Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros -- Jan 2006

Posted by Brian 
Alumni in the Pros -- Jan 2006
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 06:52PM

What happened to Iggulden last night, 19 minutes in penalties! What is a face shield penalty?

Re: Alumni in the Pros -- Jan 2006
Posted by: Molgestron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 11:19PM

Saw Nieuwendyk in NJ tonight, and although he's had some great games recently, the Devils held him shotless. It also seemed like he got a lot less ice time than some of the other Panthers- disappointing because I picked the game to see him, although Elias returned and had a great night so that was nice. In a REALLY small crowd, I saw at least two Cornell jerseys and set next to a Quinnipiac fan who wouldn't stop talking about Cashman.

My question of the game is why do referees give coincidental diving and hooking (in this case) penalties? I've seen it happen a few times and tonight it looked as if a hooking call was going to cut short a Florida 5x3 until the Devils player got called for a dive. Is it because the diving player exaggerates even when there is an actual penalty? Hopefully someone here can enlighten me.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 12:35AM

Molgestron
Is it because the diving player exaggerates even when there is an actual penalty? Hopefully someone here can enlighten me.

Yes.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 01:19AM

Molgestron
Saw Nieuwendyk in NJ tonight, and although he's had some great games recently, the Devils held him shotless. It also seemed like he got a lot less ice time than some of the other Panthers- disappointing because I picked the game to see him, although Elias returned and had a great night so that was nice. In a REALLY small crowd, I saw at least two Cornell jerseys and set next to a Quinnipiac fan who wouldn't stop talking about Cashman.
A small crowd at a Devils game? I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 03:10PM

The penalty you are talking about was the worst call i've seen this year. Paul Martin dove to poke the puck down the ice just killing a penalty not trying to draw a hooking penalty.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: January 04, 2006 03:53PM

Brian
What happened to Iggulden last night, 19 minutes in penalties! What is a face shield penalty?

I think the face shield penalty refers to fighting while wearing a face shield. If you saw Murray's fight the other night, he quickly took off his helmet before his scrap to avoid this.

Edit: Apparently, this penalty is only applied if the person wearing the shield is deemed the instigator.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2006 03:57PM by Pete Godenschwager.

Posted by: Molgestron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 03:58PM

bigred06
The penalty you are talking about was the worst call i've seen this year. Paul Martin dove to poke the puck down the ice just killing a penalty not trying to draw a hooking penalty.

Thanks. I had a bad view of those near side boards so I couldn't see it well.

And I've been to plenty of terribly attended Devils games, but I don't think the crowd there could have filled Lynah. Of course, NHL.com has the official attendance at 10,039, but the arena looked ~20% full. Stupid that they're spending the money for a new arena. If people don't go to the Meadowlands, can't see that they're going to go to Newark.

To put this thread back on track, LeNeveu is at .905, 3.06 since going back to San Antonio. Not so stellar, but it's not like he has a D to help him out. Similar numbers to Danis (.903, 2.73) and Jimmy Howard (.900, 2.76)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: January 04, 2006 04:14PM

Molgestron
And I've been to plenty of terribly attended Devils games, but I don't think the crowd there could have filled Lynah. Of course, NHL.com has the official attendance at 10,039, but the arena looked ~20% full. Stupid that they're spending the money for a new arena. If people don't go to the Meadowlands, can't see that they're going to go to Newark.
To be fair, Newark is a LOT easier to get to than the Meadowlands (which is famously inaccessible by public transportation). I still maintain that nobody gives a crap about the Devils, but I don't think moving to Newark will hurt their (piss poor) attendance any.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 06:48PM

Pete Godenschwager
Brian

I think the face shield penalty refers to fighting while wearing a face shield. If you saw Murray's fight the other night, he quickly took off his helmet before his scrap to avoid this.

Edit: Apparently, this penalty is only applied if the person wearing the shield is deemed the instigator.

Thanks, it makes more sense if you compare it to the Murray fight. However, seems foolish that you have to think about taking your helmet off, especially when your pissed off! Silly NHL!

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:05PM

Pete Godenschwager
Brian

Is there a safety concern related to this? I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind the penalty

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:12PM

Liz '05
Pete Godenschwager
Brian

Is there a safety concern related to this? I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind the penalty

You don't wanna punch someone in the visor, it would cut up your hand probably.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:23PM

or if on the off chance the visor broke/came off the helmet it would cut the other guy up pretty good too...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 10:59PM

[q]Thanks, it makes more sense if you compare it to the Murray fight. However, seems foolish that you have to think about taking your helmet off, especially when your pissed off! Silly NHL![/q]I don't know. Putting restrictions on fighting, even relatively minor ones like this, seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 12:13AM

I certainly wouldn't want a broken piece of my own visor putting my eye out. On the other hand, I can imagine having that shield making me feel less vulnerable and thus more likely to instigate.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 09:20AM

I suppose I can see the broken visor argument, but if that's the concern the instigator should be pulling off his opponent's visor before taking a punch (i.e. the opposite of what I understand the rule to be). The instigator would, presumably, be getting the best shot in first, right?

