Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Impressions from SLU(t)/Clarkson weekend at Lynah

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Impressions from SLU(t)/Clarkson weekend at Lynah
Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:44PM

the problem with the remote control goalie, is that many people have turned it into just "bend over", instead of actually saying what the goalie is doing ("lean", "pose", "tap";) after the initial circling. and then other people try to force their way, or just get frustrated with it. at least thats what I hear in the top of A...

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:47PM

oceanst41
I agree, the remote control goalie has been lacking all year

And there are more verbs than Skate, Turn, and Bend Over ...

Glide, Stop, Sweep, Tap, etc.

The band usually does them, but everyone else is already chanting Bend Over.

Edit: We're both psychic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 09:47PM by KP '06.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:56PM

KP '06
oceanst41
I agree, the remote control goalie has been lacking all year

And there are more verbs than Skate, Turn, and Bend Over ...

Glide, Stop, Sweep, Tap, etc.

The band usually does them, but everyone else is already chanting Bend Over.

Edit: We're both psychic.
I forget if it was Pesony or McNulty, but one of them made the bizarre addition of stretching upwards in the crease during his ritual. Yelling "stretch" by myself didn't really catch on, though.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:52PM

atb9
Edit: Fred, we think a like. Enjoy Boston, ya bastahd! ;-)

It's "bahstid", but I suppose I can't expect a "nycap.res.rr.com"-er to be an expert on the accent ;)

< digression >
Lois, sometimes its appropriate to swear
---- Flashback -----
- Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you god?
- I do... ya bahstid
--------------------
< / digression >

Back on topic, I agree about the remote control goalie having lost the flavor of the full routine. I still remember that Clarkson goalie with the tap-tap-tap-tap.

And was anyone else in D/E/F for the Maine game at Lynah in 2000-01? With the sweep, sweep,sweep on the opposing goaltender, who was trying to trick us? That was fun :)

Ive tried to do sweep, chug, tap, etc... both at lynah and on the road... for the last several years, but no one joins in. I've noticed lately though that "AND THEY STILL SUCK!" has caught back on at Lynah recently. So anything's possible!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.16.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:15PM

DeltaOne81
And was anyone else in D/E/F for the Maine game at Lynah in 2000-01? With the sweep, sweep,sweep on the opposing goaltender, who was trying to trick us? That was fun :)

And I believe he (I think his name was Morrison) gave up the last true Lynah Bounce goal in the third period of that game (it ended 1-1) before they redid the floor and boards that following summer.

Why has Cornell gotten away from the Tuesday before Thanksgiving HEA game?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2006 10:47AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:21PM

Chris '03
Why has Cornell gotten away from the Tuesday before Thanksgiving HEA game?

Instead, it seems they try to schedule a pair of games for the weekend right after Thanksgiving. Now let's just hope that we can get higher quality opponents for that weekend in the future.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:25PM

That was McNulty, and I think everyone was so thrown off by it that they broke into their own jeering. I heard a few cat calls, when he was going into the splits.

We tried for a few new additions as well, "drink water" comes to mind as well as the Niagara? goalie who skated to his crease then took a sharp turn and skating straight out and then backed into position. We got a "beep, beep, beep" going for that.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:28PM

Well Niagara did beat UHN this year laugh

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:37AM

DeltaOne81
This ones probably not apt... unless you meant controlling the flow and getting the better of the play, shots, and attempts, while the other team clings to the lead and tries to kill off time... for 20 games in a row.

But with Harvard very good in the, oh, 89-ish time frame :), and Cornell's poor record at that point, I kind of figure that's not what you meant.

The Dartmouth game, in which we just didn't show up, is probably your much more legit example.

Actually there were plenty of games in that era when Cornell controlled the play and had multi-goal leads in some of the games, but Harvard always seemed to find a way to come back. Even during Harvard's National Championship year they only beat us at home when one of their players took a long pass as he left the penalty box and scored on a break away (which I believe led to a rule change the following year).

That's why the 1990 playoff victory when Harvard was behind us in the standings but announced they were "exstatic" to be playing Cornell was so sweet.

