Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Colgate Postgame 2/4

Posted by canuck89 
Cornell @ Colgate Postgame 2/4
Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:44PM

That was amazing!!! That was the game we had all hoped for and expected. Nice effort by everyone despite that 5-3 situation. Great goal by McCutcheon too.

Any thoughts on the game???

Re: Cornell @ Colgate Postgame 2/4
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:48PM

well, that was a real blood pressure raiser...

Great work by the D-men. a win this big without the big guys is huge for them.

Pegs was awesome, he was amazing on faceoffs, and he was in perfect postition for his goal.

Quiet night for Moulson/Bitz/Scott/Barlow/Kennedy... but not as quiet as Kindret's night... you'd think coach could have gotten him one shift...

McKee was there when he needed to be... solid performance...

does anyone else think tyler burton is overrated?

p.s. glover earned his penalty... it was so stupid... duh...

Posted by: Trustnduzt (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:48PM

You know what? We played so great, even with two D-men down.

There were some points where I was questioning our intensity but we seemed to snap out of it and continue playing aggressively.

McKee looked stellar as well.

They did do a good job of stopping Moulson, though, which teams have been able to do lately but it was great to see 'Cutch get another big time goal.

My star of this game, beside Cutch, was Pegs. WHAT A GOAL.

Posted by: Per Djoos (---.157.104.80.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:50PM

Three stars from Colgate Radio

3- David McKee

2 - Wilson, Colgate

1 - Mark McCutcheon

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:51PM

Maybe it's just because I'm used to watching the games live instead of on video, but everything seemed a lot faster than usual. Rougher as well - yet not really many penalties for roughing.

I was pretty disappointed with Glover's penalty; it wasn't anywhere near the net and he threw the puck. Really thought he had lost the game for us at that point.

AMAZING goal by McClutcheon. I think we have a permanent nickname.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:51PM

Cornell came out with great pressure in the first, looked like they really controlled the play. Unfortunate goal late in the period, probably one McKee would like back. 'Gate seemed to even the play up in the second period, but Cornell got a huge goal on a great pass by Glover.

It felt like the third period Cornell was just trying to hang on, and not attack as much. That could've just been me getting nervous though. The 5 on 3 situation was unfortunate, but all three Cornell players got caught on the same side of the ice creating a 2 on 0 down low.

Then what a great pass by Abbott to McCutcheon streaking down the slot. He really is becoming the new Iggulden, a strong penalty killer with a knack for scoring big goals.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:52PM

It was the perfect game for TV I felt, as it went down to the wire and it was SO satisfying when it was over. The cameras could have been a little better; they kept doing tight shots of people who were about to shoot on goal so a lot of the scoring opportunities had to be replayed after the fact.

I told everyone around me right before the first goal Colgate scored that we were being lazy. Besides that first goal, we played pretty well to excellent the entire time. Great effort in a hostile building (full of Cornell fans of course...did anyone else see all of the people wearing white with crossed arms the entire game? They just came for pizza)!

-Alex Barash '07

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.19.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:54PM

Really seemed the Gate fans were quiet for most of the game. They got quiet pretty quickly after the first goal and only seemed to get into it the two times Gate tied it up.

Posted by: Labotts (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:56PM

Seriously McCutcheon has been so underrated. I'm glad he's having such an awesome season. All these game winners and short-handers...I'm so impressed with him!

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:00PM

2 other favorite things about the game

1. abbott's interview in first intermission, on the cornell-colgate "rivalry"
"i guess they think they're our harvard or something."

2. colgate fan sign: "9 of 10 dentists like Colgate more THEN big red"
wow, amazing grammar.

-mike

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:01PM

the first gate goal was a sweet shot. he was going from davids right to left and used the defenseman as a screen and shot across his body to the right post. excellent wrist shot. not one that dave would shoot himself for as it was a sweet shot. it is one that you say, well that was a nice shot and move on.
overall we looked a little sluggish in the late second and third at times and made some sloppy plays leading to turnovers. the two penalties before the delay of game were bogus calls. The delay of game...puck caught in sleeve -> onto glove...cant toss it! silly penalty to take.
overall an entertaining game with a slow middle of the second period with mostly neutral zone play. I fear colgate in the ecacs.
wow, michigan is going nuts on cstv. 1 goals in the first couple minutes after intermission and now they are winning...