In my experience, helmets come off if there's a serious fight, along with gloves, not because of a rule, but as a result of the fight. It may not be true in reverse, but I think requiring the helmets to be off ups the chances of it being a serious fight. Silly, then, to penalize wearing a helmet.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen a NHL game since the Whalers, and thus the only fight-viewing I have comes from college hockey.

Posted by: ugarte (12.10.219.---)
Date: January 05, 2006 03:21PM

Liz '05
Pete Godenschwager
Brian

Probably because if you are going to start a fight, you should at least be willing to take a punch in the mouth.

Date: January 05, 2006 10:24PM

ugarte
Probably because if you are going to start a fight, you should at least be willing to take a punch in the mouth.
I'm neither as pro-fighting as some hockey fans, nor as anti-fighting with others, but this I agree with wholeheartedly.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 02:07PM

jmh30
To be fair, Newark is a LOT easier to get to than the Meadowlands (which is famously inaccessible by public transportation). I still maintain that nobody gives a crap about the Devils, but I don't think moving to Newark will hurt their (piss poor) attendance any.
I will be going to fewer games once they're in Newark. Most of us in NJ have cars. It sucks driving to Newark vs. the Meadowlands.

Date: January 06, 2006 03:34PM

David Harding
I certainly wouldn't want a broken piece of my own visor putting my eye out.
If a visor breaks with a punch, how's it supposed to stop a puck traveling 85-100 mph? It would more likely hurt the hand of the puncher. If you're going to engage in a fight, take your helmet off.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 03:41PM

There's a team in Jersey?

Date: January 06, 2006 04:42PM

We can't hear you, our Stanley Cup rings are plugging our ears.....

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:07PM

Isn't the point to get more Rangers fans to the rink when the two teams play?

Re: ear ringing
Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:33PM

Thank you Paddy Roy. :-}

Doesn't look like your ears will be getting more plugged this year.

Date: January 06, 2006 07:58PM

RatushnyFan
I will be going to fewer games once they're in Newark. Most of us in NJ have cars. It sucks driving to Newark vs. the Meadowlands.
Depends on where you're coming from and where they put the arena. Using my parents' house in Livingston as a point of origin, something that's located near 280 is way easier to get to than the Meadowlands.

Edit: Keith, what does it matter for that purpose? It's all already Rangers fans anyway. :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 07:59PM by jmh30.

Date: January 06, 2006 08:37PM

[q]Edit: Keith, what does it matter for that purpose? It's all already Rangers fans anyway.[/q]To make it more convienent for us, maybe?

Date: January 06, 2006 10:51PM

KeithK
[q]Edit: Keith, what does it matter for that purpose? It's all already Rangers fans anyway.[/q]To make it more convienent for us, maybe?
Heh. Good point. Of course, honestly, if I want to see a Rangers game, I can go to one at MSG without too much trouble. I'm actually more excited about the new soccer stadium they're (allegedly) building in Harrison. (But of course, that takes this discussion WAY off topic.)

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:48PM

i'm so glad i've learned so much about alumni in the pros here

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 12:36AM

A-19
i'm so glad i've learned so much about alumni in the pros here
Yeah, but at least we know that John Spencer is... Oh wait - wrong forum.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 01:34PM

Back on topic -- Paolini had nice game last night for the Amerks, goal and an assist. He's there on a PTO, hopefully he sticks this time around.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 05:38PM

And J.M. Pelltier got the win over Binghamton 6-2

Paolini and Pellitier - game stars 1/6
Posted by: Per Djoos (---.157.104.42.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:59PM

J.M. got the third star and Sam the second for a goal and an assist (and the game winner) in Binghamton as the Amerks beat the baby Sens. 6-2

Both played great.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 05:32PM

I'm going to see Matt Underhill tonight against San Diego.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.starwoodbroadband.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:45PM

LaJollaRed
I'm going to see Matt Underhill tonight against San Diego.

Sigh. I soooo wish I could make it tonight.'

Edit: Ok, I don't feel as bad. Underhill isn't in net. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm listening to an Alaska Aces/San Diego Gulls game on the radio.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 09:15PM by Jordan 04.

