Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Save the Palms!

Posted by CAS 
Save the Palms!
Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:25PM

The Royal Palm Tavern is slated to close the end of February. This tragedy must be averted. We can't stand idly by and let this happen.
Any suggestions [buyers] out there?

Re: Save the Palms!
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:30PM

Why is it closing? Are the owners tired of running the business? Landlord raising the rent?

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:36PM

It is losing money. Sad to see it go, since I spent a lot of time there. [cornellsun.com]

Date: January 13, 2012 05:43PM

Was my second home senior year, many years ago. Was thinking of retiring there. There must be a way to keep it open!

Date: January 13, 2012 05:50PM

ugarte
It is losing money. Sad to see it go, since I spent a lot of time there. [cornellsun.com]

The comments to the Sun article imply that the owners of the bar also own the building and are selling it to developers who will put up more apartments.

Date: January 13, 2012 06:18PM

Yikes! So sad. Occupy the Palms?!
So many memories of drinking PBRs there. We can't let the special places go...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 06:21PM by CAS.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 07:12PM

Everyone's going nuts about this. Am I the only person who thought it was one of the tooliest bars in Collegetown?

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 08:42PM

ftyuv
Everyone's going nuts about this. Am I the only person who thought it was one of the tooliest bars in Collegetown?
Guess so. It was definitely the "senior" bar in '94 - a good place to just chill with a few friends without any annoying freshmen out to prove how cool they were. We always wondered how they stayed in business with $1.25 Schaefers...

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2012 08:51PM

Robb
We always wondered how they stayed in business with $1.25 Schaefers...

Volume.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 13, 2012 09:26PM

Robb
ftyuv
Guess so. It was definitely the "senior" bar in '94 - a good place to just chill with a few friends without any annoying freshmen out to prove how cool they were. We always wondered how they stayed in business with $1.25 Schaefers...

In 1994 I would say the "tooliest bar" was Dino's. Guess it depends on how you define tool.

As for the owner's assertion in the Daily Sun that most of their business came at the end of the night, that's how I recall it in the early 90s.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:33PM

ftyuv
I'm not sure when you went. It wasn't when I went. In the early 90's they checked IDs for real, so the crowd was all seniors, grad students and some young townies. I spent most of my time with the subset that played darts so I guess I can't speak to the larger ethos of the place.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:45PM

ugarte
ftyuv
I'm not sure when you went. It wasn't when I went. In the early 90's they checked IDs for real, so the crowd was all seniors, grad students and some young townies. I spent most of my time with the subset that played darts so I guess I can't speak to the larger ethos of the place.

I graduated in '06, and the Palms was plenty popular back then. To be fair, I only went once or twice, but I remember a lot of popped collars and people standing on the benches for no reason and looking at each other. Looked like a bunch of popped-collar fratboy prairie dogs.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:55AM

Wonderful place back in the early 80's, with a bowling machine and deep, spacious booths. It was a place for groups of 4-6 to get seriously drunk on those cold Ithaca nights.

It must be saved.

Posted by: RichH (70.42.157.---)
Date: January 14, 2012 10:55AM

Ha. Finally read the Sun article. The owner was my landlord my senior year on Dryden Rd., and is a pretty big creep. He can give as many sappy stories as he wants, I think he saw the chance for a big payday from developers and is taking the money & retiring. So I'm not surprised, knowing his money-grubbing nature. I'm sure he realizes he's selling out generations, given the "kids these days are txting instead of drinking" excuses.

Soon the center of Collegetown won't get any natural daylight with all the sterile high-rises.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 12:41PM

During my time, The Palms was a shithole with stale beer. While I don't like the look of C-Town right now, I won't miss the Palms.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 04:27PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
During my time, The Palms was a shithole with stale beer. While I don't like the look of C-Town right now, I won't miss the Palms.
You say tomahto, we stay tradition. The longer you've been out of school, the more you hang on to what memories remain in professors still teaching, bars still in business. Gnomon Copy continues as a viable business going back to the 1970s? 1960s? but it's not as warm and fuzzy as, uh, The Palms.

What's money grubbing about maximizing the return on your real estate investment? I know you can get a lower tax rate in some states by declaring farmland forever agricultural. Maybe in Ithaca, Berkeley or Cambridge you could get an abatement for a rundown bar if you agreed not to turn it into doorman-staffed apartments or Forever 21.

Date: January 16, 2012 09:57AM

In the late '70's, the Palms was a rare place in Collegetown which attracted both students and some townies. Had quite a streak going there in my senior year. Looks pretty much the same today as it did over 30 years ago. It needs to be saved. Maybe Elynah can start a fundraising campaign...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 12:42PM

CAS
In the late '70's, the Palms was a rare place in Collegetown which attracted both students and some townies. Had quite a streak going there in my senior year. Looks pretty much the same today as it did over 30 years ago. It needs to be saved. Maybe Elynah can start a fundraising campaign...
I have no doubt that this little online community could raise a few bucks for a good cause. But enough to match what a developer is going to pay for prime real estate in Collegetown? I think you've had a few too many Schaefers...

