Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Rink Renovation Blog

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lynah Rink Renovation Blog
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:13PM

I'm not setting up a webcam. That just brings up bad memories. But I can take some photos walking in to work and keep a blog. It gives me something to do with that domain name I'm not using, anyway.

[lynahfaithful.com]

Edit: By the way, it has nothing to do with the Forum, so if you want an account to comment or vote in the polls, you have to make a new one over there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 03:28PM by CowbellGuy.

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation Blog
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:17PM

Kick-ass, Age. You da man.

Kyle

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:19PM

Are the cranes in the background for the life sciences building?

Date: March 14, 2006 03:19PM

Yup.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 04:08PM

You rock, Age. It's great. Linked to the blogosphere from here (at least): [gregberge.blogspot.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 04:11PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 04:27PM

Excellent!

Not to be greedy, but I'd love to see inside pictures. But I suspect that would be a little harder to get. Certainly more effort than just snapping shots on the way to work.

Date: March 14, 2006 04:44PM

Only entrance I've seen with any sort of access is the Zamboni entrance, though there was a practice going on and the zamboni in the way at the time. Shutters are all down on the Bartels side, and I think there was something blocking view from the north door.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:09PM

You can still enter the rink by the doors on the west end closest to the crescent. THere are still hockey classes and public skate this week. After that I don't think you will be able to access it.

Date: March 14, 2006 05:12PM

Jacob '06
You can still enter the rink by the doors on the west end closest to the crescent. THere are still hockey classes and public skate this week. After that I don't think you will be able to access it.

At a certain point, the nice men with the liability clauses may object to you roaming around a construction site.

Date: March 14, 2006 05:14PM

Trotsky
Jacob '06

At a certain point, the nice men with the liability clauses may object to you roaming around a construction site.

Just borrow a hard hat and a clip board and you can get in just about anywhere.

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:33PM

nyc94
Just borrow a hard hat and a clip board and you can get in just about anywhere.

In case anyone is serious... nut From my experience on Cornell construction sites, I would also add safety glasses and a nextel phone on your hip to the list. Also, if you are six feet tall or taller, weighing 160 lbs or less is a huge give away. If you are wearing a tie, you are even less likely to be spoken to.

BTW, I'm not suggesting anyone enter a restricted construction site. I'm simply making fun of the managers and workers on said sites. :-P

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:28PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 08:33PM

Age, great as always. How about putting a link to it on the forum banner. Since I'd guess most of us pop to this as our homepage, or close to it, it would allow and remind us to take a look. Thanks again.

Date: March 14, 2006 09:14PM

It's been there since this afternoon =P

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:20PM

i think you are all seriously disturbed. I mean c'mon are you really telling me that you NEED to see what is likely to be close to 300+ days of construction? If you are really going to follow this perhaps CSTV could offer the construction channel. It could be the 24hr construction network, all construction all the time.

I will of course check this new web site frequently. Also I stopped by the rink today and had a quick look before getting the boot.

Posted by: Jim (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:58PM

The press box is gone, all of the plaastic seats are gone, tomorrow the toliets go and they start digging for the tunnel that will go to the rink. The ice will go away on March 29 all according to super at the josb site today

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:02PM

ummm... dumb question... but will they keep the ice if we still need it to practice?

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 01:53AM

A renovation blog reminds of the premise behind Seinfeld: A show about nothing. And like Seinfeld, we're tuning in. Keep those pictures coming!

Does one have to be credentialed media to photograph from inside? <g>

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: March 15, 2006 02:28AM

WillR
i think you are all seriously disturbed. I mean c'mon are you really telling me that you NEED to see what is likely to be close to 300+ days of construction? If you are really going to follow this perhaps CSTV could offer the construction channel. It could be the 24hr construction network, all construction all the time.

I will of course check this new web site frequently. Also I stopped by the rink today and had a quick look before getting the boot.

The mental state of some ELF posters has been discussed here: [elf.elynah.com]

Do we have a psychiatrist on ELF to address these "concerns"? ;-)

Posted by: Bio '04 (146.186.37.---)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:05AM

I really need to get my lab to read a condensed version of the eLynah forum so that they know that I am one of many people who is extremely devoted to my alma mater and that has an almost (who am I kidding, almost) unhealthy obsession for its hockey team.

