Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

US Olympians

Posted by RichS 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
US Olympians
Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 01:27PM

Might be worth checking out.

Olympic hockey player and former Clarkson hockey standout Erik Cole
will be featured on ESPN or ESPN2 (check your local listings) this
afternoon, Friday, January 20, on the program “Jim Rome is Burning.”
A crew from the show followed Cole around at a practice in Los
Angeles last month and has created a "correspondent" piece about him.
The show should air from 4:30-5 p.m. (EST).

I'm not a fan of Jim Rome but hopefully the piece is well done.

Re: Conroy
Date: January 26, 2006 12:40PM

[www.nhl.com]

Story about another US Olympian that some may be of interest to some.

For those that feel that way, just wondering if you think that Conroy is another of the "goons" Clarkson recruits? :-}

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 01:49PM

RichS
http://www.nhl.com/olympics/2006/conroy012306.html

Story about another US Olympian that some may be of interest to some.

For those that feel that way, just wondering if you think that Conroy is another of the "goons" Clarkson recruits? :-}
Get it right, Rich. Clarkson recruits goons. Clarkson didn't USED TO recruit goons.

Re: goons
Date: January 26, 2006 02:07PM

No, Robb.

You're the one that needs to get it right. Clarkson does NOT recruit goons.

On that topic however, I believe it was O'Bryne who rammed Nick Dodge's head into the boards late in the game last week, a play that went unpenalized if I recall correctly. Please correct me if I have that wrong.

Who recruited that goon O' Bryne?

See how easy it is to mislabel someone?

Re: US Olympians
Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.19.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 02:22PM

Looks like we need another addition to the spelling guide.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 02:25PM

[q]Who recruited that goon O' Bryne?[/q]I think it was Brom. Or maybe Ylae?

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 26, 2006 02:32PM

but he wound up at Cornell? :-)

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:24PM

Hey Rich,

If you knew enough about hitting, you would see that it was a clean hit. Too bad your Clarkson buddy couldn't hold onto his stick and had to resort to stealing O'Byrne's.

O'Byrne is a first-rate defender who will play in the NHL one day. That can't be said about half of the players Clarkson has on their roster.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:32PM

2tkCornell
O'Byrne is a first-rate defender who will play in the NHL one day. That can't be said about half of the players Clarkson has on their roster.

Can it be said about half the players on our roster? uhoh

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:38PM

Correction: Most of the players on Clarkson's roster won't get the CHANCE to play in the NHL.

I would say that at least half the players will get the CHANCE to play in the AHL or NHL on Cornell's roster.

To name a few: Moulson, Bitz, O'Byrne, Pokulok, McKee, Carefoot, Sawada, maybe 'Cutch.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:42PM

The AHL is a far, far cry from the NHL. O'B could make the AHL, certainly.

Don't be so sure that the talent gap between Cornell and the other contenders is that substantial. Schafer recruits "system" components and fits them together. That doesn't mean the Big Red as parts are more talented. It does mean they function better as a whole.

Date: January 26, 2006 03:45PM

I know plenty about hitting, thank you.

If it was a blow to the head or he ran the player's head into the boards or glass, a penalty was called for. Did you know that?

As for the stick, if the hit caused the stick to fly out of his grasp and over the glass, I think that's a tough break but too bad. He needed to go to the bench for a new one.

But stop complaining about "your buddy's" :-} stick being stolen. As earlier said, gamesmenship perhaps. If the ref missed it, it adds to the list of calls he apparently missed that night.

But missing that one is a less egregious error than missing a blow to the head or any number of others in the game.

O' Bryne will play in the NHL? More power to him, I say!

That's more than folks on this board said a few years back when Willie Mitchell of Clarkson was being called a "goon." He's had a pretty decent career so far but most measures.

It's unlikely that half of almost ANY UDS college team will reach the NHL as I'm sure you know. But I'll take Clarkson's record of players making it there in the last decade.

Back on topic, are there any cornell alumni playing on any of the 2006 Olympic teams?

Date: January 26, 2006 03:49PM

You'd be well-served to heed what Trotsky just posted.

Don't mention the AHL and the NHL in the same sentence. The difference is huge and many talented players raech the AHL but never make the NHL for a variety of reasons.

