Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Skills Challenge Participants Announced

Posted by Chris 02 
NCAA Skills Challenge Participants Announced
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:12AM

[www.uscho.com]

Moulson on the east team.

Re: NCAA Skills Challenge Participants Announced
Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:27AM

The two goaltenders will be John Daigneau of Harvard University...

If there is a strong contingent of Faithful in the stands, this could be the most entertaining skills competition in history :-D

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:33AM

Is there a good reason that only players with no remaining NCAA eligibility are invited? snore

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:34AM

Maybe they're paid to appear?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 10:12AM

nyc94
Is there a good reason that only players with no remaining NCAA eligibility are invited? snore

That is one of the criteria. They also can't be on a team that is participating in the frozen four, so Moulson's selection means they don't really expect us to get there.

Date: March 08, 2006 10:14AM

Jacob '06
nyc94

That is one of the criteria. They also can't be on a team that is participating in the frozen four, so Moulson's selection means they don't really expect us to get there.

Yes, I see that that is one of the criteria. What I want to know is why.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 10:33AM

I plan on being there and am praying and knocking on wood that Moulson is "otherwise busy" Go BIG RED ! :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:10AM

nyc94
Jacob '06
nyc94

Yes, I see that that is one of the criteria. What I want to know is why.
NC$$ rules prohibit athletes from performing in post-season All Star games or contests of this type. Since a player who has exhausted his eligibility is no longer covered by NC$$ rules he can participate. Think of all of the senior-only All-Star games in college football.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:30AM

Jordan 04
If there is a strong contingent of Faithful in the stands, this could be the most entertaining skills competition in history :-D

I don't see how it couldn't be the most (or least) entertaining skills competition in history...

Date: March 08, 2006 11:32AM

KeithK
NC$$ rules prohibit athletes from performing in post-season All Star games or contests of this type. Since a player who has exhausted his eligibility is no longer covered by NC$$ rules he can participate. Think of all of the senior-only All-Star games in college football.

Fair enough but it seems odd to enforce this rule at the Frozen Four. I can't figure out if this is an NCAA event or is being sponsored by another organization (much like the football games you mentioned). That the advertisement for tickets on USCHO refers to the event as the NCAA Frozen Four Skills Challenge and uses their logos makes me think that this is an NCAA event and that they could allow all players to participate if they chose to.

Date: March 08, 2006 11:41AM

nyc94
Fair enough but it seems odd to enforce this rule at the Frozen Four. I can't figure out if this is an NCAA event or is being sponsored by another organization (much like the football games you mentioned). That the advertisement for tickets on USCHO refers to the event as the NCAA Frozen Four Skills Challenge and uses their logos makes me think that this is an NCAA event and that they could allow all players to participate if they chose to.
If it is a sanctioned event then presumably hey could waive the rule. But I think it's a hard and fast rule that the NC$$ will not break. Then again, why should they? There are plenty of talented seniors to chose from for an event like this and everyone gets a chance to be eligible eventually. Well, those who go pro early don't, but that's one of the (very minor) tradeoffs coming with a pro contract.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: March 08, 2006 01:34PM

Jacob '06
They also can't be on a team that is participating in the frozen four, so Moulson's selection means they don't really expect us to get there.

I don't understand why voting for someone to be on the skills team means that their team isn't expected to make it to the Frozen Four. On the West team, there is someone named from Wisconsin (Adam Burish), a team which I'm sure a bunch of people expect to make the Frozen Four.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 08, 2006 01:38PM

Bio '04
Jacob '06
They also can't be on a team that is participating in the frozen four, so Moulson's selection means they don't really expect us to get there.

I don't understand why voting for someone to be on the skills team means that their team isn't expected to make it to the Frozen Four. On the West team, there is someone named from Wisconsin (Adam Burish), a team which I'm sure a bunch of people expect to make the Frozen Four.

Chris Collins was announced to be on the team when BC was the number 1 ranked team in the country.

Posted by: action jackson (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 08, 2006 02:21PM

I'm thinking that there are probably alternate players who they did not announce who will take any players whose teams make the frozen four. there are a lot of good players from good hockey teams, including Moulson, so they can't honestly expect none of them to make it. And even if they did...let's get on a roll and prove them wrong!

Let's Go Red!!!

Date: March 08, 2006 04:17PM

Bio '04
Jacob '06

I think this is supposition that follows from the requirement that a player no longer be eligible to play in NC$$ games. Since the competition is on Friday of FF weekend a player from a team that is in the championship game will still have one game of college eligibility left and possibly would not be able to play. Then again, maybe not - we may see on the 7th depending on which teams make the final.

The other question is would a coach allow one of his players to particpate in a meaningless skills exhibition the day before the national championship game? I'd be hesitant, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 04:27PM

action jackson
I'm thinking that there are probably alternate players who they did not announce ...
The article does include alternates (lots of them). Here's the male East list:
[q]The East male alternates in alphabetical order are: Adam Dann, Bowdoin College; Torry Gajda, Providence; Josh Gartner, Yale; Ben Kemp, Plattsburgh State University; Andrew Martin, University of Massachuetts, Lowell; Keith McWilliams, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Mike Ouellette, Dartmouth College; Tony Quesada, College of the Holy Cross; Bryan Schmidt, Merrimack College; Kyle Wilson, Colgate University; Kurt Wright, Robert Morris University; Brian Yandle, New Hampshire.[/q]

Posted by: Bio '04 (69.162.22.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 06:02PM

KeithK
I think this is supposition that follows from the requirement that a player no longer be eligible to play in NC$$ games. Since the competition is on Friday of FF weekend a player from a team that is in the championship game will still have one game of college eligibility left and possibly would not be able to play.

I might be misinterpreting your post, but I understand the whole bit about the players eligibility (even if it does seem silly). I just don't get why a coach/judge wouldn't choose a person just because they're expected to be playing in Milwaukee.

The other question is would a coach allow one of his players to particpate in a meaningless skills exhibition the day before the national championship game? I'd be hesitant, but I'm not sure.

I assume this would only come up if they could play in the competition anyway. Perhaps it's not eligibility that's the issue with the skills competition, but the fact that it would be a distraction that a coach whose team is in the championship game probably wouldn't want.

Date: March 08, 2006 06:56PM

[q]I might be misinterpreting your post, but I understand the whole bit about the players eligibility (even if it does seem silly). I just don't get why a coach/judge wouldn't choose a person just because they're expected to be playing in Milwaukee.[/q] All I'm saying is that by strict NC$$ rules a player who still has to play in the championship game the next day may not be eligible to particpiate in the skills competition. I don't think the likelihood of a player making the FF or finals has little to do with who they're selecting for the competition.

[q]I assume this would only come up if they could play in the competition anyway. Perhaps it's not eligibility that's the issue with the skills competition, but the fact that it would be a distraction that a coach whose team is in the championship game probably wouldn't want.[/q]If I were Mike Schafer I wouldn't want Moulson in a skills competition the day before the biggest game of our careers, whether he's eligible or not.

Posted by: Bio '04 (69.162.22.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:03PM

I don't think the likelihood of a player making the FF or finals has little to do with who they're selecting for the competition.

Ok, I think we're pretty much agreeing about the eligibility bit. I was just replying to Jacob's comment about the (likely) connection (according to him) between selection and probability of making the FF. (Which I also believe wasn't part of the selection process.)

If I were Mike Schafer I wouldn't want Moulson in a skills competition the day before the biggest game of our careers, whether he's eligible or not.

Once again, I completely agree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login