Date: January 09, 2006 04:50PM

In the NHL.COM photos of the week:

Los Angeles Kings' center Derek Armstrong is upended after a collision with the Sharks' Doug Murray by the San Jose bench.

[www.nhl.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 06:17PM

Two assists and the game-winning shoot-out goal for Joe last night.

Sharks vs. Bruins on NESN at 7pm tonight, Jan. 10
Date: January 10, 2006 02:05PM

In high def, if you have it.

Re: Sharks vs. Bruins on NESN at 7pm tonight, Jan. 10
Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 07:18PM

Doug Murray is playing too (looking at the shift chart now).

5 mins or so into the game Joe Thornton gets booted from the game for a hit on Hal Gill. (I'm listening on the radio at work, so didn't see it.)

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-194-29.myvzw.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 07:30PM

6:30 to go in the first period and I haven't seen Doug Murray on the ice. Is he injured?
Finally saw him on the ice....just as the Bruins scored their first goal. Damn.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 07:34PM by redice.

Posted by: DL (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:34AM

I know it's pretty normal to shield yourself from stuff like that while your on the bench, but Doug's teammates have gotta be watching and thinking, "Uh-oh, here he comes..."

Date: January 11, 2006 04:00PM

redice
6:30 to go in the first period and I haven't seen Doug Murray on the ice. Is he injured?
Of the seven D-men dressed for the game, only two had more minutes than Doug.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 04:19PM

He got a few shots to the net, but still no points

The NESN announcers talked Doug up a bit during the second or third too, not sure which period. They were discussing how San Jose is moving their AHL team from Cleveland to Worcester, and how they develop their players so well. They were talking with a coach who worked on all the younger players' skating skills, and that coach was going on about how proud he was of Doug's improvement. The Bruins guys then said he was rewarded with a call up and has played well.

I mean they needed something to talk about, it wasn't much of a game for Boston rolleyes

Re: Alumni in the Pros -- Jan 2006 (Vesce)
Posted by: Bio '04 (---.rh.psu.edu)
Date: January 11, 2006 06:36PM

Vesce was named to the 2006 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team of the AHL:
[www.theahl.com]

Noah Welch was also named to the team (take that to mean what you will :-P)...
Edit: just noticed that Welch is also named a starter for the team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2006 06:39PM by Bio '04.

Date: January 11, 2006 08:15PM

Bio '04
Vesce was named to the 2006 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team of the AHL:
[www.theahl.com]
Must we assist the idiocy of corporate names by repeating the branding here?

Congrats to Vesce on making the AHL All Star team.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:09PM

KeithK

Actually, as I recall, the team is called "PlanetUSA" because they play against the Canadian team (i.e., a team composed purely of Canadian-born players). PlanetUSA, by contrast, is composed of players from anywhere but Canada, though it is chiefly Americans on the roster.

Date: January 11, 2006 10:35PM

Will
KeithK

Actually, as I recall, the team is called "PlanetUSA" because they play against the Canadian team (i.e., a team composed purely of Canadian-born players). PlanetUSA, by contrast, is composed of players from anywhere but Canada, though it is chiefly Americans on the roster.
In other words, not only does it sound stupid, it's confusing too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2006 10:35PM by jmh30.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:02AM

Will
KeithK

Is the other team called PlanetCanada?

Posted by: JordanCS (---.bunt.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:39AM

I've got to say, it's great to see Vesce have good success at the next level. He was one guy I thought definitely had the skills to do well in the pro game, but I wasn't sure if his size would put him at a disadvantage. If you're an AHL all-star, I think you're capable of playing in the NHL, and hopefully Vesce will get that shot. I always loved watching him play.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:55AM

Will
KeithK

There were extenuating circumstances (I think one of the PlanetUSA goalies was hurt), but a couple years ago, when LeNeveu was an AHL all-star, he played for PlanetUSA despite being Canadian. I guess he is from the planet...

Date: January 12, 2006 11:12PM

JordanCS
I've got to say, it's great to see Vesce have good success at the next level. He was one guy I thought definitely had the skills to do well in the pro game, but I wasn't sure if his size would put him at a disadvantage. If you're an AHL all-star, I think you're capable of playing in the NHL, and hopefully Vesce will get that shot. I always loved watching him play.
The way the NHL game is getting called this year, and the way the game is changing to adjust, Vesce could get a shot despite his size.

Date: January 12, 2006 11:17PM

Another gamewinner for Joe on his only shot tonight.

Murray a +1 on the night with three hits but only 12 minutes of playing time. Sharks' top defensive pair logged ~25 minutes.

