Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Impressions from SLU(t)/Clarkson weekend at Lynah

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Impressions from SLU(t)/Clarkson weekend at Lynah
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:38PM

Having just gotten back from my first trip to Lynah in 2-1/2 years, I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm of sections A and B (at least with the limited attendance probably affected somewhat by break).

On Friday, I stood in section E, and it was great: D, E, and F seemed to have their act together and cheered pretty much in unison, and often. Some good clever cheers and LOTS of heckling of Pesony from that end, too.

On Saturday, I started off in A about two rows behind Age, and dayummm, was it quiet whenever the Pep Band wasn't (rightly) shattering my eardrums. Very little cheering in general, anemic remote control goalie, precious little heckling, primarily reserved for "Clitsome". :) Maybe I'm not loud enough, but I wasn't able to get anything going. :P

So I went back to E for the third period. Loads better. :)

I have to say that the only real downside to sitting in E is that I was too far away from the band to hear it clearly, so I was embarrassingly off by almost a full step on the Gary Glitter "1-2-1234" deal (which no one else seems to do anymore, anyway). I really wish the band were either near the red line or at the east end, so the sound would reach the entire student section instead of being blocked by 1700 standing bodies and the press box. Maybe with the renovations...

But I gave in on all the cheer changes I think are downgrades ("diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeee!" and "See ya.......you goon!" come to mind) and achieved inner peace: better for all of us to be cheering the same thing than to get self-righteous about it.

Anyway, I had a great time, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing beats going home.

Cheers,
Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 11:09PM by krose.

Re: Impressions from SLU(t)/Clarkson weekend at Lynah
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:46PM

Section B has the occassional flash of brilliance. Section A has been awful all season, half empty more often than not and without any personalities to lead cheers. I have sworn off the "(school) sucks" cheer for the rest of my life because I hear it so much and it sounds so asinine.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:51PM

Section B was much better on Saturday night. The issue was actually more frat/sorority rush than it being the end of break. I thought the crowd was excellent on Saturday actually and the best it has been since the MSU weekend. We started some really good cheers last night too that caught on by the end. The "blue line/red line, idiot cheer" was particularly good (pointing the at the blueline or redline depending on it being icing or offsides and then pointing at the guy responsible and calling him idiot).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 10:54PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:29PM

calgARI '07
The issue was actually more frat/sorority rush than it being the end of break.

I think rush in conjunction with people not getting back from break led to a pretty skimpy student section. Section D was extremely thin both games (especially in the back few rows). It's a shame we had to host the North Country teams this past weekend. Overall I've been fairly pleased with the crowd this year. I agree with you that the MSU crowd was the best of the season--which is odd considering the crowd should improve with "experience." Maybe the poor performance during the Capital District weekend quelled some of the fair-weather enthusiasm. I think the best crowds are still ahead of us (Colgate, Dartmouthl, Harvard, ECAC Playoffs).

I agree with Section A about the "insert school" SUCKS cheer. If everyone of those cheers was replaced with, "Lets Go Red!"(which at least in my mind NEVER gets old), I would be a happy man. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again "Safety School" is the lamest cheer. It's mildly amusing against Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but against the likes of St. Lawrence, Q-pac, RIT, Niagra, etc. it just sounds snobish and bratty. Instead of "Safety School" why not just "Michigan Rejects" etc. (against MSU)? It's at least a little more creative and school specific.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:29PM

Hey Kyle, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. D, E, F, and G have been doing really well all season. A large, large group of true undergrad Faithful ended up there after the stampede fiasco. Those sections are filled with students sporting the Faithful T-shirts, so the good fans are easy to find there. As previously pointed out, the top several rows of A have been >50% empty for many games, which is sad because the band would love to let more people in. B has had its good nights and bad nights. And rush really did cut down on numbers this weekend, though I don't understand why they would purposely schedule against home hockey.

krose
I have to say that the only real downside to sitting in E is that I was too far away from the band to hear it clearly, so I was embarrassingly off by almost a full step on the Gary Glitter "1-2-1234" deal (which no one else seems to do anymore, anyway). I really wish the band were either near the red line or at the east end, so the sound would reach the entire student section instead of being blocked by 1700 standing bodies and the press box. Maybe with the renovations...

I agree with you for acoustical reasons, but I'd hate to see a solidly reliable group of hecklers moved so far from the opposing goalie. There have also been several threads discussing the "advantage" of having us near the opposing locker room, though that may change with the renovations.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:49PM

Section A Banshee
Section B has the occassional flash of brilliance. Section A has been awful all season, half empty more often than not and without any personalities to lead cheers. I have sworn off the "(school) sucks" cheer for the rest of my life because I hear it so much and it sounds so asinine.

section A just misses me, that's all :)

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 12:29AM

Bryan '06
And rush really did cut down on numbers this weekend, though I don't understand why they would purposely schedule against home hockey.

