the costs alone of benefits in which you would share? I assumed merely that your dedication to Cornell and its hockey program were so great that you wouldn't need financial incentives to motivate you to go, especially in light of the successes that Cornell has while you attend.

;-)

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 12, 2012 05:51PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

As I implied, we should all pay our own way, but were one to expect any assistant from a fellow Faithful it would be the impoverished law student, not the practicing lawyer, who could expect reasonably for financial assistance in attending. I am not the sole beneficiary of your attendance, so why should I bear the costs alone of benefits in which you would share? I assumed merely that your dedication to Cornell and its hockey program were so great that you wouldn't need financial incentives to motivate you to go, especially in light of the successes that Cornell has while you attend.

;-)

Well, then we're in 100% agreement.

Now all you have to do is find a practicing lawyer to offer you financial assistance. I haven't been one since the day of last year's ECAC semifinals.

banana

I still can't unilaterally reschedule a Barnard College event in Florida, though. Sorry 'bout that.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 12, 2012 05:57PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
Beeeej

;-)

Well, then we're in 100% agreement.

Now all you have to do is find a practicing lawyer to offer you financial assistance. I haven't been one since the day of last year's ECAC semifinals.

banana

I still can't unilaterally reschedule a Barnard College event in Florida, though. Sorry 'bout that.

Everything worked better last year. The ECACs were even on television then.

I know, I just found it funny that the one date you pointed to as the last time you attended happened to coincide with the last time Cornell made the Frozen Four. I will be in AC, but I am only going to travel to NCAA Regionals for Cornell if they play on the East Coast. If they get placed out West, it is The Ocho for me.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 05:58PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Date: March 12, 2012 06:00PM

Aaron M. Griffin
I know, I just found it funny that the one date you pointed to as the last time you attended happened to coincide with the last time Cornell made the Frozen Four. I will be in AC, but I am only going to travel to NCAA Regionals for Cornell if they play on the East Coast. If they get placed out West, it is The Ocho for me.

One problem with the theory, unfortunately, is that I also attended the Frozen Four in 2003 - so overall, Cornell's record in the NCAA tournament when I attend is 4-4.

I'll actually be more annoyed if Cornell plays in the East or Northeast Regional, for selfish reasons - that I would've been able to go easily if not for this business trip. But I'd still rather see them stay east for everyone else's sake.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 06:49PM

Instead of looking at extreme scenarios, I did some tinkering and found what is most likely to happen:

If we beat Harvard, we will have the NCAA bid pretty much locked up unless more than 4 or more auto-bids come from outside the top-16. Depending on how the other conference match ups end up, we will get a 3rd or 4th seed (pretty much a toss up) regardless of who we lose to in the championship game.

If we lose to Harvard, but beat Colgate at the consolation, we will get a scenario similar to the one above, except it would be 3 or more auto-bids and more likely a 4th seed.

If we lose to Harvard but beat Union in the consolation, we will have an NCAA bid even if all of the other conference winners are upsets.

If we beat Union at the championship game, we will most likely have a 2nd seed.

In summary, OOC results will only prevent Cornell from getting an NCAA bid in the unlikely even that we lose both match ups at Atlantic City and about half of the OOC results are upsets. Thus, the Cornell hockey team itself is more control of its destiny than other teams, unlike Michigan State, Northern Michigan and Merrimack, who are more "on the bubble" in the traditional sense. Sweeping Dartmouth this weekend really solidified our position as an NCAA-bid contender.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:17PM

this isnt bball where seeding is really huge.. just get in and you have a shot. even an overall one seed and getting the 16 seed in hockey still means there is a solid chance you lose.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:33PM

upprdeck
this isnt bball where seeding is really huge.. just get in and you have a shot. even an overall one seed and getting the 16 seed in hockey still means there is a solid chance you lose.

But I'd like to take that chance.cheer

Date: March 12, 2012 10:41PM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck

But I'd like to take that chance.cheer
Agreed. I don't see how the chances of beating BC or Michigan in first round regionals is close to beating Lowell or Maine. However, I concede that being 2nd or 3rd seed probably doesn't make a huge difference - it's the disparity of 1st and 4th seeds that I want us to avoid.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 12:01AM

Trotsky
Using the USCHO PWR predictor ...