I'm very familiar with this, thanks. And before you run off playing talent scout and demeaning Clarkson's players, you should take a look at the ones who have been drafted already.

By no means is it a ticket to the big show but it is an indication that the scouts see potential.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:57PM

Clarkson currently has 9 NHL draftees on the team (Weller, Guthrie, Genovy, Grenzy, Zalewski, Clitsome, Sullivan, Paquet, Mason), plus Nick Dodge, who has had a hell of a sophomore season so far, and is undrafted. Will they all get a chance to play in the NHL? Maybe, maybe not, but obviously the NHL scouts think they might be able to make the jump. Who are we to say that some of the other undrafted players won't pick up their game and make the jump? Who are you to say that those players won't hit a decline in their game before graduation or suffer some injury (god forbid, never wish that on anyone) and never get that chance?

Now, I have no idea how many current draftees Cornell has, I'm sure it's quite a few, and you have a lot of skilled players, but half the team in any case is kind of absurd.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: January 26, 2006 03:58PM

Not to get into a pissing contest, but your coach called Clarkson one of the better offensive teams he has played this year, looks like he must think there is some talent.
We have nine NHL draft choices, six of which are freshman and sophmores. We are not there yet but we are coming.
With our list of current players in the NHL and past players in the NHL saying our guys won't get a whiff in the NHL, is well.. just talking pure garbage.

Cheers!
Drew
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2006 04:02PM by Drew.

Re: undrafted players
Date: January 26, 2006 04:04PM

Best example of a recent Clarkson guy making the NHL who was undrafted is Todd White and I'd say he's had a pretty good career thanks to his work ethic and team approach at least as much as because of his talent.

And which Clarkson coaches recruited him ? Hmmmm...

Yeah, I agree...just pure garbage being thrown out there.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 04:15PM

Rich S
That's more than folks on this board said a few years back when Willie Mitchell of Clarkson was being called a "goon." He's had a pretty decent career so far but most measures.
Willie Mitchell *was* a goon and a classless player. Since you will automatically assume I'm doing so, note that I don't label all Clarkson players that way; Erik Cole, for instance, was not. Mitchell earned that label by being what he was, not by playing for Clarkson.

Date: January 26, 2006 04:24PM

Willie was and is a talented player whose physical style was more suited to the pro game than to the US college game. That's one of the reasons he left early.

That hardly made him a "goon" and nothing else did either. He played with an "edge" that coaches love, no different from that of some of cornell's players duing Schafer's tenure.

As far as I know, Mitchell has not been called a "goon" at any level where he has played...just by some here.

And no, don't assume that I expect you'd label all Clarkson players that way. Some folks here would, and have rolleyes but I don't number you among them.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 04:50PM

I am so floored the success of Clarkson alumni. Provoking Cornell fans is totally awesome, especially under the subtle guise of "hey, this should interest everyone." Get your own board.

Date: January 26, 2006 05:00PM

[q]Back on topic, are there any cornell alumni playing on any of the 2006 Olympic teams?[/q]Following a quick glance at the rosters I don't think there are any Cornellians who will be playing in this year's Olympics. Of course, as someone who really doesn't see the point of this particular NHL All-Star tournament I don't really care.

BTW - I lost interest in the Olympics in general when the Cold War ended. It just doesn't seem as important when we don't have the goal of beating the Evil Empire and it's dastardly satellites. It has nothing to do with Cornell...

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:12PM

RichS
Who recruited that goon O' Bryne?

See how easy it is to mislabel someone?
Good point. The real issue is that he coughed up the puck in the MN game.

Date: January 26, 2006 05:18PM

Rich S
Willie Mitchell is still at least somewhat of a goon today in my view. Seen him play plenty. Not so much so that he hurts the game or is a disgrace, but he's got some goon in him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2006 05:26PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:24PM

Wow, not only is it OT, it's not even about a Cornell player.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: January 26, 2006 05:26PM

Uh oh, thread police

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:29PM

Section A Banshee
I am so floored the success of Clarkson alumni. Provoking Cornell fans is totally awesome, especially under the subtle guise of "hey, this should interest everyone." Get your own board.

