Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Younger Fiore's IHS Lax Games now being broadcast

Posted by Trigger 
Younger Fiore's IHS Lax Games now being broadcast
Posted by: Trigger (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2011 01:27PM

If you can't get down to Moresco Field at Ithaca High School for the remainder of the lacrosse season, all the games will be broadcast live on 1160espn.com starting with tonight's regular season finale against rival Corning. Tonight is internet only - the rest should be on local radio - 1160am - as well.

Adam Fiore, AJ's younger brother and a Junior at IHS, leads the team with 52 points (34-18) and as of recently, was #4 in Section IV in points per game (3.8). This team is really good, and very under-rated. A legit state contender, despite being unranked right now.

Re: Younger Fiore's IHS Lax Games now being broadcast
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 02:57PM

Trigger
If you can't get down to Moresco Field at Ithaca High School for the remainder of the lacrosse season, all the games will be broadcast live on 1160espn.com starting with tonight's regular season finale against rival Corning. Tonight is internet only - the rest should be on local radio - 1160am - as well.

Adam Fiore, AJ's younger brother and a Junior at IHS, leads the team with 52 points (34-18) and as of recently, was #4 in Section IV in points per game (3.8). This team is really good, and very under-rated. A legit state contender, despite being unranked right now.

Maybe we will have better luck recruiting him than the younger Pannell, who's heading for UVa. (Hopefully we'll be able to watch Rob play his little brother next year, but we have some unfinished business with UVa this year.) starwars

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: May 17, 2011 03:25PM

Swampy
Trigger

Maybe we will have better luck recruiting him than the younger Pannell, who's heading for UVa. (Hopefully we'll be able to watch Rob play his little brother next year, but we have some unfinished business with UVa this year.) starwars

No we won't -- younger Pannell is only a junior.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 08:41PM

scoop85
Swampy
Trigger

Maybe we will have better luck recruiting him than the younger Pannell, who's heading for UVa. (Hopefully we'll be able to watch Rob play his little brother next yearthe year after next, but we have some unfinished business with UVa this year.) starwars

No we won't -- younger Pannell is only a junior.

Sorry, my mistake. I fixed my post. Big deal. I was off by a year!

Since Rob is a Sophomore (search the page for Pannell), the match-up will come the year after next.starwars (This should make Ben happy.)

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2011 09:38PM

Trigger

Team is ranked 7th by laxpower (29th nationally). The weak schedule might kill them come playoff time. They've got 3 D1 seniors and probably another 4-5 among sophomores and juniors (Fiore, Ciferri, Lasda, Mendola, Henderson). Unfortunately, it sounds like Cornell might whiff on all of them -- Fiore the younger might be their best chance.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 01:08AM

Swampy
Since Rob is a Sophomore (search the page for Pannell), the match-up will come the year after next.starwars (This should make Ben happy.)
If only.

Posted by: Redscore (---.axsne.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:04AM

ithacat
Trigger

Team is ranked 7th by laxpower (29th nationally). The weak schedule might kill them come playoff time. They've got 3 D1 seniors and probably another 4-5 among sophomores and juniors (Fiore, Ciferri, Lasda, Mendola, Henderson). Unfortunately, it sounds like Cornell might whiff on all of them -- Fiore the younger might be their best chance.

Why might Cornell whiff on all of them? Don't we at some point in time have to find a way to convert all of this high level of success, not to mention incredible tradition, into some sort of recruiting power?

I think the coaching staff have done an incredible job pulling in that slightly lower ranked recruit and either identifying the gem that others missed, or developing some of those players into stars over four years, but isn't this an incredibly hard way to ensure consistent success at the final four level, which is where we have been for the past few years? It feels like this should work well enough to run a very, maybe even two verys, succesful program, but can it keep us at at the level we have been at recently? It's hard to uncover a Rob Pannell more than once in a decade? lifetime? We may have been great at working on Rob's recruitment but I'm sure we were also really lucky. We have a great team which is clearly more than just Rob Pannell, but its hard to imagine that we would be challenging for the final four spot this weekend without him. How do we get that player at the top 50 level, not neccesarily in the top 5, consistently? I know we got Max, who was a top 5 recruit, but consistently? I'm not saying rankings by Inside Lacrosse, or whoever else, mean a whole lot, but I think there is a good sense for who the blue chips are and we don't seem to be in the running for those players.

Can we hope to convert this tremendous success, thank you to all associated with the program, to recruiting wins as well? Or do people think the way we do it is just fine and can continue to keep us at the elite level? Or should we just expect that we will always be a great program who will occassionaly find itself at the elite level? I'm not complaining at all, just wondering aloud. I'm actually a very happy camper today.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:23AM

Redscore
Why might Cornell whiff on all of them? Don't we at some point in time have to find a way to convert all of this high level of success, not to mention incredible tradition, into some sort of recruiting power?
Who says that it's "whiffing"? Maybe the Cornell staff is recruiting who they think are the best players (and the best fit to scheme), not the guys who the scouting services like the best. To import a hockey joke, the "roll players" we bring in are doing as well as the blue-chippers we're apparently whiffing on.