Or perhaps it would just backfire and make me look crazier. Love the pictures! nut

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:47AM

Bio '04
I really need to get my lab to read a condensed version of the eLynah forum so that they know that I am one of many people who is extremely devoted to my alma mater and that has an almost (who am I kidding, almost) unhealthy obsession for its hockey team.

Or perhaps it would just backfire and make me look crazier. Love the pictures! nut

I frequently point to posters here to say "Look, I'm not THAT crazy. I know all these people that are just as crazy/crazier!" My (non-Cornell) friends smile and nod after asking me how many I've actually met. :-}

Date: March 15, 2006 02:15PM

New pics are up.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 02:16PM

Anyone know where the ILR graduation ceremony will be this year? Perhaps there is a better venue where you can actually hear the dean. idea

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 03:05PM

CBG's blog
Section C's seats, the press box, and penalty box area have been removed. Note the contractors working with blazing speed. Yes, it's too late to change your poll answer.

Anyone who hires contractors know there's a burst of speed followed by periods of, ah, lesser intensity.

Let's Go Red Contactors!

Date: March 15, 2006 04:28PM

billhoward
CBG's blog
Section C's seats, the press box, and penalty box area have been removed. Note the contractors working with blazing speed. Yes, it's too late to change your poll answer.

Anyone who hires contractors know there's a burst of speed followed by periods of, ah, lesser intensity.

The initial burst coincidentally abates as soon as enough material has been removed that the job must go forward to completion, rather than just keeping the old configuration.

(I'm about to re-side my house. I hope it doesn't rain for about a month.)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:48PM

Can we get the pep band to play for them and entice them back into working hard? idea

Posted by: eb25 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 06:07PM

The ice will be on as long as it's needed.. otherwise it will start coming off the morning of the 29th

Date: March 15, 2006 10:37PM

Facetimer
Anyone know where the ILR graduation ceremony will be this year? Perhaps there is a better venue where you can actually hear the dean. idea
[commencement.cornell.edu]

Industrial and Labor Relations
Presentation of awards and diplomas for all ILR undergraduates and graduates will be held outdoors betweeen ILR Conference Center and Ives Hall. A reception for graduates and their families will follow this ceremony in the same area.
Time: Immediately following the Commencement ceremony
Place: ILR Conference Center and Ives Hall

Severe Weather Plan: If the University chooses the Severe Weather Plan for Commencement,the ILR graduates will participate in the 1:00 p.m. ceremony in Barton Hall. Presentation of awards and diplomas will be held at the same location as noted above from 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:48PM

ebilmes
Can we get the pep band to play for them and entice them back into working hard? idea
Great idea. The workers will be so desperate to shut up the band that the renovation will be done months ahead of schedule! :-D :-P :-D

Date: March 16, 2006 01:53PM

I love the fact that the place is being torn apart, but the banners are still hanging in the rafters.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:59PM

KeithK
I love the fact that the place is being torn apart, but the banners are still hanging in the rafters.

If they wanted to take them down there would be a fight over which union's job it is. :-)

Date: March 16, 2006 02:09PM

KeithK

If they need a place to hang them temporarily, there's plenty of room in the rafters at Union, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Colgate...

[www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: mjc (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:51PM

A bit OT but..does anyone know where floor hockey intermural games are going to be played?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 08:45AM

mjc
A bit OT but..does anyone know where floor hockey intermural games are going to be played?

They aren't entirely sure yet, but what they were initally saying was the Ramin room. How you play floor hockey on turf I don't know. I suggested to them trying the tennis courts on north, I haven't heard what the final plan is yet.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 08:43AM

... so when does the icemaking get turned off? Not sure how you show a picture of ice melting, but, Age, if you can get one, we'll view it.

Date: March 27, 2006 10:31AM

You can tell by the new stream coming out the zamboni door and the pile of red and blue ice. They're starting to do some more substantial excavation on the south side today. I'll get some photos at lunch.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:24PM

Hmmm? "New West End Platform Seating"? How did I miss this?