LGR!
cant wait for onion and rip now that I know I can go. unfortunately I got called in for backup call for an ER shift 4p-2am tomorrow. no superbowl for me!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:04PM

Evening's not over but as of now with .0033, .0022, and .0011 bonus points we've moved up to #4.

Colgate has fallen behind Holy Cross. uhoh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2006 10:05PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: ctenah (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:04PM

A-19
2 other favorite things about the game

1. abbott's interview in first intermission, on the cornell-colgate "rivalry"
"i guess they think they're our harvard or something."

2. colgate fan sign: "9 of 10 dentists like Colgate more THEN big red"
wow, amazing grammar.

-mike

I'm SO glad someone else noticed this. I was cracking up.

Date: February 04, 2006 10:06PM

Al DeFlorio
Evening's not over but as of now with .0033, .0022, and .0011 bonus points we've moved up to #4.

Colgate has fallen behind Holy Cross. uhoh
that extra win does a lot. we shall see where the chips fall. unfortunately michigan went nuts on tOSU and is winning...

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:07PM

When did the assumed bonus go from .003, .002, .001 to .0033 etc? Seriously. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Posted by: Per Djoos (---.157.104.80.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:07PM

Al DeFlorio

What does this mean ?

.0033, .0022 etc. and #4 what?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:23PM

Pegs had *such* a wide open net. A very pretty goal.
McCutcheon with another big TV goal (very much like the goal vs. Q from Lynah).

The game didn't seem as physical as I thought it would be and that is based on the comments about last night's game. However, I did like the energy that the Barlow-Scott-Kennedy line provided.

Samela got off some nice shots from the point. They were not hard blistering shots (or at least didn't seem so from my barstool), but they were on net and had to potential to get deflected or lost (by the goalie) with the traffic in front of the net. However, it would be nice to get either OB or Pokulok back on the point for the threat of a blistering shot.

A very important 4 point weekend and good hustle and grit all around.

WI Lost
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:27PM

UMD won, it's not up on USCHO yet, but we'll also win the WI comparsion. That'll cancel out NoDak who's beating CC and will stay ahead of us, so we'll probably stay at 24 comparisons, still in 4th.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:28PM

What an amazing game. We'd be singing a different tune if it was Wilson or Burton who netted the third goal for Colgate with half a minute to play. Any one game, a 1-goal victory is luck. Do it a bunch of times and it's superiority.

The Cornell defense really held fast, for the most part, with its two key players sidelined. McKee was awesome. Maybe on the second goal if he got his (what?) blocker or stick on the puck, as he did, then it was just bad luck that it went in. We looked real solid on penalty kill but not when it got to 5x3.

Moulson had no goals but if there's an All-America team for people who come close on lots of plays, he's a unanimous selection. That wraparound that he hit the pipe on was pretty. Other posters said Burton seemed overrated; maybe Cornell just did a job on him. Similarly, perhaps Colgate shut down Moulson but not the others.

Dumb penalties almost killed us. That five minute major at the outset, we should have put Colgate away right there with 2 PPGs instead of 2 of our own penalties. Ditto for the delay of game for gloving/passing the puck that led to Colgate's second goal.

No problems with the video feed on ESPNU.

Interesting to see some of the other scores as the bottom feeders and midpack teams win or tie. Maybe Princeton is a real team; they could wind up finishing only a couple places out of home ice.

Date: February 04, 2006 10:30PM

Per Djoos
Al DeFlorio

What does this mean ?

well the thought it is isnt as high as .004/.0025/0.002
so why not the above :)
and #4 is in the rankings
[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: PinkyGen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:38PM

One of the oddest stats from this game is that all three Cornell goals were even strength. No PP goals.

Also good to see the team hold tight with limited defensmen.

Ivy Standings
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.77.116.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:42PM

With Brown's tie vs. Dartmouth tonight, Cornell controls its own destiny in the Ivy race.
Cornell is 5-2-1 with H and D at home
Dartmouth is 5-2-1 with P at home and C on the road
Harvard is 5-3-0 with P at home nad C on the road

Princeton, Brown, and Yale are out.