Why doth thou smite thee and the 3 Cornell alums active on this board with direct ties to CHN?

bang

:)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 12:10AM by adamw.

Date: March 13, 2012 07:28AM

adamw
Trotsky

Why doth thou smite thee and the 3 Cornell alums active on this board with direct ties to CHN?

bang

Maybe he'll listen to your directness Adam. He disregarded my attempt.:-D

Date: March 13, 2012 10:52AM

adamw
Trotsky

bang

I have already apologized offline to John. :)

Date: March 13, 2012 01:17PM

Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

bang

Meaning you won't apologize to Adam?twak

Date: March 13, 2012 03:12PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

bang

I'm married. I'll apologize upon request.

Date: March 13, 2012 03:52PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

bang

If she has to request it, you're already too late!

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 04:16PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

bang

Whether you understand the conflict or not (I hope).

I have nothing but good things to say about marriage especially after Janice accompanied me to Onion on Friday and Saturday.

Posted by: adamw (---.bms.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 04:45PM

no apologies needed -- marriages are too confusing to me as it is.

Date: March 13, 2012 06:09PM

marty
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

bang

Whether you understand the conflict or not (I hope).

I have nothing but good things to say about marriage especially after Janice accompanied me to Onion on Friday and Saturday.
This joke thread brought to you by the number 1950 and the letter Y.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 07:27PM

adamw

You two are married? God, the next thing I'll hear is that Beeeej is engaged.;-)

Date: March 14, 2012 10:21AM

Jim Hyla
adamw

You two are married? God, the next thing I'll hear is that Beeeej is engaged.;-)

We're planning to have the wedding guests throw Snickers at us as we depart for our honeymoon.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 14, 2012 10:44AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
adamw

We're planning to have the wedding guests throw Snickers at us as we depart for our honeymoon.
Better than fish.

Date: March 14, 2012 10:54AM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
adamw

Better than fish.

To the best of my knowledge, there will only be two Harvard alumni there.

And probably about 120 Cornellians.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 14, 2012 11:00AM

Beeeej
Trotsky
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
adamw

Better than fish.

To the best of my knowledge, there will only be two Harvard alumni there.

And probably about 120 Cornellians.
So, the ratio of a Lynah East game.

Date: March 14, 2012 12:34PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
adamw

Better than fish.
We stuck a fish in the glove compartment of my sister's car (in a plastic bag). We just didn't have the heart, though, so we told her the next day before she left her car parked at the airport during her 3-week honeymoon...

Date: March 14, 2012 07:57PM

[www.dailygazette.com]

Ken Schott reports, Barry Melrose will be the analysis guy for the Frozen Four... Someone please send him some Potdam Pizza Hut the night before

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:55PM

ajh258
[www.dailygazette.com]

Ken Schott reports, Barry Melrose will be the analysis guy for the Frozen Four... Someone please send him some Potdam Pizza Hut the night before

Wow, now even the NCAA regionals are being shoved to the internet live. I hope the RPI-TV folks have a good business plan in order. Lot's of business opportunities. It'll be a pixelated Barry Melrose at next year's Frozen Four.

Gotta make sure we have coverage of that 3rd basketball tournament on TV, or something...

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 10:51PM

RichH
ajh258
[www.dailygazette.com]

Wow, now even the NCAA regionals are being shoved to the internet live. I hope the RPI-TV folks have a good business plan in order. Lot's of business opportunities. It'll be a pixelated Barry Melrose at next year's Frozen Four.

Gotta make sure we have coverage of that 3rd basketball tournament on TV, or something...
I expect that various Regional Sports Networks will pick up those games that are listed as ESPN3 - obviously depending upon who is playing (e.g. Altitude if Denver).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 07:43AM

RichH
It'll be a pixelated Barry Melrose at next year's Frozen Four.