[www.lynahrink.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:27PM

DeltaOne81
Hmmm? "New West End Platform Seating"? How did I miss this?
I saw that. It's for wheelchairs, etc., right?

Kyle

Posted by: A-ron (---.kpf.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:33AM

I noticed that the "new seating" is behind what is currently seating for students. As we all know, students don't sit during games. Since this new seating wraps all the way around, I'm assuming it's been planned to be at the same level. I hope the architects took into consideration the sight lines behind your average height student who stands...at Albany the standing sections left the back row empty so that the box seats could see better. Does anyone know if this has been thought about?

Date: March 28, 2006 11:37AM

A-ron
I noticed that the "new seating" is behind what is currently seating for students. As we all know, students don't sit during games. Since this new seating wraps all the way around, I'm assuming it's been planned to be at the same level. I hope the architects took into consideration the sight lines behind your average height student who stands...at Albany the standing sections left the back row empty so that the box seats could see better. Does anyone know if this has been thought about?
I strongly suspect the new seating on the south side is specifically for the students; hopefully this also means they're returning what remains of section C (above the new tunnel) to the students, as well. The new skyboxes are on the north side.

Kyle

Date: March 28, 2006 11:47AM

krose
hopefully this also means they're returning what remains of section C (above the new tunnel) to the students, as well. The new skyboxes are on the north side.

Hopefully those of us who have had seats in C for a lengthy interval of the Miserable Annals of the Earth will be provided for appropriately. :-( :-( :-(

Date: March 28, 2006 11:57AM

Has anyone seen an artist's rendering of the outside and the foyer? I've seen the floorplans, but I'd like to see what it will really look like.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:52PM

Trotsky
krose
hopefully this also means they're returning what remains of section C (above the new tunnel) to the students, as well. The new skyboxes are on the north side.

Hopefully those of us who have had seats in C for a lengthy interval of the Miserable Annals of the Earth will be provided for appropriately. :-( :-( :-(

I'm sure the Section-Cers will have first crack at the boxes. burnout

I hope any (and every future) expansion offers a relative increase in student seating. If students represent approximately 40% of capacity & they're expanding by 450, offer 180 to students. I'd also like to see more more band participation, if possible. So work that into the mix.

Of course, that would leave 270 seats, of which 150 are in the boxes. If most of the boxes are sold to Corporate folks (non-season ticket holders?), it might only dent the season ticket wait list. If, however, all seats on the south side go to students (including Section C), and if all the boxes go Corporate, and if the platform is only for accessibility needs...let's see, Lynah would increase seating by around 12% and might not even touch the waiting list. Actually, I guess that would increase the list because someone would get bumped by those being relocated from Section C. Wouldn't that be something? Not saying that's going to happen, but wouldn't that be something. ;-)

Date: March 28, 2006 02:25PM

Somehow I doubt that the boxes on the south side will be student seating. I'd be surprised if they weren't sold at a premium. I hadn't thought about the sitting standing thing, but they damn well better have thought about it when designing the boxes or they're going to have a thousand pissed off students in a year or so.

How many seats were there in section C and how many will there be after the tunnel is dug and the press box relocated? Assuming those go to students then there will be an increase in the student section even if all of the boxes go townie or corporate.

Date: March 28, 2006 02:41PM

KeithK
Somehow I doubt that the boxes on the south side will be student seating. I'd be surprised if they weren't sold at a premium. I hadn't thought about the sitting standing thing, but they damn well better have thought about it when designing the boxes or they're going to have a thousand pissed off students in a year or so.
Look carefully at the drawing again:

[www.lynahrink.com]

The north side specifically says "New Box Seating". The south side says only "New Seating". This is why I suspect the boxes are on the north only.

If I had to guess, the new seats will either be bleachers above the existing south concourse, or will be seamless with the existing sections, only with access points and stairs.

Edit: furthermore, the ~400 capacity addition they're talking about would be impossible to achieve with anything short of bleachers, especially since they're already losing seats in C.

Kyle
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 02:45PM by krose.