You mean like the Roundtable? [www.goldenknightshockey.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:30PM

RatushnyFan
Rich S
Willie Mitchell is still at least somewhat of a goon today in my view. Seem him play plenty. Not so much so that he hurts the game or is a disgrace, but he's got some goon in him.

Frankly, I don't think "goon" is an entirely negative word, either. For instance I would happily call Hornby a bit of a goon and I relished his guided-missile mode. You can be a goon without breaking the rules. Mitchell, on the other hand, I remember as a bit of a dirtier player than most in the ECAC, which is more of a value judgment in my mind.

Not considerably dirtier, just enough for it to stick my head at the time.

And I suspect if people are remembering Mitchell as goonier than his overall career warrants, it's likely because he was credited with wristing the puck that hit Coach Schafer in the head in 1998 - not intentionally, but carelessly enough to bear comment.

Anyway, that's my brief two cents, along with a reminder that nobody here is likely to change anybody's mind about the character of their own team's players.

Date: January 26, 2006 05:44PM

Beeeej
And I suspect if people are remembering Mitchell as goonier than his overall career warrants, it's likely because he was credited with wristing the puck that hit Coach Schafer in the head in 1998 - not intentionally, but carelessly enough to bear comment.
I disagree with your terminology. "Credited with" implies that there's some question as to whether or not he did so.

Posted by: Cisco (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:45PM

Look Clarkson moron-fan. I challenge you to find a single other moment in hockey history, College or NHL, where a player deliberately picked up an opponents stick and played with it.

Keep searching you moron. Only Clarckson is dirty.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:22PM

Chris '03
Section A Banshee

You mean like the Roundtable? [www.goldenknightshockey.com]

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It's a silly place." :-D

(This from someone who used to post on the Roundtable years back.)

Date: January 26, 2006 07:23PM

Cisco
Look Clarkson moron-fan. I challenge you to find a single other moment in hockey history, College or NHL, where a player deliberately picked up an opponents stick and played with it.

Keep searching you moron. Only Clarckson is dirty.

Clarckson? Do they play in the same league as Darmouth and Brom?
nut

Date: January 26, 2006 07:26PM

No, they play with }PROVICED.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:47PM

Rich S
Willie was and is a talented player whose physical style was more suited to the pro game than to the US college game. That's one of the reasons he left early.

That hardly made him a "goon" and nothing else did either. He played with an "edge" that coaches love, no different from that of some of cornell's players duing Schafer's tenure.

As far as I know, Mitchell has not been called a "goon" at any level where he has played...just by some here.

And no, don't assume that I expect you'd label all Clarkson players that way. Some folks here would, and have rolleyes but I don't number you among them.

While I am unfamiliar with NCAA Willie Mitchell, NHL Willie Mitchell (aside from being on my favorite squad, the Minnesota Wild) is a leader on and off the ice (in addition to being freakin hilarious to listen on his weekly interviews on sports radio). In my experience, he is not even close to being goonish on the ice. The Wild could use a goon, in fact, as no one seems to want to rough it up to protect Rolston, Gaborik or Bouchard on the ice. Maybe he was a goon in college; however, that's better than being a pussy in college like one Mr. Brett Hull.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 08:34PM

With that one comment, you demonstrated the following:

1) you like using the word "moron."

2) your knowledge of hockey is limited because I have seen it happen at all levels of hockey from peewee to the pros, most recently by Theo Fleury when he was a Ranger.

3) either you can't spell "Clarkson" or else you're a poorer typist than me.

What any of the above contributes here is dubious.

Date: January 26, 2006 08:36PM

Reread. I said it "might be of interest."

Did I incorrectly judge that some folks here may have an interest in the Olympics? And just how did starting this thread provoke cornell fans?

Some have ably demonstrated elsewhere that they need no provocation to call Clarkson players goons. rolleyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 08:51PM

Rich S
Reread. I said it "might be of interest."

Did I incorrectly judge that some folks here may have an interest in the Olympics? And just how did starting this thread provoke cornell fans?

