Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah: Cornell 4 Colgate 1 Postgame

Posted by cth95 
Lynah: Cornell 4 Colgate 1 Postgame
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:41PM

Excellent all- around effort minus a few seconds when McKee was left out to dry and lost the shutout. Colgate 0-5 on the PP. Good passing and fore-checking by the Red. Smothering defense for most of the game, and all w/out O'Byrne and Pokoluk. Great patience and pass from Scott on Sawada's 2nd goal. Let's hope Pokoluk's injury isn't serious. Didn't skate after being injured in the 2nd and didn't return to the ice for the 3rd. Anyone at the game see what happened? It looked from the web feed like he just lost an edge in the corner and then was very slow getting up.

Big time game tomorrow! LGR!!!!!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 09:47PM by cth95.

Re: Lynah: Cornell 4 Colgate 1 Postgame
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:43PM

Did anyone else notice how much Burton played for 'gate? He was out pretty much every other shift, I wouldn't be surprised if his minutes were approaching 30. However, he produced almost nothing while he was out there. The only good thing I saw him do was have a nice feed to the guy in front on 'gate's pp in the end of the third. We did a great job of shutting him down. Cornell played great, the only really bad thing coming out of this game was Pokulok going down and the fact that we lost the shutout late. The Cornell goal that was waved off was pretty bs. The puck was in the air the entire time so I see no reason that the ref would have blown the whistle. I guess it didn't make a difference in the end.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:52PM

Sasha lost an edge in the corner and slid in feet first. Unfortunately, one of his legs got caught behind him and bent awkwardly. He did get up and skate around and didn't go straight to the bench, but was absent for the whole third period.

Great game tonight otherwise, easily the best second period the guys have played all year. I all honesty, 'Gate had only a handful of real scoring chances all night. Cornell did a great job at keeping that offense in check.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:54PM

Our intensity definitely met the challenge of a good (but overrated...) Colgate team. I felt that our guys were chasing every lose puck, and having some bounces go our way didn't hurt. Amazing 5 on 3 kill at the end 1st/start 2nd. Let's bring the same tommorrow to Starr, but I expect Colgate will make some adjustments and also have their home advantage. Too bad it's sold out or I'd be there. LGR!!!

Posted by: Trustnduzt (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:57PM

Finally, I can safely say that we dominated that game.

That wasn't just a win, it was a convincing win.

The 1st period, we seemed to be pretty even on most fronts and I thought that the first goal scored would be the only goal. Then we just came out super aggressive in the second period and dominated from there on out.

The only downside, beside Pokulok's injury, was the penalty minutes. Seminoff had 2 or 3 this game -- and that 5 on 3 almost gave me a heart attack.

But, all in all, great game. That's how I expect us to play every night...and McKee finally returned to his form of last year.

Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:06PM

Sawada has been very, very impressive the past few weeks. Scoring a lot of clutch goals and hitting everything in sight. He has really shown why the Dallas Stars chose him in the second round of the 2004 NHL draft.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 10:07PM by bigred06.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:07PM

Hey, and props to Salmela.

Watching the replay in the booth, that was a gorgeous goal.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:11PM

What happened to the video in the beginning of the game? Did you read the thread? You were very helpful in discussing your camera work recently. I hope you can pass on the word about the video problems with the hockey game while right next door, the basketball was apparently flawless.

[elf.elynah.com]

Date: February 03, 2006 10:13PM

You know what it was...or some of it, at least. The booth was a bit crowded and someone hit the cable.

Sorry I didn't notice until the 2nd period. I replugged it back in, and it should have been fine from there.

As far as any other problem, it must have be CSTV. Maybe their bandwidth was crowded with so many games? I really don't know...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 10:16PM by Trustnduzt.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:16PM

Thanks for the info. I am sure that I am not the only one who appreciates knowing what is going on. The problems are still frustrating, but it is a lot better to know than just getting pissed-off from speculating.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:17PM

Jacob '06
Did anyone else notice how much Burton played for 'gate? He was out pretty much every other shift, I wouldn't be surprised if his minutes were approaching 30.
Colgate dresses seven D-men and eleven forwards. I read somewhere that Burton double-shifts, playing on two different lines.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:17PM

cth95
What happened to the video in the beginning of the game?
In the beginning of the game?!

The entire game was on-and-off choppy. It would be fine for a minute or two at a time, and virtually unwatchable for a minute or two at a time.

If it were free, I'd be willing to give them a pass and bitch to AD... but we're paying CSTV, so we expect the basics of quality (stream watchability, in particular) to be addressed no matter whether it's CSTV's fault or Cornell's fault. I honestly don't care: just fix it!