Date: March 28, 2006 02:52PM

Losing seats in C from the tunnel, but also gaining (probably more) back by moving the press box up. That's, what, two or three rows?

Posted by: ben03 (---.kittrich.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 03:52PM

after a closer look at the cited plan, i'm wondering where the players/penalty benches will be located? the drawing only accounts for a single players bench and no sin-bins. any thoughts?

EDIT: on second thought, my guess is nothing will change from the current setup. the PA booth will just be the door to the new tunnel and the players benches remain where they currently are located. althought this now leaves Arthur with no place to sit … screwy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 04:09PM by ben03.

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 04:51PM

I have one addition thought about seating. How many rows of standing students can they add before eyelevel of the standing students is raised to the level of the rafter beams? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-WillR

Date: March 29, 2006 05:37PM

WillR
I have one addition thought about seating. How many rows of standing students can they add before eyelevel of the standing students is raised to the level of the rafter beams? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I know this is Cornell Athletics we're talking about, but I have to assume that even they aren't this dumb.

At the very worst, a very large steel beam supporting the roof 2-3 feet in from the current exterior wall would eliminate this issue.

Kyle

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:07PM

thanks for the pix, age

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 06:49PM

Found an interesting quote on CHN when looking at a link posted on another thread
[Q]Meanwhile, Cornell's famed Lynah Rink is undergoing expansion, something that started literally the day after Cornell won its ECAC playoff series with Clarkson. The ambitious project, which mainly focuses on improving the locker room and weight facilities, is expected to be done in time for the start of next season.[/Q] [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Anyone want to guess how true that will be?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:01PM

nr53

Anyone want to guess how true that will be?

Yeah that got me wondering as well. Maybe Adam will chime in and let us know if Cornell Athletics actually "expect" the project to be done in time for the begining of next season.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 08:43PM

[Q]Found an interesting quote on CHN when looking at a link posted on another thread [/Q]

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Some info that might suggest increased reasons for players leaving early this year compared to other years at the bottom of the article.

Date: April 13, 2006 11:35AM

Sorry for the lack up updates, but I was out of town for about a week. I just put up more photos, most notably of the new outer wall on the north side. It's going up rather quickly.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: April 13, 2006 11:39AM

CowbellGuy
most notably of the new outer wall on the north side. It's going up rather quickly.
I hope they're planning on a nicer facade than the raw cinder block motif. :)

Kyle

Date: April 13, 2006 12:04PM

Doesn't it look like they are digging down to ice level on the south side?

Date: April 13, 2006 12:16PM

(1) What is currently behind the south wall underneath the stands? Is that solid concrete?

(2) You walk into the lobby from the south side. How do you get to seats -- up a stair to a concourse on the same level as the current (narrow) concourse, or thorugh a lobby floor-level tunnel under the stands that emerges in the seating area at ice level.

Date: April 13, 2006 02:19PM

I believe the new locker rooms are going down near ice level, but the entrance will continue to be up where it was. The only ones climbing stairs will be the players.

Date: April 13, 2006 02:43PM

So, the lobby floor will be at the same level as the current concourse?

If the only reason for the big hole is that they're building a box on the south side for the lockers, couldn't they have the lockerrooms at ice level and just carve tunnels straight from the lockerrooms to the ice, with no climbing? Is that too low a ceiling?

Date: April 13, 2006 09:47PM

It looks as if the locker room won't be at street level unless they're pouring footings for an eight- or twelve-foot frostline (and they excavated for more than just footings) ... but they're not a ice level with the locker room, either. What should a locker room have, a ten-foot ceiling? It looks as if the lockers would be under what will be the outside walkway.

Date: April 13, 2006 11:51PM

Trotsky
So, the lobby floor will be at the same level as the current concourse?

