Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Best/Favorite Cheers

Posted by ebilmes 
Best/Favorite Cheers
Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:48PM

We all love our extensive collection of cheers [www.elynah.com] from which we can draw throughout each game and perform with impressive unity and volume. However, what has impressed me most about the Faithful is our ability to invent spontaneous cheers directed at certain teams, their players, or their fans. As we have a little while before the next game, I think it would be fun to reminisce about the favorite taunts, cheers, or chants that we can remember.

Personally, I most enjoyed the "Our Team's Sleeping" chant from Albany and the "Forgive me, Father, for I'm a sieve" from the Notre Dame game in Florida.

Re: Best/Favorite Cheers
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:54PM

my favorite was, and still is "Steve wears pink socks *clap clap clap*"

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:57PM

"Which team is the third place team?"...

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:05PM

My favorite: 1984 or 85 ECAC tournament in Boston. RPI's goofy-looking mascot is skating on the ice during intermissions. I'm sitting there thinking to myself: "what the f__K is that?" Then I hear someone in my row say: "what the f__k is that?" Immediately followed by a chorus of many chanting: "what the f__k is that?" I wouldn't want to hear that kind of language on a steady basis. But, the spontaneity coupled with my own personal thoughts, made it very funny for me. Priceless!!

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:22PM

4 point weekend, 4 point season?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 10:14PM

Spontaneity was rare at times this year.

There was a good "pull your pants up" for Dekanich, whose pants were inexplicably falling down all game.

And MVP for Devine after the goal that he kicked in was a lot of fun.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 10:22PM

They've been mentioned recently, but gotta give the shout-out again too:

"Our team's sleeping" clap clap clap-clap-clap

and

"Hey Harvard... all six of your jerk fans called! They said... YOU SUCK!"

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 10:29PM

BALD! BALD! BALD! was my favoriet this year.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 01, 2006 11:38PM

"We get to leave! We get to leave!"

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:07AM

I liked "Doesn't matter!" from the consolation game last year. The "Yes you can" after Union's pathetic "We can't hear you" this past weekend was also pretty funny. :)

But my favorite chant is still, of course, the "It's all your fault!" chant: it's the one I like to hear the most.

Kyle

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:55AM

"And 3 points is a field goal. Field goal school...field goal school...."

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 02, 2006 02:17AM

Ack

God their cheers sucked something awful.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:15AM

redice
My favorite: 1984 or 85 ECAC tournament in Boston. RPI's goofy-looking mascot is skating on the ice during intermissions. I'm sitting there thinking to myself: "what the f__K is that?" Then I hear someone in my row say: "what the f__k is that?" Immediately followed by a chorus of many chanting: "what the f__k is that?" I wouldn't want to hear that kind of language on a steady basis. But, the spontaneity coupled with my own personal thoughts, made it very funny for me. Priceless!!
And who won the ECAC tournament in both of those years? :-}

Just for the record, that was The Swarm. It was supposed to look like a bee.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:30AM

ursaminor
redice

Oh, that reminds me of this: There was also the unfortunate period of time when RPI decided to try "Redhawks" as their nickname/mascot and had some horrible bird costume. It was so hated that the RPI fans joined in with the Clarkson fans with a "KFC! KFC!" chant.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:34AM

RichH
ursaminor
redice

Oh, that reminds me of this: There was also the unfortunate period of time when RPI decided to try "Redhawks" as their nickname/mascot and had some horrible bird costume. It was so hated that the RPI fans joined in with the Clarkson fans with a "KFC! KFC!" chant.

I'm trying to decide if I'm ashamed for RPI (and I have no reason to be) for its series of bad mascots, or if I'm sorry I missed it. I'm leaning towards the latter...:-}

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:14AM

At least they have a mascot.

Date: March 02, 2006 10:39AM

FWIW, RPI's baseball team and others use "the chicken" as a mascot and call themselves the Redhawks. At some point, each team voted as to weather they should be Engineers or Redhawks. Thankfully, the hockey team kept Engineers as the nickname. (Clearly, this is because so few of the players major in engineering. rolleyes ) As additional trivia, through the 1950's or so, the nickname Bachelors was also used.

Date: March 02, 2006 12:11PM

Ack

Didn't we have this in Rochester: "Three points is a field goal. Two points is a safety. Safety school...safety school..."

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.116.110.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:15PM

ebilmes
Ack

Didn't we have this in Rochester: "Three points is a field goal. Two points is a safety. Safety school...safety school..."

The harvard band did that at bright this year. It was pretty funny when two safeties beat a field goal.

Posted by: A-ron (---.kpf.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:24PM

During the "Our team's sleeping" cheer, I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing an assistant coach from whichever team bench was closest look up at us and start laughing...it's good to know we're both heard and appreciated!

