Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 5, Niagara 4 (Post-game Thread)

Posted by Beeeej 
Cornell 5, Niagara 4 (Post-game Thread)
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:18PM

Who was that guy wearing McCutcheon's sweater? :-}

He's been working awfully hard this season. Sounded like he was finally hitting his stride tonight.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2005 09:22PM by Beeeej.

Re: Cornell 5, Niagara 4 (Post-game Thread)
Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:26PM

First SHG and first GWG for McCutcheon. Congrats!

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:31PM

I'm anxious to hear some analysis from those attending the game. Reading the board it was nice seeing contributions from players other than Moulson & Scott. Defensively, however...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:31PM

Alright, so some actual post game commentary ;)

I'm glad to get the win, but not particularly impressed. Seem like the same team just with a bit more luck. The O showed up, but the D didn't. Would sure be nice to get both at once. The PK was bad, McKee came through big a few times which was very needed. Still not the Dave of last year.

Hopefully McCutcheon will spark something, but when all is said and done, can't say I feel much better now than coming into the night, other than it being nice to get a W.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2005 09:32PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:36PM

The team looked like they were trying to lose. If the D could actually learn to pass and we could get a solid breakout going, we would win every game. The freshman line out there had 2 or 3 really nice shifts which looked promising. It was nice to see McCutcheon get his first and second non-ENGs which I think will give him more confidence to score now.

The first goal was a result of not covering the guy in front of the net on the powerplay. The team really needs to watch that guy and lift his stick on a pass. The second goal was a 2 on 1 that was defended the way it was supposed to, and McKee messed up the save. The McKee of last year makes that save. The third was a 5x3 version of the first one, nothing you can really do about it on a 5x3. The fourth goal I didn't really see. McCutcheons SHG was beautiful.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:40PM

I would like to know how McKee looked from some people at the game. Tough to tell sometimes from the video feed without the benefit of instant replay. The 4th goal wasn't even in the frame that I could see. Hopefully, the spectacular series with about 6 1/2 minutes left when McKee pretty much saved the game will give him a good boost and carry him into tomorrow. Something like that can be all it takes if somebody is just a little lacking in their confidence.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Offense was great, defense and penalty killing were subpar. Salmela did a great job filling in for Glover. Gleed was injured and did not play a shift the entire 2nd and 3rd periods (maybe even the 1st). Seminoff played great defensively. Freshman finally stepped up offensively. The line of Kennedy-Barlow-Kindret was outstanding all night long. McCutcheon is starting to fill the void of Iggulden. He was byfar the best player tonight.

Murphy made some questionable calls like the last penalty on Seminoff and the elbowing on Sawada. Penalty kill got broken down completely by Niagara. We were unable to hold our box on the 5 on 4 or our triangle on the 5 on 3 - missed Carefoot in that aspect. None of the Niagara powerplay goals were McKee's fault, and he actually came up with big saves on a lot of them. However, this really isn't the McKee of last year. The 2 on 1 goal (cause by Krantz trying to pinch) should have been saved. The 4th goal was a slapshot by a Niagara player coming off the bench that McKee was in position for but somehow got through him. He has to learn to cover up his holes a lot better. That said, the Niagara goalie was definitely using oversized pads - no wonder he had nearly 50 stops in the game.

Still very unimpressed with the team as a whole. We can never have all facets of our game working at once. Last weekend, our goaltending and offense did not produce, so far this weekend our defense and special teams faltered against a subpar opponent.

3 stars of the game on Cornell side:
1. McCutcheon
2. Salmela
3. Sawada

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)

Is it possible that Cornell's recent history of success has resulted in the team being able to recruit an arguably more individually skilled player that doesn't work as well in a puck control, hit-first-take-names-later system? Maybe this is some growing pains as the team and coaches have to adjust to a "new look" Cornell. (If not this year, I think we could definitely see that next year with the buzz/rumors of the type of incoming class the Red have.) Couple that with McKee having sub-stellar performances...