If the only reason for the big hole is that they're building a box on the south side for the lockers, couldn't they have the lockerrooms at ice level and just carve tunnels straight from the lockerrooms to the ice, with no climbing? Is that too low a ceiling?
That's what I assumed they would be doing when the first vague descriptions started floating in. It seemed to me to make sense. You don't necessarily need windows in a locker room. nut

Posted by: Billy (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 12:11PM

Cardiovascular training and rehabilitation rooms are going where the big hole currently is. I guess if they excavate all the way accross the length of the rink then we're know they've moved the locker rooms. But as I look at the plans in the video, and where the hole is, it makes sense to me.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: April 27, 2006 10:23PM

Anything new lately? NHL playoffs just haven't been doing it lately.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:28AM

Yeah, I'll probably get a few more pics this afternoon. It's just tough to get decent shots with all the closed off areas now.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:45AM

CowbellGuy
Yeah, I'll probably get a few more pics this afternoon. It's just tough to get decent shots with all the closed off areas now.

If I come up for the lax game, I'd loan you my IS infrared lens with the XRay flash. It may disrupt Resnet communications for a few seconds when it goes off, but the pictures come out great. Brick and steel is no problem, plastic sheeting even less. We want more! Photos.

Home Games in Elmira?
Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2006 07:20AM

While the Elmira Star-Gazette bears the title of First Gannett Newspaper (100 years old this year), it isn't often internationally known (eLynah does have a regular contributor based in Australia - right?) for breaking news stories. Today's sports section reports the manager of First Arena in Elmira as saying last night, "Cornell is looking to have home games at the arena. Cornell will be renting the building."

Can it be - we read it there first? LGR!!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 08:07AM by miniteam8s.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: May 30, 2006 12:41PM

According to this guy, we've won some "ratty's"

[slog.cstv.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2006 12:54PM

Chris 02

[slog.cstv.com]

In addition to Best Band and Best Road Fans, Cornell now has won Best Home Fans. However, the award was demeaned by the runner-up being BU. Please. BU has better fans than Harvard and MIT but that's about it. What can you say about a college named after a bridge?

OK, BU might have a shot at winning Best Hockey Team from a Safety School. Isn't the school motto, in Latin, "Where else did you apply?"

(And how did the Lynah renovation thread get involved in other-blog awards?)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 30, 2006 02:34PM

billhoward
Chris 02

[slog.cstv.com]

In addition to Best Band and Best Road Fans, Cornell now has won Best Home Fans. However, the award was demeaned by the runner-up being BU. Please. BU has better fans than Harvard and MIT but that's about it. What can you say about a college named after a bridge?

I disagree. BU is up there with Clarkson and WMU (sans thunderstix) among the best home crowds I've seen as a visiting fan. UVM in 1997 should be on the list too, I guess, but I never came away with a lot of respect for them as individuals. And their band sucks, other than when they're leading Vermont's one cheer.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2006 02:03AM

jtwcornell91
I disagree. BU is up there with Clarkson and WMU (sans thunderstix) among the best home crowds I've seen as a visiting fan. UVM in 1997 should be on the list too, I guess, but I never came away with a lot of respect for them as individuals. And their band sucks, other than when they're leading Vermont's one cheer.
Of course, these aren't awards for 1997. :-P

I did like the line "So, in the end, it came down to the fact that Cornell fans simply do not shut up." Go us.

I'm not sure how the Union-Yale 5OT game (the longest men's college hockey game ever) or the Cornell-Wisconsin game (widely acknowledged as a classic) didn't make the top 5 cut for "Best Postseason Men's Game."

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.11.---)
Date: May 31, 2006 10:45AM

jmh30

I'm not sure how the Union-Yale 5OT game (the longest men's college hockey game ever) or the Cornell-Wisconsin game (widely acknowledged as a classic) didn't make the top 5 cut for "Best Postseason Men's Game."

Because he wasn't there. To be eligible, he had to be at the game. Likewise, the only home fans eligible are those he saw in person.

Posted by: Mark (---.nas.vdot.net)
Date: May 31, 2006 06:06PM

Nice chin music, William, I like it. :-D

Does the bridge-college theory also cover the Brooklyn Bridge?

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 31, 2006 06:11PM

billhoward
Chris 02

[slog.cstv.com]

OK, BU might have a shot at winning Best Hockey Team from a Safety School. Isn't the school motto, in Latin, "Where else did you apply?"