[sorority girl]
No sorority schedules against hockey, per se, as rush parties end in the late afternoon. Meetings about potential new members may take up hockey time, but I know last year, when I missed the Friday night game, it's because I was so tired from nightly parties and mentally exhausted from talking to and trying to remember everything about 15-65 girls per day and hoarse from trying to talk over 200 people for 8 hours and in pain from a week of very high heels that I simply forgot it was Friday and 7 pm. Rush sucks. I'd say I also suck for missing the game, but I'm a bigger hockey fan than most sorority girls and I understand how others would voluntarily skip it.
[/sorority girl]

Posted by: ctenah (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:15AM

Fraternity rush contacts were from 7-9. We couldn't leave our dorms on penalty of not receiving bids. I gave my ticket away instead.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 02:04AM

redhair34
I agree with you that the MSU crowd was the best of the season...
I take full credit. :-D

(And - shameless plug - if anyone can help me find tickets for the Harvard and Dartmouth games, I will do my best to make sure that A will be as good the last home weekend as it was the first home weekend. help)

Posted by: jy3 (---.alb.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:21AM

jmh30

(And - shameless plug - if anyone can help me find tickets for the Harvard and Dartmouth games, I will do my best to make sure that A will be as good the last home weekend as it was the first home weekend. help)

ditto for this for me...
games over break/at the end of break are always a tough draw. it would be a great community service if they did the "donate your tickets to local hockey kids" again. in an organized wayl...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 12:14PM

[q]I simply forgot it was Friday and 7 pm.[/q]You actually forgot that it was time for a Cornell hockey game? How is that possible? You are hereby banished and excommunicated!!!!!!!! :-P :-D :-P

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: January 23, 2006 12:21PM

KeithK
[q]I simply forgot it was Friday and 7 pm.[/q]You actually forgot that it was time for a Cornell hockey game? How is that possible? You are hereby banished and excommunicated!!!!!!!! :-P :-D :-P
You kid, but I never missed a game. In fact, I can probably count the few for which I wasn't there by the start of warmups on two hands (in unary).

Oh, that's right, I had no life. :)

Kyle

Date: January 23, 2006 12:25PM

KeithK
You are hereby banished and excommunicated!!!!!!!! :-P :-D :-P

I live in Pensacola, Florida. Do you think I didn't already know this? ;-)

Date: January 23, 2006 12:25PM

Once I actually got season tickets (ashamed to admit that I was a grad student by then) I never missed a home game for the remainder of my time on the hill (5 years). I can only remember one occasion where I wasn't there for warmups, but it could have been a couple of times.

[q]Oh, that's right, I had no life.[/q]I was a Ph.D. student. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:00PM

I missed exactly one home game in my four years: a 0-7 loss to Providence on Nov 28, 1993. Looking at that score, maybe I didn't miss it after all (borrowing punchline from "Office Space";). :-P

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:18PM

I think the "Section O Sucks" is WAY overused this year.

Against Clarkson, yeah, definitly bring that one out. But against Niagara, Union, US 18 under team... definitly not neccessary to hear that one 10 times a game!

Date: January 23, 2006 01:19PM

Doug '08
I think the "Section O Sucks" is WAY overused this year.

Against Clarkson, yeah, definitly bring that one out. But against Niagara, Union, US 18 under team... definitly not neccessary to hear that one 10 times a game!

I second that.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:20PM

JasonN95
I missed exactly one home game in my four years: a 0-7 loss to Providence on Nov 28, 1993. Looking at that score, maybe I didn't miss it after all (borrowing punchline from "Office Space";). :-P

"Peter, it looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately"

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob"

Well, I missed the games over winter break, but that was about it - although I did come up for a Vermont/Dartmouth winter break pair one year. I even skipped the housing lottery and did proxy one year because my number's time conflicted with a hockey game - maybe even playoff.

The only game I missed while I was in Ithaca, was Dartmouth, in early 2000 - that would be "the Nick Boucher Classic"... for some reason it was pushed to a weekday night (something to do with the elephant walk, maybe?), and I had my first class of a writing seminar that night. Hard to skip the first of a 10 person discussion class. And, well, I was a freshman.

Date: January 23, 2006 01:40PM

[q]Hard to skip the first of a 10 person discussion class. And, well, I was a freshman.[/q]Well, if I could regularly sleep in one of my writing seminars you could probably have skipped one with a good reason (hockey). It's all about priorities and conveying them to your instructor (cue Jeff Kahn's exam story...)

