Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

when to stand up at beginning of period

Posted by Jim 
when to stand up at beginning of period
Posted by: Jim (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:23PM

I have noticed a lot of faithful beginning to stand up way before the big red come out of the locker room. Being here for 4 years, I always observe that one older man always opens the locker room door with 1:30 left in intermission, then comes out and closes it and seconds later it opens again with the big red coming out. I know this as the time to stand up and cheer. I have seen previous year crowds also do this, but this year section B seems to stand whenever the hell they feel like their butts start to hurt and parts of other sections do this too. Anyone else have an opinion about this? should we try to get the message out and have the crowd seem united and rise to entrance of the big red together?

Re: when to stand up at beginning of period
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:28PM

I think maybe we are trying to create too many rules. Just cheer when they come out, OK?

Date: February 05, 2006 04:29PM

just stating what i have seen in the past

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:30PM

ugarte
I think maybe we are trying to create too many rules. Just cheer when they come out, OK?
Even better, be there and cheer when they come out for warm-ups.

Date: February 05, 2006 04:35PM

The more support for the team, the better

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:36PM

Jim
I have noticed a lot of faithful beginning to stand up way before the big red come out of the locker room. Being here for 4 years, I always observe that one older man always opens the locker room door with 1:30 left in intermission, then comes out and closes it and seconds later it opens again with the big red coming out. I know this as the time to stand up and cheer. I have seen previous year crowds also do this, but this year section B seems to stand whenever the hell they feel like their butts start to hurt and parts of other sections do this too. Anyone else have an opinion about this? should we try to get the message out and have the crowd seem united and rise to entrance of the big red together?

My opinion is that your efforts should probably be spent elsewhere.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:53PM

Its one thing if a cheer sounds like crap or doesn't make sense (i.e. "lose", although that train has long since left the station) - but as for when to stand up, yeah, find better things to put your energy into.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:55PM

Um, you've gotta be kidding me.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:55PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte

You wacky old guys and your arriving for the warm-ups. :-}

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:06PM

This is probably the funniest sarcastic threads I've read. Unless, it is in fact serious, in which case ---> bang

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:10PM

French Rage
Al DeFlorio
ugarte

What I actually loved about the game at Colgate was the fact that the place was pretty much full prior to warmups. I wish more than 15-20 of us were there for warmups at Lynah. I think the reason it was full on the student side was because it was general admission and first come first serve. Yet another reason to go back to general admission tickets for students.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 05:17PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:16PM

calgARI '07
What I actually loved about the game at Colgate was the fact that the place was pretty much full prior to warmups. I wish more than 15-20 of us were there for warmups at Lynah.

I do my best to be there for warmups every game at Lynah. While I should probably be using that time to heckle the other team, I actually like to watch our guys go through the warmup drills.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:18PM

ugarte

I agree

Date: February 05, 2006 05:25PM

calgARI '07
French Rage
Al DeFlorio
ugarte

What I actually loved about the game at Colgate was the fact that the place was pretty much full prior to warmups. I wish more than 15-20 of us were there for warmups at Lynah. I think the reason it was full on the student side was because it was general admission and first come first serve. Yet another reason to go back to general admission tickets for students.

Yeah, I was wondering about when people used to come to warmups at Lynah. Was that during the period where seats were still first come, first serve, or did it still happen regularly even after season ticket sales?

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:33PM

I strongly recommend coming early for many reasons. Not at the bottom of the list is that you can scream at the opposing players and be sure that they actually hear you. (Respectfully, of course. We wouldn't want to offend any of them.)
Let's just focus on being loud next weekend. Enough said.