Peter Schoaff '90

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:36PM

schoaff
Actually there were plenty of games in that era when Cornell controlled the play and had multi-goal leads in some of the games,
If you are referring to the RS games, I can't think of even one game in which Cornell controlled the play or had a multiple goal lead. The only games during the 0-18-2 stretch in which Cornell looked like they even belonged on the same ice as Harvard were the two ties -- one of which we actually ought to have won (Harvard scored on a penalty courtesy of a late fish).

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 01:25AM

Woah there--take it easy.

At the start of the season, section A had a great deal of trouble with the Cornell police and the ushers in the section. Things have improved greatly, but there is the constant fear of being scapegoated when the CUPD is standing right below you. Many of the freshmen in the section became Gun-shy, and it has taken them a while to get their voices back. They're coming along nicely.

Also, chill out. Why the self-righteous "we're louder than you" rants? We're all cheering the same team. Take it easy...I hate it, I absolutely HATE it, when post-game discussion devolves into who-yelled-what.

("No, man, I was the one who yelled Let's Go Red at 10:32 in the third. When you did it, it was, like, totally lame, but when I did it, everyone joined in. Heh-heh....where's my girlfriend? Oh yeah, I don't have one...I'm gonna go cry alone.";)

We should concentrate on being louder as a whole, and--take a look at your schedules--we should concentrate on being obscenely loud at Colgate.

You're wasting oxygen, complaining that people "cheered wrong."

HOORAY RED TEAM! (Doesn't that just piss you off?!)
-LJRED

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:08PM

LaJollaRed

("No, man, I was the one who yelled Let's Go Red at 10:32 in the third. When you did it, it was, like, totally lame, but when I did it, everyone joined in. Heh-heh....where's my girlfriend? Oh yeah, I don't have one...I'm gonna go cry alone.";)

We should concentrate on being louder as a whole, and--take a look at your schedules--we should concentrate on being obscenely loud at Colgate.

You're wasting oxygen, complaining that people "cheered wrong."

HOORAY RED TEAM! (Doesn't that just piss you off?!)
-LJRED

I got a laugh out of your post, and I think you made some very good points. But I have to reiterate or otherwise point out that there are those (like me) who feel that we used to be much more creative as a crowd, and that cheers like LGR, while our mainstay, are overused. It just seems like we don't have the variation we used to back in the mid-90s, for example.

Does that mean that we should stop cheering LGR, or <school> sucks, or Section O sucks? No, of course not. It's just that it would be nice to change things up a little once in a while. There are a lot of cheers that just aren't heard much anymore in Lynah (and I'd list those cheers here, but something tells me that people aren't really that interested), and it's fine to replace them, as long as it doesn't mean being monotonous.

Again, though, I like your spirit, and I will be right there cheering with you. Hooray Red Team.

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:55PM

If you have a chance, you should list the cheers. As a (relatively) newer member of the Faithful, I'd be interested. Trying to bring back some old ones would be great.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:02PM

montague
If you have a chance, you should list the cheers. As a (relatively) newer member of the Faithful, I'd be interested. Trying to bring back some old ones would be great.
[www.elynah.com]

Date: January 27, 2006 03:20PM

(jkahn, thanks very much for providing the link.)

There's a couple more that I don't think are on there (Age, any chance for an update to it?).

At the very second that a Cornell power play expires, and the opposing team's player emerges from the sin bin, we vent our frustration (and naturally, this is hopefully not a common occurrence) by yelling, "<school> returns to full strength, AND THEY STILL SUCK." Everyone can participate in this entire cheer; it is not meant to be led by a single person.

(I've been trying to resurrect that one a bit, but not living in Ithaca anymore, it's a bit tough. I go to as many games as I possibly can.)

The other one that's noticeably absent is the "Good Bye" song. I have no idea what its official name is or was. And it's going to be very hard to get it going in Lynah, what with people being tossed for saying the word "asshole", so that's why it might be better to save it for road games. I mean, think of it this way: if you get tossed at the end of a road game, what are they gonna do? Take away your season tickets? (I did try it at the home Clarkson game, but always had to look around to make sure good old Earl the Section B Usher wasn't nearby.)