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:42PM

My first reactions:

It was very frustrating to see what the PP was doing. Unlike the Union-RPI games, they weren't getting pressure up top. NU's PK was giving them plenty of time and space to do something, but Cornell stubbornly stayed in the Umbrella. On one specific PP in the 2nd, ALL the shots came from the extreme outside. There was once where Moulson looked like he wanted to step in and get something happening on the inside of the defensive perimeter, but he backed off.

Great to see the freshmen appearing on the scoresheet more.

Can't say enough about McCutcheon. Somewhere along the way without Carefoot, something went off in his head. If he really steps it up this season, we can all point to this game where he really found his confidence. The shorty was just magnificent, and that's a move we just haven't been doing this year.

Was Cam Abbott playing? If so, he seemed invisible to me.

2nd and 3rd goals were more representative of "Cornell goals." Throw it on net, and let the garbage men clean up in close. It seems we haven't trusted ourselves to do that often this year.

What's with the defense? I didn't see any bad defensive giveaways like we had last week. Can't really stop that 5x3 backdoor play. But I doubt anyone here is getting that dominant "get a lead and it's over" feeling that has been the hallmark of the dominant defensive teams of the last 5 years. The quick answers by NU was telling that something isn't quite clicking.

Otherwise, glad to break the winless streak.

Date: November 25, 2005 09:44PM

[Q]2tkCornell Wrote:

Murphy made some questionable calls like the last penalty on Seminoff and the elbowing on Sawada. [/q]

Both of those were pretty clear and blatant penalties. Sawada had a nice clean check, but as he pushed back off he threw his elbow into the players head. The last penalty on Seminoff was a result of everyone trying to get McCutcheon the puck for a hat trick and it going out. Seminoff was going to get beat by his player and tried to put his body on him, but ended up just wrapping his arms around him and hauling him down, a pretty blatant penalty.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:47PM

The Offense was solid. Barlow and McCutcheon were spectacular, pegs looked good... Where was Moulson? I didn't see him have a good shift all game. Gleed was Taken out on his first shift, and never returned. Salmela was solid, got beat really bad once though, but nothing became of it.

Kindret also impressed me, he's finding his game... as is Seminoff.

Murphy did everything in his power to tie the game on us there towards the end. He missed a mugging in the corner, then got Seminoff at the blue line. The Seminoff call was a good call, but if he was going to call it, he needed to make the call when abbot got mugged in the corner.

McKee showed flashes of his old self, but he isn;t the same old Dave...

Edit...

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Obryne should be benched a game to teach him to stop taking penalties and to have soft hands...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2005 09:51PM by Dpperk29.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:47PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

...But I doubt anyone here is getting that dominant "get a lead and it's over" feeling that has been the hallmark of the dominant defensive teams of the last 5 years. The quick answers by NU was telling that something isn't quite clicking...[/q]

Yeah, I was thinking after the quick NU goal to make it 3-2 that the last few years I would have considered a 2 goal lead halfway through the 2nd a near lock. But now...

Date: November 25, 2005 09:48PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Great to see the freshmen appearing on the scoresheet more.[/q]

Great to see anyone on the scoresheet more :-P

Date: November 25, 2005 09:50PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

RichH Wrote:
Great to see the freshmen appearing on the scoresheet more.[/Q]
Great to see anyone on the scoresheet more [/q]

Especially when Elynah's favorite Mr. O'Byrne has the 2nd most goals on the team.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 10:11PM

McKee's updated stats:

9GP, 5-3-1, 25 GA, 510 MIN, 2.94 GAA, 158 SV, O SO, .863 SV%

ouch!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 10:45PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

McKee showed flashes of his old self, but he isn;t the same old Dave...[/q]

I think that's how I'd describe his play tonight as well. There were one or two times when he got really lucky that our D was able to bail him out.

Other thoughts:
- Way to go McCutcheon! From my admittedly bad view of it, his shorthanded goal looked beautiful. It'd be great if he could make an Iggulden-like turnaround, and then become one of our best players for his senior year.
- Our D was weaker than it should've been. I'm thinking it can mainly be attributed to Gleed's absence for most of the game.
- Salmela looked not as bad as I had sorta expected him to be, given that he hasn't dressed much yet this season or much at all last season. I hope he continues to not suck and dress for the lineup more often.
- Special teams need a LOT of work.
- In the end, a W is a W, no matter the goal margin. Keep it up, Red.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 25, 2005 11:54PM

Overall, I was not very impressed by our performance. That being said, the bottom line is we got a W and hopefully this will give us some steam.

