Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Rink Renovation Blog

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lynah Rink Renovation Blog - today's Sun
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 08, 2006 01:11PM

aoop7
I have seen it and it is an overhang. It actually looks like an industrial steel catwalk (bright red if I remember correctly). My biggest question is about the new seating in sections A-E. When I was walking around, it really seemed as though traffic will be completely cutoff at the top of A-E. Anyway, the tunnel is looking good.

What was your overall impression of the renovations? Do the boxes pretty much rule out standing room for sections O-K? Does it feel totally different inside?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2006 05:54PM

Trotsky
Presumably they aren't going to have an overhang, like they do (did?) at Northeastern and Union. Tough visiting goaltender gig if they did. B-]
Overhang at Brown is pretty handy, too.

Posted by: aoop7 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 08, 2006 08:29PM

It was my impression that the boxes were not in O-K, but rather where the scoreboard was (I may be wrong). As for the feel, it is really difficult to tell. I don't think the tunnel takes away from the atmosphere. However, I am really not a fan of that catwalk... it doesn't look very barn-like.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2006 10:18PM

Traffic will be cut off at the top of A-E. The old outside wall is now the inside wall of a closed corridor outside the rink. Where the old walkway was at the top of the stands is now seating. Standing students will have no problem seeing the entire ice.

Where you used to be able to walk around the rink and see the ice surface, you will now exit the arena on both sides into hallways that do not have a view unless the doors to the arena (there are doors at each aisle) are open.

The "mezzanine" structure is over the old lockerroom and training room area at the level of the top entry ways (the concessions at the northwest corner). It does not overhang the ice, ending even with the boards. The existing scoreboard hangs down from the front of that mezzanine. There is netting where there used to be, but it must have been replaced in front of the mezzanine and the scoreboard because it is quite stiff (and very noticeable).

I can't imagine the scoreboard NOT being an iviting target at boring sessions. If there are seats up above it, one spilled drink could make for an interesting display! I trust they have thought about that.

Boxes are all long K-O. No standing room there anymore except for box ticket holders. One interesting thing will be to see how comfortable people are when the several hundred regular standees now have to crowd into their regular reserved seats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 10:22PM by peterg.

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation Blog
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2006 08:22AM

alot of the reg standers are wondering too.. many i talked too have never actually sat in their assigned seats..

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: September 09, 2006 11:12AM

it;s bad luck for me to sit in my seat... we're doomed...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 08:36PM

Dpperk29
it;s bad luck for me to sit in my seat... we're doomed...
Aren't you going to Clarkson this year anyway?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: September 10, 2006 11:28PM

yes... but there are still some games I plan on being at... you know harvard/dartmouth, clarkson/SLU, 'Gate...

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 11, 2006 05:33PM

Can we get some updated pictures? Anyone? Doesn't have to be Age!

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 09:47AM

any news on this or pix from anyone in town? curious where we are right now with the rennovations

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 01:35PM

jy3
any news on this or pix from anyone in town? curious where we are right now with the rennovations

Check the article in the photo slideshow thread.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 05:22PM

Well, at the Yale football game I was able to get inside. The new facilities in the south addition are far from done. However the rink, seating, etc. looked great. The "Box seats" are in, as is the row of seats on the walkway at the scoreboard end. As an aside, I wonder if doing that walkway was a fire code issue? The new student benches are in. The poor souls who have to stand under the roof beams had better be careful. Standing on your seat there, for anyone over 5'2, could give you a big headache. The pressbox was in but not wired up. All the benches, penalty box area, etc. were done. In short, they are very close to having their game face on.

The team was practicing, captains practice. When I was there they were working on the PP-PK the whole time.

I took some pics, camera phone quality in indoor lighting not great, but if I get some free time I'll post them.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2006 03:44PM

I heard all home games will be at Lynah. I also paused on the west mezzanine while some players were shooting (on the west goal). Absolutely awesome! It was like the overhead camera view for TV games. And you're close enough to the netting so the squares pose minimal viewing interference. These could be among the best seats in the house.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 07:56AM

I poked my head in between games of the volleyball match yesterday (Cornell over Columbia, 3-0, pretty easily, BTW).

I like way they've moved the concourse outside the arena and they've tucked the extra seats in very nicely. It will quench the ability of people to hang on the concourse watching the game when they are late (or late back after intermission). Since they don't let people go down the stairs during play, does it mean that people will have to wait outside the doors until a break in play? If so, a lot of people are going to miss a lot of hockey (or learn to be punctual). Also, a fair number of people (townie side) never sit in the seats they have a ticket for and just stand along the rail instead. There is going to be some real crowding in the benches when they all get forced into them (unless I missed something about changes to the lengths of rows or something...they didn't look altered, but I didn't go counting seats or anything).

I've got to agree about that top row of bench seats on student side...they are not stand-on-able for all but the shortest. If they can stand on their benches, then they won't want the people in front of them standing on theirs, etc. Seems like it would have made more sense not to add those extra 50 seats since the ceiling impinges on use. Not really a factor for me as a townie, but some highly undesirable student seats.

CK

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 12:19PM

[q]Since they don't let people go down the stairs during play, does it mean that people will have to wait outside the doors until a break in play? If so, a lot of people are going to miss a lot of hockey (or learn to be punctual).[/q]I certainly hope they will continue to keep people out. If this has a marginal effect on punctuality then great! If not, then it serves those people right.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 02, 2006 06:44PM

[q][q]Since they don't let people go down the stairs during play, does it mean that people will have to wait outside the doors until a break in play? If so, a lot of people are going to miss a lot of hockey (or learn to be punctual).[/q]
I certainly hope they will continue to keep people out. If this has a marginal effect on punctuality then great! If not, then it serves those people right.[/q]

My question was on the "I hope so side". We have aisle seats and I can't freaking stand letting 15 people come barreling over me during play (because they got let down the aisle in the break, but chat on the way, and make it to me about the time play restarts). Then, of course, if something interesting happens on the ice, they stand right in front of me, watching the play. I've had dreams of shoving people right down the steps...maybe I should take that part back...if it happens I want to be able to claim it was an accident, totally unpremeditated. nut

Of course, my husband is one of the chronically late who is often late returning after intermission...too bad for him I say. More room for me on the bench. ;)

CK

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 02:16PM

Of course, my husband is one of the chronically late who is often late returning after intermission...

Yeah, but it's okay to be late, especially to the rink (for many it is unavoidable -- job, exam, travel problem). What's double-plus uncool is dallying on the stairs, both because it blocks views and because it prevents people from getting to their seats.

You're not the only one to fantasize about assaulting them.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2006 11:32AM

A little off-topic, but they've reposted the public skating and skate-n-shoot times for Lynah on the athletics site...

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2006 02:52PM

hey guys
been away from things here...how will ticket availability improve with the seat addition, at least for when they first go on sale?

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login