Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2006-7 Schedule

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2006-7 Schedule
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:53AM

All I have is the ECAC part of the schedule. You can guess much of the rest, but I'll try this evening to see if Sue Detzer has an update. None as of 1/7.

The ?'s are open slots where we normally could have games.

?
Fri 11/3  @Brown
Sat 11/4  @Yale
Fri 11/10 Harvard
Sat 11/11 Dartmouth
Fri 11/17 @Princeton
Sat 11/18 @Quinnipiac
?
Fri 12/1  RPI
Sat 12/2  Union
?         Florida
?
Fri 1/12  @St. Lawrence
Sat 1/13  @Clarkson
Fri 1/19  Yale
Sat 1/20  Brown
?
Fri 2/2   Clarkson
Sat 2/3   St. Lawrence
Fri 2/9   @Union
Sat 2/10  @RPI
Fri 2/16  Quinnipiac
Sat 2/17  Princeton
Fri 2/23  @Dartmouth
Sat 2/24  @Harvard

What a way to end the season! Those @ Harvard tickets will be tough to get.

So much for preformatting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 01:03AM by Jim Hyla.

Re: 2006-7 Schedule
Posted by: jy3 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 02:13PM

looking at the previous year and this year...
we should(?) have this game as part of home and home swaps as well.

@ RIT

teams we played this season whose home and home are done.
niagara (rochester was a niagara home game)
mich state

I wonder if a game at RIT is in the works for next year. Also of note, we never played at Canisius after the home game last year. I would like a game in buffalo :)

LGR!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 02:19PM

Yeah, but do you want that enough to take up one of our valuable NC games with Canisius?

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 03:52PM

I suppose Colgate home-and-home will be 1/26-27 (or some such 2-day combination that week)?

Posted by: las224 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:06PM

I find it interesting that Harvard will be the first home game. First home game is normally big enough anyway; seems like it'd be better to have it with a team that otherwise wouldn't draw the fans. Whereas - Harvard will always be full.

Also - only one weekend of home games the entire fall semester???

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:21PM

las224
I find it interesting that Harvard will be the first home game. First home game is normally big enough anyway; seems like it'd be better to have it with a team that otherwise wouldn't draw the fans. Whereas - Harvard will always be full.

It's not unusual to have only one home ECAC weekend in the fall semester. That being said, I'm guessing we'll get at least two home nonconference games as well in the fall, probably in late October and/or over Thanksgiving weekend.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:48PM

Sorry about the preformatting. I'll get to that soon.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:33AM

An NC pair against a decent western team would make that schedule look a lot better (in addition to what I'm guessing will be two in Florida, one return game at RIT, and two against AH teams early on).

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.11.---)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:35AM

las224

Unless the semester ends at Thanksgiving these days or the league is kicking out RPI and Union, I see two weekeds of home conference games in Jim's schedule...

It is worth noting however that in years past the home/away ECAC weekends have sometimes flipped when the schedule is finalized as have the order of games (i.e. fri/sat). This schedule looks a little more polished than in the past though when it would just list travel partners in alphabetical order, so it may be more reliable.

Date: January 08, 2006 01:02AM

This schedule is from the ECAC office, through Sue Detzer. So I'd guess it's reasonably firm. Sue had no updates as of Sat..

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.11.---)
Date: January 08, 2006 02:06AM

Jim Hyla
Fri 2/9 @Union
Sat 2/10 @RPI
Fri 2/16 Quinnipiac
Sat 2/17 Princeton
Fri 2/23 @Dartmouth
Sat 2/24 @Harvard .

If RPI can hold off Brown this year, it looks like they'll be putting a 16 year Big Red Freakout undefeated streak on the line against the Big Red next spring. I had heard that Cornell was going to be the opponent next year and this schedule would seem to confirm that as it's been the penultimate home Saturday for a few years running (though the opponents may have played a role). The last (and only) time Cornell was the Freakout guest was in 1982- a 7-4 Cornell win.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 08:51AM

jmh30
An NC pair against a decent western team would make that schedule look a lot better (in addition to what I'm guessing will be two in Florida, one return game at RIT, and two against AH teams early on).

Remember that we're due to play Maine in the first round in Florida next season, and UNH is also in the field.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: January 08, 2006 10:13AM

Chris '03
If RPI can hold off Brown this year, it looks like they'll be putting a 16 year Big Red Freakout undefeated streak on the line against the Big Red next spring. I had heard that Cornell was going to be the opponent next year and this schedule would seem to confirm that as it's been the penultimate home Saturday for a few years running (though the opponents may have played a role). The last (and only) time Cornell was the Freakout guest was in 1982- a 7-4 Cornell win.
I've been told by an RPI fan that Cornell will be RPI's opponent in Official Cheer Loudly For Your Team Just This Once Each Season Day in the spring of 2007.

Date: January 08, 2006 08:54PM

jmh30
I've been told by an RPI fan that Cornell will be RPI's opponent in Official Cheer Loudly For Your Team Just This Once Each Season Day in the spring of 2007.