Some have ably demonstrated elsewhere that they need no provocation to call Clarkson players goons. rolleyes
You know, I think he's right here. I for one enjoy seeing about other college players, and don't mind when someone posts it here. Like I said on another thread I think the best way to upset a flamethrower is to ignore them, however I don't see that he threw any flames in starting this thread. When he does something "nice" or at least benign, howabout we commend him and see if he can stay civil if we do? nut

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:28PM

I wonder if we could convince Age to set up a new forum dedicated to allowing the Clarkson alums on this board (all 2 of you) and all the Cornell alums to get together and discuss the latin derivation and subliminal meaning of the word goon. Then we can dissect each player over the last three decades and see which players fit the goon mode and the ones that don't. Then we can tally it up and see who is the most goony. Hell, maybe we can just stop the discussion now and nickname Clarkson the Goonies (Pretty sure Roll and Sean Astin were separated at birth). And here I was thinking I as going to read a thread about the US Olympics...sheesh.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:00PM

Jim Hyla
You know, I think he's right here. I for one enjoy seeing about other college players, and don't mind when someone posts it here. Like I said on another thread I think the best way to upset a flamethrower is to ignore them, however I don't see that he threw any flames in starting this thread. When he does something "nice" or at least benign, howabout we commend him and see if he can stay civil if we do? nut
I do appreciate the tip about the show, and you're right: he didn't throw any flames in starting the thread. He waited all the way until the 2nd post (in which he replied to himself) for that. rolleyes

Date: January 27, 2006 12:19AM

Rich S
Did I incorrectly judge that some folks here may have an interest in the Olympics?

No, you incorrectly judged what constitutes Cornell men's hockey. For future reference, Clarkson alumni in the Olympics do not. Duh.

Date: January 27, 2006 10:12AM

Well, you would have read a thread about the Olympics rather than "goons" but Robb changed th e direction when he asserted falsely that "Clarkson recruits goons."

Take your complaint to him.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:20AM

This horse may not be dead, but it's coughing up blood...

Date: January 27, 2006 10:21AM

Rich S
Well, you would have read a thread about the Olympics rather than "goons" but Robb changed th e direction when he asserted falsely that "Clarkson recruits goons."

Wow. Do you actually believe that? Is your memory really that short?

The thread is right in front of you. Look at it again.

Beeeej

Date: January 27, 2006 11:19AM

Rich S

Scuderi shooting the puck into our bench was a really classy play.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 11:20AM by jmh30.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 12:11PM

jmh30
Rich S

It's probably not a good idea to bring that up, considering Schafer's history of doing something similar. Then again, my recollection is that opposition fans considered him a goon as well.

Date: January 27, 2006 12:40PM

jmh30
Rich S

He probly started crying pretty quickly after Morris hit him a few times.

Date: January 27, 2006 01:03PM

Mr. know-it-all,

Nothing wrong with my memory but how's yours?

And how's your vision?

I mentioned Conroy as an obvious example of a Tech player who wasn't and isn't "a goon" to demonstrate that anyone who knows anything about the history of Clarkson' program knows that the earlier statement that Clarkson recruits goons is pure "garbage" as Drew asserted.

I got this witty response from Robb in the thread's third post and that took it in the "goon" direction.

"Get it right, Rich. Clarkson recruits goons. Clarkson didn't USED TO recruit goons."

For anyone who believes the current team is a bunch of goons, that's absurd. Roll has more skill and finesse players than Clarkson has had in quite a number of years. Anyone who has paid attention can see that clearly.

Date: January 27, 2006 01:05PM

No less classy than the obvious runs that cornell took at White, a legit Hobey candidate, late in the game at Lynah in '97.

Date: January 27, 2006 01:08PM

How is the question I asked "a flame" when all it did was point out the absurdity of your colleague's "flame" that Clarkson is a bunch of "goons."

Who's flaming on this topic? Look no further than your own earlier post for the answer.

Date: January 27, 2006 01:38PM

Rich S
Mr. know-it-all,

Mr. Pot,

The only question that was asked was who brought up the subject of Clarkson goonery on an Olympic hockey thread. I'm quite comfortable with my answer, find yours ridiculous, and will be moving on from here.

Good luck in this weekend's home-and-home, by the way - I expect it will be a far more interesting series than ours.

Beeeej
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 01:40PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 27, 2006 03:15PM

If you find my response ridiculous, perhaps you should reread your own, and in addition, read Robb's first one in which he started the fire by making the ridiculous statement that "Clarkson recruits goons."

