Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lacrosse season approaching

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Lacrosse season approaching
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 09:18PM

ESPNU (still not available on Comcastcuss) will broadcast Cornell's lax game at Army at 5pm, February 28.

Inside Lacrosse has a kind of index page to their pre-season articles here: [insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Lacrosse season approaching
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:34AM

Al DeFlorio
ESPNU (still not available on Comcastcuss) will broadcast Cornell's lax game at Army at 5pm, February 28.

Inside Lacrosse has a kind of index page to their pre-season articles here: [insidelacrosse.com]

That's fine, I'll probably be there ;)

By the way, anyone realize the name of Army's lax field?
[www.goarmysports.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2009 06:35AM by DeltaOne81.

Date: January 14, 2009 07:48AM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio

[www.goarmysports.com]
Dress warmly. Should be cold after a 2/28 sunset on the banks of the Hudson. We'll be in Amman.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:24AM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio

[www.goarmysports.com]

Wow, that's waaayy too pretty to be called Shea Stadium.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 03:17PM

>>> Located along the banks of the Hudson River, Shea Stadium is also equipped with two functional locker rooms ...

Trying to figure the opposite of functional.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: January 14, 2009 04:35PM

billhoward
>>> Located along the banks of the Hudson River, Shea Stadium is also equipped with two functional locker rooms ...

the visiting locker rooms at Lynah come to mind.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 05:10PM

Dpperk29
billhoward

the visiting locker rooms at Lynah come to mind.
If it's under construction, there could be two that are functional and others that are currently not functional.

Or, "functional" could be used to describe them as austere, as opposed to luxurious locker rooms at professional stadiums.

Date: January 14, 2009 08:06PM

billhoward

Non-functional?

;)

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 10:20PM

billhoward

dysfunctional

CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:16AM

http://ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=6943

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:22AM

Wow.

In short, starting in 2010 lax (both men and women) will have a 4 team ivy playoff for the Ivy bid to the NCAAs (but not Ivy title).

If they're willing to do this during finals in the spring what next? Basketball tournament, football playoffs?

I hope this doesn't come at the expense of two nonconference games on the schedule or start date or some nonsense. I presume it won't since only 4 teams are involved.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 09:25AM by Chris '03.

(!)
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:30AM

Holy shit. That's ginormous. It's such a shock I don't even know what to think.

Gut reaction good: Increases chances of future tournament bids for Cornell. Increases chances for watching Cornell lacrosse live and on TV. Improves Ivy teams' recruiting pitches.

Gut reaction bad: As a card-carrying old-school crankpot, I have always hated conference tournaments. Hated.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 09:30AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Re: (!)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:37AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Holy shit. That's ginormous. It's such a shock I don't even know what to think.

Gut reaction good: Increases chances of future tournament bids for Cornell. Increases chances for watching Cornell lacrosse live and on TV. Improves Ivy teams' recruiting pitches.

Gut reaction bad: As a card-carrying old-school crankpot, I have always hated conference tournaments. Hated.

Also presumably helps play down to the stupid NCAA selection nonsense. By theoretically seeing a good princeton team twice, Cornell's t-10 sos improves. Thus, it can continue to play local rivals like binghamton, colgate, and hobart (and bad ivy teams!) without as strong tourney repercussions.

I don't buy the tie breaker stuff as the motivating factor. It seems no less likely for their to be ties in sports like field hockey. I'm more inclined to think it's the reality of NCAA seeding.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 09:38AM by Chris '03.

Date: January 15, 2009 11:11AM

Here's another reason for liking a post-season tournament that's just hitting me. A shallow, selfish, short-term reason. As a Cornell fan, I like that it starts in 2010, the first year of the post-Seibald/Glynn/Moyer era. That could be a tough, transitional season. To get an NCAA tournament bid, Cornell might need a conference tournament more than any season since Tambroni became head coach.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 11:55AM

Listen closely, people. Whatever you do, DO NOT TELL KEITHK ABOUT THIS.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 12:54PM

ugarte
Listen closely, people. Whatever you do, DO NOT TELL KEITHK ABOUT THIS.
ROFL! Too late.

Yes, I hate the idea in principle. That's a given. I'll spare you all the pontificating though (this time).