Anyway Trustnduzt, I know this isn't your fault, but if you could pass the dissatisfaction with the quality issues along to CSTV and to whoever maintains the hardware on Cornell's end, that would be great. I would check the obvious things first: make sure there aren't rogue processes on the encoder consuming too much CPU or network bandwidth, and make sure the ethernet connection from the server to the rest of the campus network isn't flawed.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: February 03, 2006 10:18PM

I hear ya. I'd be pissed as well. I don't really understand that problems over at CSTV and can't really think of what else it could be.

However, I hope the video looked better tonight after all your suggestions -- they were duely noted!

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:19PM

Trustnduzt
As far as any other problem, it must have be CSTV. Maybe their bandwidth was crowded with so many games? I really don't know...
They use Akamai to serve their streams, so it's safe to say that bandwidth on CSTV's part wasn't the issue. I can almost guarantee the problem was at the source.

Kyle

Date: February 03, 2006 10:19PM

I did mention the problems from last week to one of the Cornell guys -- hopefully it'll get passed on.

It may also be the new system that they installed for the web cast as well...though that really shouldn't be messing it up.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:26PM

Trustnduzt - thanks for posting here. It was basically unwatchable the 1st 2 periods, a slide show every 15 seconds at best, lots of rebuffering and frozen screens, and sometimes nothing. Third period was somewhat better, with a few 3 minute consecutive periods of action.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:26PM

In the beginning of the game?!

I mean when the video completely disappeared in the beginning. I know the rest was on-and-off choppy, but it was there. Trustnduzt said the cable was kicked out and he didn't notice it, hence the total loss early.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:28PM

That's interesting. I had a better 2nd period overall than 3rd. The 3rd finally started to have more up-time than down about half-way through.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:28PM

It shouldn't be like that though! Ugh...I mean you guys paid for this stuff! At the next home game, I'll absolutely confront the main video guy again and mention the problem.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:32PM

Thank you. I spend more time swearing at the computer than I do enjoying and even knowing what is happening in the games sometimes. I am not worried about great picture quality, since this is a new technology, but I would like the action and play-calling to smooth enough to follow. Especially when everything freezes just as what looks like it might be a big play is occurring.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:34PM

So back to the game,

My favorite part was absolutely the crowd. The red was unbelievable. I took a friend to her first CU hockey game ever, and she said it was the best sports event she'd ever been to. She's hooked.

Our pentalty kill was fantastic; we dominated that game the entire time, and the effort was there 99.9% of the time. The .1% we skimped, they scored. I think we got lazy with a 3-0 lead. I fully expect a win tomorrow night if they can keep this up, hopefully with Pokulok back in it.

GO RED!

-Alex Barash '07

Date: February 03, 2006 10:36PM

Totally agreed. And the Colgate PK was dreadful.

I really like how the team continues to attack the net even when the powerplay ends -- that's how we got the 3rd goal.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:45PM

Trustnduzt
.... As far as any other problem, it must have be CSTV. Maybe their bandwidth was crowded with so many games? I really don't know...
The company line from CSTV is the problem is at Cornell's end. Oddly, the basketball feed was perfection (as best as a Webcast feed can be).

Date: February 03, 2006 10:48PM

We may notice the cinematography improvements if we watch the replay. The game itself for most viewers was only viewable for a couple minutes and the rest was freezeframes or no signal.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:48PM

After an 0-4 ECAC start, Dartmouth's 9-1-1 in their last eleven.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:49PM

That's gonna be a big game.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:53PM

Don't look now. They are in 3rd behind us with 19 pts. uhoh

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:58PM

I was actually pretty disappointed with the "sea of red." I suppose it was more than usual, but there still seemed to be a TON of people who missed it. What bothered me the most was that a bunch of the ones who weren't wearing red were starting cheers. I suppose it's the least they could do to make up for not wearing red, but I was still kind of annoyed... seemed pretty facetimer-y (as much as I hate that word).

Speaking of annoying... this one guy in my section had the nerve to show up halfway through the second period and get all pissed off that there were people in his seat. I'm guessing he had had a bit to drink, b/c he was yelling pretty intensely, and eventually called one of the guards over to try to kick people out. He tried to use the argument that he had waited in line "all night" for his seat (poor baby)... yet he didn't care enough to show up for the first half of the game? Fortunately, the guard that came over was reasonable, and just kind of laughed at him when the people in his seat pointed out that there were people in THEIR seats as well. But I mean, come on... I don't think anyone who sits in the student section can remember a time when they sat in their ACTUAL ticketed seat. What an idiot.