All I had done was mention Conroy, whose name had already been mentioned when I started this thread, to illustrate the idiocy of the post on the other thread that Clarkson has always been a team of goons.

Then Robb set the fire. If you can't see that, I can't help you. Perhaps you should heed Jim Hyla's suggestion that you be civil when others are.

I expect that both home and home series should be interesting to say the least. Enjoy!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:33PM

So how was the Jim Rome piece?

Cornell has hung a banner in the last couple of years that lists the alumni who have played in the Olympics.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:41PM

The fact is RichS, but bringing up the topic of goon again, in an unrelated thread, you were asking for a flame-fest.

The more controlled amoung would have just ignored that post and continued the conversation. But I would think you've been on the internet long enough to know that bringing up a point of argument is going to cause an argument. If you don't realize that, well, I'm surprised to say the least.

Date: January 27, 2006 04:33PM

I hear your point but frankly, I didn't see why an argument was warranted given that it's ridiculous to say that Clarkson is a bunch of goons or recruits only goons now. "Garbage" as Drew put it. It just isn't a point of argument as far as I'm concerned.

On your point of being "controlled", is your point that I should be controlled enough to not make a statement that could encourage an argument but that somehow it's okay for the cornell posters who aren't controlled to encourage one with Robb's post as an example?

In the end, all I was doing by citing Conroy (and there are plenty of other examples) is demonstrate how foolish the original poster's claim is.

If that causes people here to take umbrage, well, I'm surprised to say the least as you put it.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:42PM

First use of the word "goon" in this thread appears in RichS' second post. Does that settle it? Thread over? ok.

Date: January 27, 2006 04:52PM

You miss the point.

The first mention(s) of Clarkson goons were in another thread by more than one poster.

While I used the term in the second post here as you indicated, it was done only to point to the previously mentioned Clarkson player in the first post, as a shining example of the typical Clarkson player who was/is not a "goon" and to show how off ridiculous the earlier statements are.

The "flaming" clearly began with Robb's response which is also ridiculous.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:56PM

Didn't all of your mothers tell you that the best way to get back at an annoying brother or sister was to ignore them? Or were all of you arguing back and forth an only child? rolleyes

Date: January 27, 2006 05:02PM

I can understand the distinction you're trying to make, Rich, but really, I think it's pretty thin. If you don't see how your post on an unrelated thread of your own creation was basically the equivalent of holding up a sign that said, "Hey, guys, bring the flaming in here!" then there's not much we can likely say that will help you understand. As usual, we're all operating in different realities, and nobody is going to change anybody else's mind.

Your desire to have the last word, on the other hand, is likely to perpetuate the useless discussion (as is the similar desire of others). But I for one am willing to let you have it if you care to respond to this for some reason, so that the thread can die. I hope my fellow Faithful are as willing. Cheers.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 05:07PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 27, 2006 05:08PM

ajec1
While I am unfamiliar with NCAA Willie Mitchell, NHL Willie Mitchell (aside from being on my favorite squad, the Minnesota Wild) is a leader on and off the ice (in addition to being freakin hilarious to listen on his weekly interviews on sports radio). In my experience, he is not even close to being goonish on the ice. The Wild could use a goon, in fact, as no one seems to want to rough it up to protect Rolston, Gaborik or Bouchard on the ice. Maybe he was a goon in college; however, that's better than being a pussy in college like one Mr. Brett Hull.
That pussy scored an unfathomable 52 goals in '85-'86 (has anyone done more since? agree that the game has changed sinced) and 84 goals in two seasons. I wish I were the exact same kind of pussy. May not love everything that he says and does, but hey, I'm just not a very good goal scorer.

As for Mr. Mitchell, I'll stand by my comment that he's somewhat of a goon. As for not stepping up for players, he just took on Shane Doan on Tuesday for rearranging Andrei Zyuzin's (whopping 12 points this year) face. Is he somewhat of a goon or does he just stand up for players with low point totals (the heck with those guys like Rolston and Gaborik)? Don't get me wrong, I wish he was on my Canucks. But he's somewhat of a goon. I read that he just mailed for a goon certificate after seeing that he has a profile on HockeyFights.com.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:09PM

Wow, all I can say is that alot of people have alot of excess time, or like to carry on unhappy conversations. help
We'll never change some peoples ideas about us or them. However back in The Good Old Days, playing Clarkson was alot of fun, either home or away. BU and Clarkson were more fun for me than Harvard. Alot of it had to do with their rabid fans, god knows it wasn't because of Walker Arena. So Rich why don't we just say that some of us remember that it never used to be about anything other than stellar hockey, however it may have drifted away from what we all would have liked. I for one do think that your school is now much more like the kind of hockey I'd like to see than it was.

