Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Mascaro opens his trap again

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Mascaro opens his trap again
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:45PM

From [www.cornellsun.com]

4. For better or for worse, what you are most (in)famous for as Sun Sports Editor was your final column of the 2005 fall semester, in which you threw our hockey fans down a flight of stairs. You said they were "lame" and had "no lives."
I might have said "assholes." Who knows?
Right. I think some of us saw where you were going with it, but more than anything else we feared for your life. I was convinced you'd be assassinated at the next home game.
You know what it is? And I wrote this in the article, but I have nothing but respect for the hockey team. Hockey is great. The team is great.
You've covered them for years.
Absolutely. And I think the fans have the right to cheer and whatever, but I think they go a little overboard, and I'm sticking with what I said. Most of them are pretty weak, overall.
We were waiting for the cowbell guy to use your head instead of his usual bell.
I think rather than spending 10 hours a day on the eLynah forum, they should get out and have a beer or something. That's what I think.
It's nice to hear you sticking to your guns, because a lot of people would take this opportunity to recant. But not you.
Hey, I'll be there at all the ECAC games this weekend. So if they want to cheer or bitch or whatever, so be it. I'll be there.
Did you get any flak from the team? Did people come up to you and spit in your face or anything? Because the online feedback to your column shorted out the server.
I didn't get anything from the players. I heard some people grumbling about it, but nothing really. I kind of laid low, though. I skipped that last weekend of games before break.
That might have been a good move. I think someone made T-shirts.
I feel like there might have been a cheer. I feel like there may or may not have been some "Mascaro Sucks!" shirts floating around.
May or may not?
Yeah, I heard a lot of different things.
Reports vary.
I think things have kind of died down now. But this will probably bring it all back into the light.
That's what I'm here for.
Yeah, go into the playoffs with a bang, as they say.

Some other funny stuff in there as well. Worth taking 3 minutes off your life.

Kyle

Re: Mascaro opens his trap again
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:53PM

He's an ass and he's not worth it. Don't give him any attention.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:02PM

Nice to see the Sun is so void of real stories they have to interview each other.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:32PM

I generally like that guy's "10 questions" interviews. It is sad to see him choose to interview Mascaro, though.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:22PM

ebilmes
I generally like that guy's "10 questions" interviews. It is sad to see him choose to interview Mascaro, though.
Well, he is a Cornell (lightweight) football (self-admittedly poor) player.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:37PM

"Mascaro is an embarassment to the tradition of Sun sports editors." - Sports editor '78

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:21AM

ebilmes
"Mascaro is an embarassment to the tradition of Sun sports editors." - Sports editor '78
...and Sun sports editors suck! Oh wait, that's for Harvard. Nevermind.

Posted by: Whatever (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 02:28AM

I think it's pretty funny. It is true that we shouldn't sit and read eLynah for 10 hours a day. We are a little too obsessed, me included.

Don't take offense boys, he's just doing it to get us riled up. And you guys are getting riled up.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:13PM

I would agree, but I also would like to say how much I enjoy the "10 Questions" section. I still remember the first time I read it, and actually tried to count the questions. I stopped at 35... screwy

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:21PM

What a terrible article. First of all, I can't believe how much he rips on Olivia (new sports editor). At the risk of sounding like a crazy feminist, I can't believe there was discussion of her not being a good choice just because she's female.

And second... he plays sprint football and then says that we're wasting our time reading eLynah? ;-)

I can't believe this guy was ever our sports editor.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:23PM

On the other hand, there's an excellent op-ed piece on the Opinion page today. While it doesn't explicitly cover sports or hockey, many of the author's points apply to those coverages as well.

Find it here: [media.www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:27PM

Chris Mascaro
I think rather than spending 10 hours a day on the eLynah forum, they [fans] should get out and have a beer or something. That's what I think.
Hmmph! Does having it running in a background window 14 hours a day count?

Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:39PM

las224
What a terrible article. First of all, I can't believe how much he rips on Olivia (new sports editor). At the risk of sounding like a crazy feminist, I can't believe there was discussion of her not being a good choice just because she's female.

And second... he plays sprint football and then says that we're wasting our time reading eLynah? ;-)

I'm pretty sure he was just joking around about that, at least thats the impression I got. You know, making the typical "Gasp" a girl covering sports joke.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:48PM

Whatever
Don't take offense boys, he's just doing it to get us riled up. And you guys are getting riled up.

Oh, good... so the Sun sports editor is using the sports section as his own personal way to troll Cornell sports fans. Yeah, that's appropriate.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:33PM

BigRedBrouhaha
las224

I'm pretty sure he was just joking around about that, at least thats the impression I got. You know, making the typical "Gasp" a girl covering sports joke.

He definitely was. First of all, her position was uncontested, so there really wasn't any discussion at all. In her election speech, even she jokingly brought up that she's a girl as a point of concern. Olivia is quite well respected among staff and editors (Chris included), don't worry.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 10, 2006 03:26PM

DeltaOne81
Whatever

Oh, good... so the Sun sports editor is using the sports section as his own personal way to troll Cornell sports fans. Yeah, that's appropriate.

And if you've ever known a Sun editor, you know they should be the last people saying others have no life.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 05:25PM

eLynah is hardly inconsistent with beer consumption.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login