That's still more than one can say about a lot of teams' fanbases.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 09:40PM

jtwcornell91
Remember that we're due to play Maine in the first round in Florida next season, and UNH is also in the field.
Maine fans on USCHO are reporting the games as:
Cornell vs. UNH
Maine vs. Western Michigan

Date: January 08, 2006 11:28PM

Will
jmh30

That's still more than one can say about a lot of teams' fanbases.
That's true, I suppose cheering loudly one day a year is better than cheering loudly never. (I"m looking at you, Harvard.)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: January 09, 2006 06:48AM

jmh30
Chris '03
I suspect that RPI picked Cornell for next year's BRF! in order to increase the odds of the game getting televised. The 'Tute was probably hoping that this year's game against Brown would be televised. IMO this was a reasonable assumption considering last year's game was quite good. It looks like we RPI fans will have to settle for next Saturday's webcast vs. Clarkson. [www.alumni.rpi.edu] At least it is free. :-P

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 07:22AM

jmh30
That's true, I suppose cheering loudly one day a year is better than cheering loudly never. (I"m looking at you, Harvard.)

Have you not been at Lynah East in the last couple of years?

Beeeej

Posted by: jy3 (---.16.232.66.cust.uslec.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:56PM

one more thing, I assume that the interior construction on the rink will be done in time for the home games next year...

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: January 10, 2006 08:31AM

woowoo revenge

Posted by: pat (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:37AM

Jim Hyla
Fri 1/19  Yale
Sat 1/20  Brown
?
Fri 2/2   Clarkson
Sat 2/3   St. Lawrence

This question mark is where the Colgate home-and-home should go, no? I further assume that the Friday game is in Hamilton and the Saturday game is at home.

Date: January 10, 2006 08:57PM

pat
Jim Hyla
Fri 1/19  Yale
Sat 1/20  Brown
?
Fri 2/2   Clarkson
Sat 2/3   St. Lawrence

This question mark is where the Colgate home-and-home should go, no? I further assume that the Friday game is in Hamilton and the Saturday game is at home.
THat's a likely spot, but the games have not always been on the same weekend, so? I suspect that both schools are keeping it open to look at out of conference choices.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:31PM

[q]THat's a likely spot, but the games have not always been on the same weekend, so? I suspect that both schools are keeping it open to look at out of conference choices.[/q]While I'm sure the coaches would prefer to play the games as a home and home weekend set (pretty sure Schafer has been quoted saying that in the past), I'm also confident that if Red Berenson got really drunk and agreed to bring the Wolverines to Lynah that weekend (or to Lynah one night and then Starr) I guarantee thay'd move the Cornell-Colgate games. To Tuesday nights if necessary.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:53PM

KeithK
I'm also confident that if Red Berenson got really drunk and agreed to bring the Wolverines to Lynah that weekend (or to Lynah one night and then Starr) I guarantee thay'd move the Cornell-Colgate games. To Tuesday nights if necessary.
Roger. I'll keep an eye on the dumpsters around Ann Arbor...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:59PM

Robb
KeithK
I'm also confident that if Red Berenson got really drunk and agreed to bring the Wolverines to Lynah that weekend (or to Lynah one night and then Starr) I guarantee thay'd move the Cornell-Colgate games. To Tuesday nights if necessary.
Roger. I'll keep an eye on the dumpsters around Ann Arbor...
Where's your sense of duty? Head to AA and bring bottles of Red's favorite drink...

Posted by: jy3 (---.16.232.66.cust.uslec.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:13AM

Jim Hyla
Fri 2/9 @Union
Sat 2/10 @RPI
Fri 2/16 Quinnipiac
Sat 2/17 Princeton
Fri 2/23 @Dartmouth
Sat 2/24 @Harvard

chris that yellow text is horrible on the eyes with the new software...
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2006 10:23AM by CowbellGuy.

Date: January 11, 2006 10:22AM

jy3
chris that yellow text is horrible on the eyes with the new software...

It doesn't look yellow in Firefox. :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 12:01PM

Will
It doesn't look yellow in Firefox.
Is it in Russian?

Posted by: mikee293 (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:53PM

wait so coaches get to pretty much pick who their non-conference games are against (assuming the other coach agrees as well?)

If this is the case, I wish Cornell would pick higher ranked teams, because our strength of schedule just kills us in the PWR rankings

Date: January 12, 2006 09:07PM

mikee293
wait so coaches get to pretty much pick who their non-conference games are against (assuming the other coach agrees as well?)

If this is the case, I wish Cornell would pick higher ranked teams, because our strength of schedule just kills us in the PWR rankings

So say we all. Most of us, anyway.

Date: January 12, 2006 09:13PM

mikee293

Yes, Mike Schafer can just say "I want CC, Minnesota, Michigan, BC, Maine, North Dakota, and BU to play at Lynah this year." Those teams are then legally bound to show up...

