Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Throwing Objects

Posted by cth95 
Throwing Objects
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 01:55PM

Colgate fans should take note of this article. I am glad our tradition is of throwing fish BEFORE the game and not during it. Let's hope all of our fans continue to respect that distinction.

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Throwing Objects
Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:13PM

cth95
Colgate fans should take note of this article. I am glad our tradition is of throwing fish BEFORE the game and not during it. Let's hope all of our fans continue to respect that distinction.

[www.uscho.com]

And Union
[www.rpihockey.net]

And Dartmouth
[athletics.dartmouth.edu]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:22PM

cth95

We shouldn't be too smug, as the practice of not throwing fish during the game is relatively recent. The situation cited in the article is very reminiscent of the infamous Feb. 1995 game at Lynah against Harvard, in which a fish came sailing out of the stands near the end of the first intermission, the minor was called, the Crimson scored on the ensuing power play, and won the game by one.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:25PM

fenwick
cth95

We shouldn't be too smug, as the practice of not throwing fish during the game is relatively recent. The situation cited in the article is very reminiscent of the infamous Feb. 1995 game at Lynah against Harvard, in which a fish came sailing out of the stands near the end of the first intermission, the minor was called, the Crimson scored on the ensuing power play, and won the game by one.

Although that was already long after the tradition had been switched from after the first goal to before the first period.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 01, 2006 02:42PM

I am not being smug. My point is that we continue to successfully walk a fine line, and we are fortunate that it has been over 10 years since some dumbass screwed it up.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 03:30PM

Although obviously we never want to see anyone "Be That Guy" ever again at Fish N Fowl, I have to say I wouldn't have called the bagel penalty. Not in a deciding playoff game.

If trash had come raining down from the stands after a warning, maybe. But even then, I would have been tempted to just clear the stands -- give the entire crowd a 10 minute misconduct.

Thinking about it, an actual misconduct is the way to handle it under all circumstances. Make one of the home team players on the ice at the time of the infraction sit out for 10 minutes, but no man advantage. You make the point, you cost the home team something, but you don't fuck the game up for the players just because some freshman facetimer decided to make an ass of himself.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2006 04:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 01, 2006 04:37PM

That sounds like a good compromise. I doubt it has ever been done if it is not in the rule book, though. Is there any room for flexibility like this in the rulebook?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:12PM

The door monitors at the RIP at Onion game this year made all of us (even old farts like myself) take off our jackets in an attempt to look for oranges (& onions:-D ). They were essentially successful as the only oranges thrown were three or four at the end of the game.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 11:18PM

i actually got tossed from a game and suspended from going to see Union games for a little while for tossing an orange on the ice back when it was a widely observed tradition. It would actually be nice to see the Orange thing restarted at the beginning of the game where it should be. The sight of hundreds of oranges arcing through air on the way to the ice was fantastic.

Based on the lack of organized fan support this weekend, it seems unlikely that this will happen any time in the near future, but i will continue to hope.

-WillR

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:43PM

Who says it's only freshmen who do such asinine things like throw anything onto the ice?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:45PM

WillR
The sight of hundreds of oranges arcing through air on the way to the ice was fantastic.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was at Bright, of all places, when they coordinated the launching of hundreds... possibly thousands... of crimson tennis balls after their first goal in a game in the early 80's. The air was so thick with them you couldn't see the opposite side of the building.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:25PM

WillR
Based on the lack of organized fan support this weekend, it seems unlikely that this will happen any time in the near future, but i will continue to hope.

idea Chuck-a-Puck!! barf

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:09PM

Next year at Union I'm bringing an onion to throw on the ice at Chuck a Puck. They won't notice me throwing an onion in the midst of all that throwing pucks.

Props to Chris for suggesting this at the game last weekend.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:27PM

las224
Next year at Union I'm bringing an onion to throw on the ice at Chuck a Puck. They won't notice me throwing an onion in the midst of all that throwing pucks.

Props to Chris for suggesting this at the game last weekend.

Minor warning, they don't do chuck-a-puck at every game. Not that I don't like the Onion idea (though it will be very much over the heads of 99.9% of the Onion fans)....

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 10:46PM

You'd need a new rule.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 11:33PM

why oranges?

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 07, 2006 12:31AM

A-19
why oranges?

It helps fight off the scurvy so omnipresent in the Albany area.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:18AM

A-19
why oranges?