But you were only a freshman.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 02:14PM

If people that are in the student sections don't like the cheers being led, then start ones that you want to hear. The group of like 10 or 15 people in the middle of B start the vast majority of cheers but we beg other people to start them more. I almost collapsed on Saturday night from screaming so much. The problem is that not a lot of people in A/B are cheering much less starting cheers. When Lynah is silent on a stoppage, and nothing is happening, often I will just start yelling Section O sucks to give a tad bit of variety to the constant "insert sucks" (even though I love that cheer and don't think there could ever be too much). I think it's funny to constantly be ripping on/recognizing the visiting fans even if there are none just for the sake of getting A/B a pulse from time to time. Also as I said earlier, the pointing at the blue line/red line and then the culprit for offsides/icing and saying "idiot" was really funny and caught on pretty well. The Kill Red Kill cheer has also picked up a lot and can safely be said that it has been added to the rotation.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:16PM

Listening to the web feeds, I noticed a big improvement in the fans for the Clarkson game over the SLU game. The fans didn't sound too bad for SLU, but they sounded very loud and energized for the Clarkson game. I know Clarkson is a bigger, long-term rival, but with SLU's spot in the standings and the PWR going into the weekend, I figured that game would be very energized as well. Not a knock, I just hope we can keep up the volume I was hearing on the Clarkson feed.

Personally, I think the (insert school) sucks, section O sucks, etc. are trite, boring, and overused. They have their place occasionally during each game, but we pride ourselves on originality and can certainly do better. At the ECAC's last year, I was sitting next to a couple of guys who were from Albany and there simply as good, college hockey fans. They loved our cheers like "Our team's sleeping", but weren't very impressed by the general "sucks" cheers being used over and over again. I'm glad the students are coming up with new ideas like the "Kill Red Kill" cheer. I am confident they can implement more good ideas like this to replace some of the recent, no longer applicable original ones like "Hey, Bâby".

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:20PM

yeah...Bâby (when are ya gonna KILL someone?";) was a "goon"...he should have been recruited by Clarkson...lol.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:20PM

It goes in cycles. Some classes, as a whole, just seem to be more imaginative than others. Maybe the "talented tenth" really fluctuates between 5% and 15%.

For the past couple of seasons, the students have been fairly unimaginative (and so the boilerplate and cruder cheers have taken over). This has happened before (mid 80's, mid 90's). It will pick up again.

Date: January 23, 2006 03:25PM

[Q]"Our team's sleeping"[/Q]

Cheer of the weekend, without a doubt. :-D You know it's good when the cheer is inconsistent cause people keep laughing in the middle of it.

Right up there with other recent classics like, "Hey Harvard, all 6 of your jerk fans called..."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 03:26PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:29PM

Trotsky
It goes in cycles. Some classes, as a whole, just seem to be more imaginative than others. Maybe the "talented tenth" really fluctuates between 5% and 15%.

For the past couple of seasons, the students have been fairly unimaginative (and so the boilerplate and cruder cheers have taken over). This has happened before (mid 80's, mid 90's). It will pick up again.

For example, I feel we had a pretty good crew in A/B that graduated in '04.

Date: January 23, 2006 03:30PM

DeltaOne81

Cheer of the weekend, without a doubt. :-D You know it's good when the cheer is inconsistent cause people keep laughing in the middle of it.

Maybe even cheer of the year. That was definitely a classic. We have created some great cheers to use on a regular basis, but it is tough to beat one that comes out of the blue like that. I told all of my friends and family about that one when I came home. Kudos to whomever actually thought of it.

Date: January 23, 2006 03:35PM

Now that we have had over half a season to evaluate the effects of this year's ticket "line", does anyone have any comments on how it has affected the unity, frequency, and volume of the cheering this year? I know some rightfully pissed-off students predicted dire results after the original fiasco, but as the season has gone on it sounds like there may have actually been some benefits from spreading some of the truly Faithful around.

Date: January 23, 2006 03:35PM

cth95
DeltaOne81

Maybe even cheer of the year. That was definitely a classic. We have created some great cheers to use on a regular basis, but it is tough to beat one that comes out of the blue like that. I told all of my friends and family about that one when I came home. Kudos to whomever actually thought of it.

For this year I'd have to nominate..."Live Free DIE!" :-D

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:48PM

"The old man in the mountain called, he said 'aaaaahhhhhh!!'"

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:49PM

cth95
DeltaOne81

I wasn't at the game -- what was the meaning of that cheer?

Date: January 23, 2006 03:54PM

[Q]"The old man in the mountain called, he said 'aaaaahhhhhh!!"[/Q]

That's a great one. I lived less than an hour from Franconia,NH in VT, when the Old Man fell. It was definitely a shock when, after about 3 cloudy, rainy days, all of a sudden there was no Old Man when the skies cleared again. There was a pile of rubble at the bottom of the cliff, but no one had heard or seen the rocks fall.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 04:00PM

HeafDog
cth95
DeltaOne81

I wasn't at the game -- what was the meaning of that cheer?
Cornell and Vermont played in the early game, while Harvard and Colgate went to a long overtime in the late game. That got Harvard good and tired for the championship the following day.