So that's my take on various aspects of the fans at the game. I suppose I'll get yelled at for not discussing more of the hockey component, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway :) Awesome game!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 10:59PM by las224.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:02PM

Best game they've played all season. They played outstanding in all aspects of the game. The fact that they did it without their two best players makes it even more impressive. Gleed and Krantz logged a ton of minutes and played the best games I have ever seen either of them play. Sawada has been coming on for a couple weeks and I think his offensive emergence will continue; this wasn't just a fluke night for him. Pegoraro was outstanding defensively.
3 Stars:
1. Gleed
2. Sawada
3. Pegoraro

Tomorrow night will be the toughest game of the season. Plain and simple. We really see what this team is made of tomorrow.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:03PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm a little relieved about Colgate's goal. Sure, a shutout would have been nice; but we have an annoying habit of kicking ass one night and then going into the next night assuming a win and then losing. Hopefully the Colgate goal will shake our guys up enough to help them realize that just cause they won, doesn't mean they can't go out tomorrow with anything less than full force.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:06PM

las224
I was actually pretty disappointed with the "sea of red." I suppose it was more than usual, but there still seemed to be a TON of people who missed it. What bothered me the most was that a bunch of the ones who weren't wearing red were starting cheers. I suppose it's the least they could do to make up for not wearing red, but I was still kind of annoyed... seemed pretty facetimer-y (as much as I hate that word).

Speaking of annoying... this one guy in my section had the nerve to show up halfway through the second period and get all pissed off that there were people in his seat. I'm guessing he had had a bit to drink, b/c he was yelling pretty intensely, and eventually called one of the guards over to try to kick people out. He tried to use the argument that he had waited in line "all night" for his seat (poor baby)... yet he didn't care enough to show up for the first half of the game? Fortunately, the guard that came over was reasonable, and just kind of laughed at him when the people in his seat pointed out that there were people in THEIR seats as well. But I mean, come on... I don't think anyone who sits in the student section can remember a time when they sat in their ACTUAL ticketed seat. What an idiot.

So that's my take on various aspects of the fans at the game. I suppose I'll get yelled at for not discussing more of the hockey component, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway :) Awesome game!

They almost kicked me out at that point because some old-timer said that someone slipped me the ticket. These ushers are getting way out of hand and are on enormous power trips. They get angry when we throw balloons around between periods. I mean come on. Are they told to not allow the students to have any fun whatsoever?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:14PM

Trustnduzt
It shouldn't be like that though! Ugh...I mean you guys paid for this stuff! At the next home game, I'll absolutely confront the main video guy again and mention the problem.

Thanks Trust. Yeah, it was pretty awful. By the beginning of the third, I could mostly watch it, but it was still jumpy. Not sure what cable you're talking about, cause there was video all along, it was just awful. The video was definitely there for most of the 1st and 2nd, but just totally unwatchable. I'd get 15 seconds of video/audio, follow by 10 seconds of freeze frame/silence... rinse and repeat. And sometimes I'd get nothing at all.

You said something about a new system... in my experience, I've never seen a new system go smoothly. That jumps right out at me as a major cause of suspicion. I'd really suggest they look into that.

See, this is what I meant about communication... if CSTV could contact you and tell you that we're all getting awful quality, you could look into it. But instead, I get the feeling you all have no idea. Which is just an awful way to run a system.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:35PM

from the uscho recap: [Q] Cornell Rides Crowd To 4-1 Win Over Colgate
Big Red Draw Within One Of ECACHL Lead
by Josh Krieger/USCHO Arena Reporter
ITHACA, N.Y. — Flying in from the student side of Lynah Rink, a storm of toothpaste containers rained down on the Colgate Raiders as they took the ice for the first game of a home-and-home series with their travel partner, Cornell.
[/Q]

I thought they discontinued that. For the last 3 years of my undergrad (through '04) the ushers never let us throw toothpaste.

Happy to hear it's back

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:49PM

A-19
from the uscho recap: [Q] Cornell Rides Crowd To 4-1 Win Over Colgate
Big Red Draw Within One Of ECACHL Lead
by Josh Krieger/USCHO Arena Reporter
ITHACA, N.Y. — Flying in from the student side of Lynah Rink, a storm of toothpaste containers rained down on the Colgate Raiders as they took the ice for the first game of a home-and-home series with their travel partner, Cornell.
[/Q]

I thought they discontinued that. For the last 3 years of my undergrad (through '04) the ushers never let us throw toothpaste.

Happy to hear it's back
well they dont let us all throw fish either... nut

Date: February 04, 2006 12:33AM

The balloons weren't flesh color, were they?

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:46AM

Not unless flesh color = green, in which case you should seek medical attention immediately

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 02:18AM

The faithful were great. There were an awful lot of toothpaste boxes out there.

las, I think we sit in the same section. That guy was showing up for his second game all season- he showed up against slut with his twin brother and proceeded to act like a douche bag. (I sit right in front of where they did). Maybe if he showed up at any point earlier in the season, or perhaps if came in time, we'd care. What a facetimer.

