Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Freshman (Tony Romano)

Posted by dre1614 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Freshman (Tony Romano)
Posted by: dre1614 (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 10:58PM

I have only been able to watch 2 games this year, but i was wondering how our freshman played this year, especially Romano. Also what is Romano's skill set? Can he become a NHL player?

Romano in The Hockey News
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2007 12:15AM

The Hockey News
February 27, 2007
U.S. College Report

Eastern College Report

"Romano refutes doubts, leads Cornell in goals"
by Tom Boggie

It's time for critics to stop looking for a chink in Tony Romano's armor. First, there was the knock about his size. When the New Jersey Devils drafted him in the sixth round last June, Cornell's freshman center was listed at 5-foot-10, 170 pounds. He's since added 15 pounds to his frame (side note, not true, lost that weight already). Then, some questioned whether he could make the transition from the Tier III Atlantic League to Div. I hockey. But after 25 games, he was Cornell's second-leading scorer with 21 points and shared the team lead with nine goals. "His offensive instincts just jump off the ice at you," said Cornell coach Mike Schafer. A native of Smithtown, N.Y., Romano developed his skills under the tutelage of Aleksey Nikiforov, a former player for the fabled Dynamo Riga team. Romano has worked under Nikiforov since he was three years old and also played for him with the AJHL's New York Bobcats.

Re: Freshman (Tony Romano)
Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 02:08AM

I don't recall Romano playing center at all this year, I believe that he's been strictly a winger.

And I think it's apparent to most that Tony probably has more natural offensive talent than any other player on the team. He's still raw and I think he still tries to stickhandle his way out of situations where he should pass or dump. But there's no denying the skill. I have noticed him becoming more physical and stronger on his skates as the year has worn on.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 03:01AM

evilnaturedrobot
He's still raw and I think he still tries to stickhandle his way out of situations where he should pass or dump. But there's no denying the skill. I have noticed him becoming more physical and stronger on his skates as the year has worn on.

Very astute. Early on, Romano tried many times to do the ol' Sega play of skating down the wing stickhandling or just out-rushing the D and then swooping across the crease and scoring. I'm sure he was able to do that often in Juniors, but this level doesn't allow that easily. He got angled over to the boards almost whenever he tried that. In the 2nd half, I've been able to see the adjustments he's making. He looks for the pass, or pulls up a bit to give the D a chance to commit one way before he takes the other option.

As for the Freshmen class, I think it has been a very fruitful class. Romano and Greening both have the potential to become monster stars in the league. Gallagher has really emerged as a very good passer and playmaker. I'm also bullish on Nash...he had some struggles after a strong start, but I think he'll be an excellent 2-way defenseman, and Krueger can be solid on the blue line as well.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 03:15AM

One concern I'm starting to see with Romano - he gets open, yet doesn't get the puck. Looks like he's frustrated, and he's starting to do more of getting the puck in the defensive end and trying to go all the way with it. I wonder if some of the guys don't like his flashyness and don't want to get him the puck.

Which is too bad, because he's the most creative offensive threat this team's had in a long, long time.

Posted by: sah67 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:18AM

evilnaturedrobot
He's still raw and I think he still tries to stickhandle his way out of situations where he should pass or dump. But there's no denying the skill. I have noticed him becoming more physical and stronger on his skates as the year has worn on.

Another thing I've noticed about Tony as I've watched his play develop throughout the season is that he's still lacking the physicality and aggressiveness of the typical, scrappy Cornell forward, like Mugford, Sawada, etc. Obviously he's smaller than these guys, but watching someone like Topher trying to check guys that have 6 inches and 40 lbs on him, out of their pads, is always inspiring. I don't think I've seen Tony complete one really good check this year, and he always seems to give up the puck very easily when pressured or muscled against the boards...however, his offensive contributions and skating and stick-handling are simply fantastic, and I have few doubts he'll develop the aggressiveness and grit he needs in the near future.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 10:19AM by sah67.

Re: Romano in The Hockey News
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:36AM

amerks127
Romano has worked under Nikiforov since he was three years old and also played for him with the AJHL's New York Bobcats.
Jeez!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 11:35AM

sah67
[I don't think I've seen Tony complete one really good check this year, and he always seems to give up the puck very easily when pressured or muscled against the boards...however, his offensive contributions and skating and stick-handling are simply fantastic, and I have few doubts he'll develop the aggressiveness and grit he needs in the near future.

You could rinse and repeat with Gallagher, Milo, and Scali. Not Greening, though. He's already very strong.

Here are their ages in years and months:

18 11 - Gallagher 3/20/88
19 01 - Romano 1/5/88
19 01 - Nash 3/31/87
19 00 - Milo 2/3/87
20 04 - Krueger 10/8/86
20 05 - Scrivens 9/11/86
20 08 - Scali 6/3/86
20 11 - Greening 3/9/86

No surprise. Gallagher and Romano are the least physically mature, while Greening (more than 2 full years older than Blake) is the most.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 11:36AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: plrd78 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 03:08PM

This is from the NJ Devils web site regarding Romano. Also, we sit near ex. Cornell Coach and NJ Devils Scout Lou Reycroft, he thinks he will be in the Devils organization after his sophmore year. About checking issues, we heard Tony has a bad shoulder and if you remember the recent Yale game, he hit the backboards attempting to break up a 2 on 1and left the game. Why would a player of his talent even think about running players??? But he does finish checks. Yes, we agree that sometimes his teamates look him off, but thats stupid, this is a team game, those players are simply Jealous. Greening is also a wonderful and highl skilled player.He and Romano won't last here, but they should make it as long as they stay healthy.

Tony Romano-Freshman, Cornell University

At 5’11, 185 lbs., Romano is one of Cornell’s smaller players but he brings an element that Cornell has needed more of this season – speed. Romano is an instinctive, high-energy player who is also quick. He has also proven to be quite an offensive threat as well. In 16 games this season, Romano has posted 15 points (seven goals, eight assists). His 15 points rank second on the team and he co-leads the Big Red with seven goals. Of Romano’s seven goals, three have come on the power play. Romano posted his first two collegiate points (both assists) back on Oct. 28 versus RIT. His first collegiate goal came on Nov. 4 versus Yale.

