Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

March Madness

Posted by Trotsky 
March Madness
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 04:28PM

Princeton up on Kentucky 42-37 in the second half. It wouldn't exactly be payback, but I'd like it.

Re: March Madness
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 04:47PM

Kind of nice if another 13-seed from the Ivies does well. That 14-4 (so far) Kentucky run doesn't bode well for the Tigers.

Trying to follow the Kentucky players using last year's Cornell-Syracuse program. Not much help.

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 05:05PM

Bummer. Princeton is going to have to wait 4-5 years to get that NC$$ tourney victory over Kentucky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 05:07PM

Final 59-57 favor of the cheaters. barf

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 05:17PM

Rita
Bummer. Princeton is going to have to wait 4-5 years to get that NC$$ tourney victory over Kentucky.

Rita,

You like to repeatedly make this joke re: Kentucky, but you do realize that neither Cornell nor Princeton get wins if Kentucky is forced to vacate wins down the road? Vacate =! forfeit.

Too bad for Princeton. Terrible job to not even get the shot off in time.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 01, 2011 11:15AM

And it looks like Princeton is about to lose their coach to Fairfield. Only thought he would leave for a big 6 conf job considering how much he loved the school and was crying in the post game press conf about how proud he was of the team. Then again cant really blame him, Fairfield had a decent team this year, has better facilities, and will probably double his salary

Posted by: mountainred (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 02:02PM

I'm stunned that SJ would jump to Fairfield, I figured he would wait for a Big 6 job too.

Date: April 01, 2011 10:33PM

mountainred
I'm stunned that SJ would jump to Fairfield, I figured he would wait for a Big 6 job too.
We can be prouder of where we lost our guy to.

Date: April 01, 2011 11:10PM

I guess, I just hope Donahue has enough success to stay there for awhile

Date: April 01, 2011 11:15PM

phillysportsfan
I guess, I just hope Donahue has enough success to stay there for awhile
Right. Fairfield seems like a steppingstone coaching job.

Date: April 01, 2011 11:44PM

Date: April 02, 2011 02:34AM

[msn.foxsports.com]

But forgotten in Calipari’s quick turnaround of Kentucky is a native of this bustling metroplex who was instrumental in the Wildcats’ resurrection: Bilal Batley.

Batley abruptly resigned as assistant director of basketball operations/manager after he violated NCAA rules by rebounding for a player during a workout in July 2009. Kentucky self-reported the secondary violation and sent Batley a letter of admonishment.

Batley’s job did not allow him to have on-court interaction with players. When he resigned, a team spokesman said he did so to return home because of an illness in his family.

But a nearly two-year FOXSports.com investigation revealed that Batley also broke NCAA rules by making repeated impermissible telephone calls while at both Memphis and Kentucky to recruits such as DeMarcus Cousins and their parents.

When approached by a FOXSports.com reporter after his news conference on Friday, Calipari refused to address any questions concerning whether he was aware of Batley's calls and whether or not Kentucky self-reported the violations.

NCAA rules state that all telephone calls made to or received from a recruit, his parents, legal guardians or coaches must be made and received by a team’s head coach or three countable assistant coaches.

According to Memphis and Kentucky, Batley was not a countable coach at either school. NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson declined comment to FOXSports.com on the alleged violations.

But Cousins, a Sacramento Kings rookie forward who played for Kentucky as a freshman last season and then left for the NBA draft, said Batley played a “big role” in him committing first to Memphis. He then followed Calipari to Kentucky shortly after the coach’s hiring in April 2009.

Ironically a foxsports.com investigation revealed today that a former UK assistant made improper phone calls when recruiting Cousins which is against the rules because only the 3 assistants and the head coach can make phone calls. Hard to root for either of the cheaters tomorrow Calhoun and Calimari, I just hope Butler or VCU wins it all

Date: April 02, 2011 07:12AM

The new Wall Street Journal is trying very hard to be a relevant national newspaper with some sports coverage and this is one of their better efforts. It points out that while this final four is great for discussions, it's not going to be very good basketball Monday night. It could but the odds of such poorly ranked teams taking down UConn or Kentucky are improbable.

Even with Butler and VCU not going down in the round of 16, you know there'll be clamoring for even more teams and soon we'll have a field of 128, which increases the odds the favorites will slip somewhere unless say the top 32 (gag) or 16 get the first game off. The NCAA would love a six game tournament for everyone. I suppose at most schools it won't hurt the academics. Kentucky players will be one and done regardless and Princeton players will still wind up on Wall Street.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2011 12:16PM

billhoward
Princeton players will still wind up on Wall Street.
Working for the Journal.

