Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2010 Post-season Thread

Posted by Trotsky 
2010 Post-season Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 05:19PM

1996: 21-9-4, RS sweep of Harvard, Playoff victory over Harvard, ECAC Champions, NCAA 1st round loss
2010: 21-9-4, RS sweep of Harvard, Playoff victory over Harvard, ECAC Champions, NCAA 1st round loss

Coach Schafer has not improved this program at all. ;-)

Re: 2010 Post-season Thread
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 05:57PM

No improvement? Hah! 33% increase in wins over Harvard.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 09:30PM

Nice gathering of the facts. Sort of like taking two snapshots of a AC sine wave just above zero and not noticing that ~ 160 volt peak in between.

So is it "wait till next year" or "let's see in a year or two?" If getting to Albany (or Lake Placid or Atlantic City) and to the ECAC final four is the baseline for a reasonable Cornell season, it's seldom that we fail at that two years running.

Unlike the Is Donahue Leaving? thread that lit off the minute the New Year's ball tounched down in Times Square, eLynah has been reasonably quiet about Riley Nash. Maybe it's just that we assume he's out of here so why waste keystrokes?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 09:50PM

billhoward
Unlike the Is Donahue Leaving? thread that lit off the minute the New Year's ball tounched down in Times Square, eLynah has been reasonably quiet about Riley Nash. Maybe it's just that we assume he's out of here so why waste keystrokes?

I don't have any information, but it would shock me if he stayed.

See:

[thepipelineshow.blogspot.com]

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 09:53PM

ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

2nd weakest conference of the major 6? Does that put AHA ahead of ECAC? wtf

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 10:25PM

Flyers1037
ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

Their champion's looking pretty good.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 10:54PM

ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]
So one guy says he should be on a plane today. Is he? The other is not certain. What does that prove?

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 10:58PM

NM
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 06:35PM by releck97.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 11:43PM

Flyers1037
ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

Obviously talking about CHA. I mean, half of their league made the NCAA Tournament. Not even the WCHA can say that. nut

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 01:53AM

RichH
Flyers1037
ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

Obviously talking about CHA. I mean, half of their league made the NCAA Tournament. Not even the WCHA can say that. nut
An intersting post by Bob McKenzie on the topic of the ECAC's standing relative to other leagues [board.uscho.com].

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 04:08AM

billhoward
is it "wait till next year" or "let's see in a year or two?"

A year or two or more. Bad things can happen. Ask Clarkson.

Cornell has had an 11-year run finishing in the top 4 RS in all but one, and that a 5th, the most consistent since Clarkson 1989-2002 (one 5th) or Harvard 1982-1995 (one 6th). Conversely, decade-long streaks prove you can sustain for non-overlapping cohorts if you can keep talent rolling in.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 04:10AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.179.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 07:19AM

ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

So the one thing that the lowetide commenters have finally gotten is that Riley holds most of the cards in this negotiation. There was a rumor on a board or blog that his agent was saying "NHL or he's headed back to school." All Riley has to do is come back for his senior year and that August (i think that's the right month), he's a free agent and can pull a Blake Wheeler and sign somewhere for the rookie max contract. If he ends up back at CU next year, I don't think it's just to finish his degree or to win another ECAC title. I think it's a calculated move to get the contract he (feels he) deserves.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 09:57AM

ursusminor
RichH
Flyers1037
ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

An intersting post by Bob McKenzie on the topic of the ECAC's standing relative to other leagues [board.uscho.com].

Great post. I literally ran into McKenzie at every game Cornell played against SLU(t) over the last four years in Lynah, as well as Albany this year and once in Appleton and the Hoot Owl afterward. For working full time in Toronto, it's pretty amazing how many games he caught.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:42AM

pfibiger
ebilmes
billhoward

See:

[lowetide.blogspot.com]

So the one thing that the lowetide commenters have finally gotten is that Riley holds most of the cards in this negotiation. There was a rumor on a board or blog that his agent was saying "NHL or he's headed back to school." All Riley has to do is come back for his senior year and that August (i think that's the right month), he's a free agent and can pull a Blake Wheeler and sign somewhere for the rookie max contract. If he ends up back at CU next year, I don't think it's just to finish his degree or to win another ECAC title. I think it's a calculated move to get the contract he (feels he) deserves.
Does he really have all the negotiating room? I'm a huge fan of his but I wonder if his numbers and overall achievement have impressed them that much. I'm just speculating though. Is the thought that surrounded by higher quality players he'll be more of a scorer? I think he's a very smart player and very good in terms of puck control but question whether he has the wheels to play in the NHL. I really hope that he does.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.179.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 06:57AM