Baby scores
Date: January 15, 2006 09:46PM

Bâby had a goal (hos 5th of the season) and an assist Saturday night, but the Chicago Wolves lost to the Toronto Marlies, 4-5.

[www.chicagowolves.com]

Dougie vs. the smurf...
Date: January 16, 2006 11:24AM

on OLN tonight at 8 EST.

Re: Baby scores
Date: January 16, 2006 01:09PM

Stephen Bâby and Mike Iggulden each scored a goal for their respective teams as the Cleveland Barons beat the Chicago Wolves 6-3 at Chicago yesterday.

[www.chicagowolves.com]
[www.clevelandbarons.net]

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.atgi.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 08:38PM

Nice mention of Murray. Still haven't made it to a game to see him play.
[www.sjsharks.com]

Iggulden in Syracuse Jan. 20,21
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 03:14AM

Iggulden will return to Central New York this weekend for a pair of games against Syracuse. The Barons skate against the Crunch on Friday and Saturday nights, with both games set for 7:30 p.m. at the Onondaga County War Memorial.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:47PM

Montreal Canadiens' Christopher Higgins and San Jose Sharks' Doug Murray, top, clash along the boards during NHL action in Montreal, Canada, on Saturday, January 14, 2006.
(AP Photo/Ian Barrett,CP)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 04:48PM by Chris 02.

Date: January 20, 2006 05:11PM

Chris 02
Montreal Canadiens' Christopher Higgins and San Jose Sharks' Doug Murray, top, clash along the boards during NHL action in Montreal, Canada, on Saturday, January 14, 2006.
Just a couple of gentlemanly, effete Ivy Leaguers extending cordial greetings after a long absence.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 06:00PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:15PM

Chris 02

[reminisces about Murray's SHG against Yale in the first game of the 2002 ECAC Quintafinals...]

Posted by: bjybjy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 02:06AM

jtwcornell91
[reminisces about Murray's SHG against Yale in the first game of the 2002 ECAC Quintafinals...]

That was amazing. Mugs the guy at the blueline, steals the puck, skates up the ice alone has like no gas left and still lets off a laser from the top of the circle and beats the goalie glove side. Man...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:39PM

Solid night for Leneveu in a losing effort. He stopped 40 of 41 shots he faced, but got no offensive support as Rochester shut out San Antonio 1-0.

Vesce also showed up on the score sheets tonight, getting the first assist on Springfield's OT goal that gave them a 3-2 win over Lowell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 09:39AM by DisplacedCornellian.

Hugh Jessiman
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.127.16.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:28PM

The much maligned Dartmouth "alum" scored his first AHL goal for the Wolfpack tonight.

Re: Hugh Jessiman
Date: January 23, 2006 02:10AM

Well, it wouldn't have taken him so long if he hadn't been so woefully unprepared for pro hockey that he had to be sent down to the ECHL for seasoning.

To be fair, it could be worse - he could be playing in, I don't know, Asshat, Finland. :-D

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.86.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:02PM

jmh30
Well, it wouldn't have taken him so long if he hadn't been so woefully unprepared for pro hockey that he had to be sent down to the ECHL for seasoning.

Speaking of woeful, apparently George Parros (Princeton '03) is up with the Kings this season. I know this only because of his extended fight just now on OLN. They say he's "working with Marty McSorley [to get better at fighting]" New NHL, eh?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 07:15AM

Nieuwendyk is 4th in scoring on the Panthers after their 49th game: 32 12 11 23, with a typically excellent FO% of 56.6. Not bad for a 40-year old. He has 545 career goals -- 23rd all-time, one more than Rocket Richard.

Next stops:

(19) 560 Guy Lafleur
(20) 556 Johnny Bucyk
(21) 549 Ron Francis
(22) 548 Michel Goulet

Date: January 24, 2006 07:17AM

Trotsky
Nieuwendyk is 4th in scoring on the Panthers after their 49th game: 32 12 11 23, with a typically excellent FO% of 56.6. Not bad for a 40-year old. He has 545 career goals -- 23rd all-time, one more than Rocket Richard.