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 01:51PM

KeithK
CAS
I have no doubt that this little online community could raise a few bucks for a good cause. But enough to match what a developer is going to pay for prime real estate in Collegetown? I think you've had a few too many Schaefers...

Ithaca Bucks are the
one Bucks to have when you're
saving Royal Palms.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 02:38PM

ftyuv
KeithK
CAS

Ithaca Hours are the
one Bucks to have when you're
saving Royal Palms.
Fixed.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 03:51PM

KeithK
CAS
Change isn't necessarily bad. For every Olin Library and Milstein Cave, there's a "new" CTB, or Ale House, or new west dorms replacing the U-Halls, or "new" Wegman's, etc. The key is to always replace something with a strict upgrade, so things don't get worse over time.

In general, I'm amused when people romanticize their own experiences, as if most of the people lauding the Palms now would even be caught dead going to such a dump for the first time now that they are no longer poor college students. I don't think we need to worry overly much about students lacking sufficient opportunities to drink themselves silly: without Dino's, Johnny O's, and the Palms, more people will just crowd into Chapterhouse, Pixel, Ruloff's, the Nines, and Dunbar's, and you can't count out the notion that some spiffy joint will open in a new ground-level storefront. No, it won't be the Palms; but it will serve the same purpose for today's students as the Palms did for you all.

Sacrificing all potential for change on the altar of tradition or history without regard to the merits of the change is dumb. I personally would be fine with something replacing Lynah as long as it was just as raucous. Maybe that's impossible in a new facility, which would be a good reason to keep it around; but I am failing to see the irreplaceable uniqueness of the Palms that justifies any futile effort to save it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:26PM

Kyle Rose
without Dino's, Johnny O's, and the Palms, more people will just crowd into Chapterhouse, Pixel, Ruloff's, the Nines, and Dunbar's,

I have to say, that's my biggest worry, that the Palms' clientele will move to the Chapter House and mess it up. :-}

(Actually, I have occasionally noticed that happening already...)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 16, 2012 08:19PM

jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose
without Dino's, Johnny O's, and the Palms, more people will just crowd into Chapterhouse, Pixel, Ruloff's, the Nines, and Dunbar's,

I have to say, that's my biggest worry, that the Palms' clientele will move to the Chapter House and mess it up. :-}

It's hard enough to get a seat there past 10pm as it is. But if things get too busy, I suspect another bar will just open up. There's too much money to be made making students stand next to a velvet rope in the freezing cold.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 08:30PM

Kyle Rose
In general, I'm amused when people romanticize their own experiences, as if most of the people lauding the Palms now would even be caught dead going to such a dump for the first time now that they are no longer poor college students.
(1) You need a little more nostalgia in your life. If you don't romanticize where you used to get stupid, why bother being young at all?
(2) The only reason I wouldn't drink at the Palms now is because everyone else would be 21 and I'd accurately look like a sad old man. That the place is a dump would have nothing to do with it. Dumps are where the best drinking takes place. Even back in the 90's, when I was in grad school I liked going to the Royal Palm and drinking with the regulars in the early evenings before the students came in and the regulars left.

Date: January 16, 2012 08:59PM

ugarte
(1) You need a little more nostalgia in your life. If you don't romanticize where you used to get stupid, why bother being young at all?
I certainly didn't get out enough in college. But seriously, it's when romanticization turns into action to preserve the physical manifestation of the memory that people have gone over the line into missing the point. IMO. YMMV.

(2) The only reason I wouldn't drink at the Palms now is because everyone else would be 21 and I'd accurately look like a sad old man. That the place is a dump would have nothing to do with it. Dumps are where the best drinking takes place. Even back in the 90's, when I was in grad school I liked going to the Royal Palm and drinking with the regulars in the early evenings before the students came in and the regulars left.
I like drinking at places that have good beer. Usually, these places aren't dumps. But I guess I'm just a snob at heart: I certainly spent my share of time in Dino's when I was a senior, but we insisted on getting the best beer on the menu, $6 pitchers of Saranac Black Forest.

Those were the days. But I didn't shed one bloody tear when I heard it had closed. There are new experiences, new bars, new levels of dank, all conspiring to break people out of their comfort zones. Every man dies, but not every man truly lives, etc., etc. :-)

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 11:01PM

Good beer can be had at many places. Magic at only a chosen few. Save the Palms...

Date: January 16, 2012 11:54PM

CAS
Good beer can be had at many places. Magic at only a chosen few. Save the Palms...