Date: January 23, 2006 04:00PM

I'm sure the Old Man maintenance crew was the same speedy group that ran the restaurant we ate in before the game that didn't happen.

Date: January 23, 2006 04:11PM

Section A Banshee
DeltaOne81
"Our team's sleeping"

Cornell and Vermont played in the early game, while Harvard and Colgate went to a long overtime in the late game. That got Harvard good and tired for the championship the following day.

Not just a overtime, but 2... nearly 3:
[www.uscho.com]

Crazy third period too. Colgate tied it at 1 0:27 in, and Harvard took the lead twice, 2-1, and 3-2, only to be tied with 0:45 afterwards both times.

Date: January 23, 2006 04:12PM

[Q] I wasn't at the game -- what was the meaning of that cheer?[/Q]

We had already beaten UVM 3-0 fairly easily in the early game (2005 ECAC's). Harvard and Colgate were in a really tough battle, with both teams really taking it to each other throughout the game. There were still more Cornell fans (at least more vocal) then there seemed to be fans cheering for either of these teams. Of course, we were all cheering for the teams to beat the crap out of each other so whichever team won would be dead for our game. We never figured we would get our hopes answered with multiple overtimes, but whenever a team scored we would all cheer for the team that was still down. I think we cheered louder than the Colgate fans when Colgate tied it twice in the 3rd period. I think sometime late in the 1st overtime (maybe early in the 2nd) the cheer came up. I think it was even later than 11:00 PM. Absolutely awesome. :-D

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: January 23, 2006 04:12PM

Ack
I'm sure the Old Man maintenance crew was the same speedy group that ran the restaurant we ate in before the game that didn't happen.

Ack, I'm hurt that they are insulting the current students creativity after our many hilarious cheers, and my new favorite your revolutionary war musket comment.

Date: January 23, 2006 04:20PM

cth95
I think sometime late in the 1st overtime (maybe early in the 2nd) the cheer came up. I think it was even later than 11:00 PM. Absolutely awesome. :-D

I would curious so I looked it up :)

Friday, March 18, 2005
Colgate (CLG) vs Harvard (HAR)
Non-Conference Game
ECAC Hockey League Semifinal (Albany, NY)

Final Score: Harvard 4, Colgate 3 - 2OT
New Records: Harvard 21-8-3, Colgate 24-10-3

Referee: Alex Dell
Assistant Referees: Scott Whittemore, Chip MacDonald
Attendance: 7580
Start Time: 7:38 pm End Time: 11:42 pm Total Time: 4:04

Source: [www.collegehockeystats.net]

Date: January 23, 2006 05:09PM

Jacob '06
Ack, I'm hurt that they are insulting the current students creativity after our many hilarious cheers, and my new favorite your revolutionary war musket comment.

Revolutionary war musket comment?

Date: January 23, 2006 05:13PM

Ack

Who remembers what the other two (three?) parts of that cheer were? It was definitely a very good one, and ought to be remembered for future years.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:28PM

Yeah, it certainly didn't hurt our cause...by the beginning of the second overtime the teams looked like they could barely stand

Date: January 23, 2006 05:33PM

Liz '05
Jacob '06

Revolutionary war musket comment?

"Hey _____, you shoot like a Revolutionary War musket- very inaccurately!"

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:38PM

Well Clarkson's fan section kept up with their "Here we go Clarkson..." for basically the whole game.

To mix things up from the "Section O sucks" some friends and I tried for the "get a new cheer" with the subsequent claps but it ended up being just our little section in the first few rows of A carrying it on. I don't know what the deal is with the rest of the section, it seems like too many people in A and B are just listening to other people not joining in. I know we can hear Ari and his group in the middle of B but most of the time we have to really listen hard to determine what is being said because they seem to be the only ones yelling.

And not like it hasn't been mentioned many times before, but people really need to show up on time. Section A has been dreadfully empty all year, and routinely has people showing up at 8 to try and fill in seats in the first five rows. I think we could understand a few seats in front of the band being empty for the obvious, but beautiful noise, but seats on the glass being empty into the second period? That just makes us look awfully disinterested.

Date: January 23, 2006 05:43PM

[Q]"Hey _____, you shoot like a Revolutionary War musket- very inaccurately!"[/Q]

Are you actually able to enunciate that enmass? That would be hard to hear clearly even if only one person said it. It is a clever idea, but it seems like a lot of syllables for a group cheer. Maybe "Hey ___, You aim like a Scud missile! Off Target!". Same idea, but more concise. 11 vs. 21 syllables not counting the name.

Date: January 23, 2006 05:44PM

Liz '05
Ack

Who remembers what the other two (three?) parts of that cheer were? It was definitely a very good one, and ought to be remembered for future years.

There was "Keggy called", "I'm tapped".

I cant remember the third. I want to say it was something to do with Daniel Webster, but that may have been other cheers.