When i was at Union i was told Hamilton threw them against Union so we did the same against them. A standard tit fot tat kind of thing. When Union went D1 someone had to take Hamilton's place and logically enough it was the cross town rival at RPI. I don't even recall any discussion, it was basically that we need to throw oranges at a hockey game and RPI was clearly the most deserving of it.

Of course a better question of why Hamilton threw oranges at union is something i don't know.

-WillR

Date: March 07, 2006 11:24AM

[spec.hamilton.edu]

Merit and future of Citrus Bowl debated at SA
By Laura Barry Nov. 04, 2005
Student Assembly (SA) is currently in the process of determining the fate of the Citrus Bowl, known in recent years as the Orange Bowl. SA debated what, if any, activities it would fund or endorse at their meeting on Monday. The debate will continue this coming Monday, when SA President Michael Blasie '07 believes SA will finish debate and vote on the future of the Hamilton tradition. SA has set aside $3,000 to fund t-shirts and freebies such as noise makers or inflatable hockey sticks, to distribute at the November 18 game.

The Citrus Bowl is a long standing Hamilton tradition that takes place at the first men's hockey home game of the season. For years, fans pelted the opponent's goalie with tennis balls and oranges after Hamilton's first goal. Although no one seems to remember when the tradition started, the tradition continued to be strongly supported until a controversial game on November 18, 1994 against Wesleyan, and its status as a tradition in the Hamilton community has remained precarious ever since.

Instead of throwing the traditional tennis balls and oranges, fans threw live and dead mice, an inflatable African-American doll, sausage, various species of fish, and hundreds of pieces of fruit. It took five people and a 10 minute interruption to clear all the debris off the ice. The controversial story made national news, even being covered by Sports Illustrated. It was not the type of publicity, however, that Hamilton College wanted to generate. The danger to the players on the ice, as well as the racist and sexist implications concerning the inflatable African-American doll, led former President Eugene Tobin to ban spectators from the next home game against Hobart College.

The Citrus Bowl tradition continued until two years ago when it was renamed the Orange Bowl and students were no longer allowed to throw oranges on the ice. T-shirts and other paraphernalia have been funded by SA for the last two years as an incentive to refrain from throwing objects. Since the creation of the Orange Bowl, the Athletic Department and Campus Safety have been cracking down on the Citrus Bowl tradition by locking the doors when too many students come in and confiscating certain objects students bring in.

The Citrus Bowl, a student tradition that never received official endorsement from the College, was brought to an end officially because of the NCAA ruling that no objects could be thrown on the ice without a penalty to the team and difficulties scheduling an opponent.

Athletic Director David Thompson declared that the Citrus Bowl exhibited Hamilton College's inhospitality to visiting teams, since teams were invited to play and then were accosted by fans. Since he has been coaching at Hamilton, he has believed "it had never been a positive thing, [and] it got to the point where it was really out of control."

There was also the threat of being thrown out of the league, and the dangerous repercussions of a player possibly having a serious debilitating injury from an object thrown or possible objects staying on the ice after cleaning. As Thomson stated, "all you need is one seed."

Blythe Winchester '08, co-chair and founder of the Social Traditions Committee, believes "it is extremely important to continue the tradition anyway that we can." The Social Traditions Committee has come up with several solutions to the problem; however, a compromise has not yet been reached at SA.

Some representatives in SA, however, are concerned with funding the Orange Bowl because they believe it is an event for only one sports team and is gender biased because it only supports the men's hockey team.

Gus Katsuras, Captain of the men's hockey team, asserts that the Orange Bowl is a tradition that all Hamilton students can participate in and the Student Assembly is not funding the men's hockey team, but the tradition.

Many suggestions have been put forward to SA; one suggestion is to turn the Buff and Blue game, traditionally a scrimmage between the Hamilton hockey players, into the Citrus Bowl. There would be a trophy at the end for the team that won and fans could throw oranges at the team which let in a goal first.

Katsuras and teammate Gabe tash '06 attended last Monday's SA meeting and said they did not like this idea because they did not want oranges thrown at them.

The hockey team provided SA with another suggestion, which was for spectators to buy orange nerf balls that could be thrown over the nets when Hamilton scored its first goal; the money would be donated to a charity. The nerf ball idea would, as Katsuras declared, "provide an incentive for students to maintain the tradition." The plausibility of this idea was a point of contention at the meeting, considering that the NCAA does not allow anything to be thrown on the ice.

