Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Final Four (all games)

Posted by ugarte 
Final Four (all games)
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:01PM

Yawn.

Wisconsin 8, RIT 1 (Final)
BC 3, Miami 0 (Mid 2d)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 09:46PM by ugarte.

Re: Final Four semis
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:16PM

ugarte
Yawn.

BC 3, Miami 0 (Mid 2d)

Yeah, two brutal games. I thought BC-Miami would be entertaining, but no luck with that

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 11:15PM

BC now up 7-1 late.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: April 09, 2010 07:45AM

It was mentioned during the Wisconsin game that the Badgers have something like two number one and three number two draft picks (or vice-versa) among their defensive corps. Food for thought when discussing our ability to compete with the very top programs.

Posted by: judy (---.att-inc.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:17AM

scoop85
ugarte
Yawn.

BC 3, Miami 0 (Mid 2d)

Yeah, two brutal games. I thought BC-Miami would be entertaining, but no luck with that

It was very entertaining to see the mass exodus of fans by the time BC got to goal 5, 6, and 7.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:34AM

scoop85
It was mentioned during the Wisconsin game that the Badgers have something like two number one and three number two draft picks (or vice-versa) among their defensive corps. Food for thought when discussing our ability to compete with the very top programs.
I mentioned on Chat that anyone who wanted to criticize Coach Schafer's style, just had to watch re-runs of the RIT game. Aside from no time, I was going to look up how many draft choices, and their ranking, each league has. Does anyone know if that's easily available somewhere?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 08:38PM

Jim Hyla
scoop85
I mentioned on Chat that anyone who wanted to criticize Coach Schafer's style, just had to watch re-runs of the RIT game. Aside from no time, I was going to look up how many draft choices, and their ranking, each league has. Does anyone know if that's easily available somewhere?
I have not seen a list, but it wouldn't be hard to click on each roster here [www.collegehockeystats.net] and then just count how many players on each team have NHL abbreviations by their name.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 08:39PM

So we lost 6-2, to a team that lost 6-2, to a team that lost 8-1. If BC beats Wisconsin does that make us the worst team ever?:-}

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 08:40PM by French Rage.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 09:40PM

French Rage
So we lost 6-2, to a team that lost 6-2, to a team that lost 8-1. If BC beats Wisconsin does that make us the worst team ever?:-}

I don't know about worst team ever, but it does mean Cornell would lose to BC by at least 16 goals. This is clearly because defensive systems are inferior, and run-and-gun teams like BC are built for national success.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:49PM

Tom Lento
French Rage

I don't know about worst team ever, but it does mean Cornell would lose to BC by at least 16 goals. This is clearly because defensive systems are inferior, and run-and-gun teams like BC are built for national success.

We'd probably be able to clutch and grab enough to make it more on the order of a 10 or 12 goal deficit.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 12:01AM

The transitive property can be a real bitch.

Date: April 10, 2010 09:42PM

French Rage
So we lost 6-2, to a team that lost 6-2, to a team that lost 8-1. If BC beats humiliates Wisconsin does that make us the worst team ever?:-}
Well, it doesn't reflect well...

Re: Final Four (all games)
Date: April 10, 2010 09:50PM

Great camera work at the end. It is apparently more important to show the despondent Wisconsin players gathering in the puck as the clock ticks off the final few seconds than to change cameras in time to see BC explode off of the bench in celebration.

Congrats to BC. What an amazing decade they've had.

Re: Final Four (all games) - title game telecast
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 10:13PM

Kudos to Gary Thorne for dinging the ice conditions and (Thorne not Barry Melrose?) saying a title game belongs in a real rink with real ice that won't go bad on you (but it's okay to do this rink on a football / baaseball field as a regular season gimmick). This was before the Wisconsin breakaway early in the third with the score still 1-0 and the puck hopped over the Wisconsin stick.)

Wnen Barry Melrose he dies, you could give him an enema and bury him in a showbox. But while he's a alive, he is so much fun to listen to. He speaks his mind but he's mostl good natured. Plus he did pick Miami and Cornell for the title game.

Three in a row for Eastern teams. After six in a row for the West and something like 13 of the last 20 for the West.

Even after getting clobbered 8-1, RIT must be pretty happy to be there. And Miami must feel like crap. Last minute choke costs them the 2009 title, then blown out this year in the semis.

I guess Steve Donahue does appreciate a winning hockey tradition.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-225.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2010 08:24AM

One small thing that I noticed was the number of players at the Frozen Four who would (& did) take backhand shots on goal.

Our players are very hesitant to do that. I've seen so many situations, over the years, where our players will lose a scoring opportunity because they do whatever it takes to shoot with the forehand. Time lost; scoring opportunity lost.

At least two of BC's goals were scored on the backhand last night. Not hard shots. Just quick shots that caught the goalie unprepared. We need to do more of this!!

These guys need to practice the backhand shot. In practice, give em pucks & tell them that they can only shoot on the back hand. They'll get better at it, if they practice.

I don't want to believe that this year's Frozen Four players are just so much better than Cornell's (that they can score freely on the backhand and we rarely try).

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-192-214.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 09:39AM

redice
One small thing that I noticed was the number of players at the Frozen Four who would (& did) take backhand shots on goal.

Our players are very hesitant to do that. I've seen so many situations, over the years, where our players will lose a scoring opportunity because they do whatever it takes to shoot with the forehand. Time lost; scoring opportunity lost.

At least two of BC's goals were scored on the backhand last night. Not hard shots. Just quick shots that caught the goalie unprepared. We need to do more of this!!

These guys need to practice the backhand shot. In practice, give em pucks & tell them that they can only shoot on the back hand. They'll get better at it, if they practice.

