Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Positives From the Albany Weekend

Posted by Josh '99 
Positives From the Albany Weekend
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 03:27PM

While we're all looking forward to Saturday's game against CC, I, for one, was too upset about the Harvard loss to think about any of the positive things that happened last weekend in Albany until now, so I figured I'd jot them down before starting to think forward...

- McKee made some great saves against Colgate, and even stopped the first shot with his back before Harvard scored their fifth goal (the one where the dump-in kicked right out in front of th enet). We all had faith that he had the skills, and I think we all still do.

- The effort by Pegs in breaking free to score the SH ENG on Friday was great.

- Carefoot's pass to set up the first goal on Saturday was a thing of beauty, and Kennedy's finish wasn't bad either.

- McCutcheon played his heart out on Saturday, even in stretches when the rest of the team looked uninspired.

- Bitz's faceoffs have improved tremendously, and it showed this weekend.

More randomly...

- The new Hampton Inn is solid. Comfortable rooms, good location, more affordable than the Crowne. I was so impressed that I booked a room for this weekend in case we wound up in Albany again. (It's not woofing if you can cancel the reservation.)

- The bartenders at the Crowne Plaza hotel bar make a heck of a Long Island iced tea.

- Always nice to meet new folks who I've seen posting online; this weekend's new faces included Killer (who I include here because I only met him in passing before this weekend) and Little Killer, Ack, Liz '05 and WillR.

- Avash, who I'd only met briefly in the past, was kind enough to give me a ride back to NYC on Sunday. Thanks!

- We kept the volume up even when the game wasn't going our way. Good job by us. :-)

Re: Positives From the Albany Weekend
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 03:49PM

Mugford's effort to carry the puck to the Colgate goal with a defender hanging on him the whole way was awesome. Not only did it eat up a lot of time on the late PK, but it kept Dekanich in the net when he was about to leave to get the 6-4.

Pegararo's face-off win and subsequent effort a few moments later to break down the boards and get the tough-angle ENG was amazing. McKee was very sharp Friday and the team really hustled Friday. Even before everything went downhill Saturday, I kept thinking it looked like we were skating with ankleweights as Harvard continued to beat our guys to the puck early on. On the positive side, we looked very good and out-hustled them for most of the 2nd. If the team of Friday night and the 2nd period Saturday shows up this weekend I think we will be in good shape.

Some of the online articles I read said the 4th goal Saturday quieted our fans and that we were quiet during the 3rd period. Having been there, we may have been quiet relative to ourselves, but we were cheering constantly all through both the 1st and 2nd periods and even for most of the 3rd. The cheers were not as energetic in the 3rd as they had been for our great rally in the 2nd, but what other fans would still have a good percentage still cheering for a 5-2 deficit in the middle of the 3rd period like we did? Dartmouth's fans only cheered for their goals and for the last few minutes in the very good consolation game against Colgate. The only other place I have ever seen support like ours when the team is down is at Fenway. Two years ago everyone was still cheering balls and strikes with an 8-1 deficit in the 5th against Texas(from which the Sox rallied and ended up losing by only 1 run, possibly with some help from the fans' constant energy). Many places have empty seats at stages like this, let alone fans still making noise. The only time I thought we were really quiet was after the 6th goal. Even then, we still managed a few unified cheers including a couple of good rounds of "Thank you seniors". A large group in 127 and 128 also chanted "4 more wins" at the end of the game. Many of our fans stayed for awhile during the awards presentations as well. I think many fan bases would have left to beat the traffic long before the night had gotten to any post-game stage after a game like that.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2006 04:15PM

jmh30
- The bartenders at the Crowne Plaza hotel bar make a heck of a Long Island iced tea.
But you'd better get in line now if you want one in time for next year.

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 04:37PM

CowbellGuy
jmh30
But you'd better get in line now if you want one in time for next year.

A Long Island iced tea? Or the room at the Hampton?

Date: March 22, 2006 05:06PM

Ermm. The LI iced tea.

Posted by: RedAR (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 05:32PM

As for Cornell fans being quieted in the articles, that's just cliches being used by the writers who were not at the game.

AFTER the Saturday game (just prior to the awarding of the Whitelaw), I yelled out a "LET'S GO RED!" despite the fact that I didn't think it would catch on after we had just lost. Well, it caught on, and the crowd was loud for about 20-30 seconds.

If that's not a sign that the Cornell crowd refuses to be quieted win lose or draw, I don't know what is (well, actually, probably the crowd at the regular season Cornell at Dartmouth game is an even better example).

LET'S GO RED (against CC)!