Re: Cornell @ Colgate Postgame 2/4 [help from friends]
Date: February 04, 2006 10:45PM

Weekend's results were helpful to Cornell:
Cornell   24 pts ECAC 
Colgate   23 pts 
Dartmouth 20 pts (thank you, Brown, for the 2-2 tie Saturday)
Harvard   19 but with 1 more game played than top 3 
St. Lawr  18 (thank you, Q'pac & Princeton, for Larries' 0-point weekend) 

We're all agreed great teams don't spend a lot of time thinking about the league or conference title. But it does mean home jerseys through the playoffs, the last line change, and the crack at the worst team in the first rounds.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:52PM

The SLU fans were pretty much committing ritual harikari over at USCHO. Personally, I still think that's a helluva solid team.

Cornell can wrap up a fifth straight Ivy title by sweeping the final home weekend. Yes, I know, nobody gives a damn about that except me, but... well.. I still get to be me: [www.tbrw.info] , and Cornell is still 3 titles short of The Evil One.

Date: February 04, 2006 11:03PM

Trotsky
Cornell can wrap up a fifth straight Ivy title by sweeping the final home weekend. Yes, I know, nobody gives a damn about that except me, but... well.. I still get to be me: [www.tbrw.info] , and Cornell is still 3 titles short of The Evil One.
Right. The one good reason for winning the Ivy League title is: if you don't...someone else will.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:06PM

Especially a certain someone.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:06PM

A couple of us still care.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:09PM

Great game... esp. the result! I thought the defense overall was solid considering Pokulok and O'Byrne were out, The only real mistake was being out of position during the 5x3. The powerplay was ineffective, but I think that's just because the D-men don't have nearly as much offensive presence and Pokulok/Obyrne (combined with the fact that we don't seem to use the guys down low very well). Overall an outstanding effort... Peg and McCutcheon can really generate offense. This sweep could really propel us down the stretch.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:39PM

One of the most amazing efforts I have ever seen from a Cornell team. Just an unbelievable win tonight. ZERO passengers this weekend. Everybody came to play, even Kindret on his one shift tonight.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:57PM

Dpperk29
does anyone else think tyler burton is overrated?
NO

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:03AM

Trotsky
The SLU fans were pretty much committing ritual harikari over at USCHO. Personally, I still think that's a helluva solid team.

Yeah, but we spotted them an 8 title lead. ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:04AM

Per Djoos
Al DeFlorio

What does this mean ?

The NCAA fudges its Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) by adding bonuses for "quality wins" i.e., wins over top-15 teams not from your conference. They refuse to announce just what the bonuses are, but one guess is .0033 per win on the road, .0022 per win on neutral ice, and .0011 per win at home. When you add those bonuses to everyone's RPI, and then use that RPI and the other NCAA selection criteria to compare all the teams with RPIs above .5000, you get what's called the Pairwise Ranking (PWR) and we're #4 in that as of Al's post.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:12AM

Fewer faithful than previous years, but there weren't drunken idiots in the aisle. The fans that came did a great job. There were some classic exchanges between the fans. "Hotel Management" was met with "Hotel Janitors" and there were many more.

The fans were OK during the game, afterwards some punks ran after the band and stole a hat and half a piccolo. There was also water thrown at the fans and the usual classless response from Colgate.

The "number one" lady from last night was nowhere to be found.

The team played a good set of games. Colgate just didn't seem as deep and good as Cornell. There is a reason their PWR is so low, I suppose.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:24AM

Talking about classless responses...

When Glover got up after getting hurt in the 1st, (He played the rest of the game) Colgate fans booed.

When whoever it was who got hurt on Colgate got up in the 3rd in Lynah, we cheered. He was hurt worse, down a while, but still.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:26AM

Tub(a)
half a piccolo.
I'm trying to envision this. Just how do you steal half a flute? :)

Anyway, great game. My only real complaint was the giveaway by Krantz when he was heading back toward the near corner with the puck, which could have led to a goal if McKee weren't on his game. Otherwise, a great effort by the guys leading to a 4 point weekend. LGR!