I don't want to believe that this year's Frozen Four players are just so much better than Cornell's (that they can score freely on the backhand and we rarely try).
Not only were the BC players taking backhand shots on goal, they were taking shots on goal. Both differ from Cornell's style of play that calls for quality SOG. At BC, Blake Gallagher and Topher Scott would be big enough to be the enforcers. Mike Schafer's style of play works for the way he coaches and the players he recruits and maybe for the players he can't recruit, so he turns to teamwork and defense and if it hasn't gotten us a title yet, it's been better than the rest of the ECAC the last decade.

BC sure was fun to watch. Just as they were two years ago when Gerbe was their sparkplug / fire plug (5-foot-5?).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 01:08PM

billhoward
redice

Not only were the BC players taking backhand shots on goal, they were taking shots on goal. Both differ from Cornell's style of play that calls for quality SOG. At BC, Blake Gallagher and Topher Scott would be big enough to be the enforcers. Mike Schafer's style of play works for the way he coaches and the players he recruits and maybe for the players he can't recruit, so he turns to teamwork and defense and if it hasn't gotten us a title yet, it's been better than the rest of the ECAC the last decade.

BC sure was fun to watch. Just as they were two years ago when Gerbe was their sparkplug / fire plug (5-foot-5?).
?????

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-254.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 03:59PM

billhoward
redice

While your points are valid, I still think that encouraging the use of backhand shots (even if only occasionally) could help the offensive output without any change in style and certainly no decrease in our defensive posture. Think of the scoring opportunities that are not even considered because the player can't get the puck onto his forehand and still have a shot. Those are the missed opportunities that I'm lamenting. It's part of a skill set that I think they need to work on....What could it possibly hurt?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 05:08PM

redice
billhoward
redice

While your points are valid, I still think that encouraging the use of backhand shots (even if only occasionally) could help the offensive output without any change in style and certainly no decrease in our defensive posture. Think of the scoring opportunities that are not even considered because the player can't get the puck onto his forehand and still have a shot. Those are the missed opportunities that I'm lamenting. It's part of a skill set that I think they need to work on....What could it possibly hurt?
I think that the problem is not so much a backhand/forehand one, although heaven knows Melrose loved the backhand, but that sometimes a quick shot is better than a hard shot. A wrister may be better than a slap shot. You just catch the goalie out of position.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-236-226.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 09:28PM

Jim Hyla
redice
billhoward
redice

I think that the problem is not so much a backhand/forehand one, although heaven knows Melrose loved the backhand, but that sometimes a quick shot is better than a hard shot. A wrister may be better than a slap shot. You just catch the goalie out of position.

You right, Jim. It's not an issue of forehand/backhand. It's just the fact that, rather than take that quick backhand shot, they make some other move (pass it, bring it to the forehand, etc). If that quick shot is a backhand, take it!! That's not happening now....I think they lack confidence in it. Thus, my feeling that they should practice it.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 06:51PM

Greening gives a nice shout out to the Lynah Faithful who were cheering for him in Detroit:

[www.cornell.edu]

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 07:41PM

mnagowski
Greening gives a nice shout out to the Lynah Faithful who were cheering for him in Detroit:

[www.cornell.edu]

I am really surprised that he heard us. Sound got swallowed in Ford Field.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 09:30PM

judy
mnagowski

[www.cornell.edu]

Wow, that was cool that he heard and saw us. I hope the GM and hockey guys in Ottawa watch this link to see what a fantastic person they have drafted. I really hope Colin lands in a good organization that will use and appreciate his talents.

Have I mentioned how much I am going to miss Greening? cry

Posted by: RichH (12.189.157.---)
Date: April 13, 2010 10:23PM

judy
mnagowski

[www.cornell.edu]

You forgot who you were sitting with. scream

And it really wasn't that bad for sound, considering the size. Scersk and I did an echo test, and ruled that it wasn't as sound-sucking as we thought.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 11:06PM

mnagowski

[www.cornell.edu]
He has class. The only other fans he gives any credit to are, you know, the Clarkson fans. Also, note that he has been impressed with how well in sync the Cornell cheers are.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 11:19PM

RichH
judy
mnagowski

[www.cornell.edu]

And it really wasn't that bad for sound, considering the size. Scersk and I did an echo test, and ruled that it wasn't as sound-sucking as we thought.

I know you're loud, but it didn't seem like it carried all that far beyond our section.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: April 14, 2010 10:48AM

judy
RichH
judy
mnagowski

[www.cornell.edu]

I know you're loud, but it didn't seem like it carried all that far beyond our section.

I think we're all forgetting that Colin Greening has super-human hearing to go along with the rest of his super-human self.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 14, 2010 05:29PM

mnagowski
I think we're all forgetting that Colin Greening has super-human hearing to go along with the rest of his super-human self.

But he also said that the CU pep band was the best so I am not too sure of his hearing. :-D

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2010 09:12PM

redice
Jim Hyla
redice
billhoward
redice

You right, Jim. It's not an issue of forehand/backhand. It's just the fact that, rather than take that quick backhand shot, they make some other move (pass it, bring it to the forehand, etc). If that quick shot is a backhand, take it!! That's not happening now....I think they lack confidence in it. Thus, my feeling that they should practice it.

For an example of an excellent backhand, check out Pittsburgh's third goal against Ottawa tonight, scored by Craig Adams.

[video.nhl.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 01:11PM by amerks127.

Posted by: Anonymous User (117.195.230.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 11:56AM

ok thanks for posting video

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:14PM

Iceman778
ok thanks for posting video

Is this you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 01:15PM by amerks127.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login