Date: March 22, 2006 05:38PM

I forgot to mention that cheer. At the time, I was thinking it must really suck to be a Harvard player. They had just won the championship and are trying to celebrate, yet all they can hear is "Let's Go Red!" over and over. Even in victory they can not shake us!

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 06:10PM

cth95
I forgot to mention that cheer. At the time, I was thinking it must really suck to be a Harvard player. They had just won the championship and are trying to celebrate, yet all they can hear is "Let's Go Red!" over and over. Even in victory they can not shake us!

Yet, to be fair, there was a split decision in the CU crowd regarding whether we should boo or applaud Harvard during the awards ceremony. The result of the game hurt like a bastard, but I had no problem giving Harvard a round of applause for playing their asses off all weekend.

My only problem with the post-game ceremony was that they gave the MVP award to a goalie who "won" a 10-1 game. Judging by what I saw, Dylan Reese would've gotten my vote. He was just all over the ice.

Yes, Harvard does suck to an extreme exponential power, but in all three games CU-HU has met this season, the H team were very respectful of the rivalry and our fans despite taking some of the best we can dish out. In other words, they didn't act like MSU did in Lynah.

This isn't to say I won't be rooting with firey gusto for another Crimson first-round flameout, for the reasons jmh detailed in another thread. Just that it's it can be good to hate a rival that you can also respect at the end of the day. I felt this way about the great Clarkson teams of the mid-90s also.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 06:33PM

RichH
This isn't to say I won't be rooting with firey gusto for another Crimson first-round flameout, for the reasons jmh detailed in another thread.

You wanna really hate a rival? Root for them to advance to Milwaukee and an NCAA semifinal matchup with you-know-who.

I have nothing but respect for the Crimson team that knocked off Cornell. They outplayed, outhustled, outwitted... Unlike the 2002 team, they weren't playing miles over their head on adrenaline, they were simply executing an intelligent game plan flawlessly. Had Cornell come to play with the same amount of energy, that might have gone down as one for the ages. Instead, just a missed opportunity and the better team won. :-(

I'd give quite a lot for a Round Four 2.5 weeks hence.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2006 06:35PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 22, 2006 06:43PM

[Q] I have nothing but respect for the Crimson team that knocked off Cornell. They outplayed, outhustled, outwitted... Unlike the 2002 team, they weren't playing miles over their head on adrenaline, they were simply executing an intelligent game plan flawlessly. Had Cornell come to play with the same amount of energy, that might have gone down as one for the ages. Instead, just a missed opportunity and the better team won.

I'd give quite a lot for a Round Four 2.5 weeks hence.[/q]

My thoughts exactly

[Q] Yet, to be fair, there was a split decision in the CU crowd regarding whether we should boo or applaud Harvard during the awards ceremony. The result of the game hurt like a bastard, but I had no problem giving Harvard a round of applause for playing their asses off all weekend.[/Q]

I don't think we should have booed Harvard. They definitely deserved applause. I just meant that it has to be pretty cool for our team to hear us cheering for them despite losing, while it has to be very frustrating for the Harvard players to not have enough fans to drown us out despite winning.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 06:49PM

[q]I don't think we should have booed Harvard. They definitely deserved applause. I just meant that it has to be pretty cool for our team to hear us cheering for them despite losing, while it has to be very frustrating for the Harvard players to not have enough fans to drown us out despite winning.[/q]I'm not sure I could have brought myself to applaud Harvard after Saturday's game had I been in the arena. But they definitely earned at least respectful silence during the ceremony.

Date: March 22, 2006 07:01PM

[Q]I'm not sure I could have brought myself to applaud Harvard after Saturday's game had I been in the arena. But they definitely earned at least respectful silence during the ceremony.[/Q]

I didn't think they deserved boos even when I was there, but I have to admit, I took the silent route, not giving Harvard any applause after we were done cheering LGR. In hindsight they probably deserved polite applause, which some of our fans gave them. That certainly doesn't mean that in the heat of the moment, many of us would have given it to them.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:05PM

Over the past seven ECAC tournaments, Harvard has been knocked out four times by us and won the other three championships. Last time someone else knocked 'em out was RPI in '99. Pretty impressive run on their part.

Date: March 22, 2006 07:30PM

Unfortunately :-(

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:30PM

Cornell's fans did not go quiet into the frigid night. The cheers kept coming all third period. When there was nothing else to say, there were a couple rounds of "Thank you, seniors," which sounded just a tiny little bit syrupy, but maybe the team appreciated it.