Romano, who just recently sat out two games for some off ice matters, rounds out the Devils group of fab four freshman players this season. The Devils sixth-round draft pick in the 2006 NHL draft and former Atlantic Junior Hockey League scoring star was a bit of an unknown on draft day, but has quickly emerged as one of the Devils more offensively gifted prospects in the system. Romano has the hands of a sniper, and appears to have all the tools to be a point producing centerman. Like fellow freshman forward Perkovich, Romano is only going to get better and could rocket up the prospect ladder if he continues to develop like he has so far in his first season in the NCAA.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 03:09PM by plrd78.

Date: February 28, 2007 04:15PM

5'11"? I have not seen him up close, but from the stands thew few times i have seen him, he doesnt look 5'11".

Anyone who has seen him up close tell how tall he is?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2007 05:40PM

Well, someone thinks very highly of him. He certainly has the skills and potential, but he hasn't shown the ability to physically hang with players at this level yet. And he won't be able to unless he gets bigger. Some guys are just unable to (see McCutcheon) and if Tony can't, he's not going to make it to the NHL. So far, I just have two words: Vinnie Auger. We'll see if he can develop to a point where he can utilize his skill.

[q]Why would a player of his talent even think about running players?[/q]

What is this, Ice Capades? Maybe a bit less so this year, but it's still Schafer-brand Cornell hockey in the ECACHL. If he won't take the body, he won't be seeing a lot of ice time.

Greening, on the other hand, has NHL written all over him. Physically dominant as a freshman and with a great shot, he's what everyone hoped Shane Hynes would be.

Date: February 28, 2007 05:46PM

i agree with that assesment, but he is still a freshman. No reason to think with another 3 years with Cornell he wont get bigger, and more physical.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 06:00PM

plrd78
Also, we sit near ex. Cornell Coach and NJ Devils Scout Lou Reycroft, he thinks he will be in the Devils organization after his sophmore year.

Ugh.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 06:16PM

CowbellGuy
Well, someone thinks very highly of him. He certainly has the skills and potential, but he hasn't shown the ability to physically hang with players at this level yet. And he won't be able to unless he gets bigger. Some guys are just unable to (see McCutcheon) and if Tony can't, he's not going to make it to the NHL. So far, I just have two words: Vinnie Auger. We'll see if he can develop to a point where he can utilize his skill.

[q]Why would a player of his talent even think about running players?[/q]

What is this, Ice Capades? Maybe a bit less so this year, but it's still Schafer-brand Cornell hockey in the ECACHL. If he won't take the body, he won't be seeing a lot of ice time.

Greening, on the other hand, has NHL written all over him. Physically dominant as a freshman and with a great shot, he's what everyone hoped Shane Hynes would be.

I agree and think that Greening has a better shot at the NHL than Romano. Greening has no weaknesses and plays a very mature game. He just needs to become more polished.

Romano certainly has the natural skill level to play in the NHL but he is far too soft and doesn't think the game very well at least at this stage of his career. Trying to stickhandle through four guys doesn't work at the college level so I'm guessing it won't at the NHL level yet he still does this pretty frequently. He also tries to dipsy-doodle his way out of trouble in the defensive zone which generally just throws everyone else off and ends up turning over the puck. He has a lot of growing to do in his game.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 09:09PM

Tony's problem is that he has no idea how to incorporate the 4 other players on his line into the play. He is very one dimensional. He plays when he has the puck on his stick, when he loses it, he stops playing. If he ever learns how to pass he could be a very good player. At this point all he has is some speed and very good hands. He has no concept that hockey is a team game. He is very soft. He will cirlce the perimeter and either lose the puck or lob a shot at the goal. He will not force the play to the middle. What he was able to get away with early in the season has not worked for him in many games.

Look for him not in the NHL after his 2nd season, but in the Q or the O as soon as Cornell loses this season.

Date: February 28, 2007 09:49PM

DILLIGAF
Tony's problem is that he has no idea how to incorporate the 4 other players on his line into the play. He is very one dimensional. He plays when he has the puck on his stick, when he loses it, he stops playing. If he ever learns how to pass he could be a very good player. At this point all he has is some speed and very good hands. He has no concept that hockey is a team game. He is very soft. He will cirlce the perimeter and either lose the puck or lob a shot at the goal. He will not force the play to the middle. What he was able to get away with early in the season has not worked for him in many games.

Look for him not in the NHL after his 2nd season, but in the Q or the O as soon as Cornell loses this season.

What is the Q or O? Is it a league where he can work on his decision making, and defense?

Date: February 28, 2007 09:52PM

dre1614

What is the Q or O? Is it a league where he can work on his decision making, and defense?

Q = Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
O = Ontario Hockey League

Those two, along with the Western Hockey League comprise the Canadian Hockey League which is where the majority of North American NHL players played their hockey when they were college-age.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2007 09:54PM

dre1614

I assume he/she was referring to the OHL and the QMJHL two of the Major Junior hockey leagues in Canada. Generally, these leagues are considered softer and more offense-oriented than the WHL which is known as a tougher defensive-minded league. So to answer your question, I'd say no.

Posted by: hockeydude (131.128.211.---)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:24PM

You forgot the one major "catch" to this. By going to play in the Q, O, or W a player loses their college eligibilty. So if Romano does leave to play in any of these leagues he would no longer be able to return to Cornell or any other NCAA school to play D1 hockey. He would also only have 2 years remaing to play in these leagues beginning next year since eligibility is based on birth year and he is an '88 (this year is the last year for 86's to play in the leagues).

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:30PM

I think the point was that he would quit college hockey to do major junior.

Posted by: hockeydude (131.128.211.---)
Date: March 01, 2007 01:18AM

yeah, but if you read on the board people didn't know what the Q or O was so they probably had no idea that be going there he was giving up his eligibility

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: March 01, 2007 10:51AM

Dude seriously, people don't usually bother me on this forum with whatever it is they choose to write. But come on. We get it. You know hockey. Stop trying to make the others around you feel like morons. Just state your opinions and join in the discourse. There is no reason to attack people in, what is now what, 50% of your total posts on the board?

Edit: actually 50%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2007 10:55AM by BCrespi.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 01, 2007 10:55AM

BCrespi
There is no reason to attack people in, what is now what, 40% of your total posts on the board?
And he's been unfairly "attacked" - if you really want to devalue the meaning of the word - for the same percentage. There was nothing wrong with either pointing out that going to Q or O would end a player's college eligibility OR to defend that post (even if he was a little condescending in both).