Kyle

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:31AM

krose
Tub(a)
half a piccolo.
Head joint screws into the part with the keys. My guess is he grabbed the piccolo and the head joint came out.

Date: February 05, 2006 12:38AM

Dafatone
Talking about classless responses...

When Glover got up after getting hurt in the 1st, (He played the rest of the game) Colgate fans booed.

When whoever it was who got hurt on Colgate got up in the 3rd in Lynah, we cheered. He was hurt worse, down a while, but still.

There's a reason those students go to Colgate. Enough said...

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:42AM

Nor is Kyle Wilson.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:49AM

Actually, the head joint just slides right into the body. It's how you tune a flute. Now, as a flute player I'll admit that I hate piccolos with a passion (don't get me started), but stealing any part of any instrument is just not cool-- that shit is espensive as hell. Totally classless and shows the true colors of some Colgate fans.

Great game by Cornell tonight. We came out hard and fast, and it was apparent from the beginning that we wanted the win. Glover's penalty was just plain dumb... what ever posessed him to do that, I don't know. I will say, though, that after we gave up the point, our guys came out like woah. You couldn't tell that Colgate was on the power play immediately after... I liked it.

Pegs goal was simply beautiful. McCutcheon's goal was nothing short of amazing (he wins for the prettiest goals ever). We really came out to play, and play we did.

On a side note, I found the chucking of Big Red gum to be somewhat amusing and clever. The fish at the end of the game caused me to double over in laughter. Anyone know who threw it?

Posted by: PinkyGen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:53AM

MB
On a side note, I found the chucking of Big Red gum to be somewhat amusing and clever. The fish at the end of the game caused me to double over in laughter. Anyone know who threw it?

I liked the gum bit. It makes me wonder if we started throwing out toothpaste first, or if they started with the gum? (Knowing their fanbase, I would assume we started with the toothpaste).

Can't say I liked the fish, it didn't make any sense. Should have used toothpaste.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:59AM

Agreed, definitely a very goonish bunch of fans. Throwing things on the ice DURING game play? They were "warned" twice, but should have been penalized. Not to mention, being searched coming into the arena for alcoholic beverages? Please, the fact that they have to do that says a lot if you ask me.

The best part was after the game when a few drunken idiots came after me and my friend, and tried to rip my jersey off. They were so drunk I think they collided into each other!

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:36AM

This may have been addressed already in the forum, but I'm too lazy too search for it:

Why didn't Davenport dress on D? Why did Kindret play on D? Just a little puzzling to me.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:42AM

2tkCornell
This may have been addressed already in the forum, but I'm too lazy too search for it:

Why didn't Davenport dress on D? Why did Kindret play on D? Just a little puzzling to me.
In the section at Colgate where the Cornell band was, the rink staff asked us to move over to make room for "the injured players," including Pokulok and Davenport. They may have meant to say scratches rather than injured players, but perhaps he is injured.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:42AM

My few thoughts. The Colgate fans probably weren't all bad, but a lot of them were wanting for class. Amazingly the multiple "fuck you Cornell" calls right in front of the ushers didn't even raise an eyebrow. The "drink my period blood" chant by a bunch of 'gate guys was amazing if for the only reason that this would have been clever in grade school, college not so much so.

The stealing of parts of picalos sounds truly classless. I would be happy to chip in if the band needs to buy the part and can't get school help.

OK now the good stuff. Huge win! Just when it seemed that we were destined for a crap shoot in OT McClutcheon scores. Brilliant. I thought the play was slower than the night before at Lynah. Obviously Cornell had its momements of good and bad play that were mentioned by others but I still thought that overall both teams seemed slower. I don't know if it was a slower game tonight or if this is some perception that results from leaving Lynah.

Finally i think this was probably the least poorly refereed series i have seen since the new year.

LGR!!

-WillR

Date: February 05, 2006 03:15AM

2tkCornell

I too would like to know why Kindret dressed as the 13th forward yet only saw one shift the entire game when Davenport could have played a few shits on D. Davenport was there tonight, but Schafer opted to go with Kindret and play him one shift. I was very worried about going to overtime because the D were really really gassed late in the third period.

