Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Is this legit??

Posted by underskill 
Is this legit??
Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2023 06:31PM

Re: Is this legit??
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2023 06:49PM

underskill

Sadly I think it may be real

Date: October 29, 2023 07:06PM

Confirmation of threat to Cornell Jews
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2023 07:10PM by scoop85.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2023 08:55PM

Cornell sun reports [cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2023 01:29AM

It has more than a whiff of Cornell Review Editors Cosplay Project Veritas.

Threats were posted to Cornell’s Greekrank forums on Saturday, Oct. 28 and Sunday, Oct. 29

Radicalized Islamofascist frat boys?

But, not knowing either way, let's hope whoever did it is identified, apprehended, and prosecuted hard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 01:31AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2023 09:44AM

Truly disgusting. FBI and NYS Police investigating. President Pollack’s statement.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2023 09:53AM

This website, greekrank, is apparently a public forum that anyone can post on. Given the substance and form (bad grammar, dumb colloquialisms) of these posts, it seems most likely to me they were made by some idiot teenage troll somewhere. Very unlikely to be an actual Cornell student.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 09:53AM by BearLover.

Date: October 30, 2023 09:55AM

Based on some of the graffiti on campus this week, the behavior of some professors and the admin in general, I sadly don’t think Cornell students can be dismissed as culprits. Which makes me ashamed as an alum.

Date: October 30, 2023 10:47AM

underskill
Based on some of the graffiti on campus this week, the behavior of some professors and the admin in general, I sadly don’t think Cornell students can be dismissed as culprits. Which makes me ashamed as an alum.

According to a NYT article, the offending professor requested a leave of absence. I hope it’s a long one. Universities should be a place for informed debate, not mindless diatribes.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 11:57AM

Personally I'm more about this than a Tankie or a Righty agent provacateur, but like I said, find who did it and run him* through the courts.

* It's always a him.

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 12:33PM

BearLover
This website, greekrank, is apparently a public forum that anyone can post on. Given the substance and form (bad grammar, dumb colloquialisms) of these posts, it seems most likely to me they were made by some idiot teenage troll somewhere. Very unlikely to be an actual Cornell student.

That's my thought and hope (as much as wanting any outcome here can be a "hope";) too. It just seems like such an over-the-top way to do announce it if you were going to do it. Of course, the intent may have been just to scare people from the start, which is equally as bad, and needs to be punished just as hard.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 30, 2023 01:51PM

George64
underskill

According to a NYT article, the offending professor requested a leave of absence. I hope it’s a long one. Universities should be a place for informed debate, not mindless diatribes.

As long as Rickford remains on the faculty, Cornell isn’t seeing another dime of my money.

Date: October 30, 2023 02:31PM

scoop85
George64
underskill

As long as Rickford remains on the faculty, Cornell isn’t seeing another dime of my money.

A major donor at Columbia expressed a similar sentiment. The professor there called the Hamas atrocities “awesome,” Rickford called them “exhilarating.” Academic freedom has its limits. I can’t imagine his faculty colleagues tolerating his views.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2023 02:41PM

nope not today satan

Date: October 30, 2023 04:12PM

George64
Academic freedom has its limits.
No. It doesn't. You can be disgusted by his remarks; I am. You may demand he modify what appears to be support for the murder of innocents*, which should be grounds for dismissal as it is not covered by freedom of expression.

But academic freedom is sacred. A person could not be arrested for saying what Rickford did; therefore he should not face academic sanction for saying it.

Freedom matters most when you hate the sentiment. That's when it's valuable. The appropriate response to Rickford is: "You have the right to say that. You are wrong. Fuck you."

* Support for the IDF bombings would face the same test.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 04:13PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 04:18PM

Im not sure that you get those same protections though.. Its like you cant use cornell email or services to make political statements. You can represent yourself as a Cornell person in making those statements either.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 05:01PM

scoop85
George64
underskill

Penn is going through a crisis now where Wharton Big Guns are staging a donor revolt, mostly aimed at the president. There seems to be a lot of line crossing between the situation we’re discussing at CU and conservative “stop the wokeness” battle cries especially since a Palestinian literary event seen as the source of outrage occurred before this month’s attacks.