When the handful of Harvards started cheering, "Overrated," there was no immediate comeback. It probably would have been a good time to point to the H section and respond, "One and done."

No need to boo Harvard at game's end. Better to applaud Cornell and yell, "Let's go, Red." One of the nice touches at the end of game 1 Friday was that within a millisecond of the final buzzer of Colgate-Harvard, the next sound heard is the Cornell band and "Davy."

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:35PM

billhoward
When the handful of Harvards started cheering, "Overrated," there was no immediate comeback. It probably would have been a good time to point to the H section and respond, "One and done."

I suspect if we'd heard "Overrated" we'd have come up with an appropriate response. As I never heard it, what could I do about it?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:45PM

Liz '05
billhoward

I suspect if we'd heard "Overrated" we'd have come up with an appropriate response. As I never heard it, what could I do about it?

I heard it for a second, I ignored it and forgot about it. Perhaps because I half agree yark

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:53PM

CowbellGuy
Ermm. The LI iced tea.
I managed to get two in the time we were there, and I think three would've been more than enough. Well, enough anyway.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 07:41AM

Liz '05
billhoward

I hadn't heard it either, but the appropriate response would have been "over-graded." :-P

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:21AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I hadn't heard it either, but the appropriate response would have been "over-graded." :-P
Brilliant. We'll save it for next year.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:37AM

Will
Jeff Hopkins '82

Only problem is that in a crowd, it'd be hard to distinguish. They'd probably just think we were saying 'overrated' back. But eh, if it starts, I'd join in :)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:42AM

Liz '05
billhoward

Arrange to have the Harvard cheers signed for you? Surely the Pepsi Arena can make accommodations for the Retort (Because You Can't Hear the Insult) Impaired. And ignore for the moment that on that night, Harvard was right.

"Over-graded" works, too ... except with lousy acoustics, you'd have to say it very slowly and clearly the first time so the Johns don't think they're hearing "Over-Rated" back at them. They may have been distracted. A couple of them were probably intent on getting back in time for the It's a Sure Thing with My Harvard Cap Mixer at Pine Manor.

We'll have to see how the two Ivies fare this weekend. Cornell has a decent chance. Win-lose, lose-done, or win-win, this weekend, and we've got an awesome lax team already carrying the baton. I have a dream of dual NCAA titles in hockey and lax in one year. For the near term, I'd be thrilled with a pair of Final Fours (and one title).

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:22AM

I enjoyed meeting some of the current members of the team, joking with them about how tired Colgate looked vs. Dartmouth, witnessing Topher come up to my kids and give them high fives, etc. Also, win or lose, watching Cornell hockey is about the most exciting thing around.

From a historical perspective, we all witnessed the most dominating performance by a team in the ECAC tourney from a statistical perspective. Harvard outscored Dartmouth and Cornell by a 16-3 margin, the largest margin of all time. Cornell's most dominating performance was in 1967 when they beat BC and (screw) BU by a 16-5 margin with most of the damage coming in a 12-2 victory over BC. BU in 1976 beat (sucks) Harvard and Brown by a combined 17-6 margin. Hockey is a funny game. We all know that this wasn't the best Harvard team of all time (Harvard '89? they didn't even win the ECAC tourney that year!!) and that Dartmouth's goalie would want several of those back (and we'd like a few penalties back), but what they did was very impressive.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:49AM

The chant of "Thank you seniors" reminded me after the game of the "We're still Faithful" chant that was done after we lost the Clarkson playoff series in 2004. That would have been a nice one to do as well.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:21AM

billhoward
"Over-graded" works, too ... except with lousy acoustics, you'd have to say it very slowly and clearly the first time so the Johns don't think they're hearing "Over-Rated" back at them. They may have been distracted. A couple of them were probably intent on getting back in time for the It's a Sure Thing with My Harvard Cap Mixer at Pine Manor.
If you yell "over-kraded," with the K, it'll sound like "over-graded at the other end of the rink. But then, who's going to remember a thing like that in the midst of a disappointing loss? :-/

Date: March 23, 2006 03:12PM

Is there something self-deprecating that isn't too involved (cheers can't depend on nuances)? I'm thinking along the lines of Sir Winston's comeback after Lady Astor told him he was drunk ("Madam, I am drunk ... and you are ugly. Tomorrow I shall be sober.";) Like: "We lost today, you suck forever." That's a first stab and it's childish. The ideal chant underscores the transitiveness of our plight. Other suggestions?

Of course, if Cornell wins out, we can hold this thread in abeyance for a year.

Date: March 23, 2006 03:41PM

You mean something like,

?