Date: March 01, 2007 10:56AM

ugarte
BCrespi
There is no reason to attack people in, what is now what, 40% of your total posts on the board?
And he's been unfairly "attacked" - if you really want to devalue the meaning of the word - for the same percentage. There was nothing wrong with either pointing out that going to Q or O would end a player's college eligibility OR to defend that post (even if he was a little condescending in both).

I agree, and that's my whole point. His contributions are valuable, his tone is not, and for me it devalues what he is saying.

Date: March 01, 2007 11:19AM

hockeydude
He would also only have 2 years remaing to play in these leagues beginning next year since eligibility is based on birth year and he is an '88 (this year is the last year for 86's to play in the leagues).
Also, teams in the CHL are only allowed 3 20 year-olds, and it's highly questionably whether a CHL team would burn one of its spots on a newbie to the league -- ordinarily, their oldest players are highly experienced, leadership guys and ultra-physical guys who can open the ice up for younger skill players.

I doubt the flight risk of a Cornell player to the major juniors -- IIRC, it has happened only once, with goalie Darin McInnis leaving for the Regina Pats in 1987. McInnis also may have flunked out -- I don't know the details.

hockeydude -- you're going to find the level of dickheadedness tolerated on this board is considerably lower than say USCHO or other hockey forums. This is a closeknit community of friends of the team and the sport. Please act accordingly. Obviously, you have some knowledge of the sport and your observations are welcome. If you want to be caustic, there are plenty of other places for that.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2007 11:24AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2007 11:56AM

Trotsky
I doubt the flight risk of a Cornell player to the major juniors -- IIRC, it has happened only once, with goalie Darin McInnis leaving for the Regina Pats in 1987. McInnis also may have flunked out -- I don't know the details.

You mean just going to Major Junior without signing an NHL contract? Because JMP was told to go play in the Q by the Flyers IIRC.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 01, 2007 12:35PM

It sounds like Romano is still suffering from playing in a lower level junior league before Cornell. Being the big fish in a small pond can lead to bad habits. Why trust your teammates when you can do it yourself with regularity? If you can go coast to coast, you probably should. If he's smart (or hockey smart anyway) he'll do his best to adjust to the higher level. Hopefully he will have 3 more years to work at it in Lynah.

Posted by: hockeydude (131.128.32.---)
Date: March 01, 2007 12:48PM

sorry if you do not like the tone I use. I am not trying to upset anyone as I know by reading the board that most people on here know eachother. I was just trying to inform people about what going to play in the Q and O meant to a player and his future. it is very hard to get the tone across when typing. I am just trying to add my opinion and knowledge if I can.

Date: March 01, 2007 12:56PM

jtwcornell91
You mean just going to Major Junior without signing an NHL contract? Because JMP was told to go play in the Q by the Flyers IIRC.
I didn't actually mean that, but it still holds. Once the NHL club gets involved it's a whole other story for the major junior team, as they have to balance their local revenue interests (team composition --> winning) with their larger role in the context of being the NHL's primary development league.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2007 05:32PM

[removed]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 02:09PM by mttgrmm.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2007 05:48PM

That might be a PM for details kind of post.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 01, 2007 06:08PM

ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 01, 2007 06:13PM

French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.
Has that ever stopped anyone on this board?

Date: March 01, 2007 06:13PM

Josh '99
French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.
Has that ever stopped anyone on this board?
Jerk.

Date: March 01, 2007 07:19PM

French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.

I didn't mean it as a joke. I realize everyone now takes it as such, but I'm not sure Romano or Schafer would really want that information posted publicly. Maybe I'm just being overly concerned.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2007 07:47PM

I agree with eblimes 100%. That kind of information is definitely private. If it wasn't, I'm sure people would've known by now.

Date: March 01, 2007 07:52PM

ebilmes
French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.

I didn't mean it as a joke. I realize everyone now takes it as such, but I'm not sure Romano or Schafer would really want that information posted publicly. Maybe I'm just being overly concerned.
When a parent says that to a (I'm assuming) relative stranger at a hockey game it's probably fair game for posting. Now, if that parent told you in confidence then it's a different story.

Date: March 01, 2007 07:55PM

KeithK
ebilmes
French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.

When a parent says that to a (I'm assuming) relative stranger at a hockey game it's probably fair game for posting. Now, if that parent told you in confidence then it's a different story.

The parent must have thought it was just a 1-on-1 conversation. You don't assume everything you say will be posted online for others to read.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: March 01, 2007 08:05PM

ebilmes
The parent must have thought it was just a 1-on-1 conversation. You don't assume everything you say will be posted online for others to read.

Let's put it a little less harsh on the poster. There are two possibilities: either the parent could not care less, or the parent would not be happy about his words floating around the net. Even if you're 90% sure it's the former, still, if it's the latter you may have embarrassed or annoyed the parent, neither of which is desirable.

Now, you may well retort that in the world of Senator Stevens' Tubes, you should be prepared that anything you tell a stranger is going to be available to the world in the time it takes him to text message it. And you would be right. But do be aware that not everybody is used to that world quite yet.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2007 08:48PM

Trotsky
ebilmes

Let's put it a little less harsh on the poster. There are two possibilities: either the parent could not care less, or the parent would not be happy about his words floating around the net. Even if you're 90% sure it's the former, still, if it's the latter you may have embarrassed or annoyed the parent, neither of which is desirable.

Now, you may well retort that in the world of Senator Stevens' Tubes, you should be prepared that anything you tell a stranger is going to be available to the world in the time it takes him to text message it. And you would be right. But do be aware that not everybody is used to that world quite yet.

What you say is true, but don't you think player's families know about all the hockey forums, internet broadcasts, and even us! I think they would know that anything said at a game will be repeated, at least verbally. He may have made a mistake, but I doubt it, and if he did he should say "oh keep this quiet", as if that would help.

So, I say it's fair to post it, however our opponents now can know it.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2007 08:53PM

Jim Hyla
What you say is true, but don't you think player's families know about all the hockey forums, internet broadcasts, and even us! I think they would know that anything said at a game will be repeated, at least verbally.

