Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Real attendance at Harvard game - 3836 plus?

Posted by billhoward 
Real attendance at Harvard game - 3836 plus?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:25AM

Lynah Rink's capcity is published as 3,836 plus when the renovations are completed another 464 for 4,300 exactly (nice round #, but still 200 shy of Thompson Arena at Dartmouth).

What is the real attendance? There are 100, 200, some number of standing room tickets sold or distributed to youth hockey players and others. Anyone know how many will really be in the building Friday and Saturday nights? Or does 3,836 including standing room?

Re: Real attendance at Harvard game - 3836 plus?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:39AM

I was told by phone in January that there are no standing room tickets sold because of fire department regulations/enforcement. This is new and I don't know when it began. Also, once each game while standing at the Brown and Yale games we were approached by an usher who on Friday wanted to see a ticket but on Saturday decided to look for the marker slash that was made on our hands as we entered.

Posted by: Mich1017 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:21AM

Thanks to the game early in the season where the fire alarm went off and everyone started chanting "we're not leaving". No more standing room tickets are sold

Date: February 16, 2006 07:10AM

So there's no one standing around the top of the rink in recent games ... or just fewer people?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:49AM

Mich1017
Thanks to the game early in the season where the fire alarm went off and everyone started chanting "we're not leaving". No more standing room tickets are sold

According to reports on here, no one had any idea what the sound was... and no usher asked anyone to leave. Perhaps it would be better if Cornell trained the Lynah ushers in something other than the art of the power trip.

Where did you hear about a "we're not leaving" chant. I don't recall hearing anything about that. Just a bunch of people saying "oh that's what that was."

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:23AM

i def. heard the "we're not leaving chant" on the student side....happened as section O starting filing out. so yes, it def. happened.

DeltaOne81
Mich1017

According to reports on here, no one had any idea what the sound was... and no usher asked anyone to leave. Perhaps it would be better if Cornell trained the Lynah ushers in something other than the art of the power trip.

Where did you hear about a "we're not leaving" chant. I don't recall hearing anything about that. Just a bunch of people saying "oh that's what that was."

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:26AM

Yeah, we heard the sound and saw the flashing strobe lights on the wall. Everyone in the student section knew it was the fire alarm, and then the usual individuals who love "red line, idiot" proceded to start up the chant (referring to "we're not leaving";).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 05:41PM by canuck89.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:45AM

canuck89
Yeah, we heard the sound and saw the flashing strobe lights on the wall. Everyone in the student section knew it was the fire alarm, and then the usual individuals who love "red line, idiot" proceded to start up the chant.

We don't listen to fire alarms, until we actually see fire. Just like we don't let idiots get away with not knowing where the redline is (unless their sweaters say "Cornell", of course).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 09:44AM

CM cWo 44
We don't listen to fire alarms, until we actually see fire. Just like we don't let idiots get away with not knowing where the redline is (unless their sweaters say "Cornell", of course).

Yeah! And I don't listen to stop lights until the front of my car is smashed in!

... idiot ...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 03:50PM

canuck89
Yeah, we heard the sound and saw the flashing strobe lights on the wall. Everyone in the student section knew it was the fire alarm, and then the usual individuals who love "red line, idiot" proceded to start up the chant.

The students weren't the only ones who didn't leave. Pretty much everyone in Lynah just sat still when the alarm went off. Is there something wrong with the "red line, idiot" cheer?

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:40PM

Yes. It's used EVERY (emphasis on "every";) time there is an icing call and offsides. It's just overused. I laughed the first time I heard it; i've since stopped.

Also, with the whole fire alarm issue. I was not passing judgement on whether we should have left or not (or been chanting), rather I was providing some information about the matter to those who inquired earlier in this thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 05:43PM by canuck89.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:46PM

Not that I've really been looking, but I haven't noticed any less people standing around the rink than usual. I can't imagine Athletics would be that willing to give up that extra money from the tickets.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:54PM

I was a little skeptical about the "red line...idiot" cheer (at least done every time), but I think it's pretty funny and that if the whole section/crowd does it, it could be really effective. Unless, of course, the chant is too offensive.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:32PM

Haha. I think it's real good when used in moderation as you've stated. My only concern is that with it being used 5X as often as "Section O Sucks" (which has not been used in moderation either this year), it will get old. As a matter of fact, I think more people chanted with "Red line, idiot" when it was first introduced than they do now. Could it be that they're bored???