Also, Ithaca weather sucks and we don't give scholarships.

Date: May 18, 2011 11:33AM

I only used the word whiff because the post I was responding to implied that it was a whiff and I understand the fit versus scouting service hype. It sounds like you are saying - it works as is and we can continue at this level the way we are doing it. I hope so but I can't help feeling that Rob Pannell didn't arrive here because of that approach.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:47AM

Redscore
I hope so but I can't help feeling that Rob Pannell didn't arrive here because of that approach.
You make it sound like changing Cornell's "approach" is an independent variable.

Cornell recruits within the constraints of its Ivy League academic standards, its Ivy League financial aid constraints, its rigorous academic curricula (no communications or sports management programs), and its northern, relative-to-Virginia-and-Carolina-and-Maryland rather harsh climate. I'm sure Cornell coaches don't look upon a top 5 blue chipper and say "to hell with him--that's not our approach--we'd rather find a possible hidden gem in Bangor and hope for the best."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 11:48AM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:50AM

Al DeFlorio
its rigorous academic curricula (no communications... programs)

Um, what?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 18, 2011 11:58AM

I was just wondering if such high level success can result in attracting at least some SU and Virginia level like talent. As you said, we would take them if we could, right? I understand all this "rigorous curricula", "aid-constraint", "scholarship" stuff.
I guess the real answer is, Who in the world would want to come here if they read some of this stuff. My post included.
Boy am I sorry I asked.

Date: May 18, 2011 12:11PM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio

Um, what?
Give me a break, Beeeej. I worked as closely with Geri Gay, now chair of the department, as with anyone at Cornell during my professional career in the 1980s. I mean the kind of communications programs that turn out the Lowell Galindos of the world, not one that looks at communication as a social science.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:19PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio

Um, what?
Give me a break, Beeeej. I worked as closely with Geri Gay, now chair of the department, as with anyone at Cornell during my professional career in the 1980s. I mean the kind of communications programs that turn out the Lowell Galindos of the world, not one that looks at communication as a social science.

And I'm supposed to know that? Give me a break, Al, and say what you mean.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:36PM

If you two find a Puerto Rican you've got a good "walk into a bar" joke.

ugarte
Also, Ithaca weather sucks
Does anybody think this has any effect? We're not competing for hoops players who decide to take their talents to South Beach. These guys are the wrestler from The Breakfast Club. I doubt weather means a thing to them.

I've heard people say Boston has a leg up in hockey recruiting because there's "more to do there" (read: the Bruins and titty bars, not necessarily in that order) and I can see that, but has any teenage boy ever said to himself, "I'd like to go to Cornell to play lax, but Virginia has milder winters"?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 12:38PM by Trotsky.

Date: May 18, 2011 12:48PM

Trotsky

ugarte
Does anybody think this has any effect? We're not competing for hoops players who decide to take their talents to South Beach. These guys are the wrestler from The Breakfast Club. I doubt weather means a thing to them.
This is anecdotal only, but look at what happened to the Syracuse program after opening the Dome in 1980.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 02:09PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:52PM

Trotsky

ugarte

I've heard people say Boston has a leg up in hockey recruiting because there's "more to do there" (read: the Bruins and titty bars, not necessarily in that order) and I can see that, but has any teenage boy ever said to himself, "I'd like to go to Cornell to play lax, but Virginia has milder winters"?
Ithaca weather suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. It isn't so-so. It is awful. It is "All Summer in a Day" for students who don't actually hang around for the summers (which are awesome). Yes, I think it matters.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: May 18, 2011 01:01PM

ugarte
Trotsky

ugarte

Ithaca weather suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. It isn't so-so. It is awful. It is "All Summer in a Day" for students who don't actually hang around for the summers (which are awesome). Yes, I think it matters.

I do, too. I have a friend who's a ranked HS runner in TX and is serious about academics - wants to major in CS. Weather was a VERY big concern for him when deciding where to run. Fortunately, he's made a wise decision and will be on the hill this fall. :)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 01:39PM

ugarte
Trotsky

ugarte

And in this context, we're talking about kids who grew up dealing with that crappy weather and might be ready for a change after their first 18 years. (On top of perhaps wanting to be further removed from watchful parental eyes.)

Date: May 18, 2011 02:12PM

Josh '99
(On top of perhaps wanting to be further removed from watchful parental eyes.)
And don't underestimate this as it might affect Ithaca kids. Growing up in New Haven, I always saw myself going to Yale...until, sometime in the fall of senior year in high school, it dawned on me that this would mean four more years of New Haven and no change of scenery. [And I liked New Haven, but the thought of being somewhere else was just very appealing.]

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 03:31PM

#1160espn Lots of lacrosse talk coming this afternoon at 4 p.m. Patrick Stevens, Washington Times and twitter superstar @d1scourse joins us.
#1160espn Barry Leonard also will be on the show. Topics: Cornell-Virginia, Maryland-Syracuse, and other quarterfinal matchups.