Date: February 05, 2006 03:16AM

With about two mintues to go, I turned to my buddies and said, "Who is this year's Iggulden?" McCutcheon answered. He is Iggulden 2.0.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 03:33AM

calgARI '07
With about two mintues to go, I turned to my buddies and said, "Who is this year's Iggulden?" McCutcheon answered. He is Iggulden 2.0.

I think you're wrong. OR at least he'll prove you wrong. He is much more than that!! ;-)

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 03:43AM

Colgate fans are a bunch of immature losers. They're not well-educated enough to know what is appropriate and what is not. They swear and say stupid things because they are frustrated by the fact that we have so many witty cheers and we are so organized. They don't have any cool cheers or songs like we do.

But I don't understand why the ushers let them swear like that. It seemed like the school supported that behavior.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:57AM

Here's the thing.

There can be student fans that piss us off, but they are actually hockey fans who happen to piss us off. Clarkson and SLU student fans fit into this category, we may not like them, but at least they do it for the love of the game.

Then there are student fans who piss us off because they are drunked assholes who know or can nothing about the game. Colgate fans fit into this category.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 05:37AM by French Rage.

Posted by: fink (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:24AM

I found the gum mildly amusing, but was rather disappointed in the failure to carry out the threat of a bench minor, as more gum was thrown several times later in the game with no result.

Compare to [elf.elynah.com] screwy

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 07:05AM

fink
I found the gum mildly amusing, but was rather disappointed in the failure to carry out the threat of a bench minor, as more gum was thrown several times later in the game with no result.

Compare to [elf.elynah.com] screwy

The part that pissed me off was that they were tossing it during warmups. I'm not sure how easily skates will slice through gum, but if it screwed up one of our players skating and they got hurt b/c of it that would've sucked. I pointed this out to mr. hypocritical usher who just laughed at me, then went and picked up some gum that didn't quite make it to the ice and threw it back in the crowd so they could throw it on the ice. Also, after the game a group of 'gate drunks stood outside the doors waiting for us to leave. I stopped to say bye to a friend and one of them came up and took my hat. I just grabbed him by his shirt til I got my hat back and walked away. Drunk people are so much fun.

Date: February 05, 2006 08:08AM

krose
Tub(a)
half a piccolo.

Anyway, great game. My only real complaint was the giveaway by Krantz when he was heading back toward the near corner with the puck, which could have led to a goal if McKee weren't on his game. Otherwise, a great effort by the guys leading to a 4 point weekend. LGR!
Kyle
"Half a piccolo"? If you didn't read the entire previous thread, this sounds vaguely suggestive. Blame it on American Pie.

Date: February 05, 2006 08:28AM

To the non-Cornell, non-Colgate TV-watching audience, it's not clear if throwing Big Red chewing gum on the ice is a salute or an implied insult to the team. Fish, little question, but chewing gum?

BTW as the broadcast wound down (after the game), ESPNU showed a fish on the ice. What was that? And who'd keep a fish stuffed under their jacket for 2-1/2 hours? What did the adjacent Colgate fans think - or did the section smell the same as always?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:55AM

in the excitement of this huge win, we must not forget that if we forget to show up for the games next weekend and colgate does show up, we're back to second place,,,

Date: February 05, 2006 10:03AM

i would suggest that the band file a police report with the 'gate security/hamilton police. it is a small school....
as for the throwing of the gum, they never did that until we threw toothpaste. also, I think complaining over people throwing gum during the game and during warmups is a bit pot-kettle-black. yes we have gotten a minor for more fish or toothpaste before, but there have been PLENTY of times when we havent...

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:22AM

Doug '08
Agreed, definitely a very goonish bunch of fans. Throwing things on the ice DURING game play? They were "warned" twice, but should have been penalized.

I believe 2 years ago a rowdy fan threw a 4 foot plastic phallic shaped object and even that only warranted a warning. Seeing the referee pick that up was priceless though.
Yesterday the camera panned the Colgate crowd in the middle of the 3rd period and showed a couple of students giving the one finger salute in the direction of our fans or players.
Although I don't like having weasels standing in the aisles annoying me, getting pizza thrown at me, or getting harassed in the parking lot I still wished I could have been there last night.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:46AM

sockralex
Although I don't like having weasels standing in the aisles annoying me, getting pizza thrown at me, or getting harassed in the parking lot I still wished I could have been there last night.