You first.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 12:50AM

jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose

Level B is where those people will end up. For some reason, Chapter House is still too much of a walk for some of my friends.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 07:38AM

Well, I have to say, if this is the reason it's closing,

"Less than 10 years ago, kids would come out and start drinking after class … and we’d be busy all afternoon,” he said. “But drinking habits have changed.”,

then it's a good thing.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 07:54AM

ugarte
Kyle Rose
In general, I'm amused when people romanticize their own experiences, as if most of the people lauding the Palms now would even be caught dead going to such a dump for the first time now that they are no longer poor college students.

For me that would be Dunbar's. I lived right around the corner from it on Dryden Rd. and was there several nights a week. The owners knew me and even cashed personal checks for me (in the days before ATMs). The bartenders all knew me and my friends, too, and knew what I wanted to drink on a given night.

Ahhh, memories drunk
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 07:56AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: January 17, 2012 12:23PM

ajh258
... Chapter House is still too much of a walk for some of my friends.
For most people departing and headed home, it's uphill, which is work. But if you're stumbling down drunk, you haven't got as far to fall.

Date: January 17, 2012 12:30PM

Places that were mediocre in life take on epic proportions. I probably spent a dozen nights at the Palms; now I'll say it's hundreds. The Palms deserves credit for lasting so long. How many other places can you drink where Kurt Vonnegut could have drunk?

Joe's downtown was always okay never great in its first life. We lamented the passing of an Ithaca landmark, it came back, and again the food is okay not great. But to give credit, it's relatively affordable and that counts for a lot.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 10:07AM

Jim Hyla

"Less than 10 years ago, kids would come out and start drinking after class … and we’d be busy all afternoon,” he said. “But drinking habits have changed.”,

then it's a good thing.

Nothing wrong with hitting a happy hour, on occasion. Indeed, I remember the days when I fit that profile: have a couple of drinks after class, head home, make dinner, study, go to sleep. What's wrong with that?

Now, the kids don't make it out before 10PM, ever, for anything. What are they doing in the interim? Perhaps some are studying, but I figure that many are wasting their time on the internet, texting, whatever, instead of heading out early. More time spent socializing would be good for this generation.

"What a difference in this generation!"

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 08:08AM

Scersk '97
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

Nothing wrong with hitting a happy hour, on occasion. Indeed, I remember the days when I fit that profile: have a couple of drinks after class, head home, make dinner, study, go to sleep. What's wrong with that?

Now, the kids don't make it out before 10PM, ever, for anything. What are they doing in the interim? Perhaps some are studying, but I figure that many are wasting their time on the internet, texting, whatever, instead of heading out early. More time spent socializing would be good for this generation.

"What a difference in this generation!"

I don't mean to imply that "hitting a happy hour on occasion" is wrong, the vast majority of us, sans Mitt Romney, have done it. It's the amount of drinking that concerned me then and now. I don't know if there is less now, but that was what I was reading into the original quote.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:30PM

I don't think there is less in terms of volume. It's more concentrated which aligns with the studies showing increasing binge drinking.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:55AM

The Palms always seemed odd to me during my tenure ('88-'92)........I lived right across the street but I didn't go there very often. It seemed pretty quiet until around last call. Almost as if people went there to connect with friends before moving on to further drinking at someone's home/apartment, food or sleep. The crowd from 8 pm - 11 pm didn't seem as robust as at other bars. Maybe I didn't invest enough time there.

Most of my friends lived near Dunbars so we would generally go and watch Pep give beer to the hockey team (no free beer for us despite thousands of dollars "invested" at Dunbars) while Lee worked the co-eds. If someone was ambitious we might go to Dinos for a while to witness a broader co-ed audience.

Nobody ever accused us of being geniuses, but we had a good time in general.

Date: January 20, 2012 11:48AM

RatushnyFan
Nobody ever accused us of being geniuses, but we had a good time in general.
Shorten it by a word or two, change it to Latin, and you've got a motto worthy of Faber College.
[clear]

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:59PM

RatushnyFan
The crowd from 8 pm - 11 pm didn't seem as robust as at other bars.
Precisely why it was my favorite, and why I said "a good place to chill with a few friends." It definitely got packed by last call, but that was my least-favorite time to be there.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:29PM

Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

Not really. Everyone just pre-games in their residence all night (whether to save money or because no one else is out), then shows up from 11:30p-1:00a and drinks as much as they can in a short span. Not safer and not better for anyone except perhaps the convenience and liquor stores. The drinking's just been displaced and probably exacerbated, not curtailed.

Date: January 23, 2012 03:52PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

Not really. Everyone just pre-games in their residence all night (whether to save money or because no one else is out), then shows up from 11:30p-1:00a and drinks as much as they can in a short span. Not safer and not better for anyone except perhaps the convenience and liquor stores. The drinking's just been displaced and probably exacerbated, not curtailed.
Pre-gaming in residences not bars because of the 21-year drinking age as well?