It seems like Chris is right that this will play right into the NCAA selection criteria and most likely improve Ivy teams ratings.It's sad that the tournament selection process is so f---ed up that the Ivies feel the need to emulate the ACC.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 01:04PM

Chris '03
Wow.

In short, starting in 2010 lax (both men and women) will have a 4 team ivy playoff for the Ivy bid to the NCAAs (but not Ivy title).

If they're willing to do this during finals in the spring what next? Basketball tournament, football playoffs?

I hope this doesn't come at the expense of two nonconference games on the schedule or start date or some nonsense. I presume it won't since only 4 teams are involved.

Very cool. Hopefully, hoops will be next. I'd go to, say, MSG to see Cornell play for the Ivy Championship. Football... well, probably never, unless they would further allow the champion to go on to the DI-AA tourney. I'd lose a NC RS game for that. The Ivies got along fine with 9 games forever.

Date: January 15, 2009 01:30PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

Very cool. Hopefully, hoops will be next. I'd go to, say, MSG to see Cornell play for the Ivy Championship. Football... well, probably never, unless they would further allow the champion to go on to the DI-AA tourney. I'd lose a NC RS game for that. The Ivies got along fine with 9 games forever.

I meant I-AA playoffs, not an Ivy football playoff. And I think the Palestra is a more likely home to an Ivy hoops tournament than MSG, who will be busy with the Big East around then.

The more I think about this, the more I'm disappointed. Here's Tierney on the issue:
Tierney
"Having a tournament will help Ivy League teams with their strength of schedule and their RPI, Just as importantly, it will be a great showcase for Ivy League lacrosse, and I'm sure Ivy lacrosse players will look at it as a highlight of their careers."

This is shameless bowing to and legitimizing a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE selection system. If tie breaking were really the issue, they'd just institute a playoff procedure like that which exists in basketball now. I would have preferred to see the Ivy coaches come out together in favor of fixing the system rather than this. What if they threatened to stop scheduling non-conference games and went to a 12 game Ivy schedule where everyone played each other twice? There'd be no way to rate the Ivies against anyone else and it would be hard to deny an 11-1 or 10-2 Princeton or Cornell team that finishes second in the Ivies and has a history of national success a post-season bid.

Furthermore, what does this do to the regular season CU/PU game in a year where they're 1-2? Sure they'll want the Ivy title, but wouldn't the new playoff game be more important? That's the one you need to win. Just seems to cheapen it. But at least it will probably be on some TV station no one gets.

Date: January 15, 2009 02:08PM

Chris '03
Furthermore, what does this do to the regular season CU/PU game in a year where they're 1-2? Sure they'll want the Ivy title, but wouldn't the new playoff game be more important? That's the one you need to win. Just seems to cheapen it.
Of course, it cheapens it! That's... wait, sorry. I said I wouldn't pontificate.

Date: January 15, 2009 02:41PM

KeithK
Chris '03
Furthermore, what does this do to the regular season CU/PU game in a year where they're 1-2? Sure they'll want the Ivy title, but wouldn't the new playoff game be more important? That's the one you need to win. Just seems to cheapen it.
Of course, it cheapens it! That's... wait, sorry. I said I wouldn't pontificate.
I'm with Keith on this one (and Chris, whose postings I like more every day). I think it stinks. If they want a playoff to break a tie (like last year), I'm fine with it. Works for basketball, would work for lacrosse. This is just a jerry-rig. Maybe they could have the top two Ivy teams play each other two or three times so they could raise their strength of schedule.

The NCAA selection and seeding criteria are lousy. Let's focus on getting them fixed, instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 02:41PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 11:05PM

Chris '03

Call me an old curmudgeon, but I like being from the only D1 conference that doesn't have playoffs for hoops. I'm all for a football postseason, but they should stay away from conference playoffs for basketball and the like.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:37PM

I agree with those of you who want to fix the NCAA selection process. You are right.

Still, I think it is smart to game the system as it exists. Besides the fact that others game the system and there is nothing unethical about it, it also may help to expose the absurdity in the existing selection mechanism.

And who knows, there may be some compelling on-the-field competition as a result of having the tourney.

