Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Yankee Stadium mystery solved?

Posted by DeltaOne81 
New Yankee Stadium mystery solved?
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 07:23PM

AccuWeather (I guess because of the reports of 'wind tunnels') confirmed previous evidence that the dimensions are smaller (and points out the fence is shorter to boot).
[www.nypost.com]

With a nice graphical representation someone did a month and a half ago:
[mapscroll.blogspot.com]

Re: New Yankee Stadium mystery solved?
Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: June 10, 2009 07:55AM

DeltaOne81
AccuWeather (I guess because of the reports of 'wind tunnels') confirmed previous evidence that the dimensions are smaller (and points out the fence is shorter to boot).
Actually, they blame it exclusively on the smaller dimensions.

AccuWeather says, "no consistent pattern [has been] observed in the wind speed and direction that would lead to an increase in home runs so far this year."

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:20PM

They should have gone back to the original dimensons: 461 to dead-center, 457 to the power alley in left-center. Now those took some serious shots to get out. And what the hell, put the monuments back on the field for a little extra excitement.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 01:13PM

KenP
DeltaOne81
Actually, they blame it exclusively on the smaller dimensions.

AccuWeather says, "no consistent pattern [has been] observed in the wind speed and direction that would lead to an increase in home runs so far this year."

I don't see how that disagrees with what I said. I just was guessing that AccuWeather got involved in the first place because of the 'wind tunnel' theory. Which they then debunked. Perhaps I mangled my point :)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 07:47PM

Killer
They should have gone back to the original dimensons: 461 to dead-center, 457 to the power alley in left-center. Now those took some serious shots to get out. And what the hell, put the monuments back on the field for a little extra excitement.
Amen!

It'snot like it wasn't easy to hit the ball out in the old days if you pulled the ball. It was less than '300 to both poles.

Date: June 11, 2009 12:58PM

KeithK
Killer
Amen!

It's not like it wasn't easy to hit the ball out in the old days if you pulled the ball. It was less than '300 to both poles.

That's right. I seem to recall it was something like 298 down the right field line. And the "pennant porch" in right wasn't a whole lot farther for a good ways. That's why everyone used to speculate about how many more HRs Joe D and Ted Williams would have each hit if they'd been traded for one another. But wouldn't you know it that the one time I was there as a kid, sitting in the lower right field stands when both Mantle and Maris homered, both shots went into the upper deck over our heads.

One of the coolest memories I have of those days was that you could actually walk out on the field after the game (though they wouldn't let you onto the infield) and wander around. There was no Monument Park, you just walked up to the monuments out in center. That was back in '60, '61. Was that common practice at all the parks 40+ years ago?

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:39PM

Killer
KeithK
It's not like it wasn't easy to hit the ball out in the old days if you pulled the ball. It was less than '300 to both poles.

That's right. I seem to recall it was something like 298 down the right field line. And the "pennant porch" in right wasn't a whole lot farther for a good ways.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the top of the wall in the corners was about waist-high. Similar to the height of the RF fence at Fenway today.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 01:42PM by RichH.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 04:26PM

Killer
One of the coolest memories I have of those days was that you could actually walk out on the field after the game (though they wouldn't let you onto the infield) and wander around. There was no Monument Park, you just walked up to the monuments out in center. That was back in '60, '61. Was that common practice at all the parks 40+ years ago?
At the Polo Grounds, home of New York's greatest centerfielder of the 1950s, I'd always walk on the field to the exit under the centerfield clubhouse after games.

Date: June 11, 2009 05:05PM

Al DeFlorio
Killer
At the Polo Grounds, home of New York's greatest centerfielder of the 1950s, I'd always walk on the field to the exit under the centerfield clubhouse after games.

Which, IIRC, was the deepest dead-center of that era, because of that place where it jutted straight back. It was some ridiculous distance like 475 or 481. But when I looked up deep centerfields online, I was amazed to find that Huntington Avenue Grounds, where the Red Sox played from 1901 to 1911, measured (OMG) 635 to center. Let's see the juiced guys hit one out there.

Date: June 11, 2009 06:21PM

Killer
Al DeFlorio
Killer

Which, IIRC, was the deepest dead-center of that era, because of that place where it jutted straight back. It was some ridiculous distance like 475 or 481. But when I looked up deep centerfields online, I was amazed to find that Huntington Avenue Grounds, where the Red Sox played from 1901 to 1911, measured (OMG) 635 to center. Let's see the juiced guys hit one out there.
Geez, you'd need oxygen to chase down a ball hit over your head.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 06:57PM

Al DeFlorio
Killer
At the Polo Grounds, home of New York's MLB's greatest centerfielder of the 1950s all time, I'd always walk on the field to the exit under the centerfield clubhouse after games.

FYP.

Date: June 11, 2009 07:32PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
Killer
At the Polo Grounds, home of New York's MLB's greatest centerfielder of the 1950s all time, I'd always walk on the field to the exit under the centerfield clubhouse after games.

FYP.
No argument from me, Rich.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 08:50PM

Killer
Al DeFlorio
Killer

[en.wikipedia.org]

I like this:

It had many quirks not seen in modern baseball stadiums, including patches of sand in the outfield where grass would not grow, and a tool shed in deep center field that was actually in play.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 12:36AM

Killer
Al DeFlorio
Killer

If this isn't where you found it, then FYI ballparks.com is a great source for this kind of trivia for baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer and even auto racing.

The depth in center field at the Polo Grounds seems to have changed every couple of years, but seems to have generally been between 480 and 490.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 06:16PM

Killer
I was amazed to find that Huntington Avenue Grounds, where the Red Sox played from 1901 to 1911, measured (OMG) 635 to center. Let's see the juiced guys hit one out there.
Keep in mind that in those days overflow fans were routinely put in the outfield. They would stand (sit?) in the back tof the field separated from the players by a rope. So on a busy Saturday a homerun to center might've been a bunch less than 635'. Not that it mattered. There's no way even the most juiced up moden player could hit a deadball era baseball anywhere near that far when it was new, let alone after the pitcher had properly scuffed it up (perfectly legal until the twneties).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 06:57PM

Thanks for hijacking my thread with your memories of visiting parks from the 19th century :-P ;)

Date: June 12, 2009 07:43PM

DeltaOne81
Thanks for hijacking my thread with your memories of visiting parks from the 19th century :-P ;)

Just be happy we haven't turned it into a discussion about quoits.

Posted by: RichH (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 02:57AM

Killer
DeltaOne81

I isn't a post-season threat without a discussion about trebuchets.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 07:23AM

RichH
Killer
DeltaOne81

I isn't a post-season threat without a discussion about trebuchets.
That's one way to clear 635. Or disperse a crowd on a busy Saturday.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 10:45AM

DeltaOne81
There is no such thing as hijacking a thread in summertime. Everything is fair game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login