Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Fencing

Posted by Weder 
Fencing
Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 09:32AM

I know nothing about fencing but just noticed that the team is 19-0 and ranked No. 9 in the country. Cornell only has women's fencing and NCAA fencing is a coed sport, so does that mean that Cornell's best hopes are to compete for individual national championships but it isn't in the picture in the team competition?

[cornellbigred.com]

Re: Fencing
Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 09:36PM

Weder
I know nothing about fencing but just noticed that the team is 19-0 and ranked No. 9 in the country. Cornell only has women's fencing and NCAA fencing is a coed sport, so does that mean that Cornell's best hopes are to compete for individual national championships but it isn't in the picture in the team competition?

[cornellbigred.com]
No, even though the men and women typically travel together (when a U has both, grumble, grumble), they qualify separately as men's and women's teams, and then individuals can qualify as well.

(I would have been the #1 epee fencer my senior year....had the team not ben cut the summer before).

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 09:59PM

Robb
Weder

[cornellbigred.com]
No, even though the men and women typically travel together (when a U has both, grumble, grumble), they qualify separately as men's and women's teams, and then individuals can qualify as well.

(I would have been the #1 epee fencer my senior year....had the team not ben cut the summer before).

That sucks!

Why did they cut it? I remember when the men's fencing coach was a celebrity on campus.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2022 10:01PM by Swampy.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 10:04PM

Men's fencing and men's gymnastics got the axe after 1992-1993, I believe it was.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 11:21PM

Swampy
Robb
Weder

[cornellbigred.com]

That sucks!

Why did they cut it? I remember when the men's fencing coach was a celebrity on campus.
They could cut men's football and free up resources to fund men's and women's sports in a more balanced way.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2022 06:32AM

Swampy
Robb
Weder

[cornellbigred.com]

That sucks!

Budget. Though IIRC, it got out that the decisions were made at an athletic dept off-site meeting that cost as much as supporting the fencing team for a year. Ick.

They tried to cut men’s and women’s gymnastics and fencing, but the women got together and were putting together a Title IX suit and the university caved and reinstated the women’s teams. Which meant that they still had to maintain a fencing salle and have a full-time coach, so they probably only saved ~20% of what they had planned. Oh, and they added softball at the same time, so in the end, I’m skeptical that the dept budget was actually reduced at all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 06:33AM by Robb.

Date: January 26, 2022 07:47AM

Robb
They tried to cut men’s and women’s gymnastics and fencing, but the women got together and were putting together a Title IX suit and the university caved and reinstated the women’s teams. Which meant that they still had to maintain a fencing salle and have a full-time coach, so they probably only saved ~20% of what they had planned. Oh, and they added softball at the same time, so in the end, I’m skeptical that the dept budget was actually reduced at all.
If you want equal participation between men and women in sports, football throws off the numbers by about 100. Men's fencing and gymnastics may have been sacrificed to get closer to equal, and adding softball offset baseball. Big schools say football brings in lots of money, so please exempt us, but the money argument probably doesn't work in the Ivies. I believe wrestling has been dropped at a lot of schools where it wasn't a priority and it helped parity.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2022 08:56AM

billhoward
I believe wrestling has been dropped at a lot of schools where it wasn't a priority and it helped parity.

At the time that those schools dropped wrestling it was thought that it would help the schools that remained, like Cornell

Date: January 26, 2022 10:22AM

IIRC, a lot of big football schools added women’s rowing in the late 1990s and early 2000s in part because it was a way to even out participation. Some of those schools have since added men’s rowing as well.

Date: January 26, 2022 01:59PM

To even out with football, you'd need eighty-eights with cox.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: January 27, 2022 11:10AM

billhoward
To even out with football, you'd need eighty-eights with cox.
lol. With a boat that big, maybe 5 or 6 coxes!

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 11:13AM

You would never have open water between boats. If you are trailing by a length, you are out of it.

Date: January 27, 2022 01:22PM

Yeesh, this thread is getting so long, maybe it should've been named Fencing 2021-22 and then another next fall. It could also be called Memory Lane.

Date: February 06, 2022 06:35PM

Cornell went 13-0 this weekend, including wins over No. 2 Notre Dame and several other ranked teams, and is 32-0 heading into the Ivy championships. Cornell is ranked No. 4, but Princeton is No. 1 and Columbia is No. 3.

[cornellbigred.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2022 06:36PM by Weder.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2022 09:59PM

Weder
Cornell went 13-0 this weekend, including wins over No. 2 Notre Dame and several other ranked teams, and is 32-0 heading into the Ivy championships. Cornell is ranked No. 4, but Princeton is No. 1 and Columbia is No. 3.

[cornellbigred.com]

This is hardly a fair comparison:
CornellBigRed
That victory, and the two it would add later in the day, surpassed the 1970 unbeaten, untied NCAA championship men's ice hockey team that finished 29-0-0 for the most consecutive wins to begin a season by a Big Red varsity team.

If a team runs the table, it's still doing the best it can. If another sport has more contests, then to my mind it can only match an earlier unbeaten, untied team; it can't outdo the earlier team, simply because it's in a different sport with more contests.

This being said, kudos to the Fencing team -- Good luck at the Ivy's next weekend!

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2022 10:14AM

Yeah this is a very weird comparison and I’m not sure why they’re pushing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login