Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Watching Regionals in NYC

Posted by Josh '99 
Watching Regionals in NYC
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:34AM

Ship of Fools? Riviera? I'd personally prefer Riviera since it's way more convenient for me, but what with (presumably) an NCAA basketball game at the same time and the Rangers and Islanders in action the same night, their unwillingness to make a real reservation last time makes me a bit nervous.

I've got a crapload of work to do this week (else I might be making roadtrip plans rather than TV plans); can anyone coordinate this?

Re: Watching Regionals in NYC
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 11:10AM

I asked the same question in another thread. I simply don't have the time or the proper understanding of the satellite/cable issues to coordinate this with Ship of Fools. Somebody? Anybody?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RedAR (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 06:33PM

I can take this on, but from those who have previously made the reservation, about how many people did you guarantee? I recall they wanted a per head guarantee, so I don't want to overstate the number, but at the same time, I can't imagine that any fewer than 50 people will show up for a regional.

Can someone provide any insights?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:23PM

Last year it was more like a couple hundred than fifty. If you do the legwork on Ship of Fools and the TV feed, as soon as we're a lock I'll spread the word, work with Cornell's Metro New York Regional Office, and make sure everyone in NYC knows about it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: HeafDog (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 11:32PM

Beeeej
Last year it was more like a couple hundred than fifty.

It was a couple hundred only if you had had 12 beers and were seeing double. I'd say it was more like 70, tops. Either way, the Ship of Fools guy knows us (Cornell hockey fans), and as soon as you explain that that's why you're calling, I'm sure he'll reserve that back room for us. We were so loud last year on that breakaway goal vs. Minny that I'm surprised the glass doors out at the front of the bar were still intact. (Too bad we left so silently that you could hear a pin drop. :`( )

More people yelling at the TV = more excitement in the bar = more $$ for Ship of Fools. They love us there.

Posted by: RedAR (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:04AM

Thanks Heaf. In order to organize this, I have to put my credit card down, ensuring that each person will spend at least $25. I'm not about guarantee that 200 hundred people will show and put $5000 down, and be stuck with a $2000 bill. If we want to ensure that they reserve enough room for us, then I need to get a reasonable estimate.

If Heaf says that about 70 people showed, then I'm going to say that 50 will show, just to cover myself financially.

I spoke with someone at the Ship of Fools last night, and as soon as I said college hockey, he insisted that they had the chanel, but I want to make sure that they do get it, so I'm planning on stopping by tonight and asking them to turn to chanel 641, just to be absolutely sure that the game will be shown.

If there is anything else I should confirm, let me know, so I can get the right info and post it tonight.

Date: March 22, 2006 11:17AM

RedAR
Thanks Heaf. In order to organize this, I have to put my credit card down, ensuring that each person will spend at least $25. I'm not about guarantee that 200 hundred people will show and put $5000 down, and be stuck with a $2000 bill. If we want to ensure that they reserve enough room for us, then I need to get a reasonable estimate.

If Heaf says that about 70 people showed, then I'm going to say that 50 will show, just to cover myself financially.

If you need to spread the risk a little, I'm willing to split the guarantee with you. I don't doubt fifty people spending $25 each - or at least I don't doubt an ultimate total tab of $1250. I don't (can't) drink much anymore, but I know that's not a problem for most of the crowd that will likely show up. :-)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:28AM

Alrighty....let's put in the order for 150 buckets of wings right now...

Date: March 22, 2006 12:23PM

Thanks Beeeej for willing to spread the risk; I'll take you up on your offer. I'll stop by the Ship of Fools tonight, confirm that they receive 641, and then reserve for 70 people in the back room. Sounds good? Once everything is confirmed, then I'll contact Hillel to list it as an official meeting place.

Date: March 22, 2006 12:39PM

Let me know if you need me to stop by there tonight as well.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:48PM

For your sakes, I'm a little confused as to how they will regulate a $25 average per person when there's no actual per person minimum.

Date: March 22, 2006 05:22PM

I'm going to stop by tonight to make sure that they have the chanel. Once that is confirmed, then we'll work out the details.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 05:45PM

RedAR
I'm going to stop by tonight to make sure that they have the chanel. Once that is confirmed, then we'll work out the details.

After you've taken a look at their handbags and sampled the perfume, please make sure that they have the TV channel, too. :-D

Date: March 22, 2006 06:02PM

Oh, right, I'll check the channel after I check out their Chanel.

Date: March 22, 2006 06:11PM

RedAR
Oh, right, I'll check the channel after I check out their Chanel.

Let us know if they have the Zooey Deschanel, too.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2006 06:12PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: RedAR (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:04AM

OK, just got back from Ship of Fools, and I spoke with John. He went to check that they got chanNel 641, and we are set for 50 people in the back back room.

I didn't have to put down my credit card cause they know that Cornell fans are great, but, they will more or less be enforcing a $25 per head per table, so you need to be with people who will be eating/drinking.

I think that's all for now, but we are good to go. Beeeej, please let your people know where we will be watching. Tomorrow, I'll let Hillel know the official word.

LET'S GO RED!

Date: March 23, 2006 01:44AM

RedAR
OK, just got back from Ship of Fools, and I spoke with John. He went to check that they got chanNel 641, and we are set for 50 people in the back back room.
Talking to yourself?