Actual Olympic Topic
Date: January 27, 2006 05:16PM

To get back on topic, does anyone know who has played in the Olympics (regardless of country) for us? I am admittedly being lazy and not looking it up.

I am happy that Erik Cole was chosen. My mother lives in Potsdam and met him a couple of years ago. My mother and some friends of hers met him in a local bar without knowing who he was. When she asked him what he did for work he just said that he had dropped out of Clarkson and was going to make well over $500,000 / year. She, of course, thought he was full of crap. He then said he knew where they could get some food, so he took them to another bar and went behind the counter to serve them. When they asked how he could do that, he just told them that he knew the owner. Finally, he let on that it was his bar and that he played for the Hurricanes. She called me that night to ask me if I had heard of him to see if he was telling the truth. Since then, she always notices his name in the news and watched him in an OLN game the other night. Anyway, based on that story he seems like he is probably a pretty cool guy. She also knows Conroy's parents, but I don't know much about him. Incidentally, can any of you picture an NBA or NFL player being so laid back and modest?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:20PM

RatushnyFan
ajec1
That pussy scored an unfathomable 52 goals in '85-'86 (has anyone done more since? agree that the game has changed sinced) and 84 goals in two seasons. I wish I were the exact same kind of pussy. May not love everything that he says and does, but hey, I'm just not a very good goal scorer.

As for Mr. Mitchell, I'll stand by my comment that he's somewhat of a goon. As for not stepping up for players, he just took on Shane Doan on Tuesday for rearranging Andrei Zyuzin's (whopping 12 points this year) face. Is he somewhat of a goon or does he just stand up for players with low point totals (the heck with those guys like Rolston and Gaborik)? Don't get me wrong, I wish he was on my Canucks. But he's somewhat of a goon. I read that he just mailed for a goon certificate after seeing that he has a profile on HockeyFights.com.

He is indeed a pussy that "scored" a goal that never happened in the Stanley Cup. He can rot in hockey hell for all I care.

Date: January 27, 2006 05:45PM

Tub(a)
He is indeed a pussy that "scored" a goal that never happened in the Stanley Cup. He can rot in hockey hell for all I care.
Joey was on Dallas, too. Dallas was going to win in any event. Sorry.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 08:50PM

Rick Reilly explained it all about two years back in Sports Illustrated. My guy plays all out; your guy is a goon. My team plays aggressively; your team takes cheap shots. Etcetera.

Date: January 27, 2006 09:40PM

billhoward
Rick Reilly explained it all about two years back in Sports Illustrated. My guy plays all out; your guy is a goon. My team plays aggressively; your team takes cheap shots. Etcetera.

He is stingy, you are thrifty, I am careful with my money.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:21PM

I actually agree with Rich S that clarkson isn't as goony anymore... and weller can skate... can't score, but he can skate...

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2006 11:26PM

RatushnyFan
ajec1

No, Brett Hull is a great talent; however, he is infamous at the University of Minnesota (Gophers not Bulldogs) for a certain night in Duluth (involving alcohol and the cops). I wish I could remember it entirely, but it is probably as much legend as anything anymore. I also recall stories of him being a pretty big whiner in college (obviously he was slightly before my time). Honestly, I haven't been able to watch the Wild here in the blackhole of hockey (I am not a big fan of Eastern Conference Hockey, I don't know the rivalries, etc), but in my mind, which is heavily skewed towards my favorite squad (and against yours), Willie Mitchell and Todd White have both added tremendously to my team (not in the goonish area...see something called "Derek Boogard";). Oh, and I will always have game 7 from a couple of years ago...

Date: January 28, 2006 12:46AM

Yes, you will always have game 7. Not sure how long that will keep you warm but hopefully a bit longer. I like both Todd and Willie. I don't view a little goonery as an entirely negative thing. If I was a professional hockey player, I would be a bit of a goon. I can relate to them.

