Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[sort of OT] Beanpot predictions

Posted by Dpperk29 
[sort of OT] Beanpot predictions
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:47PM

so who does everyone think will win?

I think it will be BU vs. BC in the final, with BU winning

Re: [sort of OT] Beanpot predictions
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:50PM

Should I be <shudder> rooting for Harvard in this one?

Kyle

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:51PM

Dpperk29

That's the choice of 34% of USCHO poll respondants.
31% say BC over BU.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:10PM

nyc94
Dpperk29

That's the choice of 34% of USCHO poll respondants.
31% say BC over BU.
You can't mean more than one-third of the respondents think H or N are gonna win? worry

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:15PM

only 8% say H is gonna win, and 5% for N. The other 20 some comes from other variations to either BC or BU winning

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:18PM

Al DeFlorio
You can't mean more than one-third of the respondents think H or N are gonna win? worry

Shocking but only 8% say Harvard will win. 5% for Northeastern. 37% for BU. 44% for BC. 8% couldn't even make a guess. And 2% of rounding error.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:28PM

Dpperk29
so who does everyone think will win?

Wow, what an edgy prediction. Don't go doing anything crazy like predicting that the Red Sox and Yankees will battle for the AL East this year, with the Yankees winning in the last week ;)

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:32PM

DeltaOne81
Wow, what an edgy prediction. Don't go doing anything crazy like predicting that the Red Sox and Yankees will battle for the AL East this year, with the Yankees winning in the last week ;)

Actually, that sounds like a bit of an edgy prediction. We can come back to this in about 7 months, but I doubt the Sox will even be contending for the wild card by the last week of the season.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:41PM

they will have clinched it already probably

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:11AM

And watch those retooled Blue Jays. If things click for them, they could definitely be in the hunt. That said, I'm just another Yankee fan who can't wait for Spring Training.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:20AM

Not to put a damper on things with boring numbers, but here's what KRACH has to say about the probabilities of various outcomes. I'm HTML illiterate, so bear with me...

1       2       3       4       probability
BC	BU	H	NU	27.35%
BC	H	BU	NU	23.00%
BU	BC	H	NU	20.63%
H	BC	BU	NU	12.33%
BC	BU	NU	H	3.71%
BU	BC	NU	H	2.80%
BU	NU	BC	H	2.35%
BC	H	NU	BU	2.22%
H	NU	BC	BU	1.41%
BU	NU	H	BC	1.26%
H	BC	NU	BU	1.19%
H	NU	BU	BC	1.07%
NU	BU	BC	H	0.23%
NU	H	BC	BU	0.19%
NU	H	BU	BC	0.14%
NU	BU	H	BC	0.12%
Cross-summing the possibilities, here's the probability that a team will finish in a given position:

1	2	3	4
BC	56.28%	36.94%	4.18%	2.59%
BU	27.04%	31.41%	36.54%	5.01%
H	16.00%	25.55%	49.36%	9.09%
NU	0.68%	6.09%	9.91%	83.31%

Definitely not looking too good for NU, there. Harvard should finish 2nd or 3rd - probably another consy win for them. I would have thought that BC would have had a higher chance of winning than 56%, but KRACH says that they only have a 57% chance of beating BU, so it makes sense.

We really need Harvard to beat BU (42% chance), and it would be really nice if they'd turn around and beat BC in the championship. Surprisingly, that should actually happen 13% of the time (taking into account Harvard over BU, BC over NU, and Harvard over BC), so keep your fingers crossed...
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2006 01:22AM by Robb.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:36PM

Regardless of what KRACH says this is still the BU invitational. So they have to be semi-favorites - they always seem to win. When is the last time Harvard actually made the final, let alone won it all?

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:08PM

KeithK
When is the last time Harvard actually made the final...?

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:52PM

Are there going to be free audio broadcasts of the games?

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 03:53PM

or are these games on tv?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 03:55PM

It would be nice if one of our resident experts told us who to root for, pairwise-wise.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 03:55PM

jy3
or are these games on tv?

If you get NESN, they're on. Don't know if anyone else carries the games.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:28PM

Trotsky
It would be nice if one of our resident experts told us who to root for, pairwise-wise.

Go use the script yourself, lazy boy, if you're concerned with the actual numbers, but losses by Harvard and Northeastern kick us out of the top 4.