I also remember some of us impatient ones chanting towards the end of that game "we need beer, we need beer..."

I believe it was one or two years before that at Albany when a hard check kbroke one of the fasteners at the top of the glass in the corner. The refs didn't notice so we started chanting "Fix the glass..." Once enough people joined in, the refs heard us and stopped the game to fix it. Again, good to know we're heard.

Date: March 02, 2006 01:28PM

During last year's consolation game, there was a point when Silverthorn's net was knocked loose. The ref was clearly having trouble fixing it, so someone in back of me shouted, "Steve, this is why we can't have nice things!" The ref looked over and smiled.

Posted by: Bio '04 (146.186.37.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:33PM

For the Harvard at Cornell game in November 2004, I really liked the "This is section A!" chant that was started in section O.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:53PM

Your coach beats you

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:34PM

haha. Yes, I remember. Are you talking about Army, because we did that one for them too.

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:35PM

RichH
ursaminor
redice

Does Colgate still have the "maroon prune?" Or did it take its own life?

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-192-50.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:22PM

ursaminor
redice

For 20+ years, I've wondered: "What the f__k was that?" I've always known it looked like a bee. Now I know its name: The Swarm. I'll sleep better tonight! :-D

Posted by: Trigger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:31PM

I also recall a regional against UNH back in 2001 or 2002 when some girls with signs were out of order, spelling UHN, and our crowd began the UHN chant. No one from UNH understood, which made it even funnier.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:34PM

RichH
ursaminor
redice

The Cornell fans at Troy, for two years in a row used:

"Warm up the Grill" to greet the "Redhawk". The Redhawk in a fine spirit of self-deprecation responded with his (or her) hands on hips in mock disgust.

And while on the topic of RIP mascosts - how the hell does one bee qualify as a swarm screwy ?

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:16PM

Or..."your coach beats the other team."

Date: March 02, 2006 06:20PM

Trigger
I also recall a regional against UNH back in 2001 or 2002 when some girls with signs were out of order, spelling UHN, and our crowd began the UHN chant. No one from UNH understood, which made it even funnier.

I think I remember this being 2002 in Worcester.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:24PM

It was. And after they finally realized their error, and there was a moment quiet enough, I turned back again and shouted, "Did you get three credits for that?" Much laughter ensued. :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:46PM

I finally figured out why many of you refer to this school as UHN! doh

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:44PM

easy...that's the Math that's used at RPI. :-}

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:16PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. I can't say it's my favorite impromptu cheer, but the first time we chanted "We want Weder" when he wasn't even in the rink was pretty classic. Someone refresh my memory, please...did we do this against Colgate, the next year, after he had graduated, or was it against some other opponent sooner than that? I tried to find this out on my own, by looking for "The Ballad of Matt Weder", as suggested in the FAQ, but couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Andy W.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:00PM

andyw2100
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. I can't say it's my favorite impromptu cheer, but the first time we chanted "We want Weder" when he wasn't even in the rink was pretty classic. Someone refresh my memory, please...did we do this against Colgate, the next year, after he had graduated, or was it against some other opponent sooner than that? I tried to find this out on my own, by looking for "The Ballad of Matt Weder", as suggested in the FAQ, but couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Andy W.
Heh...I'm surprised my ISP from two moves ago still has it up, but here ya go:

[home.stny.rr.com]

Date: March 02, 2006 10:08PM

RichH
Heh...I'm surprised my ISP from two moves ago still has it up, but here ya go:

[home.stny.rr.com]

That's priceless. woot

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:12PM

andyw2100
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. I can't say it's my favorite impromptu cheer, but the first time we chanted "We want Weder" when he wasn't even in the rink was pretty classic. Someone refresh my memory, please...did we do this against Colgate, the next year, after he had graduated, or was it against some other opponent sooner than that?

It was against Clarkson in the very next game:

[www.amurgsval.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:20PM

andyw2100

Thanks.
Andy W.

To actually answer your question, the first time "We want Weder" was started against an opponent other than Colgate was during that '96 streak down the stretch (as JTW91 referenced). It wasn't that funny, but it happened. It wasn't until after the playoffs when the chant really meant something. So pretty much all through '96-'97 at home vs. weaker opponents did that catch on fiercely. There was a game vs. Colgate around 1998 (I think) when I heard that he or his parents were in the crowd that he was very very amused or annoyed that we were still doing it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2006 10:23PM by RichH.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:47PM

Thanks Rich and John.

It --was-- the Lake Placid "We Want Weder" that I recall as, at least to me, being the funniest, because of the irony. When I posted above, I remembered being really amused, and remembered why (the fact that Weder wasn't there), but had just forgotten the location, and the exact circumstances.