Good bye, <school>...
Good bye, <school>...
Good bye, <school>, we hate to see you go (YOU ASSHOLES!)

It's a totally fun song. Works great to rub it in. I can't think of how I could possibly convey how the tune goes, however, so if anyone has any ideas along those lines, feel free to chime in. It's some old drinking song or barbershop quartet tune.

(And in the playoffs, we can obviously fire up some "Na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye". (If we're about to win and send them golfing, of course.))
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 04:15PM by HeafDog.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:32PM

HeafDog
At the very second that a Cornell power play expires, and the opposing team's player emerges from the sin bin, we vent our frustration (and naturally, this is hopefully not a common occurrence) by yelling, "<school> returns to full strength, AND THEY STILL SUCK." Everyone can participate in this entire cheer; it is not meant to be led by a single person.

I miss the days when "<School> returns to full strength" was a regular PA announcement, and a much louder and easier call for the crowd's "...and they still suck!" response. Even when "Cornell returns to full strength" was the announcement, the response was "...and <opponent> still sucks!"

Shame that doesn't happen anymore...

Beeeej
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 03:32PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:41PM

HeafDog
The other one that's noticeably absent is the "Good Bye" song. I have no idea what its official name is or was. And it's going to be very hard to get it going in Lynah, what with people being tossed for saying the word "asshole", so that's why it might be better to save it for road games.

The reason it died was because it was specifically singled out by Coach Schafer at the start of the '96-'97 (or thereabouts) season as one of the cheers that needed to go. He also mentioned the cheer about the referee and sheep fornicating, as well as what gets said after "See ya."

At the road Quinnipiac game at Yale, I heard some people trying to start the "Good bye" song at the end.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:10PM

I think the real song is "Good night, ladies (3x) We hate to see you go." if that helps anyone. That is a good idea. Maybe we could bring it back by substituting "You Goons", or something like that for A**holes. Or, in reference to the old McKenzie brother skits and particularly relevant with the number of Canadians in the ECAC, "You hosers". :-)

Date: January 27, 2006 04:13PM

RichH
The reason it died was because it was specifically singled out by Coach Schafer at the start of the '96-'97 (or thereabouts) season as one of the cheers that needed to go.

Yeah, I remember that. Still, it's possible to only apply that to home games.

RichH
At the road Quinnipiac game at Yale, I heard some people trying to start the "Good bye" song at the end.

I'll take credit for that one. :-D You gonna join us next time?

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:00PM

No, no, no.

I'm talking about the old cheers that have disappeared from the rotation. I'm not THAT new.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 05:01PM by montague.

Date: January 27, 2006 05:09PM

Well, the goalie/sieve and its variations have pretty much disappeared, to name a few. Goalie/sieve/post has still survived, somewhat, but this family of cheers used to be much more common, and the participation level used to be much higher. (And yes, "blue line/idiot" and "red line/idiot" are nice additions to the group.)

Date: January 27, 2006 06:17PM

I've mentioned it before and know others don't miss it, but the the cheer I miss the most is Fight, Maim, Kill (and unlike Swanee it wasn't lead by the Tubas in the 80's no matter what everyone else remembers :-D).

I'm also with Beeej on missing the PA announcement. I think it was the 90-91 when they stopped announcing "<Team> returns to full strength" on the PA. A part of me died that day :`(

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 06:19PM

schoaff
I've mentioned it before and know others don't miss it, but the the cheer I miss the most is Fight, Maim, Kill (and unlike Swanee it wasn't lead by the Tubas in the 80's no matter what everyone else remembers :-D).

Who remembers it being led by the Tubas?! It was led by the trumpets, and on increasingly rare occasions still is.

Beeeej

Date: January 27, 2006 07:33PM

Beeeej
Who remembers it being led by the Tubas?! It was led by the trumpets, and on increasingly rare occasions still is.

Beeeej

That's exactly what I remember, but a year or two ago when I brought it up people from the pep-band swore it was a Tuba cheer which made me question my sanity.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:04PM

schoaff
Beeeej

Beeeej

That's exactly what I remember, but a year or two ago when I brought it up people from the pep-band swore it was a Tuba cheer which made me question my sanity.