See what I did there?

Date: April 02, 2011 01:08PM

I wouldnt assume that UK, UConn are automatically going to destroy Butler/VCU. VCU dominated Kansas for most of the game and has been on quite the roll beating all their opponents by double digits except FSU who was a tough matchup given their good defense against 3pt shooting. The only thing I worry about VCU is that their hot 3pt shooting falls back to what it was during the regular season or that they get distracted by all of the hype they got this week. Everyone has been picking against VCU and they just keep winning, keep doubting them and they will end up winning it all. And Butler just finds a way to win whether it is a tip in at the buzzer against ODU, a fluke foul against Pitt, or coming back from 11 in the 2nd half against Florida.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2011 01:36PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: April 02, 2011 07:32PM

Damon Runyon
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”

Date: April 04, 2011 05:30PM

And Princeton's coach Sydney Johnson is off to Fairfield, amazing considering he went there, was a senior captain, etc. Meanwhile VCU's coach stays off after getting a raise from $325K to $1.2 million a year. If the league doesnt want to pay coaches this will continue to happen, all about money

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 05:45PM

phillysportsfan
And Princeton's coach Sydney Johnson is off to Fairfield, amazing considering he went there, was a senior captain, etc. Meanwhile VCU's coach stays off after getting a raise from $325K to $1.2 million a year. If the league doesnt want to pay coaches this will continue to happen, all about money
As has been stated, it's the purpose of the NCAA to use students to enrich the pay of coaches and others.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 04, 2011 07:51PM

phillysportsfan
For what it's worth, the Cornell Basketball Blog guys seem to think it's also because he didn't feel that Princeton would be able to stay competitive given Harvard's reduced academic standards. Still a bit weird for the guy who cried after his team's tourney exit a few weeks ago.

Date: April 04, 2011 08:25PM

Unless he was crying because he knew he would leave

Posted by: billhoward (---.i95.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:10PM

First half of Butler-UConn, I agreed with the Butler coach: awesome defensive battle. Kind of like what TimV was saying about Notre Dame-Duke title lax game last year. The second half showed what happens when it strikes midnight and Cinderalla's party ends. It was so bad it was almost worth watching to see how long Butler (18% shooting) could go without a hoop. It would have been amazing had Butler won - college version of Hoosiers.

I wish VCU hadn't gone so far. NCAA gets ammo for expanding to 96 (do we hear 128?). The more games, the more chances a nobody will beat a somebody, and then the nobodies can say, "See, anything is possible." I could see 96 teams and 33-96 play to make it a seven game series with the first 32 getting byes. That would protect the Kentuckies of the world.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:59PM

Why not maximize the excitement? Invite all 346 teams to the dance! Nine rounds, 166 byes in the first round!! More games, more upsets, more thrills!!! Joining the Sweet Sixteen are the Spectacular Sixty Four and the Wonderful One Hundred Twenty Eight!!!! :-|

Date: April 05, 2011 06:28PM

96 would ruin the tournament, the whole Big Least would make it along with most of the other BCS teams, the regular season would be absolutely meaningless for those BCS teams

Posted by: billhoward (---.i95.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:03PM

KeithK
Why not maximize the excitement? Invite all 346 teams to the dance! Nine rounds, 166 byes in the first round!! More games, more upsets, more thrills!!! Joining the Sweet Sixteen are the Spectacular Sixty Four and the Wonderful One Hundred Twenty Eight!!!! :-|
Good thing there's no reasonable number of tournament teams doesn't start with F.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 11:12PM

KeithK
Yes yes yes, we all know how you feel about at-large tournament bids by now. :-}

Date: April 06, 2011 07:54AM

billhoward
KeithK
Good thing there's no reasonable number of tournament teams doesn't start with F.

Foolish? Far-fetched? dribble

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:04AM

phillysportsfan
96 would ruin the tournament, the whole Big Least would make it along with most of the other BCS teams, the regular season would be absolutely meaningless for those BCS teams
Require at least .500 in conference play for an at large -- problem solved.

Date: April 11, 2011 04:30PM

phillysportsfan

Another "love of the school v. love of money" situation arising:
Amaker to Miami (FL)?