Date: January 23, 2012 04:13PM

billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

And Xbox.

Date: January 23, 2012 04:21PM

Robb
billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

And Xbox.
Xbox over meeting Ms. Right at the Palms? What's the world coming to?

Date: January 23, 2012 04:49PM

billhoward
There was a lot of this going on, have no fear.

I have to say, while the Palms is a complete dump on the inside, the real appeal is the crowd: on Saturday night, the bar went from basically empty to completely packed with people dancing on the seats in about 5 minutes. I have never seen anything like it. You can't see the dinginess through the wall-to-wall people, but that just points up even more strongly that the venue isn't the important part: it's getting a large number of young people in the same place, dancing on the seats. Surely this will just move elsewhere once the Palms closes?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 05:39PM

billhoward
Robb
billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

And Xbox.

Meeting Ms. Right via an online forum you moderate, apparently. Don't knock it! :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 05:39PM by ftyuv.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:50PM

billhoward
Robb
billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

then it's a good thing.

And Xbox.
I have to figure a lot more of the Palms' customers were looking for Ms. Right Now than for Ms. Right, but I think most of us would agree that that's an equally laudable pursuit.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 12:02AM

The Sun reports that the property was actually sold a year ago.

Date: February 17, 2012 09:52AM

David Harding
The Sun reports that the property was actually sold a year ago.
The Sun reports the deal was several multiples of the properties' $800,000 assessed value, as if there's something amiss. This is the norm: a $500,000 house and lot are assessed at say $200,000. So long as this charade is equitable, everyone assessed at 40% of value, then it's okay. Still, it's amazing that the bar and 2 other Dryden Road properties in the deal sold for that much. Every generation of Cornellians thinks Collegetown is overpriced and then kicks themselves for not having bought in.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:00AM

So is there any one out there with a little extra cash [maybe $3.8MM] to top the existing deal, and save our beloved Palms? Would need to sell a lot of PBR to earn a reasonable return on the investment, but that's not the goal!

Date: February 17, 2012 10:20AM

CAS
So is there any one out there with a little extra cash [maybe $3.8MM] to top the existing deal, and save our beloved Palms? Would need to sell a lot of PBR to earn a reasonable return on the investment, but that's not the goal!
Let it go. The Palms will be a better place in our memories than it was most days in reality.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:34AM

billhoward
CAS
Let it go. The Palms will be a better place in our memories than it was most days in reality.
Truth.

Zinck's probably sucked, too.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 11:54PM

Last night at the Palms. On the internet.

[bambuser.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 11:55PM by RichH.

Date: March 01, 2012 08:38AM

Truly a sad day. Today's Sun has a nice story about the closing.

Date: March 01, 2012 10:35AM

CAS

From the front page of the Sun, Michael Bloomberg is the convocation speaker this year.

Date: March 01, 2012 11:52PM

CAS
If it went well, maybe they can do it again during reunion. Furniture stores go out of business, it goes well, they do it again.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 11:27AM

A The New York Times article this week has a story that continues a lot of the topics we've discussed in this thread. It focuses on Collegetown, as the author is a CU classmate of mine. Choice quote: "I can’t imagine what it was like before Facebook when you could just spend the morning after a big night out recovering. Now you have to spend, like, an hour untagging photos." Sometimes living in the future is a bitch.

Last Call For College Bars

Date: September 27, 2012 01:52PM

RichH
A The New York Times article this week has a story that continues a lot of the topics we've discussed in this thread. It focuses on Collegetown, as the author is a CU classmate of mine. Choice quote: "I can’t imagine what it was like before Facebook when you could just spend the morning after a big night out recovering. Now you have to spend, like, an hour untagging photos." Sometimes living in the future is a bitch.

Note that the editors have added a comment to the effect that they didn't bother verifying the names and Cornell affiliation of six of the students supposedly quoted for the article, and it's now coming back to haunt them. I hope your classmate's not pulling a Stephen Glass.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 02:13PM

Beeeej
RichH

Note that the editors have added a comment to the effect that they didn't bother verifying the names and Cornell affiliation of six of the students supposedly quoted for the article, and it's now coming back to haunt them. I hope your classmate's not pulling a Stephen Glass.

Ah. Seeing this now. So, drunk under-aged kids in bars approached by reporter give out fake names. Somebody call the New York Tim... Oh.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: September 27, 2012 02:33PM

RichH
Beeeej
RichH

Ah. Seeing this now. So, drunk under-aged kids in bars approached by reporter give out fake names. Somebody call the New York Tim... Oh.

"This guy is either gonna think 'Here's another kid with a fake ID' or 'Here's McLovin, a 25 year-old Hawaiian organ donor'. Okay? So what's it gonna be? "

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login