Very much a trumpet cheer. The last time I remember doing it, most people stared awkwardly, while some started singing "[Goalie] is a great big sieve ..."

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:32PM

HeafDog
There's a couple more that I don't think are on there (Age, any chance for an update to it?).
I'm sorry. Does that look like my name at the top or e-mail address on the corrections line? :-P

Date: January 30, 2006 02:32PM

CowbellGuy
HeafDog
I'm sorry. Does that look like my name at the top or e-mail address on the corrections line? :-P

Ah, quite true. I missed that part. I'll send him an email.

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:18PM

HeafDog

I realize I am a little behind (timewise), but I wanted to give credit where credit is due...the guy a seat or two over from me (section b, row 5) does always do this cheer, and then others join in. (I am guilty of not getting my own timing right to do the begining of the cheer...)

on another note, after the opposing team scores, it seems to me LGR does get started...sometimes it is delayed, but it happens...

and finally, I know this has been discussed a million times before, but one problem with LGR is that people don't stay together (even when the band is keeping a beat--that baffles me), and it speeds up too quickly. I noticed this when I was sitting with a friend in sect L, and we had to decide which group's rythm we were going to follow...of course, I still don't know what to do about it, but that's my 2 cents.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:29PM

I've been complaining (futilely) about the LGR speed up for over a decade now. Racing through it just seems idiotic. *shakes head sadly*
In fairness, it's likely that many can't hear the beat that the band is playing.

Date: February 02, 2006 02:38PM

LynahFaithfulS
I realize I am a little behind (timewise), but I wanted to give credit where credit is due...the guy a seat or two over from me (section b, row 5) does always do this cheer, and then others join in. (I am guilty of not getting my own timing right to do the begining of the cheer...)

Well, back in the mid-90s, it was a joint effort, and was not started by a single person. It's different from winning-team/losing-team, which definitely calls for a single leader. Put it this way: how would you designate who starts the "returns to full strength" cheer? What happens if that person misses the cue, or isn't even at the game? Let's say it was supposed to be started by one person, but multiple parties attempted to start it at the same time. Upon hearing it being started by someone else, should one of those multiple parties stop? Unfortunately, the cheer is called for too often for uncontrolled designation of a single leader to be practical.

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:45PM

HeafDog
Well, back in the mid-90s, it was a joint effort, and was not started by a single person. It's different from winning-team/losing-team, which definitely calls for a single leader. Put it this way: how would you designate who starts the "returns to full strength" cheer? What happens if that person misses the cue, or isn't even at the game? Let's say it was supposed to be started by one person, but multiple parties attempted to start it at the same time. Upon hearing it being started by someone else, should one of those multiple parties stop? Unfortunately, the cheer is called for too often for uncontrolled designation of a single leader to be practical.

oh, no, I agree with you! I just wanted to say it's not dead.

(And as the season has gone on, more people are doing it, too.)

Date: February 02, 2006 02:58PM

LynahFaithfulS
HeafDog

oh, no, I agree with you! I just wanted to say it's not dead.

(And as the season has gone on, more people are doing it, too.)

Excellent. Carry on, then. :-D

/"it's not dead" reminds me of "The Cheat Is Not Dead"

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2006 03:18PM

At the other end of the rink (D,E,F,etc.), it is hard to hear the band's beat. However, most of the people in B around me tend to speed up. I get frustrated every time, but blame it on the fact that I am a music buff -- others aren't capable so I shouldn't get angry. In the same light, it is near impossible for most (music people or not) to keep from rushing once the band is drowned out. In my experience, it is just human nature to speed up with any simple rhythm pattern.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 04:54PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It is because speeding up is simple and inevitable human nature that the drummer for the Pep Band should start the beat, go a few rounds, and then get the hell out of the way. You can blame it on the crowd as much as you want, but the drumbeat is, ultimately, a little too slow - so if the crowd is going to speed up no matter what the drummer does, the drummer needs to stop. Then it will sound like the crowd is chanting at one pace instead of many.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login