Or it may have been Jeb Bartlet related, since he was from New Hampshire.

Mike would know best, he put together most of it.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:45PM

I was in A and didn't join in on "get a new cheer" because, frankly, who are we to talk?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:45PM

Hugh Jessimen called: he said: BYE

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:50PM

My favorite was: Hey Harvard/Colgate, its 11 o'clock, do you know where your pillow is?

When harvard won it, there was minor harvard celebration, and then the whole rink was suddenly filled with 'LGR! LGR! LGR!' and you could just see the harvard fans getting very said as they remembered whose fans would be around tomorrow night too.

The next morning, my friend Jenn encounted Ryan Lannon in the pool of her hotel in d-town albany, and he begged the cornell fans to be nice to him.

Date: January 23, 2006 05:56PM

No, it's just been me or a second voice. Thanks for the modern version though.

Date: January 23, 2006 06:00PM

I see your point, but our whole idea was to change up the night's cheers so we could have a new one besides the standard and overused "Section O sucks"

Like Ari said, after too much cheering by yourself you are gonna get tired of it and little light headed to boot.

Date: January 23, 2006 06:06PM

Keep thinking of good ideas. The only reason I thought of that is because you already came up with the basic idea. The biggest thing is to make them short and sweet so they work in a crowd setting.

Date: January 23, 2006 06:11PM

I forgot about the "LGR" cheers after their game. I can't imagine how much that must suck to have won such a big game and, instead of hearing your fans going nuts, have to listen to fans rooting for a team that didn't even play in that game.

Damn, we're good. rock

Date: January 23, 2006 06:33PM

Long and complicated is great for one or two people to do at a stoppage when it's gotten pretty quiet. A really clever one can sometimes get half the rink laughing their asses off, including some of the players.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 06:34PM

I think what would help the most would be a little bit of research/dissemination of some good cheers before the game. I was in G for the Clarkson game, and as soon as we saw Clitsome's name, we were trying to come up with a taunt that would be at least SOMEWHAT appropriate (and not get us kicked out). Unfortunately, we didn't come up with a good one that caught on.

Also - with McNulty breaking his stick the night before in a fit of rage after losing, we were contemplating a cheer of "break your stick" when things weren't going his way. However, we didn't think most people would get it.

As someone said, the Faithful are all spread out, and people on this board are sitting in all different sections. If we looked up some player info and posted some cheers on here a day or two before the game, then some people in each section would know what was up, and hopefully be able to pass it on to the others, either by cheering it themselves or by explaining why something like "break your stick" is funny. The impromptu cheers can be great, but other sections can't pick up on them if they have no idea what's being said.

Date: January 23, 2006 06:38PM

[q]If we looked up some player info and posted some cheers on here a day or two before the game[/q]At least buy a program so you can heckle the guys by name instead of "Hey #23 - you suck!". Plus, you get early notice of exploitable names like Clitsome. You actually didn't come up with something to do with that? I'm disappointed.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 06:39PM

The joke was obvious - verbalizing it without being too graphic is what proved difficult.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 06:39PM

Dartmouth player names are the best because you can try to make sentences out of them. Johnson Offers Johnson Swallow.

Posted by: fink (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 23, 2006 06:43PM

I was a fan of the section A/B "Sieve wants Clitsome" durring a couple of times that Clitsome and Clarkson's sieve were alone talking at the net several times...

Date: January 23, 2006 06:52PM

I'm nitpicking here but didn't Leggio start the night before. He was in net for the replay of the game they showed on channel 26 saturday afternoon. We were giving him crap about his play in that game before the line up announcements.

We got a wink and some kisses out of him, but being the backup at Lynah he can afford to not have his whole head in the game.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 06:52PM

Unfortunately we never saw him get hit really hard, but we started "Clitsome got licked" anyways.

Date: January 23, 2006 06:53PM

Thats the only Clitsome he can get....

Re: Clitsome
Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 08:55PM

You guys are slipping.

Grant is a sophomore so you've seen him before and have had since last year to come up with something. :-}

Date: January 23, 2006 09:43PM

Jacob '06
Dartmouth player names are the best because you can try to make sentences out of them. Johnson Offers Johnson Swallow.

A classic. If only that game happened. One more chance.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:34PM

Jacob '06

I may have been the only one to notice this, but at the SLU(T) game, during the national anthems, the three players closest to the townie side, from left to right, were "Bagnall" "Rank" "Hogg". There's gotta be a joke somewhere in there.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:36AM

Me and a few friends in G were yelling at McNulty to break his stick. Then... his stick broke, and he had to get a new one. Hilarious.