RatushnyFan
pfibiger
Does he really have all the negotiating room? I'm a huge fan of his but I wonder if his numbers and overall achievement have impressed them that much. I'm just speculating though. Is the thought that surrounded by higher quality players he'll be more of a scorer? I think he's a very smart player and very good in terms of puck control but question whether he has the wheels to play in the NHL. I really hope that he does.

I think so. Higher end NCAA free agents are in big demand. His numbers are very similar to Chris Higgins and he's become a very responsible two way player. For the opportunity to snag a first round talent (even if Edmonton took him high) for free I bet half the teams in the league would be beating down his door, regardless of whether he pans out in the end.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 09:12AM

pfibiger
he's become a very responsible two way player

And he did it at Cornell, rather than on the Olympic team afterward. :-)

Posted by: heykb (---.c3-0.upd-ubr3.trpr-upd.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 08:14PM

I ran into an Ottawa Senators scout in the hotel after the UHN loss. They have the rights to Colin Greening.

The scout said a couple of interesting things. He noted that Schafer's style of play "is no fun the for the players" and he thinks if the style were a bit more offense oriented (for example using two forecheckers routinely), that Cornell would be very tough in the NCAA's every year. He also said Cornell has a great reputation in hockey and that "you can have any players you want" because we provide both an Ivy education and good hockey.

I'm not passing judgement on the comments, but I was intrigued to hear something from someone who sees a lot of hockey for a living.

Karl '77

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 08:46PM

Trotsky
pfibiger
he's become a very responsible two way player

And he did it at Cornell, rather than on the Olympic team afterward. :-)
Manderville dig? I'm with you T.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2010 10:23PM

heykb
I ran into an Ottawa Senators scout in the hotel after the UHN loss. They have the rights to Colin Greening.

The scout said a couple of interesting things. He noted that Schafer's style of play "is no fun the for the players" and he thinks if the style were a bit more offense oriented (for example using two forecheckers routinely), that Cornell would be very tough in the NCAA's every year.

Hear, hear. And sometimes it's no fun for the fans either. Did you record that and sent it to the coaching staff? :-}
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 10:24PM by ajh258.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.11.---)
Date: April 01, 2010 03:09AM

heykb
The scout said a couple of interesting things. He noted that Schafer's style of play "is no fun the for the players" and he thinks if the style were a bit more offense oriented (for example using two forecheckers routinely), that Cornell would be very tough in the NCAA's every year.

Karl '77

I'm perplexed. When Cornell isn't making a player change, it sends in two forecheckers the overwhelming majority of the time.

Also, Cornell had its defensemen pinch this season more often than it has in years past. The adjustment made a lot of sense, given the mobile defense corps on the team.

Posted by: Anonymous User (117.195.228.---)
Date: April 11, 2010 02:27PM

this is a beautiful part of the game...mobile defenceing

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 08:21AM

Final USA Today Poll. I'm too lazy to post it. We flip-flop with RIT. They move down from 9 to 10, we do the opposite.screwy Of course that makes sense, after all, we lost and they won.screwyscrewy Maybe there were some undisclosed intangibles?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 11:38AM

heykb

The scout said a couple of interesting things. He noted that Schafer's style of play "is no fun the for the players" and he thinks if the style were a bit more offense oriented (for example using two forecheckers routinely), that Cornell would be very tough in the NCAA's every year. He also said Cornell has a great reputation in hockey and that "you can have any players you want" because we provide both an Ivy education and good hockey.

I'm not passing judgement on the comments, but I was intrigued to hear something from someone who sees a lot of hockey for a living.