Luckily, the pizza wasn't present inside the rink for the game this time around.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 11:24AM

Great game. I was shocked by the stats at the end of each period as I felt that we dominated most of every period. Any time that you are in a one-goal game the risk of tieing/losing is huge, but I was never really worried; even after the 5x3 goal.

Aside: We looked like a midget league soccer game on the 5x3. Look! It's the puck! Converge!!!

My first thought on Gate goal #1 was "super soft," but when given the Dex-eye view, it looked like Wilson took advantage of a great screen. On the second Gate goal, Wilson fooled McKee by going stick side and threading the needle. Two impressive goals by Wilson.

Pegs' goal was great, but give the credit to the pass. Pegs was shooting at an empty net (even if the lift was super pretty - especially when the puck stuck under the crossbar).

Hell of a game without our 2 best Dmen, and it would have been a great game even without them. And Bill, even if Colgate got that last goal the majority of people here would still have said so, though we would have been saying it through tears.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:10PM

I was at the game. There were a few issues with the gum throwing that really made it far more wrong, in my eyes, than our toothpaste throwing.

With a few minutes left to go in the warm-up, some pseudo-official Colgate people started passing out packs of gum to the student section. The students immediately started throwing the gum at our players, covering our half of the ice with several hundred packs of gum. The problem was that our guys were still trying to warm up...skating hard...and the ice was covered in gum.

This is entirely different than throwing things (toothpaste, fish, gum, whatever) when the teams are coming out just before the game, to be announced. I'm assuming that all of them are good enough skaters to avoid skating over things, and possibly hurting themselves, in those conditions. But when they are still doing drills, it is an entirely different situation. The fact that the gum was actually passed out to the students then, instead of five minutes later when the players would have been in the locker room, was in my mind, the biggest problem.

Also, at least one of the guys who was out cleaning the gum up, before the ice could be resurfaced, returned all the gum he had picked up to the student section, so that it could be thrown on the ice again. You would never see something like that at Lynah.
Andy W.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:16PM

For what it's worth, I think that in the beginning of the game, they actually called coincidental minors on the teams: on Cornell for delay of game (I don't think I need to explain that one) and on Colgate for throwing things on the ice. There was certainly some announcement about delay of game, but it was so hard to hear in that arena...even though the PA announcer took 15 minutes to announce each detail during gameplay. Did anyone catch it, or am I going crazy?
Great game by pretty much everyone involved. The fact that the team battled back after losing all momentum after the 2nd Colgate goal shows a lot about the character of the team and the coaching staff. Pegoraro had by far his best game of the season on both ends of the ice. The defensemen played valiently, and although Salmela had his share of minor miscues, remember that he had a huge amount of pressure on him due to Pokoluk's absence. Gleed was fantastic all over the ice, playing a more purely defensive role last night than Friday, when he seemed to be deep in the offensive zone a lot more. Great things from this team all over the place this weekend.

Date: February 05, 2006 12:32PM

Agreed! Gum throwing is perfectly okay, however, their timing was just horrible. Also, things like that should never be passed out to students by officials*. Could you imagine if we each got our own fish for the Harvard game? :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:42PM

Karlmoose
For what it's worth, I think that in the beginning of the game, they actually called coincidental minors on the teams: on Cornell for delay of game (I don't think I need to explain that one) and on Colgate for throwing things on the ice. There was certainly some announcement about delay of game, but it was so hard to hear in that arena...even though the PA announcer took 15 minutes to announce each detail during gameplay. Did anyone catch it, or am I going crazy?

Not saying it didnt happen, but its not in the box score:
[www.collegehockeystats.net]

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 05, 2006 03:03PM

sockralex
Doug '08
Agreed, definitely a very goonish bunch of fans. Throwing things on the ice DURING game play? They were "warned" twice, but should have been penalized.

I believe 2 years ago a rowdy fan threw a 4 foot plastic phallic shaped object and even that only warranted a warning. Seeing the referee pick that up was priceless though.
Yesterday the camera panned the Colgate crowd in the middle of the 3rd period and showed a couple of students giving the one finger salute in the direction of our fans or players.