Date: February 05, 2006 05:41PM

French Rage
Yeah, I was wondering about when people used to come to warmups at Lynah. Was that during the period where seats were still first come, first serve, or did it still happen regularly even after season ticket sales?
I can only speak to the deep dark ages of 1961-1966, but back then it was first-come, first-served general admission, and student entry was by CUAA coupon book. After Ned's arrival, if you wanted to be sure of getting into the rink, you had to get there when the doors opened at 6 for the then 7:30 games. Back then the ice was not resurfaced after warm-ups, so the teams came out about 25 minutes before game-time and did not go back into the dressing rooms.

Lynah was also kept dimly-lit until shortly before the teams came out, so the place just went nuts when something finally happened on the ice, after waiting an hour or so on the benches in semi-darkness bouncing balloons around the stands. Players from that era often describe the excitement of knowing 4300 people (different fire laws then) were huddled in the dark outside the dressing room door waiting to explode at the first crack of light from the door opening.

No sirens, air horns, or goofy announcers were needed, either.;-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 07:20PM

French Rage

During the not-quite-as-dark ages of 78-82, a lot of people showed up for warm-ups as well, and we had reserved seats. Most of the time was spent harassing the opposing sieve whenever he blew a stop. The beach balls were reserved for between periods only (even when the figure skater was out there).

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 07:31PM

i will be there for warmups @ lynah for harv-dc weekend. i can attest to the statement that players actually hear you. we have had pucks shot at us and all.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 05, 2006 07:33PM

A-19
i will be there for warmups @ lynah for harv-dc weekend. i can attest to the statement that players actually hear you. we have had pucks shot at us and all.
Funny you should mention this: the only souvenir puck I have from Lynah is one that a Harvard player shot at me during warmups. I can't claim to have caught it, but I did retrieve it after it nearly took my head off. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:31PM

krose
A-19
Funny you should mention this: the only souvenir puck I have from Lynah is one that a Harvard player shot at me during warmups. I can't claim to have caught it, but I did retrieve it after it nearly took my head off. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

That's better than having your only souvenir puck at Lynah being from a women's hockey game in which you rushed to get the puck 5 rows up, and as "punishment" for not playing during the break, you were later made to play I Want You Back solo.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 09:09PM

krose
A-19

After a long rant about him being an ugly sieve (complete with signs), Bob Gaudet tried to wing a puck at us during warm-ups for the 1980 ECAC Championship game at the Garden. Typical goalie accuracy. It landed nowhere near us.

At the NCAA consolation game, he skated over to us after he took his warm-ups and said "You guys have been doing this shit for four games now. Can you just cut it out?"

Oh yeah. They hear it. Especially during warm-ups.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 09:47PM

Al, I thought I remembered games at 8 PM?? Anyway agree, first come first served. Warm-ups were a must.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:32PM

Al, don't you remember Ozzie Richardson's air horn back in the '60s and '70? It was loud and he was always parked near the opposing bench. I think Ned liked him there. The rules and traditions have changed over the years:

- Games were mostly at 8:00pm in the "early" days. I think game times changed to 7:00pm sometime in the '80s.
- Games were played on various days of the week. Lots of Tuesday and Saturday schedules. Rarely were games played on back to back days.
- I always remember students showing up well before game time with their general admissions tickets. "Townies" with reserved seats tended to trickle in after the game started.
- No netting in the end zones till the '80s. Much nicer for us photographers.
- It seems that one of us "older fans" needs to explain this every year: The "older" gentlemen is Mike Teeter. He's been the goal judge at the scoreboard end of the rink since about 1963. He's been the Cornell "father" and "grandfather" of a couple of generations of hockey players. Also involved in football and lacrosse. He was inducted into the Cornell Athletics Hall of Fame under a "special" category last year.

Larry '72
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 10:34PM by Larry72.

Date: February 05, 2006 10:36PM

Jim Hyla
Al, I thought I remembered games at 8 PM??
Might have been. It was certainly later than the unfashionably early 7pm that we have now.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:46PM

Unless I am mistaken, the game start times went from 8:00 PM to 7:30 PM, and finally to 7:00 PM all within the years that I have been attending games. So the first change would have happened some time after the 1982-83 season. Also, I seem to recall a brief period when the Friday night game was starting at 7:30, and the Saturday night game at 7:00.