As opposed to what, by semaphore? :-D

(Sorry, it's a bye week, what can I say...)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 01, 2007 10:30PM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
What you say is true, but don't you think player's families know about all the hockey forums, internet broadcasts, and even us! I think they would know that anything said at a game will be repeated, at least verbally.

As opposed to what, by semaphore? :-D

(Sorry, it's a bye week, what can I say...)

No, repeated in writing, as was done on this thread.smashfreak

Date: March 02, 2007 08:27AM

Hopefully he will have 3 more years to work at it in Lynah.

Not likely given that his agent was in attendence saturday night.

Sorry I meant "family advisor."

There are two real possiblities here.

1. He goes Major Junior as soon as they are out and he has surgery in the off-season

2. He has surgery and goes Major Junior next year.

I am betting on option 1. Get in and play and then have surgery.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 11:19AM

ebilmes
KeithK
ebilmes
French Rage
ebilmes

The joke is sooo 2005.

No, you do assume that, if you say something to a stranger in the seats at a hockey game. There's absolutely zero reasonable expectation of privacy in that situation. If you don't want something known publicly, you don't say it publicly, and that's that. If you say it publicly, it's fair game, both legally and ethically.

Date: March 02, 2007 11:51AM

ftyuv
No, you do assume that, if you say something to a stranger in the seats at a hockey game. There's absolutely zero reasonable expectation of privacy in that situation. If you don't want something known publicly, you don't say it publicly, and that's that. If you say it publicly, it's fair game, both legally and ethically.
Besides, it's not like this is some deep dark secret or information on an injury that could somehow help an opponent or lead to further injury. We were on here specualting about whether Romano would stick around anyway.

As for Schafer/the team not wanting that information posted publically, how would it hurt the team? I'd imagine the players usually have a sense of who might leave early, so it shouldn't affect morale. (They don't read this board anyway, right? :-)) It doesn't help opponents on the ice in any way. I couldn't see how it could hurt recruiting either. So anyway, I think it's much ado about nothing. But it is a bye week....

Date: March 02, 2007 12:11PM

DILLIGAF
Hopefully he will have 3 more years to work at it in Lynah.

Not likely given that his agent was in attendence saturday night.

Sorry I meant "family advisor."

There are two real possiblities here.

1. He goes Major Junior as soon as they are out and he has surgery in the off-season

2. He has surgery and goes Major Junior next year.

I am betting on option 1. Get in and play and then have surgery.

Who said anything about an agent? So far we know that Tony's father was in attendance saterday night, which NCAA regulations, as absurd as they may be, still allow players to have.

I don't get where you're coming from with this CHL stuff. In the vast majority of cases of NCAA players jumping to Major Junior (the most recent being Nigel Williams bolting Wisconsin earlier this year) they do so because they're not getting enough playing time. Romano has seen a lot of ice time, especially for a freshman, so I don't see why he would decide to uproot and move north of the border.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 01:04PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: johnny923 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 01:07PM

I don't think people are concerned about knowing he might jump early, the other teams could get an advantage by knowing that he has been playing with only one arm. Teams could go after that shoulder or adjust their defense because they know he won't have the zip on his shot that he normally does.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.tcatmail.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 01:19PM

KeithK

As for Schafer/the team not wanting that information posted publically, how would it hurt the team?

For athletes, injuries are a major concern to future employers. Having a detailed, and negative, injury history is not ideal for a player with pro aspirations. A college team that doesn't disclose injuries is that much more appealing to recruits.

There are some injuries that cannot be hidden, like separated shoulders that clearly impact performance, but there are many that can be hidden, like concussions. A player will sometimes hide injuries from his own training staff.

Edit: As far as this information being public, if someone is close enough to know about the injury, they should be close enough to know whether it should or shouldn't be told publicly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 01:22PM by mtmack25.

Date: March 02, 2007 01:19PM

Which is why it might be a good idea to, say, delete all the posts referring to it, including this one.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 01:41PM

Man, between this and the goaltender thread you can really see this is a bye week. It sure will be nice when we can discuss a game or upcoming opponent.

Let's see now, who should we root for? Hey that's an idea, I'm starting a new thread.twak

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 07:10PM

Agreed... I don't see any reason why major juniors would be an option he's considering. This thread seems to have become quite speculative with little basis for anything.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 08:02PM

Cactus12
Agreed... I don't see any reason why major juniors would be an option he's considering. This thread seems to have become quite speculative with little basis for anything.
Well, it would be the same reason any other player would choose major junior over college: he's tired of taking classes and wants to spend more time playing hockey.

I'm not saying that he IS leaning that way, having little knowledge of the situation, but the reasons he might be doing so seem to be pretty clear.

Date: March 02, 2007 11:19PM

evilnaturedrobot
Romano has seen a lot of ice time, especially for a freshman, so I don't see why he would decide to upbarrack and move north of the border.

FYP.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 12:44PM

I mentioned this in a game thread a few months back, but Tony Romano seems a lot like Brock Tredway. Tredway scored scads of goals for CU back in the 70's, but didn't really even sniff the NHL as a pro.

Another similarity between them is that neither of them is much of a fan of the physical game. Tredway could take a check OK, but he worked pretty hard to get hit as little as possible. Romano seems to have the same approach. I note there is nothing wrong with that, especially if it keeps him in the lineup.

Romano's game seems very raw at this point. I think he'll benefit greatly from having a few years of D-1 hockey experience.

The question I keep coming back to, though, is whether Schafer is the right coach for Milo and Romano. They're very focused on offense and I just wonder if the coach can mold their games without stifling/wasting their abilities.

Karl '77

Date: March 05, 2007 03:14PM

heykb
The question I keep coming back to, though, is whether Schafer is the right coach for Milo and Romano. They're very focused on offense and I just wonder if the coach can mold their games without stifling/wasting their abilities.
I would assume Schafer considered this when recruiting them. Note also that we have had guys in the past who were offense-oriented, and who fit well into the system because they attacked all the time, including on the backcheck. Ryan Vesce and Kyle Knopp come to mind; also Topher. You can be a good Schafer player and be primarily active in the offensive zone, as long as you are constantly involved and intense.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 03:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 04:57PM

heykb
I mentioned this in a game thread a few months back, but Tony Romano seems a lot like Brock Tredway. Tredway scored scads of goals for CU back in the 70's, but didn't really even sniff the NHL as a pro.