Since they just came up with the mathematical formula for the layout of the individual hairs in a ponytail, I guess this says a mullet is the next target.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:32AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
It'll be a pixelated Barry Melrose at next year's Frozen Four.

Since they just came up with the mathematical formula for the layout of the individual hairs in a ponytail, I guess this says a mullet is the next target.

Did they have to use Pi to figure that out?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:46AM

The WCHA tourney "finals" gets underway this afternoon with Michigan Tech v. Denver at 3 pm EDT followed by St. Cloud State v. N. Dakota at 8 pm.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:49PM

Rita
The WCHA tourney "finals" gets underway this afternoon with Michigan Tech v. Denver at 3 pm EDT followed by St. Cloud State v. N. Dakota at 8 pm.
The first game could have significant ramifications to Cornell's PWR. If Michigan Tech beats Denver & Cornell goes 1-1 this weekend, Denver & Cornell will have very close RPIs. The team with the higher RPI will win the Denver-Cornell comparison. The RPIs are so close, the record of uncommon opponents this weekend would determine who gets the higher RPI & wins the comparison. This could be diff between 12 & 13 in PWR (and a 3 & 4 seed). So, Mercyhurst upsetting Air Force, for example, would help Cornell because Cornell played Mercyhurst and Denver played Air Force.

Preferably, Cornell wins the Whitelaw and these concerns over at-large-bid possibilities will become moot. But, just in case ...

Date: March 15, 2012 02:45PM

cbuckser
Rita
The first game could have significant ramifications to Cornell's PWR. If Michigan Tech beats Denver & Cornell goes 1-1 this weekend, Denver & Cornell will have very close RPIs. The team with the higher RPI will win the Denver-Cornell comparison. The RPIs are so close, the record of uncommon opponents this weekend would determine who gets the higher RPI & wins the comparison. This could be diff between 12 & 13 in PWR (and a 3 & 4 seed). So, Mercyhurst upsetting Air Force, for example, would help Cornell because Cornell played Mercyhurst and Denver played Air Force.

Preferably, Cornell wins the Whitelaw and these concerns over at-large-bid possibilities will become moot. But, just in case ...

MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

banana banana
(not that I'm rooting for MTU, I'm just happy for the free audio. We are too close to the bubble for me to be rooting for underdogs in the other conferences)

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:27PM

Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

And this link will get you the Denver University broadcast:

Date: March 15, 2012 03:33PM

cbuckser
Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

It is 1-1 with ~ 5 minutes left in the first at the end of the 1st period.

End of two periods, still tied at 1.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 04:42PM by Rita.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:09PM

Rita
cbuckser
Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

2-1 St. Cloud Michigan Tech with about 9 5 minutes left
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 05:18PM by nyc94.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:11PM

nyc94
Rita
cbuckser
Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

2-1 St. Cloud with about 9 minutes left
St. Cloud?

Date: March 15, 2012 05:11PM

nyc94
Rita
cbuckser
Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

2-1 St. Cloud Michigan Tech with about 9 minutes left

FYP to reflect that Denver is playing the _those other_ huskies.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:14PM

Robb
nyc94
Rita
cbuckser
Rita
[
MTU has free audio:
MTU audio link

2-1 St. Cloud with about 9 minutes left
St. Cloud?

I know. I scanned the score on the USCHO live blog, saw Huskies, and then went to the USCHO home page where I saw the game clock is behind and oddly that the next game has already started (which it obviously hasn't). Brain misfired. Wouldn't have happened if Rita had been quicker with the updates. ;-)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 05:20PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:19PM

Denver just tied it up - ~4:30 left in the 3rd.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:27PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Denver just tied it up - ~4:30 left in the 3rd.

Bonus hockey from St. Paul. 3rd period ends tied at 2.

popcorn

Date: March 15, 2012 05:48PM

Denver wins.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:48PM

One potential tourney upset avoided. Denver beats Michigan Tech 3-2 early in OT.

Date: March 15, 2012 07:29PM

My predictions from earlier this week are coming true!

Denver over Michigan Tech, North Dakota over St. Cloud.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 12:13AM

So... uh... I guess it was OK to play around with the Pairwise all along. Good work, people!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login