Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Dartmouth lax

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Cornell vs. Dartmouth lax
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2011 03:24PM

2-1 Cornell after one period on a Pannell last-second goal. Sluggish period for the Red. Middies turned it over on first four possessions. Dartmouth zone making it difficult to pass it inside. Dartmouth taking many outside shots off cage but backing them up, thereby controlling possession. Shots 13-5 Dartmouth after one.

Re: Cornell vs. Dartmouth lax
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2011 03:32PM

Ah, I guess we'll use this thread ... now 5-1 Cornell after Lang gets his second, following one by Langton. Great to see the Middies putting up the points.

Fiore looks good so far. Hope he keeps it up throughout.

Date: April 02, 2011 04:02PM

11-3 at the half. Pannell his usual incredible self, middies doing their part, Fiore with some decent saves. Only negative is that when we're getting beaten on FO's, Dartmouth is getting clean fast breaks. Question now is, can we avoid the 2nd half swoon?

Date: April 02, 2011 04:02PM

Use either thread.

Dan Freshman's blog on Inside Lacrosse says DeLuca has put Bremner in at attack and moved Lau back to first midfield. Mike O'Neil running on 2nd midfield since that move.

Date: April 02, 2011 04:03PM

Albany back ahead of Harvard 12-11 late 4th.

Date: April 02, 2011 04:26PM

A little let down at the end of the 3rd, and Fiore gives up a few long shots. 14-6 after 3.

Lax vs. Dartmouth
Date: April 02, 2011 03:24PM

2-1 Cornell after one, as Pannell scores on a long shot with 0:01 left. Not a very good quarter, however, as a lot of sloppy play by the Red. Dartmouth looks sound, and it should be a tight one throughout.

Re: Lax vs. Dartmouth
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2011 03:30PM

Dartmouth is shooting a lot, but not on goal. Like our hockey team. 14 shots, 1 goal 3 saves in the 1st Q. We're actually dominating 6 on 6 play to take a 4-1 lead.

Re: Lax vs. Dartmouth
Date: April 02, 2011 03:32PM

Army's loss to Colgate today will hurt Cornell's resume.

Date: April 02, 2011 04:48PM

At 19-7 it might be time...or maybe even past time...to call off the dogs.

Date: April 02, 2011 04:54PM

19-8 final. Solid game overall, as we did not have a huge 2nd half let down. Tesorioro did a fine job with faceoffs, and gives us another solid option. Pannell looked unaffected by the shoulder injury. Much better job by the defense than the second half effort against Penn.

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2011 08:38AM

4 goals and 5 assists for Rob Pannell. A true pleasure to watch.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2011 08:41AM

CAS

I actually like watching his assists more than is goals. He has a real knack for finding the open man. Of course it helps that the open man is getting open. It sure is pretty to watch.

Date: April 03, 2011 10:56AM

CAS

So the inevitable question for the older timers: where does Pannell rank among the Cornell greats (McEneaney, French, Goldstein)? Of those three I only saw Goldstein, and while my memory is a bit foggy, I see a lot of similarity between those two. Both great feeders, with Pannell perhaps a better goal scorer.

Date: April 03, 2011 11:52AM

I saw McEneaney and French but it was a long time ago. I seem to recall more feeds from behind the cage at the time and more of a transition game. But, it was the 70's and like the 60's if you really remember them you were not there.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2011 01:04PM

Quite enjoyable for the first time I've seen lacrosse live. It looked to me like Pannell's goal at the end of the first quarter was a big turning point -- Dartmouth had us pinned back for much of the opening fifteen minutes but we were far stronger after that.

I'm not sure why people were comparing lacrosse to soccer in the other thread, it is far harder to retain possession (and there is a lot less scoring) in soccer.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 03, 2011 01:24PM

Ben
Quite enjoyable for the first time I've seen lacrosse live. It looked to me like Pannell's goal at the end of the first quarter was a big turning point -- Dartmouth had us pinned back for much of the opening fifteen minutes but we were far stronger after that.

I'm not sure why people were comparing lacrosse to soccer in the other thread, it is far harder to retain possession (and there is a lot less scoring) in soccer.
Since I was one of those, I'll respond. I was saying they needed to do something to speed up the game. Some, but certainly not all games (It certainly does not apply to this Dartmouth game.), have turned into slow, hold the ball, don't try to score, low scoring games. For at least the last 10 years they have been changing the rules, mainly about advancing the ball, to try and keep most of the games like the one you saw. Although they may have helped, it's still possible for teams to play keep away defense and slow it way down. Then you get boring, low scoring games. It's much like the 4 corner basketball offense. Like basketball, a shot clock may be the only way around that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 12:12AM

Ben

Fewer dives in lacrosse. Maybe that comes over time, like when South America or Europe picks up the sport. (Note recent SI poll on the NBA's diving-est players and the footnote that most of them started out playing ball outside the US.)

Date: April 04, 2011 07:37AM

billhoward
Ben

Fewer dives in lacrosse. Maybe that comes over time, like when South America or Europe picks up the sport. (Note recent SI poll on the NBA's diving-est players and the footnote that most of them started out playing ball outside the US.)
Clear indication of the superiority of the European medical system. How many times have we seen players go down with a broken knee, tibia, concussion, hangnail or enui only to make a miraculous recovery. Absolutely amazing, and boring.

Posted by: billhoward (---.i95.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:04PM

Towerroad
billhoward
Ben

Clear indication of the superiority of the European medical system. How many times have we seen players go down with a broken knee, tibia, concussion, hangnail or enui only to make a miraculous recovery. Absolutely amazing, and boring.
Curative power of blood doping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login