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:41PM

Just an awful analogy. Fire alarms go off for all sorts of reasons, the least frequent of which is a life-threatening situation. My appologies if, unbeknownst to me, they've began doing "stop light drills" in which they spontaneously change during traffic to test the reactions of drivers. Then you make a fine point.

Date: February 16, 2006 07:02PM

I was thinking more of a light in the middle of the night in a suburb. 99.99% of the time if you drove right through it, nothing bad would happen. Doesn't mean it smart.

Its pretty stupid to refuse to leave for a firedrill too.

Now, that's different than not leaving when you weren't asked to (which I understand what the case), but out-and-out refusing like "we're not leaving" is pretty stupid.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:41PM

billhoward
So there's no one standing around the top of the rink in recent games ... or just fewer people?
People still stand. However with the students standing on their seats, it's worthless to try and stand behind them. Also you aren't allowed to stand at the closed end. So a lot fewer standees, and they generally have tickets for seats, right Age? (He stands a lot.)

Posted by: Brian M (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:13PM

many people sneak in. i wouldn't be surprised if lynah were 20% above max capacity. also, i've been going to games for four eyars and have never noticed the "red line, idiot" chant. what is it and when is it used? lastly, yeah, that was retarded that no one left. we all knew what it was. that's the kind of thing you read about on the news.

i personally stood about 5 feet outside and came back in once it was cleared. the cost to benefit analysis on that one was way off for most people

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 09:01PM

I was in section B, and part of the "we're not leaving" chant (though not by any means the one that started it). I went along with it b/c I thought it was pretty funny, but if an usher had *asked* us to leave, or if an announcement had been made, I would have gone very easily. My thinking was, if they actually needed people to leave, there was a PA system that they would announce it on.

Yes, I realize it wasn't the most brilliant thing to do. But something about the Lynah atmosphere turns me into an idiot :) Groupthink? Yes, I'm a hardcore ILRie.

Date: February 16, 2006 09:10PM

Cost to benefit of ignoring a fire alarm cuts both ways. You go outside, by the time you get back to your desk at the office, your $3.95 mocha latte is cold. Or someone's in your seat at Lynah. That happens 99 point 9-9-9-9-9 six-sigma level of the time. OTOH, twice in the last 15 years, the emergency alarm at WTC was real.

Date: February 16, 2006 09:26PM

las224
I went along with it b/c I thought it was pretty funny, but if an usher had *asked* us to leave, or if an announcement had been made, I would have gone very easily. My thinking was, if they actually needed people to leave, there was a PA system that they would announce it on.

I agree with that. I probably wouldn't have left unless they'd said anything either, it coulda been a person who bumped into it and then you wouldn't want to clear the whole rink over that.

And I guess I can give the pass on a "I chanted cause its funny" line. Fair enough. I just think it'd be stupid to actually refuse to leave if asked. Even if there's six 9s of a chance that its nothing, why risk being the lonely (and dead) 1?

Posted by: Omie (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:57PM

It's pretty stupid to have a fire drill in the middle of an important game, with a little bit of planning it could have been done during intermission and it would not have been such an issue.

PS I thought the chant was hilarious. :-}
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 10:58PM by Omie.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:58PM

Omie
It's pretty stupid to have a fire drill in the middle of an important game, with a little bit of planning it could have been done during intermission and it would not have been such an issue.

PS I thought the chat was hilarious. :-}

It wasn't a drill, the alarm was set off by someone smoking in the bathroom. Also, it was during an intermission.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:22PM

Jacob '06
Omie

PS I thought the chat was hilarious. :-}

It wasn't a drill, the alarm was set off by someone smoking in the bathroom. Also, it was during an intermission.

Amazing. Did s/he miss the 3 sets of exit doors to go outside on the way to the bathroom?

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:14AM

i felt like i was back in high school and some idiot dumped a lit cigarette into the trash because they panicked when someone walked in the door twak

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 09:22AM

las224
I was in section B, and part of the "we're not leaving" chant (though not by any means the one that started it). I went along with it b/c I thought it was pretty funny, but if an usher had *asked* us to leave, or if an announcement had been made, I would have gone very easily. My thinking was, if they actually needed people to leave, there was a PA system that they would announce it on.

All I had to do was look down at the officials' bench, and see that Mr. Timekeeper, a long-time deputized police official if I'm not mistaken, was staying right where he was. I didn't see any point in going anywhere if he wasn't.

Not "blaming" it on him, of course. :-) But it did seem a pretty good indication that it wasn't an emergency.

Beeeej, T-2:40

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login