Can anyone confirm any of this, and possibly add more detail?
Andy W.

Date: February 05, 2006 10:49PM

andyw2100
Also, I seem to recall a brief period when the Friday night game was starting at 7:30, and the Saturday night game at 7:00.
For my entire undergrad tenure (1994-1998), this is the way things were: Friday at 7:30, Saturday at 7:00. And I doubt it was limited to those years. So, not so brief.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 11:42PM

krose
andyw2100
Also, I seem to recall a brief period when the Friday night game was starting at 7:30, and the Saturday night game at 7:00.
For my entire undergrad tenure (1994-1998), this is the way things were: Friday at 7:30, Saturday at 7:00. And I doubt it was limited to those years. So, not so brief.

Cheers,
Kyle
I think you can stretch it back to 1990; that's what I remember also.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:34PM

Showing up for warmups is an integral part of the college hockey experience for me. I can't imagine intentionally showing up only at game time. Get there early, see how our team looks and cheer for 'em a bit. Then go and harass the other team. Lots and lots of good fun.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 05:14PM

French Rage
In my era, 1992-1996, the student side was close to full for warm-ups every night. Lynah was not General Admission then, however the student sections were only A, B, D, and parts of E. Sections F, G, and H were empty for most of those games...it wasn't until Schafer's arrival in 1995 when sellouts began happening with increasing frequency. Anyway, the sections that had students were pretty crowded for warmups, mainly for heckling purposes. It felt like a community. You'd go in early, warm up your voice with some good barbs/comedy while learning the opposing names, then the teams would go back into the locker rooms, and that's when people did their faceti....errr...socializing (not during play). Games were 7:30 Fridays, 7:00 Saturdays, but I remember the doors being open at 6 pm, and a good stream of people flowing in there shortly thereafter.

I can't tell you exactly when the students stopped showing up early and big, gaping holes still existed at puck drop, but I sure started noticing it by 2002 or so. If the students can't be bothered to grab an early dinner/snack and get that game-night anticipation/buzz going in there, that's their choice/perogative. I say they're missing out on making a good time even better.

Posted by: A-ron (---.kpf.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 07:50PM

I remember my senior year convincing two of the freshmen in front of me to come early with me for the warmups against Harvard. They were reluctant, but I did manage to get them in there. After 30 minutes of yelling during warmups and as Harvard skated back to their locker room one of the freshman turned to me and said "Thank you so much for convincing us to come...I can't believe I've been missing this all season!" I just wish we could have all the students to come for warmups at least once so they could see what it's like...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 08:21PM

RichH
I can't tell you exactly when the students stopped showing up early and big, gaping holes still existed at puck drop, but I sure started noticing it by 2002 or so. If the students can't be bothered to grab an early dinner/snack and get that game-night anticipation/buzz going in there, that's their choice/perogative. I say they're missing out on making a good time even better.
Not that this is a complete excuse or anything, but the 7pm start time for Friday games is kind of inconvenient when it comes to getting there by warmups. The extra half hour does help for people coming from jobs or afternoon classes.

Date: February 06, 2006 08:28PM

Oh please. Friday afternoon classes don't end at 6pm. (Who schedules Friday afternoon labs and sections anyway?) If it's a priority you can get there on time. Obviously it's not for most these days.

Date: February 06, 2006 08:28PM

RichH
French Rage
In my era, 1992-1996, the student side was close to full for warm-ups every night. Lynah was not General Admission then, however the student sections were only A, B, D, and parts of E. Sections F, G, and H were empty for most of those games...it wasn't until Schafer's arrival in 1995 when sellouts began happening with increasing frequency. Anyway, the sections that had students were pretty crowded for warmups, mainly for heckling purposes. It felt like a community. You'd go in early, warm up your voice with some good barbs/comedy while learning the opposing names, then the teams would go back into the locker rooms, and that's when people did their faceti....errr...socializing (not during play). Games were 7:30 Fridays, 7:00 Saturdays, but I remember the doors being open at 6 pm, and a good stream of people flowing in there shortly thereafter.