[www.nytimes.com] (paywall)

[www.businessinsider.com]

Date: October 30, 2023 05:35PM

Trotsky
George64
Academic freedom has its limits.
No. It doesn't. You can be disgusted by his remarks; I am. You may demand he modify what appears to be support for the murder of innocents*, which should be grounds for dismissal as it is not covered by freedom of expression.

But academic freedom is sacred. A person could not be arrested for saying what Rickford did; therefore he should not face academic sanction for saying it.

Freedom matters most when you hate the sentiment. That's when it's valuable. The appropriate response to Rickford is: "You have the right to say that. You are wrong. Fuck you."

* Support for the IDF bombings would face the same test.

First, I will admit that I didn’t hear Rickford’s entire “speech,” but like you, I was horrified that anyone would be “exhilarated” by the wanton killing of innocents. Likewise, I’d be horrified if someone were exhilarated by the deaths of innocent Palestinians by the IDF as retribution for the deplorable acts of Hamas.

Of all people, academics should rely on thoughtful argument and avoid hyperbole that incites passion, rather than reason. Perhaps I misappropriated the concept of “academic freedom,” so in that case, I say to Rickford, “You are wrong. Fuck you.”

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2023 08:42AM

I agree that academics should be thoughtful and nuanced. From watching the excerpts of Rickford's speech (I cannot find the whole thing) he seems to me to be deliberately going against the grain by stressing that this was an inversion of the expectation of violence -- the 24/7 violence against the Palestinian people in "the world's largest open air prison" which is maddeningly condoned if not encouraged by the West because it suits our purposes to have a beach head to protect our oil supply.

The West doesn't care about anybody in that conflict, Jew, Muslim, Christian, or Fryer (the Church of Bacon). Our policies are dictated by power projection -- the rest is sales. Rickford understands that and as an anti-imperialist (and as a human being) he is pointing out that the shoe being on the other foot for once might actually wake a few brains out of their dogmatic slumber. "This is awful when innocent people are massacohhhhhhhhh, now I get it!"

So in many ways the horror of Rickford's remarks makes his point. And that is a legitimate, and subtle, point worthy of an academic. But Rickford is also a historian, with an appreciation of how power operates, so he had to know full well the effect or his words and the blowback. Rickford essentially did the rhetorical equivalent of the Hamas attack, and the response is now the rhetorical equivalent of the Gaza bombings.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:07AM

Or just don’t support jihadist terrorist groups as another option. And certainly don’t encourage our kids to. It doesn’t have to be complicated

Date: October 31, 2023 10:23AM

underskill
Or just don’t support jihadist terrorist groups as another option. And certainly don’t encourage our kids to. It doesn’t have to be complicated
And ignore the day to day terrorism of state forces because hey it's not sexy. Yes, that certainly is another option.

The problem with being consistent ethically is it gets really uncomfortable, for everybody, really fast. That's why we make a distinction between "terrorism" and murdering children in "tactical responses." See how nice the latter seems? That baby didn't die screaming, she was just a euphemism.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:43AM

Civilians die in war. It sucks but that doesn’t create moral equivalency with barbarians.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 11:32AM

Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown. Some are just incapable of seeing the difference between premeditated murder, rape and infanticide and unintentional, though predictable collateral damage, in part due to tactics of the aggrieved.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:05PM

TimV
in part due to tactics of the aggrieved.
Oh FFS.

There is a difference for the individual running the Belgian baby through with his Pickelhaube vs the pilot pushing the button to release ordinance on the Vietnamese village. One is intimate and the other is industrial. I, like you, feel the former is far worse as an individual action.

But the planners who design the attack plans are ethically identical. They are, in the cool shade of their boardrooms or war rooms, setting in motion actions that result in mangled corpses. They are the same, all things being equal.