Freshies played great, glad to them finally making contributions to the game other than sitting in the box. I thought our offense played well and created lots of chances. We easilly could have scored more than 5 if not for a few a few unlucky bounces, posts, etc.

Our defense played sloppy, as seems to be par for the course this year. I thought McKee let in 1 soft goal, but he definitly made some amazing saves late to keep the game close.

However, the worst part of our game tonight had to special teams... definitly not impressed. Will post more thoughts later.

LGR!!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 12:07AM

Offense was a ton better than last week, albeit against an inferior opponent. McKee is simply not making the big saves as far as I'm concerned although he made a huge side to side save late in the third period to preserve the one goal lead. Maybe that will be the turning point of the season for him. It should be noted that Gleed got hurt the first shift of the game and the team was playing with five defensemen the entire night, including Salmela who was playing his first game of the season. I really liked how Salmela was constantly jumping into the play; the first goal against was his man though. Except for his idiotic penalty to put the team two men down, O'Byrne was excellent. Pokuluk played his best game since Yale. The lines at the end of the game were:
Moulson-Bitz-Scott
Abbott-Pegoraro-McCutcheon
Mugford-Abbott-Sawada
Barlow-Kennedy-Kindret
I thought the all-freshman line was really impressive and exciting to watch. Moulson needs to do a lot more. He is falling down every time he gets touched and not making great decisions with the puck. I just want him to do more than just score goals and step up and lead this team. To me, the team lacks leadership and character, especially compared to last year's team. I think Pegoraro has done well in this regard. Need more from the Abbotts and I really don't understand why Schafer won't put them together, considering Cam has struggled mightily in the early going.

Posted by: Andy '07 (---.fltg.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 02:37AM

I thought Barlow really stood out tonight, much moreso than in previous games. Mccutcheon was impressive, but i've liked the way hes played all year. Moulson was invisible. I thought Bitz looked good as well but maybe thats just me. Seminoff looks to be settling in and I like Salmela, but maybe because hes just a new face. I thought we dominated for portions of teh game, and then let one stupid play cost us a goal. Nice to see Kindret get a goal, if only because now i know how to say his name. It should have been 6-2. Heres to blowing the roof off of the blue cross arena

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 09:35AM

Wow, everybody needs to sit in section K to watch the perfect view of McKee. McKee is absolutely lost out there, bad positioning and he's letting in soft goals. Not only that but I noticed last night for the first time that he holds his head down after every goal instead of forgetting about it and moving on, McKee get your head in the game! He clearly has lost his focus. O'byrne played like he has all season, good skills, no common sense, he continued to make horrible plays at the blue line on the power play, he just didn't get caught as badily, but there was a few close calls. Murphy, the ref, was horrible as usual, calling penalties one sided. I saw several charging and boarding penalties that should have been called against NU that were'nt. Oh, and the first goal by NU with the pass that crossed right in front of McKee to a player waiting openly, they tried that three or four times before and just missed it so it is clear that our defense is not picking up what the other team is doing! I'm worried about this year's team only because they are not learning from their mistakes, thus far, usually there is a progression throughout the year!

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: November 26, 2005 10:29AM

This team needs to Challenge themselves to grind their opponents into submission on every inch of the ice - they way the recent successful team have been doing. It looks like a team wide thing with a few consistent bright spots...namely McCutcheon all year, Carefoot all year, usually Pegs, and flashes of brilliance from some of the Freshmen - though still developing and not without the breakdowns and bad penalties. Barlow and Seminoff will probably have awesome careers if they keep coming along at this rate. This team needs to get hungrier and a bit meaner top to bottom. That will hopefully bring everyone's play up including McKee. Other teams used to come into this barn and seem shocked at how hard Cornell was actually willing to play. The talent is certainly there, they just need to ratchet up the effory every game!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 10:42AM

Even watching on CSTV, it was noticeable that every time the fourth line took the ice, the pace picked up and things began happening. There was a lot of frantic energy -- not much planning :-D -- but hey, it's very good to see some boyish enthusiasm.