Karl

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:51PM

Better yet...let's have a "SUPER DUPER IVY POWERHOUSE SERIES" where Cornell plays Princeton in a best of 7 series at the end of the conference tournament. Tierney and Tambroni could completely throw the tournament to let a 3rd ivy in and just completely make a mockery of it all, whilst thumbing our noses at the ACC as we both climb the ladder of SOS/RPI on each other's backs.

Date: January 16, 2009 02:25PM

heykb
Besides the fact that others game the system and there is nothing unethical about it, it also may help to expose the absurdity in the existing selection mechanism.
Isn't gaming the system inherently unethical? The fact that something is permitted by the rules doesn't make it ethical.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 06:06PM

KeithK
heykb
Besides the fact that others game the system and there is nothing unethical about it, it also may help to expose the absurdity in the existing selection mechanism.
Isn't gaming the system inherently unethical? The fact that something is permitted by the rules doesn't make it ethical.

If one was exploiting an unintended deficiency that others in the "system" were unaware of, I'd say yes. But here it is patently obvious to anyone following lacrosse how the system works and has for some time and yet no one has taken an steps to fix it. We're at the point were the lack of effort to change it leads one to conclude this is how the people in the system want it to be, so now your just "playing by the rules". I don't love that, but I also don't want the Ivies to do nothing and keep letting themselves be disadvantaged by the system.

Date: January 17, 2009 12:17PM

JasonN95
If one was exploiting an unintended deficiency that others in the "system" were unaware of, I'd say yes. But here it is patently obvious to anyone following lacrosse how the system works and has for some time and yet no one has taken an steps to fix it. We're at the point were the lack of effort to change it leads one to conclude this is how the people in the system want it to be, so now your just "playing by the rules". I don't love that, but I also don't want the Ivies to do nothing and keep letting themselves be disadvantaged by the system.

I'm with Jason. The committee is fully aware and approving of the fact (or otherwise willfully ignorant) that their system weights SOS extremely high. They are fully aware (or, ditto) that it allows strong conferences to make insular schedules and up their tourney chances.

I actually emailed one of the committee members once, with a whole description of the fact that their criteria are SoS, 75% SoS, and strongly SoS, and, I got a reply! basically saying "yeah, SoS is important".

Screw 'em. I'd be for the super-duper series too.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:29PM

DeltaOne81

[www.goarmysports.com]

Actually, Army plays most of its home games at Michie Stadium, where they play football. The Cornell game is at Michie.

Posted by: heykb (---.c3-0.upd-ubr3.trpr-upd.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:25AM

Add me to the Jason vote. This is exactly how I see it.

Karl

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 03:41PM

Chris '03
By theoretically seeing a good princeton team twice, Cornell's t-10 sos improves. Thus, it can continue to play local rivals like binghamton, colgate, and hobart (and bad ivy teams!) without as strong tourney repercussions.

Given that the tournament will be held on the "season’s last weekend," won't this actually put one of these games in jeopardy?1 I think we're essentially forced to give up a non-conference game for these tournament shenanigans. Binghamton would probably be the game that goes bye-bye.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 04:56PM

Couldn't we just play Binghamton mid-week?

Date: January 19, 2009 05:12PM

mnagowski
Couldn't we just play Binghamton mid-week?

We already do. It's Hobart we've been playing on Slope Day (the last weekend of the year). I presume Scersk implied that Hobart would move and Bingo get axed.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 09:31AM

The [www.theithacajournal.com] reported that the Little Red's junior FO wizard Gabe Mendola has selected Harvard over Cornell. Disappointing, but it's hard to argue with a kid wanting to be a 6th generation Harvardite.

Now, if JT can lock up Torin Varn...

Date: January 29, 2009 02:04PM

ithacat

Sadly, not gonna happen. Reports are that Varn is heading to Hofstra. It's a good match, I think. Best of luck to him and all Ithaca players hoping to play intercollegiate lacrosse.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2009 05:31PM

Hillel Hoffmann
ithacat

Sadly, not gonna happen. Reports are that Varn is heading to Hofstra. It's a good match, I think. Best of luck to him and all Ithaca players hoping to play intercollegiate lacrosse.

Wow...you're good. :-)

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Good for Varn. That's 3 D1 laxers from this year's Little Red.

It sounds like SU smoked Hofstra in a scrimmage this afternoon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login