Even better, in the third period, he lost his stick and had to use another player's regular stick, and almost immediately gave up a goal.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:30AM

I think the most Dartmouth players we wound up geting into one sentence went something like this:

Lovejoy Bellows, Offers to Swallow Devine Glass Johnsons

Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:29AM

I was at both games this weekend. For SLU(t) I was unfortunately seated in section O because I had my godparents (huge Hershey Bears hockey fans) up for the game and that was the only way I could be sure to get three tickets. It wasn't too bad there though. I got to meet the sweater guy and the other St. Lawrence fans who were fun to talk to. My godparents loved the game, but section B/A sounded more like they were at a funeral at some points that night rather than at a hockey game.

For Clarkson, I managed to snag a section A ticket at the last minute from some helpful friends. I proceeded to my old home in the middle of section B since it was about 6:50 and the stands there were still plenty empty (unfortunately, as usual). The crowd in B seemed much more into it that night, but then I have some bias since I was there. Still, I found that other fans there were pretty quiet, which makes me wonder why they felt it was so important to get a section B ticket in the first place. Overall, I thought my time in B for the Clarkson game was way better than when I was there for the Union game, and it was a lot of fun.

There's plenty about the specific cheers that has already been said. I definitely agree that the "(insert school name here) SUCKS" is a bit overused, mainly because it's seemingly easy to lead (even though many botch the rhythm of it that a trained monkey could pick up). I like the cheer though and enjoy doing it, but I like to keep it for stoppages of play when the band doesn't play and the Faithful need to just make some noise. One thing that has really bugged me the past few years is the dejected silence that comes after we're scored upon instead of a powerful LGR. When I first started going to games back in 2000, that was probably the aspect of the Faithful that really struck me as a sign that I was joining some great fans. Even when we're scored on, our fans would show that the team wasn't beaten and we weren't going to let up. Why not? Because that's exactly what the other team wants to do whenever they come to Lynah - take the crowd out of the game. Gotta get going now, but it was nice to post.

- Ryan

Date: January 24, 2006 12:15PM

that loud guy with the hair
One thing that has really bugged me the past few years is the dejected silence that comes after we're scored upon instead of a powerful LGR. When I first started going to games back in 2000, that was probably the aspect of the Faithful that really struck me as a sign that I was joining some great fans. Even when we're scored on, our fans would show that the team wasn't beaten and we weren't going to let up. Why not? Because that's exactly what the other team wants to do whenever they come to Lynah - take the crowd out of the game. Gotta get going now, but it was nice to post.

They don't do that in Lynah anymore?!? I've been to 4 away games this year, and all the away fans still do it. I haven't been to Lynah, in, oh, probably 14, 15 months though. I agree with Ryan. I always (and still do) love that.

If you guys can start the "Kill Red Kill", which apparently is catching on pretty well - good job on that - then you can certainly revive this. Please, bring that back!

Re: Clitsome
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.79.219.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:41PM

RichS
You guys are slipping.

Grant is a sophomore so you've seen him before and have had since last year to come up with something. :-}

I'm with RishS here. Does no one buy a program anymore? RIT's captain's name is Hyman. I mean the possibilities are endless...and names like that don't come along every day.

If Schafer schedules Bentley (please no), Lynah can get a second crack at Tom Dickhudt ("Oh my God, there's a dickhudt on the ice!" "Hey coach, why'd you put your dickhudt out there. Put it away.";) formerly of the US U-18 team back in '02.
He's only a freshman this year, so there's plenty of time.

Date: January 24, 2006 12:46PM

DeltaOne81
One thing that has really bugged me the past few years is the dejected silence that comes after we're scored upon instead of a powerful LGR.
The crowd has cheered "LGR" after each opponent goal at every game I've been at the last few years. It's generally a little more subdued if Cornell if either up by a lot or down by a lot (although the latter hasn't happened at Lynah for a while). But when it's a close game, the crowd seems just as loud as ever to me.

One player specifically told me at an after glow that the players do hear it, understand it, and it is a lift.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 12:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:13PM

DeltaOne81
If you guys can start the "Kill Red Kill", which apparently is catching on pretty well - good job on that - then you can certainly revive this. Please, bring that back!

There's probably no cheer that garners universal support, and "Kill Red Kill" is no exception. Particularly because we already have a three-syllable chant (LGR), I'm not a big fan of KRK, to say the least, and I wish we could have something different-sounding for the PK. (And yes, I'm more than happy to suggest alternatives, but haven't historically gotten much of an enthusiastic response.)

However, given that KRK seems to have achieved a critical mass, can we at least vary it so that it runs around the rink? I suggest that A/B take the first "Kill", D/E take the "Red", and the rest of the rink take the second "Kill". Or maybe the east side take the first "Kill", the north side take the "Red", and the west side take the second "Kill".

Yes, I know this will be hard to organize, but I still don't see why it would be impossible. Similar things are done at many other sporting venues. If people liked the idea and spread the word, I'm sure the chant could get going around the rink. It might start off with the first "Kill" left hanging a few times, but people would get the idea.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:17PM

M...I...N...N.... uhhh...

sorry thats just the first thing that popped into my head

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 03:09PM

nr53

Minnesota is the best selling state for hooked on phonics.

