Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Harvard lacrosse

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell-Harvard lacrosse
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-193-55.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 01:20PM

Cornell lacrosse plays at Harvard this week. Please let this not be the weekend of the unexpected mid-season slump vs. a team Cornell should beat. Cornell should win out the rest of the RS, give or take Syracuse. We were hurt by soft performances in the second half vs. Army, a game we should have won, and vs. Virginia, a team we might have beaten. Other than that, we'd be 9-0. Still, a very impressive season so far. Nice that the game's on CBS College Sports. 2:10 pm faceoff.

Re: Cornell-Harvard lacrosse - Atlanta Viewing Party
Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: April 08, 2011 01:49PM

Join the Cornell Atlanta Alumni Association as we watch the #6 ranked Cornell men’s lacrosse team play at Harvard on Saturday afternoon, April 9 at 2:00 PM.

Cornell Lacrosse vs Harvard
Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The Famous Pub
Toco Hills Shopping Center
2947 North Druid Hills Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 633-1425
www.famouspubsports.com
Note: The Famous Pub is now a NON-SMOKING facility, and family friendly, until 10 PM.

No event fee or cover. Everyone pays for their own food and beverage. Wear your RED!

Re: Cornell-Harvard lacrosse
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 03:56PM

billhoward
Cornell lacrosse plays at Harvard this week. Please let this not be the weekend of the unexpected mid-season slump vs. a team Cornell should beat. Cornell should win out the rest of the RS, give or take Syracuse. We were hurt by soft performances in the second half vs. Army, a game we should have won, and vs. Virginia, a team we might have beaten. Other than that, we'd be 9-0. Still, a very impressive season so far. Nice that the game's on CBS College Sports. 2:10 pm faceoff.

While you're right we didn't do well in the 2nd half at Army, as I recall both Mock and Lau did not play. I don't think the first half would have been as close, or their goalie would have looked as good with both of them playing.

I was hoping to get up to Boston for the game, but I won't be able to now. Looks like I'll have to settle for TV.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 04:18PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

While you're right we didn't do well in the 2nd half at Army, as I recall both Mock and Lau did not play.
Perhps even more importantly, Max Feely didn't play in the Army game, either.

Date: April 08, 2011 04:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

While you're right we didn't do well in the 2nd half at Army, as I recall both Mock and Lau did not play.

Good point. I forgot that. And of course, the "smoke filled room" probably won't consider any of it during seedings.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 11:34PM

A loss would be very unexpected and a large step back for this year's program. Also, friendly reminder, tomorrow's game will be on CBS College Sports at 2 PM.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.msp.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 03:24AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

Good point. I forgot that. And of course, the "smoke filled room" probably won't consider any of it during seedings.
In fairness to smoke-filled rooms (which I don't often defend), they're infinitely more likely to consider it than PWR would be.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 06:46AM

semsox
A loss would be very unexpected and a large step back for this year's program. Also, friendly reminder, tomorrow's game will be on CBS College Sports at 2 PM.
Perhaps, but Harvard is 5-0 at home with wins over Georgetown and UMass.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:17PM

Cornell wins in a close game 13-12.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:18PM

Monster game from Lau to make up for Pannell being locked up all game. Nice comeback win.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:27PM

A bit surprised Fiore got benched after the ninth Harvard goal, but West did a solid job filling in. Lau was great, he made up for the atrocious commentary.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 04:33PM

LaxPower reports Brown 13, Penn 12 and Yale 9, Dartmouth 7 (both final). I believe Cornell has thus clinched a share of the regular season title, and need only win one of the remaining two league games to bring the Ivy League tournament to Ithaca.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 06:45PM

kingpin248
LaxPower reports Brown 13, Penn 12 and Yale 9, Dartmouth 7 (both final). I believe Cornell has thus clinched a share of the regular season title, and need only win one of the remaining two league games to bring the Ivy League tournament to Ithaca.
Correct!

Date: April 09, 2011 06:48PM

Ben
A bit surprised Fiore got benched after the ninth Harvard goal, but West did a solid job filling in. Lau was great, he made up for the atrocious commentary.
I looked at as just like changing goalies to shake up the team, not as bad performance by Fiore. If they print the press conference we'll find out, or Monday's IJ.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 07:28PM

We were uncharacteristically poor on ground balls, although we held our own on faceoffs. Pannell really looked to be pressing, but Lau played a phenomenal game. Great and gutsy move to replace Fiore when he and the team were struggling. West did a solid job, and the team responded around him. One real problem seems to be with our the ssdm's; Harvard had their way with them.