4-5pm
[espn.go.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 04:29PM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio

Um, what?

And I'm supposed to know that? Give me a break, Al, and say what you mean.
Well I certainly understood him. Maybe that's because SU has communications, some good some bad; but mentioning communications in the same breath as sports management was my clue.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 07:53PM

I started wondering what people were saying about Rob Pannell when he arrived. A search turned up this.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 09:09PM

Redscore
ithacat
Trigger

I said whiff because given Cornell's recent success I'd like to think Cornell has an advantage with Ithaca kids. The Lasdas and Ciferri are legacies -- the former seem both set to follow Tambroni to PSU. Can't imagine Mendola not taking advantage of his Harvard legacy as he'd probably be disowned by his family. Henderson seems to have his eyes set on Syracuse or ACC schools. Fiore seems to be the best chance to keep one home.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 09:34PM

David Harding
I started wondering what people were saying about Rob Pannell when he arrived. A search turned up this.

Recently on laxpower forum:

Going into his senior year at Smithtown High School West, Pannell was considered too small and not fast enough to play at top Division I programs. By the fall of that year, he had only received scholarship offers from Towson and Quinnipiac — the latter receiving his commitment to play....

While at Deerfield, Pannell still couldn't get a release from Quinnipiac. This limited his choices to Ivy League schools because they do not participate in the National Letter of Intent program. So Metzger and his former Hofstra teammate, Vinnie Sombrotto, called then-Cornell head coach Jeff Tambroni.
[www.dailyorange.com] ... -1.2144032

Posted by: Swampy (---.memphis.edu)
Date: May 19, 2011 12:48AM

Chris '03
David Harding

Recently on laxpower forum:

Going into his senior year at Smithtown High School West, Pannell was considered too small and not fast enough to play at top Division I programs. By the fall of that year, he had only received scholarship offers from Towson and Quinnipiac — the latter receiving his commitment to play....

While at Deerfield, Pannell still couldn't get a release from Quinnipiac. This limited his choices to Ivy League schools because they do not participate in the National Letter of Intent program. So Metzger and his former Hofstra teammate, Vinnie Sombrotto, called then-Cornell head coach Jeff Tambroni.
[www.dailyorange.com] ... -1.2144032

And Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.

Date: May 19, 2011 01:06AM

Al DeFlorio
Redscore
I hope so but I can't help feeling that Rob Pannell didn't arrive here because of that approach.
You make it sound like changing Cornell's "approach" is an independent variable.

Cornell recruits within the constraints of its Ivy League academic standards, its Ivy League financial aid constraints, its rigorous academic curricula (no communications or sports management programs), and its northern, relative-to-Virginia-and-Carolina-and-Maryland rather harsh climate. I'm sure Cornell coaches don't look upon a top 5 blue chipper and say "to hell with him--that's not our approach--we'd rather find a possible hidden gem in Bangor and hope for the best."

To go a bit further asking about this, SU's roster is filled with kids from New York State. Many are from central New York. Obviously, top-shelf players. While they may play in a dome, they live in weather that sucks almost as much as Ithaca's.

Back in my day, New York State Regents scholarships could pay over 90% of tuition in an endowed college at Cornell. Today they're down to about $2K per year. Substantial, but nothing to write home about. Talent-wise, Baltimore, Long Island, and Central New York are to lacrosse recruiting as Boston and Minneapolis are to hockey.

Lacrosse also is not football or basketball. The Ivy League is arguably the second strongest conference in lacrosse. Two of the ACC schools are "Public Ivies," and Duke and JHU are not academic lightweights either. Nobody's getting rich playing professional lacrosse either, so academics might actually be a positive.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:50PM

Good article on Pannell in the Smithtown Patch. One of the quotes I like the best is
Rob Pannell
[being named a Tewaaraton finalist for the second year in a row] is tremendous honor. But I wouldn’t be in that position if I did not have the team I have behind me. It really is a compliment to my team and my coaches, and how they have helped me out.
Anyone who has watched his development over the past three years would have to agree. In making their college choice, I hope potential recruits pay attention to this more than to Ithaca weather.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 12:02PM

Much as you love your family, you might want to be somewhere else for college? You can get a good education and play high-level lacrosse at Princeton or Virginia or Duke. Even Harvard's looking respectable.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 01:12PM

billhoward
Even Harvard's looking respectable.
Surely you jest, even they were good a lax respectability is something quite different.

Let's see how they play with legal sticks.

Harvard Sucks!

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2011 07:17PM

Sort of back to the original topic, Ithaca High School (with Adam Fiore) defeated West Genessee HS in their State tournament game this afternoon 15-10. IHS moves on to play the winner of Section 5 (Rochester area) vs Section 6 (Buffalo area) next week.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2011 07:11PM

IHS defeated Pittsford HS this afternoon 6-5 in double overtime to advance to the State Championship game on Saturday at 11 at Cicero North Syracuse HS. IHS will play Farmingdale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 07:11PM by peterg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login