"The nerf ball idea is very creative, but I don't believe that Athletics is going to tolerate any objects thrown onto the ice," Blasie said.

Another suggestion was the option of a pep rally, which would be at the Field House and would recognize all winter sports. The pep rally could work in conjunction with the Orange Bowl or alone.

SA will finish its debate on Monday and come to a conclusion. One thing, Blasie said, that all could agree on is that everyone sees the value in an event like the Orange or Citrus Bowl.

"If I had to generalize, I think that everyone likes the environment that the Orange Bowl has had ᅵ the type of energy and excitement. But it's a question of the Assembly's involvement in that," he said. "It's great to be there, and I think everyone would love the support and unity that comes from it."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:28AM

Trotsky
*snip*

Blythe Winchester '08, co-chair and founder of the Social Traditions Committee, believes "it is extremely important to continue the tradition anyway that we can." The Social Traditions Committee has come up with several solutions to the problem; however, a compromise has not yet been reached at SA.

*snip*
Wouldn't you figure someone named "Blythe Winchester" would go to Harvard?

Date: March 07, 2006 11:31AM

jmh30
Trotsky
*snip*

*snip*
Wouldn't you figure someone named "Blythe Winchester" would go to Harvard?

Ethan Philpott has no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 04:53PM

As a Hamilton graduate, I can tell you that the orange throwing tradition is completely different than others involving flying objects onto the ice. It happened as the first Hamilton goal of the game is scored, first of all (although at least once during my time there, no such goal occurred). Also, once the oranges were thrown, 90% of the students always left. (That is not an exaggeration. Of course, when less than 100 students show up in the first place, it becomes less of a big deal.) It's too bad because they're usually a competitive team (albeit D-3).
It's also too bad to see the tradition end, but I guess oranges are a bit more dangerous than things like Big Red gum.
OK, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 08:08PM

cth95
From [url
http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12134/TimeForThisTraditionToEnd.html[/url] ] The ridiculous tradition of throwing predefined objects onto the ice at symbolic moments of a college hockey game finally had a major impact in a key playoff contest last weekend. It is time to end this absurdity once and for all.
I read that first sentence a couple times and wondered: Does the scribe perhaps mean "previously chosen"?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 12:22AM

Trotsky
WillR
The sight of hundreds of oranges arcing through air on the way to the ice was fantastic.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was at Bright, of all places, when they coordinated the launching of hundreds... possibly thousands... of crimson tennis balls after their first goal in a game in the early 80's.
That must have been a sight. Six people carrying in HUNDREDS of tennis balls each.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:40AM

Karlmoose
Also, once the oranges were thrown, 90% of the students always left.

Wow, so it's like a combination of the worst features of Union and RPI fans. rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:55AM

perhaps we should throw "nerf fish"rolleyes

Date: March 08, 2006 12:23PM

Trotsky
Many suggestions have been put forward to SA; one suggestion is to turn the Buff and Blue game, traditionally a scrimmage between the Hamilton hockey players, into the Citrus Bowl. There would be a trophy at the end for the team that won and fans could throw oranges at the team which let in a goal first.

Oh, that's much better... throw the objects at YOUR OWN team!

Katsuras and teammate Gabe tash '06 attended last Monday's SA meeting and said they did not like this idea because they did not want oranges thrown at them.

Good, the voice of reason. Thankfully the players, at least, have functioning brain cells...

Date: March 08, 2006 12:27PM

Trotsky
One of the coolest things I ever saw was at Bright, of all places, when they coordinated the launching of hundreds... possibly thousands... of crimson tennis balls after their first goal in a game in the early 80's. The air was so thick with them you couldn't see the opposite side of the building.

I don't know whether this was a one-time thing or not, although it probably was. I do remember one occasion when a few Crimson fans took it upon themselves to add a full can of beer and a wine bottle to their tossing repertoire. Oh wait, that was at the END of the game...

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 08, 2006 04:10PM

fenwick
Trotsky

I don't know whether this was a one-time thing or not, although it probably was. I do remember one occasion when a few Crimson fans took it upon themselves to add a full can of beer and a wine bottle to their tossing repertoire. Oh wait, that was at the END of the game...

A wine bottle? In their mind they must have been thinking how this made them much classier than the fish throwing crowd.

I do wonder if they went with a white that would really compliment the fish.

-WillR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login