All snarkiness aside, I'll give a real answer on the assumption that your comment is sincere (and not snarky). The schools do decide non-conference games on their own. There is no NCAA scheduling body to organize non-conference games. Scheduling non-conference games is a balancing act which has to take into account willingness of the opponents to play you, venue (everyone wants to play at home when possible) and available dates. Cornell has disadvantages due to the late start (a lot of non-conf games are played in October when Cornell can't), limited games (Cornell plays 29 according to Ivy rules as opposed to the NCAA limit of 34) and small rink capacity (Lynah is 1/3 or 1/4 of the size of some of the biggest western arenas and those teams would rather get the big gate at home).

Posted by: bothman (---.anapol01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:53PM

Well, Harvard managed to get a home and home with UND, UNH, and Maine in recent years....they haven't been scheduling the likes of RIT and Canisius rolleyes

Posted by: heykb (131.249.12.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 09:18AM

This is spot on.

This year's Michigan St. set was reasonable. I can even understand a game with RIT to help RIT fill out their D-I schedule. But Niagara and such?

There was a time where we scheduled BU every other year or so. We should be playing top tier non-conference opponents. BU/BC/UNH in the east, Mich/Minn/CC/UND in the west.

I understood when we had Western Mich because the coaching staff had solid ties to that program. But even then I thought that was pretty marginal.

It's reached the point of being silly.

Karl B. '77

Date: January 13, 2006 09:54AM

heykb
There was a time where we scheduled BU every other year or so. We should be playing top tier non-conference opponents. BU/BC/UNH in the east, Mich/Minn/CC/UND in the west.

Um, no there wasn't. We've only played BU 8 times since the Great Divorce, 4 @ Lynah, 1 neutral site at the Syracuse Invitational, and 3 @ BU. 2 of those games were in 1989, 2 in 2002, and 2 in 2003. So there have only been 5 seasons since 1984 that we've played BU - more like every 4 years. We've played BU far more frequently in the last 4 years than in the 20 years before that.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:07AM

Robb
heykb

Um, no there wasn't. We've only played BU 8 times since the Great Divorce, 4 @ Lynah, 1 neutral site at the Syracuse Invitational, and 3 @ BU. 2 of those games were in 1989, 2 in 2002, and 2 in 2003. So there have only been 5 seasons since 1984 that we've played BU - more like every 4 years. We've played BU far more frequently in the last 4 years than in the 20 years before that.

And they won't play us anymore after they got embarassed in the 02-03 season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.16.203.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:08AM

bothman
Well, Harvard managed to get a home and home with UND, UNH, and Maine in recent years....they haven't been scheduling the likes of RIT and Canisius rolleyes

To be fair, you have to look at geography. Harvard has the advantage of playing in the middle of HEA country. Cornell's closest non-conference opponents are RIT, Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, RMU, and Army probably. It's a far cry from BU, BC, UNH, Maine, etc.

The economics do play a role. It's easier financially to take a hit and play in a small barn on the road when it's near by than when it's cross country.

The UND series is a good pick up. They've shown a surprising willingness to play in ECAC rinks (see, Princeton & Yale a few years back. That was the series that included the ND radio guy having a fight with the fan on the air and Chris Higgins getting the gate for fighting).

Date: January 13, 2006 10:46AM

Robb
heykb

We did play them at Lynah in 1993 and WBA in 1995, so some of us optimistically extrapolated and were disappointed when they didn't come back in 1997.

I don't think we can dictate our non-conference slate like some seem to assume we can, but I wish we could get the BU rivalry restarted on a more regular basis, and I'm hoping Schafer and Sandelin came away from the Florida tournament with a good enough vibe to get something started with tUMD.

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:49AM

ANd on the flip side, the chances of restarting something with Michigan State seem long as I can imagine Schaefer's repore with their coaching staff is not so hot.

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 12:00PM

but awesome win percentage has gotten us in in past years.....

Date: January 13, 2006 12:17PM

"I'll give a real answer on the assumption that your comment is sincere (and not snarky)"

it was sincere.....but i guess poorly worded haha

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 01:16PM

Prepare to be really depressed... :-/

Since 1985 (when there were reasonable Eastern non-conference opponents to play), Cornell has only played 26 non-conference games against teams that made the NCAA tournament, my arbitrary criteria for what is a "good" team. That's 26 in 21 seasons, for 1.24 per season. That's pretty sad, but not depressing.

The depressing part is that in those 26 games, we've gone 4-20-2. Yep. For those of you scoring at home, that's 0.192. Our wins were BU twice in 2003, BU in 2002, and OSU in 2003. We managed ties against Maine in 2000 and Michigan in 1997. The only years that we've had more than 2 NC games against tourney teams were 2003 (3-2-0) and 1996 (0-3-0).

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. yark barf
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2006 01:17PM by Robb.

Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 03:30PM

Wow is all I have to say. Someone should send that stat to Schafer. Almost unbelievable. Maybe that starts to give the EZAC chants a little more credence and provides a solid backdrop for an ECAC team not winning it all since Harvard did in 1989.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.12.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 03:57PM

jtwcornell91
{BU stuff snipped}

I don't think we can dictate our non-conference slate like some seem to assume we can, but I wish we could get the BU rivalry restarted on a more regular basis, and I'm hoping Schafer and Sandelin came away from the Florida tournament with a good enough vibe to get something started with tUMD.

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. A sustained non-conference rivalry would be very good for the program. But it needs to be a suitable opponent. It doesn't make sense for it to be a doormat; that's not a rivalry. Having Maine show up at the Fla tourney every year is a good start, and I thought tOSU might have been on that track as well.

We could use a BU or UND or UMich weekend every year, alternating locations. I'm sure it's not a slam dunk to arrange but somehow there's gotta be a way.

Karl B. '77

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 13, 2006 05:57PM

heykb
This is spot on.

This year's Michigan St. set was reasonable. I can even understand a game with RIT to help RIT fill out their D-I schedule. But Niagara and such?

I understood when we had Western Mich because the coaching staff had solid ties to that program. But even then I thought that was pretty marginal.

It's reached the point of being silly.

Karl B. '77

Well put.

Even with WMU, at least it was against a Big 4 team, who thus has a better chance (than AH/CHA) of having a NCAA season, and gives us a CO-OP for the PWR. An Army/SHU/Niagara/etc weekend does nothing along those lines.

Date: January 13, 2006 06:19PM

Robb

Since 1985 (when there were reasonable Eastern non-conference opponents to play), Cornell has only played 26 non-conference games against teams that made the NCAA tournament, my arbitrary criteria for what is a "good" team. That's 26 in 21 seasons, for 1.24 per season. That's pretty sad, but not depressing.

The depressing part is that in those 26 games, we've gone 4-20-2. Yep. For those of you scoring at home, that's 0.192. Our wins were BU twice in 2003, BU in 2002, and OSU in 2003. We managed ties against Maine in 2000 and Michigan in 1997. The only years that we've had more than 2 NC games against tourney teams were 2003 (3-2-0) and 1996 (0-3-0).

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. yark barf

Is it really fair to go all the way back to 1985? Why not limit attention to the Schafer era (which is also the last 10 seasons), which includes all the non-losses?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 06:43PM

It may not be fair, but I've got the data: [www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 11:04PM

heykb

We could use a BU or UND or UMich weekend every year, alternating locations. I'm sure it's not a slam dunk to arrange but somehow there's gotta be a way.

Karl B. '77

Agreed. Granted, Cornell's not dealing from a position of strength but it should be an attractive rivalry candidate, nonetheless.

I'd love to see an annual weekend with Michigan. Give those NTDP kids every chance possible to see Cornell play, plus it's driveable. Otherwise, either Wisconsin or BU (the red rivalry) would be great. Though I'd be thrilled with any of the following: Denver, CC, Minny, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, BU, BC, or New Hamphsire.

Ah, to dream...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 11:15PM

mikee293
"I'll give a real answer on the assumption that your comment is sincere (and not snarky)"

it was sincere.....but i guess poorly worded haha
Not necessarily...I'm just used to me being snarky that I see it everywhere. :-D

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 01:29AM

Chris '03
bothman

To be fair, you have to look at geography. Harvard has the advantage of playing in the middle of HEA country. Cornell's closest non-conference opponents are RIT, Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, RMU, and Army probably. It's a far cry from BU, BC, UNH, Maine, etc.

The economics do play a role. It's easier financially to take a hit and play in a small barn on the road when it's near by than when it's cross country.

The UND series is a good pick up. They've shown a surprising willingness to play in ECAC rinks (see, Princeton & Yale a few years back. That was the series that included the ND radio guy having a fight with the fan on the air and Chris Higgins getting the gate for fighting).

And also with the geography - Boston is a more attractive road trip for teams then Ithaca. I have no idea how Clarkson/SLU gets some of those programs to go into the North Country though.

I don't think we should go on the road though to play top teams if they're not willing to return the trip. It's not like we're a mid-major team in hoops. We're nationally ranked year-in, year-out, help out another team's strength of schedule, etc. I would love to see us play Wisconsin or Michigan or such - but we shouldn't have to always go out there. tOSU may be one of the better options out there for us.

I would settle for a home and home series with a rotating Hockey East team each season. I don't see why that's not doable - even if it's UMass or UML to start with. Actually maybe some scheduling lessons could be learned from our lacrosse team which I think does a reasonable job in getting some top tier teams and some 'easier' games.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:08AM

I think the problem of scheduling HE teams lies within most HE teams usually already have ECAC teams that they play year in-year out.
Harvard plays in the Beanpot which takes up 2 games of BC, BU, and NE. This leaves each team with up to 8 NC games left of which 2 are usually taken up by holiday tournament leaving 6 games. Of those 6 games BC and BU usually have a series against a WCHA team being top conference in east versus top in west. This leaves only 4 games left for us to schedule a game against them. Of those 4 games, BC and BU are best of getting teams from CHA, CCHA, and AHA to gain the most in the COP category. As you can see this leaves us lying on the outside in. Can we work ourselves into one of those NC games probably but it will be hard and you cant expect it every year.
Out of the other HE teams that will help our RPI and PWR rankings are probably just Maine and UNH. Maine is in our holiday tournament so we can through them out since playing the same team 3 times will not help you gain COPs. So this leaves UNH. UNH, I believe is going to play Dartmouth every year so there is one ECAC team for them. This is our best shot I think of getting an good HE to play us during the regular season. The only problem with UNH is I can see them more inclined to play against SLU since the travel is easier.