Next stops:

(19) 560 Guy Lafleur
(20) 556 Johnny Bucyk
(21) 549 Ron Francis
(22) 548 Michel Goulet
And, IIRC, behind only Brett Hull among former-college players.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 07:18AM

These are the guys above him:
Wayne Gretzky

Gordie Howe

Brett Hull

Marcel Dionne

Phil Esposito

Mike Gartner

Mark Messier

Mario Lemieux *

Steve Yzerman *

Luc Robitaille *

Dave Andreychuk *

Bobby Hull

Dino Ciccarelli

Jari Kurri

Brendan Shanahan *

Mike Bossy

Jaromir Jagr *

Guy Lafleur

Joe Sakic *

Johnny Bucyk

Ron Francis

Michel Goulet

(* active)

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:22AM

Looks like you can take that asterisk off of Lemieux... :`(

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:24PM

and Andreychuk

[www.nhl.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:17PM

Chris '03
Speaking of woeful, apparently George Parros (Princeton '03) is up with the Kings this season. I know this only because of his extended fight just now on OLN. They say he's "working with Marty McSorley [to get better at fighting]" New NHL, eh?
Parros also already has a couple of NHL goals, which is well more than Jessiman can say.

Date: January 25, 2006 08:18AM

Another solid night for Leneveu last night, as he stopped 43 of 45 shots in a 4-2 win over Milwaukee.

Date: January 27, 2006 10:58PM

And yet another big night for Leneveu tonight. He stopped 45 of 47 shots in a 3-2 win over Bâby and the Wolves. Lenny and the Rampage held on for the win despite being outshot 47-17 in the game.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 01:53PM

Los Angeles Kings right winger Dustin Brown, right, tumbles as he battles San Jose Sharks defenseman Doug Murray in the first period of their National Hockey league game in Los Angeles Saturday, Jan. 21, 2006. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Yet another one of those guys that SHOULD have come to Cornell is made to pay via Dougie.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 05:04PM

The Phantoms game was on Comcast Friday night. Charlie Cook didn't suit up. Bummer.

He did play Sunday evening against Providence (no pts, 2 PIM)

Date: January 30, 2006 05:11PM

Looks like he's having a decent year in terms of +/- and scoring. Is he getting his weight up at all? He's in the Flyers orgnization after all.

Date: January 31, 2006 05:30PM

RatushnyFan
Looks like he's having a decent year in terms of +/- and scoring. Is he getting his weight up at all? He's in the Flyers orgnization after all.

His scoring and +/- hasn't changed much in the past few weeks. I look for him in the stats after each weekend, but haven't seem him listed.

Don't know about his weight, since all I've seen is the one photo on the team website. :-P But the Flyers have three trees on the blueline, and three or four smaller guys, so he may have a chance.

Not sure how much game time he's getting, but I suspect it'll be less than before. With Pitkanen healthy, they'll probably be sending Jones back down (and they only had Picard up for a couple of games). Though trading Seidenberg helped his chances a bit.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-194-3.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 08:16PM

The AHL All-Star Skills competition is on Fox Sports Net New England, DirecTV Ch. 620 right now. Ryan Vesce is participating.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.19.77.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 08:27PM

Also free stream fro B2, [theahl.com]

Vesce is going against Jeff Tambellini in the fastest skater and will be shooting on Yann Danis in the pass and score.

Noah Welch is partcipating in the rapid fire competition and hardest shot.

Both are also in the breakaway relay.

Posted by: charley cook (---.pthurn01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 08:35PM

broken foot on blocked shot a couple weeks ago.

Date: January 31, 2006 10:23PM

ouch. hope he mends quickly.

Date: February 01, 2006 07:42AM

charley cook
broken foot on blocked shot a couple weeks ago.

Actually, in my mind that's good news. It means they haven't made any negative decisions.

Good to see he's back on the ice, tho.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 03:28PM

He should have come to Cornell and gave up playing in the NHl at age 18?

Date: February 01, 2006 04:43PM

mjh89
He should have come to Cornell and gave up playing in the NHl at age 18?
From the selfish perspective of a Cornell hockey fan, an emphatic yes! :-D

Date: February 01, 2006 08:33PM

Vesce with an assist on the first goal in the AHL all star game (Welch from Harvard also assisted on the goal:-( ). The goal was scored by Patrick O'Sullivan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 08:35PM by bigred06.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:49PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Hynes hasn't played a game in months. Biggest mistake of his career/life leaving Cornell. He wasn't ready to go pro - plain and simple.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:00PM

calgARI '07
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Hynes hasn't played a game in months. Biggest mistake of his career/life leaving Cornell. He wasn't ready to go pro - plain and simple.

I'm pretty sure I heard he's injured.

Date: February 01, 2006 09:26PM

I know that he is injured and i think i heard he would be out until march or april.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 12:35AM

Something just doesn't sound right about Welch to Vesce

Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 05:06PM

Hynes hurt his knee in early December and hasn't played since.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 05:08PM by Steve M.

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 06:26PM

Steve M
Hynes hurt his knee in early December and hasn't played since.
Never would have happened in college.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login