Does the bridge-college theory also cover Brooklyn College?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2006 06:26PM

Chris '03
jmh30

Because he wasn't there. To be eligible, he had to be at the game. Likewise, the only home fans eligible are those he saw in person.
Yep, I noticed that after I posted. Makes sense.

Date: May 31, 2006 08:12PM

Mark
billhoward
Chris 02

[slog.cstv.com]

Does the bridge-college theory also cover Brooklyn College?

Nope. It's an adaptation of old Jeopardy style joke:

Answer - Harvard, MIT, and BU.
Question - In Boston, name two colleges and a bridge.

Posted by: ugarte (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: June 01, 2006 10:45AM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
Chris 02

[slog.cstv.com]

I disagree. BU is up there with Clarkson and WMU (sans thunderstix) among the best home crowds I've seen as a visiting fan.
I give them credit for "wheels on your house" - that is pretty great. And yes, I do realize that it is incredibly classist. Same answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2006 10:46AM by ugarte.

Date: June 01, 2006 11:13AM

ugarte
I give them credit for "wheels on your house" - that is pretty great. And yes, I do realize that it is incredibly classist.
Shrug. If it fits...

(Posted from the heart of the Land that Foundationed Homes Forgot.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2006 11:54AM

Cornell's summe 2006 'Communique' features an article on the Lynah renovation. What caught my eye is "expected to finish in time for January home games." Of course, the article mentions that and then says absolutely nothing about what they would do for games before then.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-193-245.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2006 01:31PM

DeltaOne81
Cornell's summe 2006 'Communique' features an article on the Lynah renovation. What caught my eye is "expected to finish in time for January home games." Of course, the article mentions that and then says absolutely nothing about what they would do for games before then.
I believe that the First Arena in Elmira is the frontrunner in hosting the early 06-07 home games. In February, the (at that time) General Manager of the First Arena said that they are holding 6 dates open for CU Hockey. Their policy is that, if they sign an agreement for those six dates, they will expect CU to pay the bill.....even if CU doesn't use the First Arena. For those who don't follow the circus (otherwise known as ownership of the Elmira Jackals & First Arena), it's very likely that the ownership will botch this opportunity to bring CU Hockey to Elmira. Stay tuned! We have to hope that the progress on Lynah remains ahead of schedule!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2006 04:33PM

DeltaOne81
The Spring 2006 hockey newsletter has the following in "Coach's Corner:" "The weather has cooperated in the construction efforts and we are all hoping to be able to play our first games this fall in Lynah. We are scheduled to move into the new locker rooms before the end of the year. The project is slated for completion in the spring of 2007 when landscaping is finished."

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: July 13, 2006 03:39PM

Haven't seen any new photos posted on the blog in two months. Surely something must be happening on the outside of Lynah that is photographable?

Date: July 13, 2006 04:39PM

Yeah, sorry. I've just been swamped this summer. Anyway, there's a new update on there right now. Enjoy.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-224.myvzw.com)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:28PM

What, no aerial view? Just kidding Age. Great pix. Has anyone been inside (to possibly provide description of the interior progress)?

Posted by: upperdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:00AM

just a note.. i was informed they will be making ice within the next 2 weeks. so they must be failry well along on the inside..

Date: August 11, 2006 09:14PM

We had running water in our guest bathroom room two months before it was suitable for use. But let's hope. It's incredible when any construction happens on time, more so when the government or academia is involved.

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: August 25, 2006 10:26AM

According to this article at CSTV, they're also adding a center-ice scoreboard. I don't remember seeing that in other descriptions of the renovations.

Four questions and a comment come to mind:

1. How is that even structurally possible without Pokulok, er, O'Byrne, er - aw crap, you know what I mean - bumping their heads?

2. why?

3. Why

4. WHY?

5. It had better not ever in a million national championship seaons, ever, ever freaking tell me to "Make Some Noise!" because I will jump into the rafters and go postal on its ass. That is all.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: August 25, 2006 10:28AM

[q]5. It had better not ever in a million national championship seaons, ever, ever freaking tell me to "Make Some Noise!" because I will jump into the rafters and go postal on its ass.[/q]

I could be very very wrong, but doesn't the current scoreboard do that?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 25, 2006 11:11AM

Jordan 04
[q]5. It had better not ever in a million national championship seaons, ever, ever freaking tell me to "Make Some Noise!" because I will jump into the rafters and go postal on its ass.[/q]

I could be very very wrong, but doesn't the current scoreboard do that?