We excuse them to the degree they are acting in self defense, but in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict both sides are equally acting in self defense, so the planners are identical in guilt.

"Grunt, me good, you bad," plays well with the mob, so by all means continue. I don't think it will play quite as well here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 12:05PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:09PM

underskill
Civilians die in war. It sucks but that doesn’t create moral equivalency with barbarians.
Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs is not top shelf morality.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:41PM

Trotsky
TimV
Oh FFS.

There is a difference for the individual running the Belgian baby through with his Pickelhaube vs the pilot pushing the button to release ordinance on the Vietnamese village. One is intimate and the other is industrial. I, like you, feel the former is far worse as an individual action.

But the planners who design the attack plans are ethically identical. They are, in the cool shade of their boardrooms or war rooms, setting in motion actions that result in mangled corpses. They are the same, all things being equal.

We excuse them to the degree they are acting in self defense, but in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict both sides are equally acting in self defense, so the planners are identical in guilt.

Please elaborate on rape, infanticide, and intentional murder of innocents (vs Unintentional collateral) fits into your idea of self defense.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:46PM

TimV
Please elaborate on rape, infanticide, and intentional murder of innocents (vs Unintentional collateral) fits into your idea of self defense.
There's a guy in that village who raped my sister.

So I nuked it.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:19PM

If the village supports it then you should absolutely nuke it.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 01:41PM

I see they announced an arrest for the Cornell anti-jewish statements thing.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 01:57PM

upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2023 02:40PM

RichH
scoop85
George64
underskill

Penn is going through a crisis now where Wharton Big Guns are staging a donor revolt, mostly aimed at the president. There seems to be a lot of line crossing between the situation we’re discussing at CU and conservative “stop the wokeness” battle cries especially since a Palestinian literary event seen as the source of outrage occurred before this month’s attacks.

[www.nytimes.com] (paywall)

[www.businessinsider.com]

Strangely, the defenders of free speech on campus seem to be silent in this case: [www.thefire.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 31, 2023 03:43PM

underskill
If the village supports it then you should absolutely nuke it.
The numbers I have seen for Gazan support for Hamas are in the 30s. More than 50% of the population was not born the last time they won an election.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 03:44PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 31, 2023 04:28PM

TimV
Trotsky
TimV
Oh FFS.

if you still think in 2023 that the damage in palestine the idf causes is collateral i don't know what to tell you

Date: October 31, 2023 08:02PM

ugarte
TimV
Trotsky
TimV
Oh FFS.

if you still think in 2023 that the damage in palestine the idf causes is collateral i don't know what to tell you

If you don't understand the point I was trying to make I don't know what to tell you.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 08:42PM

French Rage
upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

Was a student apparently.
[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 09:10PM

Chris '03
French Rage
upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Hopefully he (or maybe she? no, definitely a he) won't be for much longer.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 09:44PM

French Rage
Chris '03
French Rage
upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

[www.instagram.com]

He. [www.justice.gov]

Date: October 31, 2023 10:29PM

Date: November 01, 2023 09:39AM

Nehaambore doing more for the forum than this thread

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: November 01, 2023 10:08AM

ugarte

Don’t knock it. I’m so ready to invest in the global paper bags market now

Date: November 01, 2023 10:20AM

RichH
ugarte

Don’t knock it. I’m so ready to invest in the global paper bags market now
What's our secret?

Volume.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2023 08:48AM

Chris '03
French Rage
Chris '03
French Rage
upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

[www.instagram.com]

He. [www.justice.gov]
Has anyone seen any reference to whether he also was responsible for the anti-semitic graffiti as well?

Date: November 03, 2023 02:08PM

nshapiro
Chris '03
French Rage
Chris '03
French Rage
upprdeck

[www.cnn.com]

[www.instagram.com]

He. [www.justice.gov]
Has anyone seen any reference to whether he also was responsible for the anti-semitic graffiti as well?
less likely to leave a trail of cookies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login