Out of the top 4 teams in the HE, you can see already have ECAC foes to play against every year so I think it is unlikely that we get one of these teams to play us outside the Florida tourney. I think we should play more HE opponents but I think it will be likely UMass or UML. I would like to have us play Vermont as our HE opponent but I think UMass and UML would be easier to schedule.

The other conferences I dont nearly as much as who usually plays against whom in the ECAC. I think we can easily rule out the two Alaskan teams. I think this year, we should of tried to take one of SCSU against Colgate games to play us and remove one of the weaker games. This would of helped considerably. Also I wonder why we never team up with Colgate to play a larger variety of OOC opponents since we could play 2 different ones a weekend here.

Date: January 14, 2006 09:45AM

bothman
Wow is all I have to say. Someone should send that stat to Schafer. Almost unbelievable. Maybe that starts to give the EZAC chants a little more credence and provides a solid backdrop for an ECAC team not winning it all since Harvard did in 1989.
So how does Harvard's record look in this analysis? You must know, because surely you wouldn't come in here ripping on Cornell's record unless you already knew Harvard's was significantly better, right? whistle

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 10:29AM

Robb
So how does Harvard's record look in this analysis? You must know, because surely you wouldn't come in here ripping on Cornell's record unless you already knew Harvard's was significantly better, right? whistle
I'm sure bothman will point with pride to Harvard's superb NCAA tournament record over the past four years as evidence of how well their difficult out-of-conference schedule has served them. worry
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2006 11:24AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:16PM

TCHL8842
Also I wonder why we never team up with Colgate to play a larger variety of OOC opponents since we could play 2 different ones a weekend here.

We did that in 2003-2004 (and presumably the year before) with Ohio State and Bowling Green. Not sure if it helps or hinders us to play a team twice - on one hand, we're better in the second half of the season when we see all the ECAC teams for the second time, but on the other, recent evidence in weekend series with, oh, Michigan State has us doing worse in the second game.

Posted by: bothman (---.anapol01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:52PM

Harvard has not performed as well in the NCAAs as Cornell, but that is because Cornell has been better than Harvard. I think Cornell had the talent and the coaching to weld that talent to win the NCAAs in prior years, but I honestly believe that Cornell's non-conference schedule hindered them...if nothing else, but to see the quality out West as a motivating factor at an early point in the season.

Harvard has continually been able to schedule non-conference teams. Yes, being in Boston helps with the scheduling of BU and BC, but getting games with Maine, North Dakota, and Michigan in recent years is something Cornell should be able to achieve as well. Hearing Big Mike and Cornell fans say that they want to help promote hockey by scheduling RIT and Canisius is such a joke and laughable.

Why do guys like Al Deflorio get so defensive (1989 maybe?) I have nothing but respect for Cornell's program. I just think their non-conference schedule reflects a team from Atlantic Hockey as opposed to one of the best programs in the East. The sad thing is that now that Cornell is experiencing a little more parity, an early exit from the ECAC tourney or some stumbles down the home stretch in the regular season, may cause the Big Red to miss the dance. That would be a shame.....

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:03PM

I also think that Harvard's ability to get teams like north dakato to come east is influenced by the amount of high school-prep school hockey talent. The coaches get to do some recruiting and the high school kids get an opportunity to see a team that is interested in them play live. Granted there is good hockey talent in central new york, it is just much more concentrated in boston. Teams can schedule 2 games, versus two different teams (and leagues) without changing hotels and driving more than 30 miles.

I would like to see cornell and colgate (maybe even niagara?) work together and try and bring teams from the in for a 2 game set, one at each barn. Colgate usually has a good record, and niagara is at the top of the cha (thus would be a game with a potential TUC team). However, i do agree with coach in that if our team travels out west, they should return the visit.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:13PM

Robb
heykb

Some of us have memories that go back more than 20 years to before "the Great Divorce." The WAS a time when we scheduled them every year and met them in the post season once, or even twice, in many of those years, but they weren't non-conference games then.