Re: Actual Olympic Topic
Date: January 28, 2006 01:46PM

Would you happen to know which bar it is?

Date: January 28, 2006 03:35PM

Wait..."them"? Now you're calling Todd White a goon besides Willie? screwy

Oh right, he played for Clarkson, of course...lol.

Actually, I'm sure you meant "goons" as "them" when you say you can relate to "them." :-D

Date: February 15, 2006 03:53PM

My mother, who lives in Potsdam and was driving past the Conroy house, just called me and told me she saw Mrs. Conroy running into the house. When my mother turned on the TV, she realized the hockey team was playing. Gionta scored while she was talking to me, and she called me a few minutes later to tell me Craig Conroy had just made it 2-0. I guess Mrs. Conroy got home quickly enough to see him.

Re: US Olympians - internet feed of games?
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 15, 2006 04:24PM

A quick search of USA Hockey's website indicated that Westwood One has the radio rights to team USA's games. Westwood One apparently does not believe in live streaming over the internet. Does anyone know of a Westwood One station that does stream over the internet? Or am I trapped in my interior lab with no hope of hearing the games? help

My lab has no AM reception, and FM is fuzzy at best. Sirius satellite radio subscription includes internet streaming but only for the music channels, not the sports or the talk shows.

Date: February 15, 2006 04:36PM

Here is a list of stations. Let us know if you find one.

[www.cbsradio.com]

Date: February 15, 2006 04:43PM

I can take the A-M and focus on stations in hockey friendly areas (gets rid of all the "I" states!). Volunteers for N-Z?? nut

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 04:47PM

3-3 going into early 3rd period against Latavia

Posted by: rmandel (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 05:54PM

FYI - Darren Eliot '83 is doing the color commentary for Westwood One. He is also writing a column for the Atlanta Thrahser's website.

[www.atlantathrashers.com]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.wireless.pitt.edu)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:10PM

Might have been nice to have the best goaltender in the US available for today's game, wouldn't it?

rolleyes

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:32PM

rmandel
FYI - Darren Eliot '83 is doing the color commentary for Westwood One. He is also writing a column for the Atlanta Thrahser's website.

[www.atlantathrashers.com]
Darren's column mentions that Team USA's games are carried on 680 in Atlanta.
I've found it at
www.680thefan.com
and has a "Listen Live" button. I don't know if there are any rights issues that might prohibit them from streaming the games.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:37PM

Yeah!!! Go Buffalo. You're talking about Ryan Miller, right? :-D

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:34PM

canuck89
Yeah!!! Go Buffalo. You're talking about Ryan Miller, right? :-D

Of course. If Buffalo sports fans know how to do one thing, it's complaining about perceived injustices ;)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.16.153.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:49PM

Tub(a)
If Buffalo sports fans know how to do one thing, it's complaining about perceived injustices ;)

That's just a fancy way of calling yourselves giant homers.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:36AM

Tub(a)
Might have been nice to have the best goaltender in the US available for today's game, wouldn't it?

rolleyes
Man, I keep telling you but you can't seem to get it through your head. Mike Richter is R-E-T-I-R-E-D.

;-)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:54AM

Tub(a)

rolleyes

DiPi will get his shot. Just be patient.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:13AM

Jordan 04
Tub(a)

rolleyes

DiPi will get his shot. Just be patient.

DiPietro is terrible. Ryan Miller should have been picked, and i'm not even a Sabres fan.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:28PM

Dipietro has had a very shaky year and has done nothing to merit playing time in the Olympics.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:32PM

Well, I can think of one point in DiPietro's favor: He didn't give up three goals to Latvia.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:34PM

jmh30
Well, I can think of one point in DiPietro's favor: He didn't give up three goals to Latvia.

Neither did I. Hey, start me!!

Matt

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 12:40PM

Grahame may have given up three goals to Latvia, but none of them were soft. The only one I can really blame on him was giving up a rebound on a pad save that ended up right on a Latvian stick, and got buried into a mostly-empty net. The other two goals were a beautiful shot, and a good shot with a good deflection. Grahame bailed out the shaky US defense more than once.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:41PM

I din't see the game and haven't yet read an account. Who saw it and can offer an opinion on the US goaltending?