Does it do it? Yes. Do they actually use that function? No.

You may be remembering when they got the new scoreboard, during the Red White game they used that a few times. Apparently they got some complaints (I don't know where I read that... on here? the Sun?) and their response basically was "we were just playing around with the new scoreboard and its features, sorry".

I'm surprised to hear about the new scoreboards, since they just replaced the end one a few years ago. And I have no idea how they'd get one in the center, unless its quite small and blocked by banners. But I'll withhold judgement until I see.

Posted by: A-ron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2006 08:25PM

I'm pretty sure the current score board is set to read "stomp" and then "em." On nights where pregame beverage consumption had taken place I remember sarcastically yelling "stomp" followed by "em" as the board falshed those words. I can't imagine it would be as bad as the Meadowlands where it flashes "make some noise" followed by an image of a noise meter with fake cheering piped in over the sound system.

...as long as this score board doesn't block my view of those banners, I don't really care.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2006 08:29PM

I just want to come here and defend BU fans. They are awesome. Loud and abrasive but absolutely believe in the spirit of "Keep it on the ice" that its so important. I'll take our Faithful any day, but B.U. has the second best group of fans that I've ever seen.

--- In the interest of full disclosure, my GF is a BU alum, but I've felt this way since that famous, to us, home and home series that happened a few years before I met her.

Date: August 28, 2006 03:20PM

It used to be a lot of fun watching games at Walter Brown, and the BU crowd was good, but I'll take Matthews and the NU faithful for pound-for-pound crowd intensity. The BC crowd is just as lame and inert as Harvard's. It's 60 times larger, but 60 x 0 is still 0.

Date: August 28, 2006 03:21PM

BTW, where is Age and where are the updates? I'm starting to worry...

Edit: not that I'm doing much better: [gregberge.blogspot.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 09:41PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 10:34PM

I had the pleasure of passing Lynah today. Besides the heavy machinery, scaffolding, building materials, large holes in the ground, and fact that there are chunks of arena missing... I'd say we're pretty close to being done with renovations.

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation Blog - today's Sun
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 10:44PM

*crosses fingers*

[www.cornelldailysun.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 11:49PM

Sun's website is down. Can you fill us in?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:58AM

Beeeej

They hope the ice will be in by Sept. 11th. They expect Lynah to be ready to host the Red-White game on Oct. 15, but no promises. Those were the two big highlights of the article.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 02:05AM

redhair34
Beeeej

They hope the ice will be in by Sept. 11th. They expect Lynah to be ready to host the Red-White game on Oct. 15, but no promises. Those were the two big highlights of the article.

Also some more descriptive details of the rennovations. The seats on the West end "mezzanine" actually sounded cool, and the center-ice scoreboard was described as being smaller than the current scoreboard.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 11:00AM

RichH

Also some more descriptive details of the rennovations. The seats on the West end "mezzanine" actually sounded cool, and the center-ice scoreboard was described as being smaller than the current scoreboard.

The current scoreboard is being moved to hang off the mezzanine (I hadn't realized there would be one!), thus the need for the center ice board for those who won't be able to see the current one.

Date: September 08, 2006 10:42AM

Liz '05
the mezzanine (I hadn't realized there would be one!)

The initial plan had no seating on the open end. True? The pdf now clearly designates "platform seating": [www.lynahrink.com]

Presumably they aren't going to have an overhang, like they do (did?) at Northeastern and Union. Tough visiting goaltender gig if they did. B-]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 10:45AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: aoop7 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 08, 2006 01:01PM

I have seen it and it is an overhang. It actually looks like an industrial steel catwalk (bright red if I remember correctly). My biggest question is about the new seating in sections A-E. When I was walking around, it really seemed as though traffic will be completely cutoff at the top of A-E. Anyway, the tunnel is looking good.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login