Yeah, ESPNU panned right to them when they were yelling bullshit. I'm not saying they shouldnt, we do, but it seems it would be in the channels best interest not to pan right to people saying it when it's also very audible too.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 03:13PM

One more thought: as much as I enjoyed seeing the game on TV, count me among those who think that ESPNU has now idea how to televise hockey. I can't count the number of times that they showed a player's face as he was winding up to shoot, cutting away just quick enough to catch up to the puck in the corner. The ADD producer refused to just keep the camera pulled back far enough to watch the flow of the game.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 03:18PM

I stand corrected on the penalty issue. I guess I was just hearing things. Or perhaps hearing what I wanted to hear.
One person that I saw returning gum to the students was actually the zamboni driver. He stopped in the middle of re-icing and threw what must have been a half a case back into the student section. Yet another thing you would never see at Lynah. (Especially at the Harvard game.) I'm beating the proverbial dead horse here, but after being physically and verbally abused upon departure from Starr last night, I'm in the mood to lay on the hate a bit today. What a win.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:45PM

ugarte
One more thought: as much as I enjoyed seeing the game on TV, count me among those who think that ESPNU has now idea how to televise hockey. I can't count the number of times that they showed a player's face as he was winding up to shoot, cutting away just quick enough to catch up to the puck in the corner. The ADD producer refused to just keep the camera pulled back far enough to watch the flow of the game.

I think it was actually Time Warner Sports that 'televised' the game and ESPNU just picked it up for nationwide viewing. I could be wrong though.

Date: February 05, 2006 04:50PM

"You couldn't have asked for a better crowd tonight! The students were great! Of course Cornell delayed the beginning of the game.....because they forgot their jerseys and socks. Give me a break!! What a ploy by Schafer. Although it didn't take the crowd out of the game, our team had to go back into the locker room and sit another 5 - 10 minutes. I strongly feel Cornell should have been given a delay of game penalty. The game misconduct on Bognatich early on was brutal! And then Cornell only got a 2 minute penalty when one of their players totally upended Dekanich, away from the play. Murphy certainly didn't help us tonight."

-Colgate fan on uscho.com

I admit I am biased sometimes, even though I try not to be. However, Schafer did not "intentionally" leave the socks at home (haha). Too bad that can't be said for the Colgate students throwing gum on the ice at all times of the game. An unbiased fan might say a bench minor for both teams for delay of game (socks/gum-throwing). Oh well, I must take a deep breath now.

Date: February 05, 2006 04:57PM

Hmmmm...you think maybe our guys skating around for the warm-up without their jerseys might have given someone over on the Colgate side a clue that there could be something just a little off? I was actually shocked when Colgate came out, before the refs had taken the ice. (I didn't think they were allowed to do that.) I guess after a few minutes, when they didn't see the refs, or an opposing team, they wisened up, and went back to their locker room. You just can't get nothin' by those student athletes at Colgate.
Andy W.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:12PM

Someone complained about that play where Dekanich went down? Sawada lost his stick, Dekanich didn't make any sort of move to get out of the way when Sawada grabbed it and so he went down. It definitely wasn't intentional. Couldn't that be interference on Dekanich for preventing Sawada from getting his equipment?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 08:13PM by Dafatone.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:31PM

Dafatone
Someone complained about that play where Dekanich went down? Sawada lost his stick, Dekanich didn't make any sort of move to get out of the way when Sawada grabbed it and so he went down. It definitely wasn't intentional. Couldn't that be interference on Dekanich for preventing Sawada from getting his equipment?

Yes it could have. It was NOT a penalty on Sawada. Well, except for the fact that it was :-(

Date: February 05, 2006 10:55PM

ugarte
Great game. I was shocked by the stats at the end of each period as I felt that we dominated most of every period.
The Post-Standard reporter agrees with you (see paragraph 2).