Thanks.
Andy W.

Date: March 03, 2006 05:24AM

marty
RichH
ursaminor
redice

The Cornell fans at Troy, for two years in a row used:

"Warm up the Grill" to greet the "Redhawk". The Redhawk in a fine spirit of self-deprecation responded with his (or her) hands on hips in mock disgust.

And while on the topic of RIP mascosts - how the hell does one bee qualify as a swarm screwy ?
Well, it was a rather big bee. rolleyes I have a vague recollection, which I wasn't able to substantiate by Googling, that The Swarm originated with the football team, as in "swarming defense".

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:13AM

During the '81 ECAC consy at The Garden the entire Cornell section started the "It just doesn't matter!" cheer. That was one of the first times I had a hard time cheering because I was laughing so much.

"Our team's sleeping!" was definitely another one.

Posted by: Jim (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 09:51AM

Just an individual cheer, but yelling out "raise your hand if_______" when the ref raises his hand before faceoffs is fun. I prefer to yell "raise your hand if your wife beats you."

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:09PM

I liked this story that Angry "A" posted a few years ago about when the fans at Brown mispronounced Bâby's name:

All I'm saying is that the enthusiasm at Lynah is obviously fantastic, both opposing coaches mentioned it after their games this weekend. Let's just try to be a little more intelligent. If anyone remembers, I think it was two years ago that we played at Brown and our band couldn't make it. This meant the situtaion was ripe for multiple Lynah chants, along with impromptu ones. My favorite fo these was after the small Brown fan section began yelling out Bâby's name with the an incorrect pronunciation. I screamed out, "It's pronounced B[ah]by, there's a circumflex over the 'a.'" From the faithful behind me I suddenly heard "circumflex, circumflex, circumflex..." I've never felt more proud of the faithful. I use that story to help explain what it's like to be a Cornell hockey fan.

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:36PM

then there is always the infamous "fatty ate waldo" cheer after the 'gate band referenced suicides....right after one had happened...a lot of people were upset about the fatty ate waldo cheer...not sure who started it...

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 11:09PM

I always remember fondly '97 Lake Placid. Vermont had been heavily favored to win the league (Perrin & St. Louis's senior year), but they couldn't pull it together, finished 3rd, and lost their QF series at home to Princeton. Many UVM fans had already bought tickets to Lake Placid, and were there making a nuisance of themselves. One guy in particular ("The Fat Guy Sucks!";) directed so much vitriol at the Cornell fans that he got himself kicked out of the arena.

But I digress. Anyway, there was enough bad blood going that Cornell fans started a "Where is Vermont?" cheer and, even better, as Clarkson was destroying Princeton 5-1, "Princeton beat Vermont!"

You just have to love using one team's misfortune against another to bludgeon yet a third team...:-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2006 12:07AM by Robb.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 02:17AM

Robb
I always remember fondly '97 Lake Placid. Vermont had been heavily favored to win the league (Perrin & St. Louis's senior year), but they couldn't pull it together, finished 3rd, and lost their QF series at home to Princeton. Many UVM fans had already bought tickets to Lake Placid, and were there making a nuisance of themselves. One guy in particular ("The Fat Guy Sucks!";) directed so much vitriol at the Cornell fans that he got himself kicked out of the arena.

But I digress. Anyway, there was enough bad blood going that Cornell fans started a "Where is Vermont?" cheer and, even better, as Clarkson was destroying Princeton 5-1, "Princeton beat Vermont!"

You just have to love using one team's misfortune against another to bludgeon yet a third team...:-D
Thanks for reminding me, it was classic.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 03:39AM

Oh, there was a great amount of hate directed towards Vermont in the 1996 and 1997 seasons, both because of Tim Thomas's generally annoying arrogance and the Catamount fans' dogged representation of the underclass of ECAC hockey fandom. Their cowbell, married to the "Go, Cats, go!"; their pathetic amplified band; the beer guts and woodchuck behavior: everything brought the hate. Vermont fans seemed to think that those two seasons were going to be their "party time," and there was nothing better than seeing UVM fall flat on its tiny-little-midget rumps.

For details, see [www.amurgsval.org], for JTW's report on the finals that year. I remember a "con-so-la-tion" chant directed towards the Vermont fans after the first game as well. It's always been one of my favorites, but "Which team is the third place team?" has to take the blue ribbon for sheer cruelty. I like cruel cheers.

One of the great disappointments of my hockey-watching life was the loss to Lake State in '96, robbing us of the opportunity to shut the Vermont fans up for good and make the Frozen Four. I firmly, firmly believe that we would have one that sadly unplayed game.

p.s. I have to attach a belated, hearty second for the sequence of "Long ride home!" with either "We get to leave!" or "You have to stay!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login