Another similarity between them is that neither of them is much of a fan of the physical game. Tredway could take a check OK, but he worked pretty hard to get hit as little as possible. Romano seems to have the same approach. I note there is nothing wrong with that, especially if it keeps him in the lineup.Karl '77

Granted that was a different time with a lot more offense, however, Tredway seemed to have more goal scoring ability as a freshman than we see now. Maybe "the arm problem" is also playing a role. If he ends up like Tredway I think we'd all be happy with his CU career.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 05:54PM

Jim Hyla
heykb

Another similarity between them is that neither of them is much of a fan of the physical game. Tredway could take a check OK, but he worked pretty hard to get hit as little as possible. Romano seems to have the same approach. I note there is nothing wrong with that, especially if it keeps him in the lineup.Karl '77

Granted that was a different time with a lot more offense, however, Tredway seemed to have more goal scoring ability as a freshman than we see now. Maybe "the arm problem" is also playing a role. If he ends up like Tredway I think we'd all be happy with his CU career.

I agree with you, Jim. I believe Brock scored 113 goals in 113 games. Not bad!! Tony may have one little problem, he's not playing on a line with (anyone like) Lance Nethery & Roy Kerling. What a line that was!!!

Date: March 06, 2007 04:56PM

You hit the nail on the head. I think Milo is playing a very complete game. He does a lot of the little things that no one else is doing out there, but in the offensive zone, nobody passes the puck so his talent as a goal scorer is being wasted. He plays a great defensive game and his talents are being wasted in that Schafer can't figure out who to play him with that would complement him. I don't think the coaching staff has any idea just how talented and complete a player Milo is. If he were 6" taller, he would be a NHL 1st round draft pick.

With Romano, his game isn't suited to the college game. He plays a very selfish game. He doesn't want to play defense, He doesn't care about defense, he doesn't utilize his line-mates. It is all about him scoring goals. Assists are not even in his lexicon. His game is very well suited for major junior hockey, not college. It is for this reason that he will move on as soon as Cornell is out of the playoffs.

Date: March 06, 2007 05:42PM

DILLIGAF

You hit the nail on the head. I think Milo is playing a very complete game. He does a lot of the little things that no one else is doing out there, but in the offensive zone, nobody passes the puck so his talent as a goal scorer is being wasted. He plays a great defensive game and his talents are being wasted in that Schafer can't figure out who to play him with that would complement him. I don't think the coaching staff has any idea just how talented and complete a player Milo is. If he were 6" taller, he would be a NHL 1st round draft pick.

With Romano, his game isn't suited to the college game. He plays a very selfish game. He doesn't want to play defense, He doesn't care about defense, he doesn't utilize his line-mates. It is all about him scoring goals. Assists are not even in his lexicon. His game is very well suited for major junior hockey, not college. It is for this reason that he will move on as soon as Cornell is out of the playoffs.

8 Tony Romano (NJD) F FR | 27 9 10 19

And it's not likehe's blasting point shots and those assists are coming off deflections.

Does Tony look to shoot first? Absolutely, but it's not as if he's firing every puck he gets without regard to his linemates. You need snipers, I don't have a problem with that mentality.

You almost seem to have an agenda against Mr. Romano. Has he done somthing to offend you personally?

And this 'not suited for college hockey' argument is nonsense. A talented hockey player is a talented hockey player. We've got one of the best defensive coaches in the NCAA, I see no reason why he can't learn. Has he had his faults this year? Absolutely, but he's also tied for fourth on the team in scoring, and there have been weekends when he's been the best player on the ice. I'm not sure why you are so determined to see him leave town.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 08:27PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: March 06, 2007 06:46PM

evilnaturedrobot
And this 'not suited for college hockey' arguemtn is nonsense. A talented hockey player is a talented hockey player. We've got one of the best defensive coaches in the NCAA, I see no reason why he can't learn. Has he had his faults this year? Absolutely, but he's also tied for fourth on the team in scoring, and there have been weekends when he's been the best player on the ice. I'm not sure why you are so determined to see him leave town.
I might add that if Romano is as one-dimensional as DILLIGAF suggests, the Devils are damn sure going to want him to become a better two-way player. He's more likely to get better defensively playing for Schafer than he is playing major junior.

Date: March 06, 2007 08:28PM

He's more likely to get better defensively playing for Schafer than he is playing major junior.

That is an excellent point. He would likely become better defensively better playing for schafer. I wasn't pointing out what he should do, but what I believe he is likely to do. He is like the bantam who has the huge slapshot who only practices the huge slapshot and never works on the deficiencies in his game. He has very good hands. The deficiency in his game is playing away from the puck. His russian coach has done him a great disservice in not teaching him how to play without the puck and the idea that you give up the puck to a teammate who is in a better position than you to get it back when in a better position. Watch him closely. You get his best game when he has the puck, not when he doesn't. The majority of the game is played without the puck and Tony doesn't play without the puck well. How successful has he been lately? His hands and his speed worked early. It hasn't recently. Could it be his shoulder injury? Possibly. Could it be that he and the rest of the team haven't progressed thoughout the season and the other teams have? More likely. Can you honestly say that he has improved? Can you honestly say the team has improved? I see the same mistakes that were made in November being made now. Why is that?

Someone else questioned if I have a personal vendetta against him. I do not. Is honest opinion not welcome here? Has be been annointed the savior of Big Red hockey and untouchable and I missed it?

I haven't written anything here that I wouldn't say to him personally and couldn't back up with video.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 08:29PM by DILLIGAF.

Date: March 06, 2007 08:42PM

DILLIGAF
Someone else questioned if I have a personal vendetta against him. I do not. Is honest opinion not welcome here?
Your opinion is very much welcome and appreciated. Just continue to explain and back up your comments like you have here. Some folks may disagree with you but that's fine.

Date: March 06, 2007 08:43PM

I questioned your motives because of the absurd assertions that you've been making. He only practices his offensive skills? Have you been sitting in on practices recently?

Have I seen a progression? Well he certainly isn't trying to deke his way out of the defensive zone anymore, and he has gotten stronger and more willing to go into corners. He's never going to be a player that lays opposing players out, that's ok, not every player on the team has to do that.