Karl '77
Nice way of passing along information and having us take it for what it is. Thanks.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 11:40AM

Jim Hyla
Final USA Today Poll. I'm too lazy to post it. We flip-flop with RIT. They move down from 9 to 10, we do the opposite.screwy Of course that makes sense, after all, we lost and they won.screwyscrewy Maybe there were some undisclosed intangibles?
I'd guess that the drubbing RIT received in the semi convinced some voters that the Tigers had just gotten lucky/hot in the regional so they lost some support. Yes, we got beat pretty solidly in the tournament too, but that was a couple weeks ago and besides Cornell is an "established top program" these days.

Boilerplate about meaningless polls removed. It is the offseason after all.

Posted by: marty (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 12:01PM

Jim Hyla

Maybe they lost points because Gary Thorne referred to them as RPI during the waning moments of the semi.
whistle

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: April 13, 2010 12:34PM

marty
Jim Hyla

Maybe they lost points because Gary Thorne referred to them as RPI during the waning moments of the semi.
whistle

Poor RIT. Three simple letters and very few people with the NC$$ and TV could get it right.

Some of the NC$$ FF clothing for sale had "Rochester Institute" on it. We pointed out to one of the guys that it should be Rochester Institute of Technology. His reply was that they were charged by the inch for the lettering. Our response: Well, you could have saved money and been correct by using RIT.

It was a nice jacket and probably due to low (no?) sales destined to end up in Africa somewhere along with the "Wisconsin 2010 NC$$ hockey champions" t-shirts.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 01:44PM

Jim Hyla
They just missed out (swap UNH and RIT) on ranking the teams in our regional in the opposite order in which they performed. :-P

Posted by: marty (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 03:01PM

Not only on the Cape of Hope is the "destroyed " merchandise sold. There was a hat store on Cape Cod that had 2000 Frozen Four B.C. championship hats a while back.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 13, 2010 03:07PM

Rita
whistle

Poor RIT. Three simple letters and very few people with the NC$$ and TV could get it right.

The guy from Ohio (and "Big Ten Country";) next to me at the baseball game Saturday called them "RTI" and had never heard of 'em. I also talked to the group of Gopher fans about how RIT had sent a bus from Rochester, and had to correct them when they asked "Rochester, Minnesota?"

Some of the NC$$ FF clothing for sale had "Rochester Institute" on it. We pointed out to one of the guys that it should be Rochester Institute of Technology. His reply was that they were charged by the inch for the lettering. Our response: Well, you could have saved money and been correct by using RIT.

Before leaving for the airport Sunday, I looked over the leftover merchandise and a hotel employee was asking the vendor how he did over the weekend. The response was a shake of the head and a "not good." I think he was holding back because I was around, but he mumbled something about the Frozen Four "just isn't as big" as what I assumed to mean "as the basketball tournament." Which...well DUH. And frankly, I'm happy about that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2010 03:07PM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 03:35PM

RichH
Before leaving for the airport Sunday, I looked over the leftover merchandise and a hotel employee was asking the vendor how he did over the weekend. The response was a shake of the head and a "not good." I think he was holding back because I was around, but he mumbled something about the Frozen Four "just isn't as big" as what I assumed to mean "as the basketball tournament." Which...well DUH. And frankly, I'm happy about that.
A vendor who goes to the Frozen Four expecting it to be just like the basketball tournament deserves to lose money.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: April 13, 2010 03:54PM

KeithK
RichH
A vendor who goes to the Frozen Four expecting it to be just like the basketball tournament deserves to lose money.

The guy manning the souvenier table in our hotel lobby seemed to be a CCHA (host) volunteer, so I don't think he personally was out to make a profit. But it wouldn't surprise me if he also volunteered for the Basketball finals when they were in Detroit, and yeah by comparison definitely not the same volume.

I must say, I like my (pricey) zip up frozen four fleece hoody. It is keeping me quite warm at work where I swear the building temps are in the low 60's!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 05:15PM

To give you an idea, at the basketball regional, they were handing out free samples of candies and crackers. I haven't seen that at a hockey tourney, either.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 13, 2010 07:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
To give you an idea, at the basketball regional, they were handing out free samples of candies and crackers. I haven't seen that at a hockey tourney, either.

After the final, we got handed free cans of Coke Zero.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 14, 2010 08:00PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

After the final, we got handed free cans of Coke Zero.

We also got free cans after the Thursday games, an excellent pick-me-up before staying up until 5am drunk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login