Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell mentioned in NYTimes Title IX article 4/25/11

Posted by nyc94 
Cornell mentioned in NYTimes Title IX article 4/25/11
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 09:33AM

Article is about schools padding their number of female athletes.

At Cornell, men who practice with the women's fencers count as female athletes under Title IX.

Cornell included 19 men among the women’s fencing, volleyball and basketball teams in the 2009-10 numbers reported to Bergeron’s office. Yet Cornell counted the five female coxswains for the men’s rowing team as female athletes.

Cornell and Texas A&M officials said they were simply following the rules, odd as they are. “We count who we’re supposed to count,” J. Andrew Noel Jr., Cornell’s athletic director, said.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: Cornell mentioned in NYTimes Title IX article 4/25/11
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 10:58AM

Rather BS article considering how the authors never cited the total numbers at any of the universities they were raking over the coals. I may not particularly like J. Andrew, but I think he runs a pretty tight ship. I'd hazard a guess that our athletic program is rather close to being in compliance.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: April 26, 2011 11:00AM

Scersk '97
Rather BS article considering how the authors never cited the total numbers at any of the universities they were raking over the coals. I may not particularly like J. Andrew, but I think he runs a pretty tight ship. I'd hazard a guess that our athletic program is rather close to being in compliance.
We'd better be, considering that we men's fencers fell on our swords (no pun intended) over title IX back in '93... Grumble, grumble...

Posted by: Redscore (---.axsne.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 12:28PM

Without making any comment about the law itself and whether I think it is good or bad....
Laws that manipulate human behaviour in unnatural or uneconomic ways, always result in creative attempts to avoid them. Sometimes ridiculously creative attempts.
That just goes with the territory and is not at all surprising as a response. So then you need other laws to plug the creative loopholes and it goes on and on until we all drown.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 12:35PM

Redscore
Without making any comment about the law itself and whether I think it is good or bad....
Laws that manipulate human behaviour in unnatural or uneconomic ways, always result in creative attempts to avoid them. Sometimes ridiculously creative attempts.
That just goes with the territory and is not at all surprising as a response. So then you need other laws to plug the creative loopholes and it goes on and on until we all drown.

Yeah! Just look at civil rights and how people found ways around the Constitution for over a hundred years after the Emancipation Proclamations! Fools might think that legislating equality before the law would work, but of course people will always find ways around such unnatural laws. That's why we'll never have a black President.

Posted by: Redscore (---.axsne.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 01:38PM

Legislating equality before the law is the right thing to do whether people try to get around it or not. Besides anyone with any economic sense knows that if you take 50% (female) or 12.5% (African Americans), or whatever percent of your population and exclude them from opportunitees, you simply throw away a huge piece of your valuable human resources and screw yourself. How many Einsteins etc. do you lose by never letting them see the light of day?
Swampy, I couldn't tell if you were coming or going, turning right or left, but if you were being a wise guy, screw you. If you were not, I apologize.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 08:04PM

Redscore
Legislating equality before the law is the right thing to do whether people try to get around it or not. Besides anyone with any economic sense knows that if you take 50% (female) or 12.5% (African Americans), or whatever percent of your population and exclude them from opportunitees, you simply throw away a huge piece of your valuable human resources and screw yourself. How many Einsteins etc. do you lose by never letting them see the light of day?
Swampy, I couldn't tell if you were coming or going, turning right or left, but if you were being a wise guy, screw you. If you were not, I apologize.

Does sarcasm make me a wise guy?

I thought the part about never having a black President was a dead giveaway. Jeeesh!

Redscore, after writing the above I noticed that you wrote the original note about people getting around certain kinds of laws. So I want to elaborate on the point I tried to make with sarcasm.

The point is that, while racism is not gone by a long shot, people have in fact changed their behaviors and beliefs thanks to a long process of struggle and laws aimed at changing undesirable behaviors. My bigger point is that it is just wrong (and bad science) to think that human nature is some kind of fixed, pervasive thing that precludes the possibility of changing beliefs and practices in some intentional ways. Not everything can be changed, but a whole lot can.

As for the economic argument that resources are wasted when people are kept down, I agree with you. The same can be said about a system that regularly goes into recession or depression. Currently, for every job looking to hire someone, there are five people looking for work. Irrationality in itself is not sufficient to call into being legislation that would be an effective remedy. In part, this is because we may not know what an effective remedy is, and in part it's because legislative bodies rarely have the political will to make substantial change. So don't look for full-employment legislation anytime soon.

Then again, there's the Gary Becker kind of argument: people gain satisfaction by discriminating, so non-discrimination cannot be Pareto optimal. "Rational" discrimination would have the satisfied discriminators make side payments to compensate for the
losses due to discrimination.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 11:16PM by Swampy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login