Lost in all this is the fact that he adds an element that this team has lacked over the last few years: explosive speed and upper echelon offensive skill.

Does he have deficiencies? Yes. Is he a better player with the puck than without it? Yes. Has he still managed to have a very successful freshman year? Yes.

No one's anointing him anything, you're the only person that's making big sweeping statements about him.

I take exception to the idea that you know how hard he practices, or what his motives are. You're just making this up. You've noticed some deficiencies in his game and extrapolated that into a personality defect, and that is completely unfair.

Opinions are always welcome, but making statements like: he'll most likely leave for the Q, or: he doesn't practice hard, without any actual evidence is a pretty useless and an unfair thing to do. You can't just make wild incinuations about a player and not expect someone to call you out on it.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 08:54PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:09PM

DILLIGAF
It is for this reason that he [Romano]will move on as soon as Cornell is out of the playoffs.
I believe it is the way you phrase this--with such emphatic certitude--that is turning off your readers here. You don't say: I think he will move on; or, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved on. Either of these would not be unreasonable and therefore accepted by regulars here.

I infer from your comment above stating that you would "say this to him personally" that in fact you don't know him and haven't discussed this matter with him at all. So I believe you are out of line to make such definitive statements with apparently nothing to inform them. You may turn out to be right, but that could also be true of any wild-ass conjecture someone might choose to post irresponsibly on the internet.

Date: March 07, 2007 04:05PM

DILLIGAF
I've seen most of this year's games either in person or on video. I couldn't disagree with you more. Romano is neither more nor less advanced in total positional play at this point than Vinnie Auger or, going back further, Kent Manderville or Trent Andison was at the comparable point in their respective careers. Every finesse player hits a wall where his pure talent isn't enough to carry himself and his team, and he needs to become a cog in a wheel. This is nothing new. Watch Brandan Wong playing for Q this weekend. Everything you are saying about Romano could as easily be said about him.

I love Romano's talent. He'll learn to fit into a team offense and defense, and he'll be a great addition to the squad. As we get more explosive offensive players, we are going to see a painful D learning curve for many of them, because of the nature of the Junior A development path. They learned to showboat to get noticed by the scouts. Now they learn the way the game is really played. Same story, going on 80 years of hockey now.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 04:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: plrd78 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 05:31PM

Trotsky
DILLIGAF
I've seen most of this year's games either in person or on video. I couldn't disagree with you more. Romano is neither more nor less advanced in total positional play at this point than Vinnie Auger or, going back further, Kent Manderville or Trent Andison was at the comparable point in their respective careers. Every finesse player hits a wall where his pure talent isn't enough to carry himself and his team, and he needs to become a cog in a wheel. This is nothing new. Watch Brandan Wong playing for Q this weekend. Everything you are saying about Romano could as easily be said about him.

I love Romano's talent. He'll learn to fit into a team offense and defense, and he'll be a great addition to the squad. As we get more explosive offensive players, we are going to see a painful D learning curve for many of them, because of the nature of the Junior A development path. They learned to showboat to get noticed by the scouts. Now they learn the way the game is really played. Same story, going on 80 years of hockey now.

In response: to dilligaf, do you have a clue what you are stating. First Major Jr. produces more NHL caliber players then the NCAA almost 5 to 1. Posts like yours are a joke and can not be taken serious. The Coaching staff must like Romano's play or else he would not play as much as he does. Do you know him and have you discussed his future with him. Are you his agent. I think you should can it. You can hide behind this site but face to face I believe your a coward.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 05:36PM by plrd78.

Date: March 07, 2007 06:20PM

plrd78
In response: to dilligaf, do you have a clue what you are stating. First Major Jr. produces more NHL caliber players then the NCAA almost 5 to 1. Posts like yours are a joke and can not be taken serious.
How does pointing out that Major Junior produces more NHL caliber players than the NCAA disprove DILLIGAF's point?

Date: March 07, 2007 06:24PM

plrd78 way to go on the personal attack.

I am not the one trying to be tough online like you toughguy. What are you calling me out? A Coward? Would you teach me a lesson? You are a clown.

I stated objective opinions about Romano. I didn't represent them as anything other than my own and I didn't even personally attack him. I have made an educated opinion that he will not complete his 4 years at Cornell. Time will prove how accurate that prediction actually is, but it in no way maligned you or even Tony Ramono.

Maybe you need to put down the Big Red Kool-Ade and take an objective look at what I wrote. You are holding on way too tight to be objective or even rational.

Date: March 07, 2007 06:24PM

Josh '99
plrd78
In response: to dilligaf, do you have a clue what you are stating. First Major Jr. produces more NHL caliber players then the NCAA almost 5 to 1. Posts like yours are a joke and can not be taken serious.
How does pointing out that Major Junior produces more NHL caliber players than the NCAA disprove DILLIGAF's point?

I think it was plrd78's masterful use of punctuation, sentence structure, complete non-sequiturs, and incomprehensibility that were supposed to disprove DILLIGAF's point.

Man, I'm getting curmudgeonly. Is it Friday yet?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 07:12PM

Beeeej
Man, I'm getting curmudgeonly.

"Getting"? whistle

Date: March 07, 2007 07:33PM

I absolutely cannot see Romano leaving Cornell after his freshman year. All this crap about Schafer stifling Romano's talent, his teammates not passing him the puck, Tony not playing defense, etc., is ridiculous. Look for a healthier Romano to come back next year and top the offensive accomplishments he made this season.

Let's get excited for this weekend and argue about this after the season is over.

Let's Go Red!

Date: March 07, 2007 08:08PM

I don't think the speculation about Romano is at all ridiculous given what we know of him, even if it may be unlikely. I do think we should table this as ebilmes suggest and focus on the playoffs. Hopefully we can delay these discussions until sometime in mid April :-D.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 07, 2007 08:37PM

DILLIGAF

I am not the one trying to be tough online like you toughguy. What are you calling me out? A Coward? Would you teach me a lesson? You are a clown.

I stated objective opinions about Romano. I didn't represent them as anything other than my own and I didn't even personally attack him. I have made an educated opinion that he will not complete his 4 years at Cornell. Time will prove how accurate that prediction actually is, but it in no way maligned you or even Tony Ramono.