Coming in, that was thought to be a question mark, right? As said before...we need Richter!

Date: February 16, 2006 12:44PM

[Q]
I din't see the game and haven't yet read an account. Who saw it and can offer an opinion on the US goaltending?

Coming in, that was thought to be a question mark, right? As said before...we need Richter![/Q]

See above.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:39PM

Seems like the goaltending story of the game is more about Irbe than Grahame...or should be based on the SOG.

In any event,no way should the US be tying Latvia.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:53PM

Honestly, Rich (and it pains me to say this), it was like watching Clarkson at Colgate. Every opportunity you could ask for, but they just couldn't bury them. It was either two inches wide, or a great save by the goaltender, or blocked by a defender just in time -- or they'd just plain whiff. Painful.

Date: February 16, 2006 02:37PM

Just watch...they'll fill the net vs Khazakstan (sp?)!

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:42PM

Rich S

Coming in, that was thought to be a question mark, right? As said before...we need Richter!
I watched last night (TIVO) and thought Grahame was excellent and better than I'd expect. On the two even strength goals, once Schneider and once Chelios (who were playing together) got way out of position. Grahame made some really good saves as the quality of the Latvian shots was pretty high. My guess is that on an average NHL goalkeeping night, Latvia would've had 3.7-4.2 goals. A lot of defensive mistakes by the U.S. team.

Date: February 16, 2006 06:58PM

I was just listening to Market Place on NPR and they were discussing NBC's poor ratings for their evening Olympic coverage. Diana Nyad (?) the Sports/Money expert thinks that by the 1212 Summer Olympics each event will have live streaming so you can just watch over the internet and will not have to deal with commericals and network special interest stories. I would think that they should be able to have live streaming before 1212 (as long as they don't hire anyone affiliated with CSTV ;-)). I wonder how they would price an ALL-Olympic access package like that.

Bummer they can't do any "trials" with the hockey games at this Olympics.

Date: February 16, 2006 07:05PM

Rita
I was just listening to Market Place on NPR and they were discussing NBC's poor ratings for their evening Olympic coverage. Diana Nyad (?) the Sports/Money expert thinks that by the 1212 Summer Olympics each event will have live streaming so you can just watch over the internet and will not have to deal with commericals and network special interest stories. I would think that they should be able to have live streaming before 1212 (as long as they don't hire anyone affiliated with CSTV ;-)). I wonder how they would price an ALL-Olympic access package like that.

I think the 1212 Summer Olympics were broadcast by elephants traversing the Alps.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 07:08PM by Beeeej.

Date: February 16, 2006 07:13PM

Beeeej
Rita

I think the 1212 Summer Olympics were broadcast by elephants traversing the Alps.

Beeeej

Ah yes, the precedessors of CSTV. I think I meant 2012 Olympics.
nut

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:21PM

Rita

Bummer they can't do any "trials" with the hockey games at this Olympics.
Where'd anyone get the idea streaming would be commercial-free? It might start out that way but eventually they'll try to slip in an ad here and there that you can click-to-skip. Really old alumni may remember when movies had no ads (not movie trailers). I thought if everyone booed the ads they'd go away the following year. Didn't happen.

By 2012 streaming should be the equal of today's high-def signal, certainly equal or better than standard def. By then high def will probably be 4000 lines (pixels) across, not today's 1920, which still looks darn good. Even the Cornell webcast might look decent.

Date: February 17, 2006 12:32AM

There was a PPV stream of all the games in the Ice Hockey World Championships. I think this is the way it will go. (IIRC it was only $75 for the whole tournament, so the biggest downsides were the amount of time it sucked up and listening to the terrible Austrian commentators.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:35AM

Live streaming is the way to go for *all* sports. A world without the overhead and garbage of sports television is a world worth living to see.

Date: February 17, 2006 01:08AM

Dany Heatley goal against Germany was pretty sweet. Video highlights are a great way to catch up on the game scoring if you didn't "work" at home/watch the games. If you put your face very close to the screen you can even see the puck. [www.nbcolympics.com]

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:42AM

Just to tie this in to Cornell a bit, during the men's figure skating last night they mentioned Matt Savoie will be going to Cornell Law School.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login