[www.syracuse.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:25AM

No, there were no offsetting penalties at the start of the game. Crap was thrown in warmups. They got an unofficial warning from the PA. Crap was thrown for intros. They got an official warning. There were at least two more times during the game when stuff was thrown on the ice (and even picked up by officials, so it's not like they didn't see it) and nothing was called, so clearly they had no intention of calling a delay. Perhaps they were being lenient given the jersey business. Oh, and yay Ruben Leavitt, USCHO Arena Reporter:

[q]Other than McCutcheon, the team heroes of the evening were Chris Fontas and Marvin Mcleod, who left Lynah Arena late enough to be notified to rush over the gear that had been left behind.[/q]

Good lord...

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:26AM

sockralex
I think it was actually Time Warner Sports that 'televised' the game and ESPNU just picked it up for nationwide viewing. I could be wrong though.
But you're not.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:53AM

CowbellGuy
Oh, and yay Ruben Leavitt, USCHO Arena Reporter

...even though he, like everyone else at USCHO, was still spelling Coach's name "Schaffer" until I e-mailed them about it again.

(And what the heck is "deja-vous"?!)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2006 11:54AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:55AM

Beeeej
"deja-vous"
Getting lucky twice on one date.

Date: February 06, 2006 12:30PM

Dafatone
The play could have been called about three ways by the officials: no call, Sawada penalty, Sawada and maybe Dekanich penalty. Given the hindsight of seeing the replay, which Sawada did not, once the goaltender appeared to hinder retrieval of the stick .and. since goaltenders are pretty much immune in their creases .and. since leaving the stick there was likely to be a momentary hassle to Dekanich if left there (at least a concentration-breake) .and. it might have been faster to skate back for new stick ... Sawada should have left it.

Date: February 06, 2006 12:33PM

It would have been amazing for team - fan bonding if Cornell could have made an appeal to the visiting Cornell fans for loan of their game-worn red jerseys. Even for warmups until the real things arrived.

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:41PM

billhoward
It would have been amazing for team - fan bonding if Cornell could have made an appeal to the visiting Cornell fans for loan of their game-worn red jerseys. Even for warmups until the real things arrived.

i thought they did...just didnt actually use them because they couldnt round up enough?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:42PM

Jason L
billhoward

i thought they did...just didnt actually use them because they couldnt round up enough?
That is correct.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:01PM

I agree Bill. On the replay it's clear that Dekanich kept Sawada from getting his stick. Which is interference, but only if a ref sees it. Reaching under the opposing goalie to get your stick was not a smart play - he was just asking for a penalty. Given where he was on the ice (offensive zone) he should have just skated to the bench for another stick.

All in all that was not a very good way to use a 5 minute major.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:02PM

It's hard to imagine that Davenport isn't injured considering that he didn't dress when we had only 5 healthy D. If not then he's pretty far into Schafer's doghouse.

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 08:26PM

KeithK
I agree Bill. On the replay it's clear that Dekanich kept Sawada from getting his stick. Which is interference, but only if a ref sees it. Reaching under the opposing goalie to get your stick was not a smart play - he was just asking for a penalty. Given where he was on the ice (offensive zone) he should have just skated to the bench for another stick.

Maybe it was his "lucky stick", i.e. the one that had the goals in it. :-D

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:25PM

KeithK
I agree Bill. On the replay it's clear that Dekanich kept Sawada from getting his stick. Which is interference, but only if a ref sees it.
I'm probably the only person here who thinks that Dex didn't try to block Sawada or flop intentionally. I saw the replay and thought "yeah, that's 2."

Date: February 07, 2006 04:43PM

I just watched the replay frame by frame. In the very first frame, after the broadcast logo, you can see open ice between the stick and Dekanich's skate. Dekanich sees Sawada coming for the stick, and either skates onto it or across it. (Can't tell from the replay.) But he was not trying to get into position to defend the goal...he was way to one side of the goal mouth, and the puck was at the other end of the rink. (Meaning if he was getting into position, he would have been in the middle of the net.)

I was pretty convinced after watching the first time that Dekanich intentionally prevented Sawada from picking up his stick, but after Ugarte's comment, and then going back and watching more carefully, I am 100% certain that Dekanich knew what he was doing.

That's my opinion, anyway.
Andy W.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 10:11PM

Hey, I was listenning to the 'gate announcers during the game and I'm sure that they were commenting that Dek' made a fast one by standing on the stick. Anyone else hear it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login