Maybe you need to put down the Big Red Kool-Ade and take an objective look at what I wrote. You are holding on way too tight to be objective or even rational.

isn't bye week infighting so much fun? just rememeber... see attachment (disclaimer: I know it's wrong, get over it)

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 08:44PM

Dpperk29
DILLIGAF

isn't bye week infighting so much fun? just rememeber... see attachment (disclaimer: I know it's wrong, get over it)

OMG STOP TROLLING, TROLLSY McTROSALOT!! CL4RKSON SUX0RS N0000B!

Happy ByeWeek, everyone :)

Date: March 07, 2007 09:11PM

KeithK
I don't think the speculation about Romano is at all ridiculous given what we know of him, even if it may be unlikely. I do think we should table this as ebilmes suggest and focus on the playoffs. Hopefully we can delay these discussions until sometime in mid April :-D.

Yeah, this is more of a mid-July argument.

Date: March 08, 2007 11:04AM

DILLIGAF

I stated SUBjective opinions about Romano. I didn't represent them as anything other than my own and I didn't even personally attack him. I have made an educated opinion that he will not complete his 4 years at Cornell. Time will prove how accurate that prediction actually is, but it in no way maligned you or even Tony Ramono.

Fixed your post. Can't wait for Friday...and I hope Romano scores 4 goals with 5 assists, 3 blocked shots and 7 hits this weekend. Would that make everybody happy? Let's just get a couple wins, eh?

Oh, and by the way, Big Red Kool-Aid is the bestest Kool-Aid. And don't let anybody tell you different.

Posted by: sah67 (128.253.207.---)
Date: March 08, 2007 03:34PM

BCrespi
and I hope Romano scores 4 goals with 5 assists, 3 blocked shots and 7 hits this weekend. Would that make everybody happy?

Hmm...only if we roll a line of just one player...Romano, plus Scrivens or Davenport. Hell, we could have Tony cover goal to ensure he has some defensive ability before he takes off for the major juniors in a few weeks. Is there a too-few men on the ice penalty?

Date: March 08, 2007 03:53PM

BCrespi
I hope Romano scores 4 goals with 5 assists, 3 blocked shots and 7 hits this weekend.
If that happens, he's definitely going pro.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 03:57PM

ugarte
BCrespi
I hope Romano scores 4 goals with 5 assists, 3 blocked shots and 7 hits this weekend.
If that happens, he's definitely going pro.

listen, if he has the ability to put up those numbers, don't the Devils know that? in which case, he is very obviously going pro immediately after this weekend. the speculation surrounding the issue may, in fact, lead to his going pro before the weekend even happens!

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 04:03PM

sah67
defensive ability before he takes off for the major juniors in a few weeks. Is there a too-few men on the ice penalty?

Well, you have to have two goalies at least. But other than that, I did find this on page 25 of the rulebook:

It is mandatory, however, that 18 players and not more than three goalkeepers listed on the official game report form are the players who shall dress for the game.

So you have to dress at least 18 players, it sounds like. Other than that, I found on page 28:

g. Should a team start with fewer players than allowed and the officials err in detecting this situation, any subsequently entering players shall not be eligible to play the puck coming from the player’s defensive zone until that player has returned to the defensive zone or until possession and control of the puck have been gained by another player in the neutral zone or in the player’s attacking zone.

But as far as I can see, there's no rule if the officials do not err in detecting this situation. Interesting question.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 08, 2007 04:34PM

ftyuv
sah67
defensive ability before he takes off for the major juniors in a few weeks. Is there a too-few men on the ice penalty?

Well, you have to have two goalies at least. But other than that, I did find this on page 25 of the rulebook:

It is mandatory, however, that 18 players and not more than three goalkeepers listed on the official game report form are the players who shall dress for the game.

So you have to dress at least 18 players, it sounds like. Other than that, I found on page 28:

g. Should a team start with fewer players than allowed and the officials err in detecting this situation, any subsequently entering players shall not be eligible to play the puck coming from the player’s defensive zone until that player has returned to the defensive zone or until possession and control of the puck have been gained by another player in the neutral zone or in the player’s attacking zone.

But as far as I can see, there's no rule if the officials do not err in detecting this situation. Interesting question.

The official is supposed to require you to have 5 players on the ice for a faceoff. If you fail to do so it results in a delay of game penalty. (Sorry, too lazy to find it in the rule book, but this was discussed on USCHO recently)

Date: March 08, 2007 05:50PM

ftyuv
So you have to dress at least 18 players, it sounds like.
I have to imagine that if, say, your team were on the road for the weekend, and they ate at, say, the Pizza Hut in Canton, and they all came down with, say, food poisoning? In that case, they probably wouldn't make you forfeit the game if you only dressed 16 skaters. But hey, the NCAA has a track record for being stodgy about unimportant rules, so I could be wrong.

Posted by: Avash (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 05:56PM

Josh '99
ftyuv
I have to imagine that if, say, your team were on the road for the weekend, and they ate at, say, the Pizza Hut in Canton, and they all came down with, say, food poisoning? In that case, they probably wouldn't make you forfeit the game if you only dressed 16 skaters. But hey, the NCAA has a track record for being stodgy about unimportant rules, so I could be wrong.

Recent instance of Cornell dressing 16 skaters: [www.collegehockeystats.net]

(Cam Abbott, Ryan Vesce and Charlie Cook were all injured... and Byron Bitz and Ryan O'Byrne were serving Game DQs)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2007 06:01PM by Avash '05.

Posted by: Giffy (---.cee.cornell.edu)
Date: March 08, 2007 06:36PM

Avash '05
Josh '99
ftyuv

(Cam Abbott, Ryan Vesce and Charlie Cook were all injured... and Byron Bitz and Ryan O'Byrne were serving Game DQs)

If I remember correctly we were down to 15 by the end of that game because Wallace went out with an injury and it seemed like Downs played the whole third period.

Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2007 07:08PM

Doesn't the rule actually state dress at most 18 skaters and at most 3 goalies? I thought a team can dress as few as 5 skaters and 1 goalie for a game. . . .but that's a recipe for a very long night.

Date: March 08, 2007 07:14PM

Giffy
Avash '05
Josh '99
ftyuv

If I remember correctly we were down to 15 by the end of that game because Wallace went out with an injury and it seemed like Downs played the whole third period.