The three big disappointments are the special teams, McKee (it's true, he doesn't look right), and the absence of the hitting and intimidation that the Red used to wear like battle armor. There's no legitimate physical presence on the team. Not headhunting -- that just gives them 2 minutes to kill -- but there's little open ice hitting and the corner game is no longer automatic.

A win's a win, especially after 0-2-1. Deposit it and improve. The season has hardly begun.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 11:25AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Wow, everybody needs to sit in section K to watch the perfect view of McKee. McKee is absolutely lost out there, bad positioning and he's letting in soft goals. Not only that but I noticed last night for the first time that he holds his head down after every goal instead of forgetting about it and moving on, McKee get your head in the game! He clearly has lost his focus. O'byrne played like he has all season, good skills, no common sense, he continued to make horrible plays at the blue line on the power play, he just didn't get caught as badily, but there was a few close calls. Murphy, the ref, was horrible as usual, calling penalties one sided. I saw several charging and boarding penalties that should have been called against NU that were'nt. Oh, and the first goal by NU with the pass that crossed right in front of McKee to a player waiting openly, they tried that three or four times before and just missed it so it is clear that our defense is not picking up what the other team is doing! I'm worried about this year's team only because they are not learning from their mistakes, thus far, usually there is a progression throughout the year![/q]

Murphy was bad both ways, but I thought he let far more go for Cornell. The Niagara coach was infuriated and rightfully so.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 12:31PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Wow, everybody needs to sit in section K to watch the perfect view of McKee. McKee is absolutely lost out there, bad positioning and he's letting in soft goals. Not only that but I noticed last night for the first time that he holds his head down after every goal instead of forgetting about it and moving on, McKee get your head in the game! He clearly has lost his focus. O'byrne played like he has all season, good skills, no common sense, he continued to make horrible plays at the blue line on the power play, he just didn't get caught as badily, but there was a few close calls. Murphy, the ref, was horrible as usual, calling penalties one sided. I saw several charging and boarding penalties that should have been called against NU that were'nt. Oh, and the first goal by NU with the pass that crossed right in front of McKee to a player waiting openly, they tried that three or four times before and just missed it so it is clear that our defense is not picking up what the other team is doing! I'm worried about this year's team only because they are not learning from their mistakes, thus far, usually there is a progression throughout the year![/Q]
Murphy was bad both ways, but I thought he let far more go for Cornell. The Niagara coach was infuriated and rightfully so. [/q]

I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. I saw a lot of nasty boarding calls and elbows to the head by Niagara that were blatant, even the Niagara players looked back at the refs to see if they were going to get called. However, I can only see one end of the ice so maybe we retaliated on the other end.

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 12:40PM

[Q]2tkCornell Wrote:

McKee's updated stats:

ouch![/q]

I think this drives home the point of just how spoiled we are after the last few years that a GAA under 3 merits an "ouch!"

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 12:44PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Pokuluk played his best game since Yale. [/q]

Pokoluk telegraphed a number of clearing passes in the first period. The Niagra forecheckers picked off three of them, one of which they skated to the net and forced us to take a penalty. It was on that PP that Niagra scored their first goal.

I agree with the rest of your post, especially your comments about Moulson and Pegoraro. I thought this was Moulson's worst game of the year (note: I didn't see @ Brown or @ Yale). He seemed to be pretty selfish with the puck and seemed to be going through the motions on his shifts. He reminded me of Moulson 2 years ago--shying away from all physical contact etc. Granted it was one game and it was nice to see the rest of the team pick up the offensive slack. It is beyond me why Pegoraro isn't wearing a letter on his sweater.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 12:52PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Wow, everybody needs to sit in section K to watch the perfect view of McKee. McKee is absolutely lost out there, bad positioning and he's letting in soft goals. Not only that but I noticed last night for the first time that he holds his head down after every goal instead of forgetting about it and moving on, McKee get your head in the game! He clearly has lost his focus. O'byrne played like he has all season, good skills, no common sense, he continued to make horrible plays at the blue line on the power play, he just didn't get caught as badily, but there was a few close calls. Murphy, the ref, was horrible as usual, calling penalties one sided. I saw several charging and boarding penalties that should have been called against NU that were'nt. Oh, and the first goal by NU with the pass that crossed right in front of McKee to a player waiting openly, they tried that three or four times before and just missed it so it is clear that our defense is not picking up what the other team is doing! I'm worried about this year's team only because they are not learning from their mistakes, thus far, usually there is a progression throughout the year![/Q]
Murphy was bad both ways, but I thought he let far more go for Cornell. The Niagara coach was infuriated and rightfully so. [/q]