Date: March 23, 2006 04:09PM

Awesome. So long as it doesn't keep you from your daily photo shoot of Lynah. What a waste of time (my viewing the work, let alone your taking the pictures) ... but I'm hooked. Thank you.

Date: March 23, 2006 04:10PM

That's awesome. Maybe "...to SUCK.."?

Date: March 23, 2006 04:16PM

It started life as "To lose...to suck" but that implied many losses. Mixing sounded awkward, so I settled on this version.

As for the renovation, there's nothing much going on outside at the moment. When there's something worth seeing, I'll post more. =]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.msc.cornell.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:21PM

CowbellGuy
It started life as "To lose...to suck" but that implied many losses. Mixing sounded awkward, so I settled on this version.

As for the renovation, there's nothing much going on outside at the moment. When there's something worth seeing, I'll post more. =]

They are chiseling away at the concrete in section C on the inside. Otherwise it looks like they are setting up a carpentry shop and taking a bunch of measurements.

Date: March 23, 2006 04:29PM

Bring a camera. Send me photos ;)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.static.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 02:11AM

DeltaOne81
Will
Jeff Hopkins '82

Only problem is that in a crowd, it'd be hard to distinguish. They'd probably just think we were saying 'overrated' back. But eh, if it starts, I'd join in :)

Someone should make a sign.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:44AM

Bio '04
The chant of "Thank you seniors" reminded me after the game of the "We're still Faithful" chant that was done after we lost the Clarkson playoff series in 2004. That would have been a nice one to do as well.

What Clarkson series? That never happened.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:45AM

CowbellGuy
You mean something like,

?

Please PLEASE say you have those in bumper sticker form. I'll buy 50.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Bio '04 (146.186.37.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:42AM

French Rage
Bio '04

Maybe the series didn't happen but I still like the chant. :-)

Date: March 24, 2006 10:06AM

CafePress does bumper stickers, but I think they might object to the Harvard logo.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:17AM

CowbellGuy
CafePress does bumper stickers, but I think they might object to the Harvard logo.

At the risk of launching a new OT legal discussion, how much trouble can you get in if you aren't selling the offending item? I had no problem having a Boston business make a half dozen "Harvard Sucks" hats about a decade ago.

Date: March 24, 2006 10:20AM

I had no problem having an Ithaca business make a dozen Harvard Sucks hats about a decade ago. Quite a bit seems to have changed since then. In CafePress's info section they specifically say no college names or logos, and go so far as to list Harvard as one of the 3 examples. They were pretty pissy about it the last time I tried to use them several years ago.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:50PM

French Rage

screwy
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 04:23PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:28PM

nyc94
CowbellGuy

At the risk of launching a new OT legal discussion, how much trouble can you get in if you aren't selling the offending item? I had no problem having a Boston business make a half dozen "Harvard Sucks" hats about a decade ago.
Cafe Press isn't worried that you aren't selling stuff with the Harvard logo; they are worried that they are selling stuff with the logo to you.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:29PM

Rich S
French Rage

screwy
Check out this guy. He thinks Clarkson won a playoff series against Cornell in this decade. Probably also thinks that Cornell played against a school called "Sacred Heart." screwy

Posted by: RedAR (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:34PM

dense dope.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:22AM

ugarte
Rich S
French Rage

screwy
Check out this guy. He thinks Clarkson won a playoff series against Cornell in this decade. Probably also thinks that Cornell played against a school called "Sacred Heart." screwy

Actually, I think the "it never happened" thing has been overused. It should be reserved for truly embarrasing losses, like 11-0 to Yale and losing to Sacred Heart. Um, I mean if those things had actually happeneed.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:10AM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
Rich S
French Rage

screwy

Actually, I think the "it never happened" thing has been overused. It should be reserved for truly embarrasing losses, like 11-0 to Yale and losing to Sacred Heart. Um, I mean if those things had actually happeneed.

Last night's game against Holy Cross is going to turn into one of those "never happened" games for MN fans. "What are you talking about? We didn't make the tourney that year."

Posted by: Robin (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:07AM

I know we are into another weekend :-) but here is another positive from Albany... Trotsky with Jason Moy. (assuming this attachment thing works).

RBL

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:29PM

How did you convince Moy to put on a Cornell jersey? :-}

Seriously, we were all best buddies at the time with him predicting that we were staying east via his only flip where he went out on a limb.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:48PM

can't handle a little reality, eh? No one wins ALL the time. :-D

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:49PM

Yep. Imagine that...my memory is actually accurate on occasion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login