Date: January 14, 2006 02:15PM

bothman
Harvard has continually been able to schedule non-conference teams. Yes, being in Boston helps with the scheduling of BU and BC, but getting games with Maine, North Dakota, and Michigan in recent years is something Cornell should be able to achieve as well.
Well, as written, that sentence is correct. But if you meant to say "good" non-conference teams, I have to disagree. Since '99 (the earliest year I have available from USCHO), Harvard has gone 4-14-2 vs non-conference teams that made the NCAA tournament. However, precisely *4* of those games were vs teams not named BU or BC: 2 at CC in '01, 1 at Michigan in '02, and 1 vs Maine in '05. I can't count the NoDak games just yet, because we don't know if they'll make the tourney this year or not. But even counting them, that means that Harvard's been able to schedule good non-conference teams not in their back yard 4 times in the last 7 seasons (and you're about the closest decent non-conference team to Maine, so that one's a little iffy). Whoop-de-do. Way to go Harvard - really pulling your weight there.

Gosh, let's all bow down to the scheduling capabilities of the Harvard athletics office. Let's all strive to be as wonderful as they are. Thank goodness they've been around to improve the image of the ECAC, or we really would be the EZAC.

Date: January 14, 2006 02:17PM

David Harding
Some of us have memories that go back more than 20 years to before "the Great Divorce." The WAS a time when we scheduled them every year and met them in the post season once, or even twice, in many of those years, but they weren't non-conference games then.
Yes, but that's irrelevant to the discussion about the non-conference teams that we're able to schedule in today's environment. Today's environment has only existed since 1985, so that's the logical cutoff.

Date: January 14, 2006 02:41PM

Robb
David Harding
Yes, but that's irrelevant to the discussion about the non-conference teams that we're able to schedule in today's environment. Today's environment has only existed since 1985, so that's the logical cutoff.
I agree, and I tried to point that that out in my comment that weren't non-conference games. But Karl B. '77 and I ('72) do remember a time when the games with BU were regular, however irrelevant that fact may be.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:11PM

David Harding
But Karl B. '77 and I ('72) do remember a time when the games with BU were regular, however irrelevant that fact may be.
And some of us pre-date the 3/11/66 ECAC semi-final when Cornell and BU resumed (more accurate to say really "started";) their rivalry after a 40-year hiatus.

[Greg, the first two games with BU were in the 1924-25 and 1925-26 seasons, both apparently in Ithaca, according to the media guide.]

things are a little better than they appear
Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:38PM

Robb's 4-20-2 statistic omits two wins over future tournament teams in 2003-04. At the Everblades College Classic, Cornell beat tournament-bound Notre Dame and Ohio State.

6 wins is a little better than 4.

Date: January 14, 2006 05:17PM

My memories of Cornell hockey actually go back earlier than my class suggests. As a townie, I attended occasional games from about the second season in Lynah and listened to Sam Woodside and Don Martin broadcast the games on WHCU-FM.

Re: things are a little better than they appear
Date: January 14, 2006 07:07PM

Craig,

I assume you're right - the spreadsheet where I tabulated it is at work, however, so I'm not sure how I missed those.

Thanks,

Robb

Date: January 18, 2006 01:29PM

The following is extracted from a message from the RPI Alumni Cooordinator a while back. It shows that Cornell will indeed by the BRF! opponent next year. I don't know how likely it is that the game will actually be on ESPN-U, but at least it's being looked into.[q]We are working with ESPN-U, the new university sports channel from ESPN, to carrying the 30th Anniversary of the Big Red Freakout game against Cornell in February 2007. We have also asked ESPN-U to hold the RPI vs. Clarkson game on Friday, January 19, 2007.[/q]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 01:30PM by ursaminor.

Date: January 18, 2006 01:57PM

when do we find out who are Non Conference games are against?

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:09AM

any new info?

Date: March 27, 2006 01:03AM

This is speculation, not information, but if the first scheduled conference game is Friday 11/3, and there's typically a game or two (nonconference or exhibition) the weekend before that, I'm guessing we're looking at Red/White on Saturday, 10/21. (It can't be before the 10/15 official start date, right? Because Saturday, 10/14 is Homecoming and football against Toothpaste, which would be good for R/W attendance; 10/21 the football team is at Brown.)

Anyway, assuming Red/White is Saturday, 10/21, that's only 209 days away. *sigh*

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 05:57AM

The other big question - Where will this take place?

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 08:55AM

miniteam8s
The other big question - Where will this take place?

The building may be ready by season's start, but I wouldn't think that's likely. Lynah should be ready by January. The fall semester games will probably be played in a "nearby" rink, like Elmira, Binghamton or Syracuse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 08:59AM by Townie.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:49AM

I wonder if some of the second tier Hockey East teams (no disrespect intended) would be reasonable candidates to beef up schedule strength at least somewhat. Vermont? Mass-Lowell (most years, not always)? Providence? Schafer worked with Colgate's coach, right? I think it's more exciting when you play different teams each night, so maybe partnering with them is a possibility down the line. That said, Schafer has done a pretty good job of preparing the team for the tourney (and getting into the tourney) so although I've been an advocate of moving towards a tougher OOC schedule where possible, it's hard to argue with the results.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 10:01AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:54AM

I think that's a good idea. If nothing else just to be interesting. If we can't get a schedule with the western powerhouses (ND, Minn, Wisc, Mich, MSU, etc) or the eastern ones (BU, BC, UNH, Maine, etc) in some years, then I certainly wouldn't object to a home and home agreement with a 'mid-level' team. Heck, we may even catch a Providence, UVM, Ferris, UNO, etc on an up year or two. We've done it before (Western Mich, although I realize there were deeper connections there).