Ah yes, I remember it well. No, wait, I don't because I drove 2 hours in the snow only to find they were sold out after being told earlier in the day they wouldn't be.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2007 07:40PM

TShen
Doesn't the rule actually state dress at most 18 skaters and at most 3 goalies? I thought a team can dress as few as 5 skaters and 1 goalie for a game. . . .but that's a recipe for a very long night.
Hey, Ned won a national championship at RPI skating only nine--but he probably dressed more.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2007 07:40PM

French Rage
Giffy
Avash '05
Josh '99
ftyuv

Ah yes, I remember it well. No, wait, I don't because I drove 2 hours in the snow only to find they were sold out after being told earlier in the day they wouldn't be.

Well, looks like I was wrong. :) But TShen, no, you do have to have at least 2 goalies.

Date: March 08, 2007 09:20PM

Al DeFlorio
TShen
Hey, Ned won a national championship at RPI skating only nine--but he probably dressed more.

But he knew how to manage the lights.;-)

Date: March 09, 2007 07:48AM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
TShen

But he knew how to manage the lights.;-)

....And the thermostat!

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:42AM

A nice scouting report on Romano at hockeysfuture.com give no indication that the Devils want anything but to let this kid develop at Cornell. It even goes so far as to point out that he has 3 years eligability in which to do so. He's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Btw, Tony Romano has moved up to #11 in the Devils prospect depth chart, up from NR. Congrats.

Date: March 09, 2007 11:16AM

The Rancor
He's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree. He may be our best freshman. But, he's hardly the second coming of Joe N., or mini-mites such as Perrin or St. Louis. I understand comparing him to Joe N. is not fair because Tony doesn't possess the size & skills. Tony is comparable in many ways to Perrin & St. Louis. Perrin is a marginal NHL player. And, while St. Louis is an NHL star, it took him a while to gain that status. If Tony can achieve NHL stardom (a long shot), it's going to take him a while too. Staying at defense-minded Cornell for four years will serve him well in preparing for the Devils' system. I hope he stays four years. It will be fun to watch him progress.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 12:39PM

redice
The Rancor

I agree. He may be our best freshman. But, he's hardly the second coming of Joe N., or mini-mites such as Perrin or St. Louis. I understand comparing him to Joe N. is not fair because Tony doesn't possess the size & skills. Tony is comparable in many ways to Perrin & St. Louis. Perrin is a marginal NHL player. And, while St. Louis is an NHL star, it took him a while to gain that status. If Tony can achieve NHL stardom (a long shot), it's going to take him a while too. Staying at defense-minded Cornell for four years will serve him well in preparing for the Devils' system. I hope he stays four years. It will be fun to watch him progress.

i see him as a moulson-esque type in the next few years.

Date: March 09, 2007 02:19PM

redice
The Rancor

I think he is actually faster than Joe N. and as for St Louis, i think he has been pretty much the same player for years, it just so happened that the NHL went towards the up tempo game, so the small speedy guys took advantage. I think Tony has a pretty easy shot to make the NHL, and a decent shot to be a great player.

IMO

Date: March 09, 2007 03:24PM

dre1614

I think he is actually faster than Joe N. and as for St Louis, i think he has been pretty much the same player for years, it just so happened that the NHL went towards the up tempo game, so the small speedy guys took advantage. I think Tony has a pretty easy shot to make the NHL, and a decent shot to be a great player.

IMO

St-Louis broke out well before the New NHL arrived. He scored 33 goals in 02-03 and led the league in scoring and won MVP in 03-04. Those two seasons, there was more clutching and grabbing than any other. St-Louis changed his game by adding more grit and simply battling through the clutching and grabbing of the pre-lockout NHL.

I saw him play with Calgary for a year in 99-00 when he was a 3rd liner and the guy did nothing with the puck. He stayed along the perimeter, took care of things in his own end, and hoped for the best. There are very few small, finesse players who make it in the NHL without having any sandpaper in their game. Look at some of the other small, successful players of the years - Fleury, Sullivan, and even Kariya.

Date: March 09, 2007 03:26PM

The Rancor

i see him as a moulson-esque type in the next few years.

I guess I don't see the comparison. Moulson has vastly superior hockey sense and really relied on his positioning and ability to find the open ice. That was the case even in his first year. Romano is far more skilled than Moulson, and his skating is miles ahead of where Moulson's was even last season, but he doesn't have anywhere near the level of hockey sense IMO.

Date: March 10, 2007 02:08AM

As long as his creativity is stifled under Schafer's direction, he's not going to continue to develop.

I'm sorry, but after tonight's game, I'm starting to believe that what DILLIGAF is saying is true; Romano (among other players) won't be around next year.

Date: March 10, 2007 08:42AM

bandrews37
As long as his creativity is stifled under Schafer's direction, he's not going to continue to develop.

I'm sorry, but after tonight's game, I'm starting to believe that what DILLIGAF is saying is true; Romano (among other players) won't be around next year.

I guess you're going to have to tell me how he was "stifled" last night. He had the puck a lot, made some bad decisions when he couldn't skate the puck into the zone and he skated all the way back into the defensive zone, and he got a lot of time on the PP. He had his offensive chances, what more do you want?rolleyes

Date: March 10, 2007 12:23PM

Tell me where in my post did I say last night he was stifled?

Learn to read....

Date: March 10, 2007 12:48PM

calgARI '07

I guess I don't see the comparison. Moulson has vastly superior hockey sense and really relied on his positioning and ability to find the open ice. That was the case even in his first year. Romano is far more skilled than Moulson, and his skating is miles ahead of where Moulson's was even last season, [b

but he doesn't have anywhere near the level of hockey sense IMO.[/b]

Exactly my point. Ari is absolutely right. He has the hands and he can skate. It is his hockey sense which is his ability and willingness to play without the puck and his ability and willingness to utilize his linemates that is questionable. FWIW, I believe that it is a lack of willingness more than it is ability. I fail to believe that he doens't recognize when he should pass, I believe he just ignores it. That is a huge character issue. It is something that Schafer should have been all over him (and some others) all season. One of the problems with Tony and others is that they are selfish players. That ultimately will be the downfall of this team, this year.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login