We had some great cheers today. I started a University/toothpaste that picked up well :-)

Let's hope they bring it to colgate tomorrow.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 06:28AM

calgARI '07
These ushers are getting way out of hand and are on enormous power trips. They get angry when we throw balloons around between periods. I mean come on. Are they told to not allow the students to have any fun whatsoever?
There are a couple bad cases, but for the most part the ushers are great, especially considering they have to put up with... well... us. They get it from all sides -- the AD wants them to be the SS, the parents want them to be the fuck/shit censor board, the kids want to throw burning Section O old ladies soaked in 151 on the ice, the facetimers want to steal your seat. (And who would you call if you arrived 10 minutes before the game and some guy in your seat wouldn't budge? That's right.) When I see the ushers I think of the bouncers in "Roadhouse." Just be nice to them; we're having fun, they're working.

Ithaca Journal citing Mike on Pokulok
Date: February 04, 2006 07:30AM

From Saturday's Journal: "And late in the second period, defenseman Sasha Pokulok fell and was lost for the game. Pokulok may be back for tonight's game, said Cornell coach Mike Schafer."

Re: Ithaca Journal citing Mike on Pokulok
Date: February 04, 2006 08:03AM

Let's hope it's a twisted knee bothering Pokoluk and not something that needs surgery and rehab. Hanes is already lost for the season before it started, O'Byrne comes and goes (let's hope that's short term), now Pokoluk. We should be relieved our own M&M twins, McKee and Moulson, are still standing.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 08:29AM

billhoward
Hanes is already lost for the season before it started,

who is hanes?

Date: February 04, 2006 08:47AM

Dpperk29
billhoward

who is hanes?
Knits cheap underwear.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:53AM

BMac
las, I think we sit in the same section. That guy was showing up for his second game all season- he showed up against slut with his twin brother and proceeded to act like a douche bag. (I sit right in front of where they did). Maybe if he showed up at any point earlier in the season, or perhaps if came in time, we'd care. What a facetimer.

The whole thing just makes me keep trying to think of ways to improve the hockey line for next year so that people who CARE will get seats. I don't know if this has ever been suggested, but what about waiting on line to get your line number, and then each week, signing on to some kind of web system to pick seats for that week's games only? If people had to take the time to pick tickets up each week, they might actually bother showing up... and if they didn't pick them up, the tickets could go to someone else. Maybe even add the clause that you can't pick up your tickets unless you're wearing red :) Still doesn't solve the problem of the initial rush, but it might encourage fans to be a bit more Faithful, or at least to only get tickets when they're actually planning on coming to the game. While we're talking about my "ideal" system, what if the tickets were scanned upon entry, and after the first 15 minutes, any ticketholders that haven't shown up will have their seats sold to a waitlist? It's done in theater; I don't see why it can't be done for hockey too.

All the talk about how to improve the ticket line has stopped, but it seems like now would be the time to come up with a great solution so that we don't have another Stampede next year.

Date: February 04, 2006 12:05PM

Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29
billhoward
who is hanes?
Knits cheap underwear.
Shane's the guy sitting in the Portland Pirates dressing room in his boxers because he's been injured so much this year. He could have been doing that for us.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:17PM

Just a few thoughts respond to the major topics on this thread...
Being one of the several people booted the middle of B because I was (gasp) 4 rows down from where my ticket actually is, I decided to roam a little and head over to the other side, above sections D and E. I was really impressed with the energy and volume on that side. It's hard to hear across the rink most of the time, so that's the only reason I was surprised. In general, the crowd was unbelievable, and it was great to hear.
As for the game, I noticed two things that haven't been mentioned much. First, Carefoot played a really strong game, perhaps his best of the season. He didn't do much for the box score, but his agressiveness on the forecheck was wreaking havoc on the Colgate breakout. He was not the only player to play well, but he certainly caught my attention.
Secondly, on the other side of the puck, Cornell's breakout has been infinitely better during the last 2 weekends. A lot of this has to do with Pokoluk, but even after his early departure, they were moving the puck with a lot of confidence and gaining the offensive zone with relatively little trouble. That is a really good sign for a team that made everyone nervous on the breakout for the first half of the season.
Let's hope all of this continues tonight...

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 02:40PM

I sit in B as well but have friends who sit in E so I've been there for a second period or two. Those sections don't know as many cheers (they don't do the red line..idiot or even kill, red, kill; I started the KRK one and they thought it was LGR). Still, they're a lot louder and more cohesive than where I sit IMO. I was kinda disappointed with sections A and B after I sat in E for a period.

Last night every section was great, so I'm not saying it's bad all the time. Karlmoose has a point though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login