Date: March 23, 2006 09:53AM

Rock on! Thanks for doing the legwork!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 23, 2006 10:27AM

No problem. John kept on mentioning how they love us there. He even through in a free beer for me while he confirmed that they had the channel and that they could reserve the room for us.

We're in the back back room, which he said should easily seat about 55 to 60 people. So come all, come early!

Date: March 23, 2006 10:31AM

E-mail sent to the appropriate people, about to be distributed widely to the Metro NY area.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:55AM

Is this a straight-up bar or bar/restaurant deal? (asking for ID purposes regarding those of us still a month and a half away from 21)

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 03:30PM

There have been kids there watching the CU games as well in the past, so you should be fine at least being in the establishment. You'll probably be okay if you want to order some suds, too.

To answer your question, it's much more of a bar/restaurant kind of place than just a bar. They serve food. To younger people, too.

Date: March 23, 2006 04:40PM

Great, thanks

Posted by: krk6 (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 07:12PM

I confirm that I'm coming with at least 6 other people...and they drink a lot. Not to worry about the $25 a person.

Posted by: WillR (---.dsl1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:01PM

Will be there with one other.

LGR!!

Posted by: matth (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:45PM

Hey I dont know any of you guys, but I will be there! Hope you guys are friendly. :-D

Posted by: tcl123 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:07PM

So what time does pregame start at the ship tomorrow?? drunk

Date: March 24, 2006 09:09PM

tcl123
So what time does pregame start at the ship tomorrow?? drunk

I was planning on 5ish, myself.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: tcl123 (---.lambrv01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:13PM

i hope to be there a bit earlier myself (4-430ish??). C U there.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:16PM

Probably between 4:30 and 5 for me.

Date: March 24, 2006 09:19PM

Beeeej, how many people are confirmed? Not sure if I can make any changes now, but if we know for sure that we have over 50, then I can try giving them a call tonight to see if we can reserve both the back room and the back back room.

Date: March 24, 2006 09:21PM

I haven't the faintest idea, I'm afraid - I never asked people to tell me if they were coming. Could be a dozen, could be 200.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: tcl123 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:23PM

I have 3, including myself.

Posted by: matth (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:24PM

Ill be there with 2 others.

BTW, Holy Cross beat Minnesota.... WOW!

Date: March 24, 2006 09:29PM

I have a feeling there will be a big crowd...certainly bigger than the very back room can hold.

Date: March 24, 2006 09:41PM

Well, even without having to put down a credit card, I still do not want to promise more than we'll have. I don't want to jeopardize our symbiotic relationship with Ship of Fools.

If you post a head count, even for just your party, then maybe I could get a better sense.

Date: March 24, 2006 09:47PM

Between 3-5 for my group.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:42PM

Still considering whether I want to drive in from Brooklyn. Possibly 2.

Date: March 25, 2006 12:24AM

2 (possibly 3) in our group

Date: March 25, 2006 09:29AM

One fan schlepping from the West Village to the UES.

Posted by: Molgestron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:06AM

I'll be there with 3-4

Date: March 25, 2006 09:19PM

That was amazing. I almost don't regret passing on GB. See you all tomorrow!

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:25AM

If anyone remembers getting hugged from someone they didn't know after the third goal, that was probably me. Great enthusiasm and great fun at SOF.

I made sure to thank the owner after he went around to every table to explain that the game would be starting late. After a bit of talking he leaned in and said/whispered, "Actually, I like you guys much more than the basketball crowd." He said he felt bad that he didn't have enough seats for everyone and that some were forced to stand. It's good to know he's a cool guy and likes us. I have a feeling we can expect the same sized croud tomorrow. LGR! See you all tomorrow!

Date: March 26, 2006 01:01AM

I confirmed with Glen, the owner of Ship of Fools, that a crowd about equal to tonight's crowd will be coming. And yes, he stated that he liked us better than the basketball crowd, but then again, maybe he tells the basketball crowd that he likes them better than the hockey crowd. laugh

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:12AM

so what was the turnout? 50? 200? I'm guessing you all made your 50 people @ $25/each seeing how there werent enough chairs :P

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:30AM

I'd put the unofficial count at 120. But I'm pretty bad at these things.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 26, 2006 09:30AM

Yeah...I ballparked it at a little over 100.

Date: March 26, 2006 11:12AM

The owner estimated that there were about 140 people last night. He's reserving both rooms for us tonight so that there will be plenty of seating.

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:14AM

glad there was a good showing..still considering moving to NYC after I graduate so its good to know that there will a place/people to watch the game with. I'm guessing Dallas probably doesnt have the same fanbase... :)

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:11PM

As an aside, I went to SoF last week for the ECACHL final without calling in advance or anything. When I showed up, it was just me and a friend. The older guy with the accent (who seemed owner-ish) sat us in the back-back bar and gave us not one, but three tv's with the cornell game and another two with the BC-BU game. By the end of the night, there were no more than 8-10 people.

They've always been incredibly accomodating to us... I'd imagine if you showed up looking to watch the Zimbabwe Rodeo Finals, they'd hook you up.

As I said in another thread, I may not make it down to the city tonight, but i'll at least be watching in Westchester (Sports Page in White Plains, NY). Hope to see some of you there - email me if you want details.

-Greenberg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login