You're right, we can't argue with the results. But it'd be fun to see the different matchups. Especially if it was PC or some away series I could make :).

Date: March 27, 2006 11:05AM

Looking forward, now would be a good time to try to angle for games against Wisconsin. After that NCAA game, we would be a great draw out there, and it would be a much-anticipated rematch. A pair there for a pair here would be best, but I'd even take just a pair there. Cornell's proven themselves to be tier one. The more tier one teams they can get on the schedule, the better.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:12AM

Trotsky
Looking forward, now would be a good time to try to angle for games against Wisconsin. After that NCAA game, we would be a great draw out there, and it would be a much-anticipated rematch. A pair there for a pair here would be best, but I'd even take just a pair there. Cornell's proven themselves to be tier one. The more tier one teams they can get on the schedule, the better.

I think we should suck it up and go west without reciprocity at least once even if only to have ammunition with other fans. Hell, we might just get the road bonus in RPI. With Lynah under construction we have to hit the road anyway although it's too late to do much scheduling now.

Date: March 27, 2006 11:16AM

nyc94
I think we should suck it up and go west without reciprocity at least once even if only to have ammunition with other fans. Hell, we might just get the road bonus in RPI. With Lynah under construction we have to hit the road anyway although it's too late to do much scheduling now.

Yep, it's almost certainly too late to get on any tier one schedule for 06-07, and maybe even for 07-08. I'd love to see Cornell and Colgate do a traveling pair to Denver/CC, for example. If there's any way of making any of this happen within budget, Schafer will work it.

Date: March 27, 2006 11:50AM

Trotsky
Yep, it's almost certainly too late to get on any tier one schedule for 06-07, and maybe even for 07-08. I'd love to see Cornell and Colgate do a traveling pair to Denver/CC, for example. If there's any way of making any of this happen within budget, Schafer will work it.

Get SC Johnson to donate the corporate jet again (I think it was '02 that they used the jet to ferry recruiters to the Johnson school).

Date: March 27, 2006 12:10PM

nyc94
Get SC Johnson to donate the corporate jet again (I think it was '02 that they used the jet to ferry recruiters to the Johnson school).

Hey, Ned flew his team in a jet called "Above it All." :-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 27, 2006 05:07PM

I suppose a home-and-home with MTU wouldn't do much for our schedule strength, but at least we have connections there.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2006 05:23PM

Trotsky

Is travel budget much of an issue? Serious question as I have no idea. It seems just about every other Cornell team finds money to hit the road. What is it costing for the baseball and softball teams to spend a week on the road during Spring Break? Or the basketball team to go to west coast over winter break? Does hockey have to budget for possible NCAA travel costs?

Date: March 27, 2006 10:57PM

nyc94
Trotsky

Is travel budget much of an issue? Serious question as I have no idea. It seems just about every other Cornell team finds money to hit the road. What is it costing for the baseball and softball teams to spend a week on the road during Spring Break? Or the basketball team to go to west coast over winter break? Does hockey have to budget for possible NCAA travel costs?
Hockey does go to Florida over winter break. And it's one of the few teams that has to at least consider the possibility of multiple post-season games.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:23PM

I don't think NCAAs are really an issue. Teams get a cut for making the NCAAs, which probably more than makes up for travel. At least it works that way in basketball.

Posted by: MCH '94 (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:37AM

Robb

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. yark barf

Didn't we beat Mich St and Maine this past year?

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 07:33AM

MCH '94
Robb

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. yark barf

I believe we split w/MSU and didn't play Maine in Estero.

Date: March 28, 2006 07:41AM

Townie
MCH '94
Robb

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. yark barf

I believe we split w/MSU and didn't play Maine in Estero.

Also, Robb made that list before the NCAA field was set.

Date: March 28, 2006 10:05AM

David Harding
Hockey does go to Florida over winter break. And it's one of the few teams that has to at least consider the possibility of multiple post-season games.

For some reason I had temporarily forgotten about Florida. Probably because we go every year it doesn't stand out. Are we locked into this thing in perpetuity?

Date: March 28, 2006 11:30AM

nyc94
David Harding

For some reason I had temporarily forgotten about Florida. Probably because we go every year it doesn't stand out. Are we locked into this thing in perpetuity?
We are the co-host, so yes we're "locked" into it. I don't know if there's a contract or anything but I suspect we will continue as long as it's somewhat successful and continues to attract good teams.