The 7:30 time on Friday might have helped. 7:00 is a little close to dinner: gotta eat, and Lynah food does not count. Saturday you have more time all day to eat earlier. At least that was my personal experience, that I would get there in time for pre-game stuff, but warmups and earlier is a little too close to dinnertime.

Date: February 06, 2006 08:35PM

[q]The 7:30 time on Friday might have helped. 7:00 is a little close to dinner: gotta eat, and Lynah food does not count. Saturday you have more time all day to eat earlier. At least that was my personal experience, that I would get there in time for pre-game stuff, but warmups and earlier is a little too close to dinnertime.[/q]I repeat: if getting there for warmups was a priority you would be able to get there. If you can't get to dinner before the game grab a snack and then order pizza afterwards. Or go to Hot Truck. Even in a dinky little town like Ithaca there are plenty of options for eating after 9pm.

Agreed about Lynah food though. I've never touched the stuff.

Date: February 06, 2006 08:44PM

jmh30
Not that this is a complete excuse or anything, but the 7pm start time for Friday games is kind of inconvenient when it comes to getting there by warmups. The extra half hour does help for people coming from jobs or afternoon classes.
Real fans don't schedule classes late on Friday afternoons. Real fans get it written into their employment contract that they be allowed to leave work in time to get to the rink by 6. :)

I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek, but very serious in saying that not being "able" to get there by warmups is a choice individuals make based on their priorities. They could choose to sacrifice something else to get there early, but evidently they've decided that other thing is more important.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: February 06, 2006 08:45PM

KeithK
[q]The 7:30 time on Friday might have helped. 7:00 is a little close to dinner: gotta eat, and Lynah food does not count. Saturday you have more time all day to eat earlier. At least that was my personal experience, that I would get there in time for pre-game stuff, but warmups and earlier is a little too close to dinnertime.[/q]I repeat: if getting there for warmups was a priority you would be able to get there. If you can't get to dinner before the game grab a snack and then order pizza afterwards. Or go to Hot Truck. Even in a dinky little town like Ithaca there are plenty of options for eating after 9pm.

Agreed about Lynah food though. I've never touched the stuff.

Plus, if you have time to eat during the game, you're not doing enough.

I dunno, I guess warm-ups was never a priority for me, and I dont feel like less of a fan because of that. Maybe it was just not the usual for my time there, and with other stuff I had a full schedule, but with cheering during games and going to away games and such there's more than enough other things to do to make you a good fan.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 08:54PM

I don't agree that we have no right to complain about the start time. Though I always get to the games early, I would like to get there even sooner. Because I do research on friday afternoons, eating and getting to Lynah is difficult.

I would gladly make a sacrifice for hockey. I would choose to sacrifice my friday social life, and have the games start at 7:30 or 8:00 like in the past.

Date: February 06, 2006 09:03PM

I'm not saying you're a bad fan because you never went to warmups. I'm just saying that you missed out on a cool part of the Lynah experience. But people shouldn't claim that they wanted to be there for warmups but couldn't because it was too difficult to get there.

Date: February 06, 2006 09:05PM

Sure, we can complain. Lord knows I love to complain. I preferred the later start times myself (and still would, esp. since I don't get out of work before 4pm PST). But the start time is not the reason why the rink is empty during warmups and the start time is not the reason why the student side isn't completely full when the puck drops.

Posted by: Turkeybone (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:26AM

You guys sit down?