Date: April 11, 2011 04:40PM

I would say Amaker leaving would be even more surprising, there have been a few articles how he has weekly lunches with professors and his wife has a job there, they really seem to like Harvard. Plus he has a great recruiting class coming in this year and should win the league this year. He has Ballmer throwing tons of money at Harvard and they are building a new arena soon. He sounds like he wants to make Harvard, the Butler of the East, would be very surprising to see him leave

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 05:12PM

phillysportsfan
I would say Amaker leaving would be even more surprising, there have been a few articles how he has weekly lunches with professors and his wife has a job there, they really seem to like Harvard. Plus he has a great recruiting class coming in this year and should win the league this year. He has Ballmer throwing tons of money at Harvard and they are building a new arena soon. He sounds like he wants to make Harvard, the Butler of the East, would be very surprising to see him leave
I respect him so much, that I'd love to see him back in the big time. And of course, fall flat on his face again. Unfortunately I'm afraid he learned too much from his mistakes, and he won't take that chance again.

Date: April 12, 2011 08:12AM

Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
I respect him so much, that I'd love to see him back in the big time. And of course, fall flat on his face again. Unfortunately I'm afraid he learned too much from his mistakes, and he won't take that chance again.

It's such a good fit. A cheating coach at a cheating school. They're made for each other.

Date: April 12, 2011 10:00AM

phillysportsfan
What other inducement, then, could Miami offer to Harvard's coach?

I'm trying to recall the history of Miami president Donna E. Shalala. Does she have an uneasy relationship with athletics departments and have doubts about their place in high-end colleges? She's been on the job for 10 years and these have not been the greatest for the Miami football team. OTOH it is no longer the team that Sports Illustrated described as the one that gets its team picture shot "from the front and both sides."

Miami would be a more likely steppingstone back to Duke.

Date: April 12, 2011 01:20PM

billhoward
phillysportsfan

I'm trying to recall the history of Miami president Donna E. Shalala. Does she have an uneasy relationship with athletics departments and have doubts about their place in high-end colleges? She's been on the job for 10 years and these have not been the greatest for the Miami football team. OTOH it is no longer the team that Sports Illustrated described as the one that gets its team picture shot "from the front and both sides."

FWIW, the Univ. of Miami now has an AD.

"Shawn M. Eichorst has been hired as the new director of athletics.
Since 2009, Eichorst has served as deputy athletic director at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where his responsibilities under Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 02:56PM by Rita.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 02:54PM

Rita
billhoward
phillysportsfan

FWIW, the Univ. of Miami now as an AD.

"Shawn M. Eichorst has been hired as the new director of athletics.
Since 2009, Eichorst has served as deputy athletic director at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where his responsibilities under Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez."
From what I recall, Shalala had a great relationship with Alvarez and was there as he built the Badgers into a regular Rose Bowl participant. I wouldn't be surprised if Alvarez's recommendation was what got Eichorst the job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 02:56PM by ugarte.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:38PM

billhoward
phillysportsfan

Love of Harvard wins this round.
Amaker to stay in Cambridge.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:45PM

Rita
billhoward
phillysportsfan

Love of Harvard wins this round.
Amaker to stay in Cambridge.

"Two postseason appearances." In what a good friend of mine calls the National Losers Tournament.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:15PM

Ballmer must have given him another raise

Date: April 22, 2011 04:10PM

[georgemasonbasketball.blogspot.com]
Uh oh, Larranaga goes for the money grab at Miami and now Courtney is probably a candidate for the Mason job. He clearly is still interested in the school as he paid his way to see them in the tournament this year. I can only hope Mason doesnt hire him because him leaving after one year would really hurt the program, especially this late in the year

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: April 22, 2011 04:54PM

phillysportsfan
[georgemasonbasketball.blogspot.com]
Uh oh, Larranaga goes for the money grab at Miami and now Courtney is probably a candidate for the Mason job. He clearly is still interested in the school as he paid his way to see them in the tournament this year. I can only hope Mason doesnt hire him because him leaving after one year would really hurt the program, especially this late in the year

If that were to occur, any chance that Zach Spiker becomes a leading candidate?

Date: April 22, 2011 05:06PM

I doubt it, they said he wasnt a candidate last year because he was only at Army one year and Cornell wouldnt have paid his buyout, dont think another year changes that situation at all

Date: April 25, 2011 04:51PM

Just spoke to Bill Courtney. He said he is not involved with the George Mason job. BC: "No, I've not been contacted by anybody at George Mason. ... I love my job here at Cornell, I'm looking forward to coaching the team next year. My (Cornell) players haven't asked me about it and I haven't really addressed it with them. I think they're excited about next year and so am I."

good news
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 04:53PM by phillysportsfan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login