Date: March 28, 2006 11:37AM

KeithK
nyc94
David Harding

We are the co-host, so yes we're "locked" into it. I don't know if there's a contract or anything but I suspect we will continue as long as it's somewhat successful and continues to attract good teams.
I heard a rumor about two years ago that RPI will be at the Florida tourney in 07-08, however these things have a habit of changing over a period of several years. If RPI is going, there goes the run of "good teams". :-/

Date: March 28, 2006 12:01PM

ursaminor
I heard a rumor about two years ago that RPI will be at the Florida tourney in 07-08, however these things have a habit of changing over a period of several years. If RPI is going, there goes the run of "good teams". :-/

By then, who knows -- RPI may be having a renaissance under a new coach.

The budget issue isn't so much about the cost of travel, but the opportunity cost of forgoing home games. Schafer has said flat out that we need as many home games as possible to make ends meet.

My answer to which is, 32-29=3. 3 more free dates, if someone can shoehorn apart the Ivy presidents' asscheeks and remove the stick from their collective butts.

Date: March 28, 2006 12:28PM

Trotsky
ursaminor

By then, who knows -- RPI may be having a renaissance under a new coach.
Well, I hope that is the case, but if I said so it would arouse the woofing Gods.

Trotsky
My answer to which is, 32-29=3. 3 more free dates, if someone can shoehorn apart the Ivy presidents' asscheeks and remove the stick from their collective butts.
The problem about OOC games is that you have to find opponents. With the other conferences having fewer OOC dates available, you might have trouble filling the slots even if you were allowed to have them. Note that RPI, UC, QU, and 'Gate had to schedule a tourney among themselves for next season. I suspect that this is because both the HEA and the AHA are playing more league games. IMO, besides for allowing RPI to play at the Pepsi, which they haven't been able to do since the ECAC tourney moved from LP, it doesn't serve much of a useful purpose.

Date: March 28, 2006 12:43PM

ursaminor
The problem about OOC games is that you have to find opponents. With the other conferences having fewer OOC dates available, you might have trouble filling the slots even if you were allowed to have them. Note that RPI, UC, QU, and 'Gate had to schedule a tourney among themselves for next season. I suspect that this is because both the HEA and the AHA are playing more league games. IMO, besides for allowing RPI to play at the Pepsi, which they haven't been able to do since the ECAC tourney moved from LP, it doesn't serve much of a useful purpose.

I was going to suggest start by adding one game (30) plus allow the season to start one week earlier for scheduling flexibility.

Date: March 28, 2006 03:27PM

nyc94
I was going to suggest start by adding one game (30) plus allow the season to start one week earlier for scheduling flexibility.

The early start would actually be more of a boon than adding games. Our problem is that the other conferences have a big chunk of their NC games in October, because their regular seasons run so long. Moving the season up two weeks would give us more of a shot at major conference opponents than adding two games.

Being greedy, I want both. I like the idea of helping out the mino conferences, but it hurts in PWR, and from everything I gather it will hurt more when they finally adopt a modified KRACH.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:04AM

nyc94
I've actually been on one of their planes (as a Michigan MBA)! Weird feeling, it was me and maybe three other kids. I didn't take the job. The jack in i-banking is too hard to turn down. Racine is kind of an interesting town, though.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:24AM

jtwcornell91
I suppose a home-and-home with MTU wouldn't do much for our schedule strength, but at least we have connections there.
And if we don't screw it up, it would be good for COpp.

Dumb Question
Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:02PM

So when is the OOC schedule announced? If the teams are already set for 06-07 and 07-08, then what's the big secret?

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:10AM

ugarte
And if we don't screw it (game against MTU) up, it would be good for COpp.
Exactly. If we go 1-0 vs MTU, then every time their skating blind squirrels find a WCHA nut, bully for us.

Date: March 30, 2006 08:34AM

Robb
ugarte
Exactly. If we go 1-0 vs MTU, then every time their skating blind squirrels find a WCHA nut, bully for us.

OTOH, if we go 1-0, we only get one win on our ComOpp and every WZHA team that doesn't screw it up gets four.

Date: March 30, 2006 09:44AM

jtwcornell91
Robb
ugarte

OTOH, if we go 1-0, we only get one win on our ComOpp and every WZHA team that doesn't screw it up gets four.
Damn you and your blasted mathematics!

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:18AM

jtwcornell91
Robb
ugarte

But we tie with a 1.000 winning percentage

Date: March 30, 2006 10:23AM

Jacob '06
jtwcornell91
Robb
ugarte

But we tie with a 1.000 winning percentage
JTW's point was that if the two teams have only one other COpp, and each lose that lone game, we will be at .500 but the WZHA teams will be .800.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 10:24AM by ugarte.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 04:28PM

RPI has released its schedule [www.rpiathletics.com] RPI is playing SLU, not Cornell, in the Freakout!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 10:39PM

ursaminor
RPI has released its schedule [www.rpiathletics.com] RPI is playing SLU, not Cornell, in the Freakout!

Well we *are* there the second to last Saturday, which was the basis for the speculation. Whats the reason for changing the Freakout timing?!? I know... they're just chicken :-P

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login