Can't forget to mention the great game by Max Feely, not the least of which was his great interception of the pass to help preserve the lead. Harvard must be beside themselves with a third straight 13-12 loss to Cornell. Harvard has some great talent, and we were fortunate to escape with the W.

Real gut-check type of victory, with a great test coming up in the Dome on Tuesday.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 10:50PM

And based on Princeton's narrow loss, 7-5, to Syracuse, our final game, against the Tigers, is no sure win either. Unless the Syracuse game was an off day for the Orange, Princeton appears to finally have its act together.

What a great play by Feely to effectively end the game. We could have used an interception like that Memorial Day 2009.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2011 12:12AM

billhoward
And based on Princeton's narrow loss, 7-5, to Syracuse, our final game, against the Tigers, is no sure win either. Unless the Syracuse game was an off day for the Orange, Princeton appears to finally have its act together.
Hopefully that off-day will carry over through Tuesday.

I was hoping to get to the Carrier Dome to see us face Syracuse, but Cornell Abroad foiled those plans. Anybody traveling up for the game?

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: April 10, 2011 02:07AM

De Luca says he felt Fiore was in a "funk."
[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 07:58AM

Weder
Journal story sounds if if the Crimson could flip a switch and turn off Pannell's scoring abilities. This in the Sun, we'd be making fun of the odd choice of words in the lede graf.

>>> CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Harvard opted to shut off Rob Pannell for long stretches of Saturday's Ivy League men's lacrosse game, essentially forcing Cornell's other players to beat the Crimson.

Date: April 10, 2011 12:53PM

billhoward
Weder
Journal story sounds if if the Crimson could flip a switch and turn off Pannell's scoring abilities. This in the Sun, we'd be making fun of the odd choice of words in the lede graf.

>>> CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Harvard opted to shut off Rob Pannell for long stretches of Saturday's Ivy League men's lacrosse game, essentially forcing Cornell's other players to beat the Crimson.
I think the point is you can shut down any one person with a covering defense, but then you open up other players. That happens all the time in sports.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 08:52AM

kingpin248
LaxPower reports Brown 13, Penn 12 and Yale 9, Dartmouth 7 (both final). I believe Cornell has thus clinched a share of the regular season Ivy title, and need only win one of the remaining two league games to bring the Ivy League NCAA bid tournament to Ithaca.

FYP.

Date: April 11, 2011 08:53AM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

In fairness to smoke-filled rooms (which I don't often defend), they're infinitely more likely to consider it than PWR would be.

But only if the team being considered comes from south of the Mason-Dixon line or wears orange.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:47AM

Chris '03
kingpin248
LaxPower reports Brown 13, Penn 12 and Yale 9, Dartmouth 7 (both final). I believe Cornell has thus clinched a share of the regular season Ivy title, and need only win one of the remaining two league games to bring the Ivy League NCAA bid tournament to Ithaca.

FYP.
I thought that's how I remembered it but I didn't want to ask.

Date: April 11, 2011 11:57AM

Chris '03
kingpin248

FYP.

I think kingpin248 had it right. The regular season winner gets to host the Ivy Tournament, but the tournament winner gets the NCAA autobid.

Date: April 11, 2011 12:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Chris '03
kingpin248

FYP.

I think kingpin248 had it right. The regular season winner gets to host the Ivy Tournament, but the tournament winner gets the NCAA autobid.

The round robin determines the Ivy League Championship. The tournament determines the NCAA bid. If Cornell goes 6-0, it is the Ivy Champ, alone, regardless of the outcome of the tournament. We're both "right". I was just underscoring the fact that the tourney has nothing to do with the championship.

Date: April 11, 2011 03:45PM

Chris '03
Jeff Hopkins '82
Chris '03
kingpin248

FYP.

Gotcha.

The round robin determines the Ivy League Championship. The tournament determines the NCAA bid. If Cornell goes 6-0, it is the Ivy Champ, alone, regardless of the outcome of the tournament. We're both "right". I was just underscoring the fact that the tourney has nothing to do with the championship.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 03:55PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Chris '03
kingpin248

FYP.

I heard that if Cornell wins tomorrow night, it gets an autobid. innocent

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 12:02AM

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:44AM

You' re right. But without the Ivy Tournament Championship, it would be called an " At-Large Bid."banana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login