Date: January 24, 2006 03:19PM

HeafDog
There's probably no cheer that garners universal support, and "Kill Red Kill" is no exception. Particularly because we already have a three-syllable chant (LGR), I'm not a big fan of KRK, to say the least, and I wish we could have something different-sounding for the PK.
Same here. I think a simple "Kill... kill... kill...,"low and menacing, whenever the opponent has the puck, would be fun and effective. Everybody hit the same note and vibrate the puck off the opponent's stick. :-D

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 03:20PM

Jacob '06
nr53

Minnesota is the best selling state for hooked on phonics.

Hey, don't knock it...it worked for me

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:42AM

As someone in A...

It seems like most of our section's lethargic. I'm trying to start a telephone cheer during quiet stoppages in the third, and it works well when the band doesn't go on top. Unfortunately, above us (I'm in row 5, row 6 is great too) nobody really cheers.

Rows 6 and down are generally ok, other than the guy who insists on doing the motion for gary glitter backwards. It's pretty much accepted that the first motion is always with the right hand, but people up front can't really tell...

What REALLY bothers me is that after a goal I don't hear LGR. I remember last year in B we were quite noticeable, but then again last year we felt invincible. There happens to be a big clump of about 20 freshmen at the top of A that really bog things down.

These last two games, I had no voice... I promise I'll get back to heckling this friday. When I did have full voice last (I believe Princeton) I managed to have the ENTIRE section on this guy because I managed to make him acknowledge me. It was very noticeable, so every time he was nearby from then on the entire section erupted. Good times!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 07:50AM

BMac
I remember last year in B we were quite noticeable, but then again last year we felt invincible.

Don't get spoiled :-P . We've been doing that since we were mediocre (and probably bad too, luckily that was before my time ;) ).

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:07AM

DeltaOne81
Don't get spoiled :-P . We've been doing that since we were mediocre (and probably bad too, luckily that was before my time ;) ).

You're right on one count: we were definitely doing LGR after goals even when we were bad. I mean, you can only do "the refs **** sheep" so many times. pissed

However, I'd say that you're wrong to think you're lucky to have missed the lean years. The more Cornell hockey, the better - I really have some fond memories of even "those" years... :-)

Date: January 25, 2006 10:43AM

Also, the lean years make the good years indescribably sweet.

Date: January 25, 2006 11:21AM

Trotsky

I'll extrapolate from the Dartmouth game, if you please. I'd rather not go through years of that.

Date: January 25, 2006 12:12PM

We all hope you don't have to either...

Date: January 25, 2006 01:05PM

BMac
Rows 6 and down are generally ok, other than the guy who insists on doing the motion for gary glitter backwards. It's pretty much accepted that the first motion is always with the right hand, but people up front can't really tell...

Wow, I must be getting old if we've gotten to the point where there's a consensus "first hand" to that cheer.

Date: January 25, 2006 01:11PM

Liz '05
Trotsky

I'll extrapolate from the Dartmouth game, if you please. I'd rather not go through years of that.

OK, here are two thought experiments:

Think of that Dartmouth game.

Imagine doing that 11 consecutive times.

You have just had a brief taste of January 23 - March 5, 1993.

Think of the Princeton loss.

Imagine doing that for 20 straight regular season games against Harvard.

You have just had a brief taste of Fish 'N Fowl and Lynah East, in the decade from December 8, 1985 - February 10, 1995.

Date: January 25, 2006 01:41PM

Trotsky
Liz '05
Trotsky

Think of the Princeton loss.

Imagine doing that for 20 straight regular season games against Harvard.

You have just had a brief taste of Fish 'N Fowl and Lynah East, in the decade from December 8, 1985 - February 10, 1995.

This ones probably not apt... unless you meant controlling the flow and getting the better of the play, shots, and attempts, while the other team clings to the lead and tries to kill off time... for 20 games in a row.

But with Harvard very good in the, oh, 89-ish time frame :), and Cornell's poor record at that point, I kind of figure that's not what you meant.

The Dartmouth game, in which we just didn't show up, is probably your much more legit example.

Date: January 25, 2006 01:51PM

I needed an icky, painful loss, but not one quite so rotten on the scoreboard. My first thought was the Albany Harvard loss, but that's not apt because of the stakes. The Clarkson's QF loss captures the depression and letdown of all those losses, but that was a shock, and the Harvard losses became so depressingly inevitable that the shock was finally beating them in the 90 QF and then, of course, with Schafer.

Have we all said "thank you, Schafer," lately? Cuz we should.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 01:52PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 25, 2006 02:10PM

Agreed. Can appreciate success much more when have experienced failure. Otherwise begin to take success for granted.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:38PM

Trotsky
I needed an icky, painful loss, but not one quite so rotten on the scoreboard. My first thought was the Albany Harvard loss, but that's not apt because of the stakes.