Date: February 06, 2006 04:38PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Go use the script yourself, lazy boy, if you're concerned with the actual numbers, but losses by Harvard and Northeastern kick us out of the top 4.
"The scripts" don't really help, active boy, because the season doesn't end when the Beanpot ends. What may help us this week isn't necessarily what's good in the long run.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 05:47PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

"The scripts" don't really help, active boy, because the season doesn't end when the Beanpot ends. What may help us this week isn't necessarily what's good in the long run.

So you just asked our resident experts to predict the future, then?

Date: February 06, 2006 05:50PM

Simple. Root for BU and BC to lose because they're good teams that we haven't played. Root for Harvard and NU to win because they're not and we play them. Root for HU doubly because they're ECAC.

But I'm sure you knew that. No intricate analysis needed.

Date: February 06, 2006 05:54PM

RichH
I expect nothing less from a Cornell graduate.

Date: February 06, 2006 05:55PM

KeithK
Simple. Root for BU and BC to lose because they're good teams that we haven't played. Root for Harvard and NU to win because they're not and we play them. Root for HU doubly because they're ECAC.

But I'm sure you knew that. No intricate analysis needed.
OK, cool. In a system where a Robert Morris loss to American International can flip-flop BC and Denver, I wanted to be sure. :-D

Date: February 06, 2006 06:06PM

I don't swear that NU beating BC in an amazing upset couldn't set off a chain of events causing Cornell to plummet to 33rd in the PWR. But I suspect it's damn unlikely and not worth the time to try to figure it out. Also unlikely to be permanent, because any change that is that unusual is likely enough to flip back before all is said and done. When the weelend of 3/17-18 rolls around it makes sense to consider all sorts of arcane possibilities because the total number of combinations becomes manageable.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 06:15PM

Trotsky
RichH
Excellent point. We're moving this to Vegas and starting the most lucrative sports book ever, then. :-D

Date: February 06, 2006 06:16PM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH
Excellent point. We're moving this to Vegas and starting the most lucrative sports book ever, then. :-D
Predicting the future is easy. Getting it right, not so much.

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: February 06, 2006 06:27PM

And the way Northeastern is playing, they ain't helpin' us...

Date: February 06, 2006 10:55PM

Trotsky

Well, that's the point, isn't it? What does it matter now when the calculations are so complex that it boggles the mind?

Really, it comes down to faith/philosophy: would you rather we effect change in our potential pairwise status or let BC/BU do it for us? If you think we can beat Harvard in a couple of weeks, then there can be no question that we want Harvard to win, increasing our strength of schedule, etc. (There's practically no chance for Harvard to fall out of being a TUC and very little chance of them overtaking us in common opponents, for starters.) If you think we may have eventual trouble with the Harvard comparison, then you want BU to beat them and for them to stay weak.

If, however, you were originally being snarky in your first message, implying that the PWR, at this point of the year, is too unstable to really care about, then, hey, I'm with you. People that are concerned about every nitty gritty of every comparison at this point in the year obviously don't really get the system.

Or, in other words, what KeithK and Rich said.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2006 10:59PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:07PM

Scersk '97
People that are concerned about every nitty gritty of every comparison at this point in the year obviously don't really get the system.
I was going to resent that, but then I wondered what you meant by "concerned." In my mind, I'm not concerned about it - sad as it may be, messing around with this stuff is fun for me, so it's purely for my own enjoyment... Plus I'm living in the desert and there's certainly nothing better to do!

Date: February 06, 2006 11:08PM

Robb
I was going to resent that, but then I wondered what you meant by "concerned." In my mind, I'm not concerned about it - sad as it may be, messing around with this stuff is fun for me, so it's purely for my own enjoyment... Plus I'm living in the desert and there's certainly nothing better to do!

You know me better than myself. Exactly.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:25PM

krose
Should I be <shudder> rooting for Harvard in this one?

Kyle

Whenever H can help us, they never come through. Never. I swore off rooting for them in non-conference games several years ago for that reason.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:51PM

[q]Whenever H can help us, they never come through. Never. I swore off rooting for them in non-conference games several years ago for that reason.[/q]Well, by the time we're worrying about how Harvard can help us it's the Beanpot. And Harvard always loses there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login