Posted by: A-ron (---.kpf.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:16AM

Up until 2003 all architecture studios went from 2-6PM M,W, AND F. I loved hockey, but I also loved the idea of completing my required courses and graduating. Luckily, the architecture studios have been moved up to 12-4, meaning the tens of hockey fans in the architecture program can finally get there in time for warmups!

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:45AM

A-ron
Up until 2003 all architecture studios went from 2-6PM M,W, AND F.
Ending at 6 means you have approximately 15 minutes to get to the rink before warmups begin, for a 7:00 game. Don't tell me you can't get from Rand to Lynah in less than 10.

And don't give me that crap about needing to eat first. Boo hoo. For a 7:00 game, you could still make it to late night before 10:00 (unfortunately impossible for the old 7:30 Friday starts), or hit Hot Truck, the Nines, or any of other innumerable eateries.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 07, 2006 12:09PM

I'll agree with you on that. At the very least, EVERYBODY should be there for the puck drop. That is why I would like to see a season ticket policy that enforces people to show up for the first faceoff. I don't really have a good idea for that, lol, but if any of you do I would like to hear it.

Date: February 07, 2006 03:49PM

canuck89
I'll agree with you on that. At the very least, EVERYBODY should be there for the puck drop. That is why I would like to see a season ticket policy that enforces people to show up for the first faceoff. I don't really have a good idea for that, lol, but if any of you do I would like to hear it.

For that matter, at intros too.

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 04:34PM

French Rage
canuck89

For that matter, at intros too.
I liked being there for warm-ups also, but (and this is not directed at French Rage specifically) this "real fans do X" stuff is really tiresome to read. We are enjoying a great season and after every game half of the game thread is devoted to how "section A is quiet" or "section B is all facetimers" or "section C didn't take their Metamucil." Real fans pack the rink for the game and, as far as I can tell from comments by our opponents, Lynah is full and loud.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 04:37PM

ugarte
this "real fans do X" stuff is really tiresome to read.
Real fans don't complain about other fans' grousing. :)

Kyle

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 05:41PM

krose
ugarte
this "real fans do X" stuff is really tiresome to read.
Real fans don't complain about other fans' grousing. :)

Kyle
Real people familiar with message boards don't add their signature to attributed posts. ;-) And they especially don't not wish me Cheers.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:20PM

canuck89

Scan the tickets as people enter, and if people aren't there by 7:15 (give them a LITTLE leeway), their seats get sold to someone else (a line of people waiting for standby seats) and the original ticketholders just have to try their luck at the door.

It's done in theater; I don't see why it can't be done in sports.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:02PM

las224
It's done in theater; I don't see why it can't be done in sports.
Because if I'm driving up from DC and I have a flat tire and get to the game 16 minutes late and you've sold my ticket, I'm going to continue beating your head into the nice new Lynah lobby tiling until the entire IPD makes me stop.

People travel farther to see sports than "Wicked." And people who attend sports are more dangerous than people who attend "Les Mis."

People who attend "Urinetown," however, are scarier.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:46PM

For historical semi-accuracy, the change from 7:30 to 7:00 PM happened around the 2000-2001 season or possible the season after. Those 30 minutes mattered a hell of a lot for me getting to the games from class, because class was in Manhattan.

Still made it most of the time, though.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 08:00PM

LowellFrank
For historical semi-accuracy, the change from 7:30 to 7:00 PM happened around the 2000-2001 season or possible the season after. Those 30 minutes mattered a hell of a lot for me getting to the games from class, because class was in Manhattan.

No... I was a freshman in the fall of 99 and always remember games being at 7.

Date: February 07, 2006 08:15PM

DeltaOne81
LowellFrank

No... I was a freshman in the fall of 99 and always remember games being at 7.
According to the 1998-99 schedule posted here: [www.elynah.com] Friday games were still at 7:30 in the 1998-99 season. Likewise: [www.elynah.com] shows 7pm games on Friday. So if you can trust the schedules I compiled at the time I think we can say definitively that the scheduling change came in the 1999-2000 season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login