You mean Lake Placid. We've swept the ECACs (every time we've made it there) since Albany.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:06PM

I enjoy these occasional reflections back to the "dark days" of Cornell hockey. Personally, having witnessed firsthand the modern nadir of the program (as a member of the class of '95), I pretty much had resigned myself after the '94-'95 season to the belief that the team would never get anywhere near to its old glory. How happy am I that I was wrong.

I'll be at Lynah for this weekend’s games --Friday cannot get here soon enough.

Date: January 25, 2006 04:25PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
I needed an icky, painful loss, but not one quite so rotten on the scoreboard. My first thought was the Albany Harvard loss, but that's not apt because of the stakes.

You mean Lake Placid. We've swept the ECACs (every time we've made it there) since Albany.

Huh. I hadn't thought of that. You're right, I must mean LP.

Date: January 25, 2006 04:29PM

[q]But with Harvard very good in the, oh, 89-ish time frame :), and Cornell's poor record at that point, I kind of figure that's not what you meant. [/q]OTOH, Cornell was actually pretty good from 86-92 when Harvard was peaking (with the exception of Reycroft's last year in '87). It was only the last few years of the drought where Cornell teams were pretty bad.
Year    W       L       T        Pct
1986 	21 	7 	4 	.719
1987 	11 	16 	0 	.407 
1988 	19 	9 	0 	.679	
1989 	16 	13 	1 	.550
1990 	16 	10 	3 	.603
1991 	18 	11 	3 	.609
1992 	13 	10 	4 	.556
1993 	6 	19 	1 	.250
1994 	8 	17 	5 	.350
1995 	11 	15 	4 	.433

Posted by: lhayes (---.clsphila.org)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:31PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Huh. I hadn't thought of that. You're right, I must mean LP.

Weren't the ECACs in Albany in 2002? I'm pretty sure they were. I missed them (keeping my perfect record of seeing every victorious Cornell ECAC championship game since 1980), but recall wishing I was in Albany that night.

Date: January 25, 2006 04:37PM

[q]Have we all said "thank you, Schafer," lately? Cuz we should.[/q]Thank Schafer? But he's the losingest coach in Cornell hockey history! His 107 losses beats out McCutcheon's 105 and Bertrand's 104. So what if he's also coached the most games too (355 to Bertrand's 342).

(Just noticed these stats, so I couldn't resist pointing 'em out...)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.17.48.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:44PM

lhayes
Weren't the ECACs in Albany in 2002? I'm pretty sure they were. I missed them (keeping my perfect record of seeing every victorious Cornell ECAC championship game since 1980), but recall wishing I was in Albany that night.

No. They were in Placid through 2002.

Date: January 25, 2006 04:51PM

I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't we lose Manderville and Ratushny to team Canada in '92 or something like that. I know it put a huge dent in the program when they left. I was a freshman in '90-'91. I went to a bunch of games but was not a season ticket holder and did not know a lot about the team at that stage.

Date: January 25, 2006 04:57PM

They were definitely at Lake Placid. It would have been tough to ski at Whiteface all day like I did and then go to the game after if the games were in Albany. I remember not really having anything to eat, figuring we would go out after the game. Then the game ran so late with the 2OT we had a hard time finding anything open. We got our sweet revenge in the inaugural Albany series with the '03 OT win, though. :-)

Date: January 25, 2006 05:24PM

lhayes

If you were wishing you were in Albany that night, I dunno why... its hard to wish you're in Albany even when there IS Cornell hockey there ;)

Definitely Lake Placid though, and I'm glad I got to see the ECACs in Lake Placid that once, even if it had to be that one.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 06:27PM

lhayes
I...recall wishing I was in Albany that night.

Wow, you don't see that written or spoken often. :-P

Edit: Fred, we think a like. Enjoy Boston, ya bastahd! ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 06:29PM by atb9.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 08:00PM

I sit right in front of the band in A... it was pretty full on Saturday (it's more the far far left side that's empty). More importantly, every game I try to get the remote control goalie going as often as possible. It started to get to McNulty last weekend while their coach was bitching (he was swurving a bit to mess us up)... there's no better way to get a goalie's head out of the game. As for other cheers- LETS GO RED should be used after opponent goals, not section O sucks.

Date: January 25, 2006 08:39PM

I agree, the remote control goalie has been lacking all year

It's one of my favorites, and McNulty proves that it can get goalies out of their personal routine. It may not have led directly to any goals in that game, but I believe it was Army last year where a late bendover cost the goalie position on a 2 on 1 and resulted in a goal.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 08:50PM

and then there is always that dartmouth goalie...

Date: January 25, 2006 09:02PM

Ah, little Nicky!

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login