I remember the one time when their coach went off on one of the officials--it was on a hit by Mugford that should have been called. I don't think Murphy saw the hit, but it was right next to a linesmen who their coach wanted to make the call.

From my view that hit on Sawada shouldn't have been called--it looked to me like his elbows were down, but I didn't have a particularly good view of the hit. Just our luck though, the one time we actually hit someone it gets penalized. I don't understand why our guys aren't hitting this year. I find it hard to believe that Vartaressian and Hynes did 90% of our hitting. Sawada, Gleed, O'Byrne, Pokoluk need to step up the physical play.

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: November 26, 2005 01:15PM

People know that Ray (Ray train) is coming and dish it before he can get a hit in. Mugford is getting some physical play in, funny that despite his stature - Barlow is always trying to bang out there -gritty guy with offensive skill.

Date: November 26, 2005 02:53PM

Honestly guys, there's a lot less hitting cause a lot of hitting is illegal now, and not just the 'dirty' type. Anything that gets in the way of the progress of another player is interference. If an offensive player is coming down the rink, dumps the puck (or is carrying it) into the zone, and is hip-checked into the wall... that's now interference. The video the NHL released explaining the new rules made that painfully clear.

Hitting is basically still allows when a player has just let go of, or is carrying the puck, and isn't particularly going in one direction (i.e. when cycling down low or clearing, etc).

Now, who knows if the college refs would call it, nevermind consistently, but perhaps that was one cause for our hugely penalized games against Yale and Brown and they've had to lay off.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 03:07PM

This seems to be a team without identity, one that is defined by the polls. I have been waiting to see who on this team would be the one to step up and give this team the leadership and identity that it soo badly needs. Last night I saw three things that were signs of an upside:

(1) McCutcheon?? I have been waiting soo long to see him gain the confidence to use his amazing skillz. after his first goal everytime he touched the puck it wasn't immediately taken off his stick, instead he had the patience and confidence to make a move. Hopefully the team can grow from his effort and newfound patience.

(2) Even Samela - This kid comes off the sidelines and makes by far some of the most educated plays of the night. He was the only defenseman I felt completely comfortable with breaking the puck out of our defensive end. He made some other great clutch plays as well.

(3) Freshman line -These guys were what I have become accustomed to from a cornell team in the last few years. They go to the corners with reckless abandon, buzz in the corners, and fill each others holes with great efficiency.

I hope that our forwards can follow mccutcheon and gain confidence, the defense can follow samela and gain patience, and the team can look to the freshman and gain drive. Lets hope these three positive aspects of last nights game become contaigous tonight. LGR!!!

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 04:02PM

I liked what I saw for the most part last night, especially offensively.

After not scoring even strength for 3 games it was nice to see something other than a man up goal. They were using the points more and this open Niagara up a little bit to allow players to drive to the net. So instead of being hit with the point shots out players were able to clean up the rebounds and bury them. We have some guys who can bomb it from the point, there is no reason that we shouldn't utilize that more.

Now if we could stay out of the penatly box then the defense didn't look so bad either. They game would've been 5-2 instead. McKee had no shot on either PP goal. I think part of the issue is Cornell lays off once they get a lead. It seems like they call the dogs off and get sloppy at times, other than the ENG's last night was Cornell's first two goal lead of the year I believe.

Let's hope they can keep it rolling tonight, Let's Go Red!!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 04:13PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:

(1) McCutcheon ... after his first goal everytime he touched the puck it wasn't immediately taken off his stick, instead he had the patience and confidence to make a move.[/q]

Absolutely. He had one shift in particular, a couple minutes after the shorty, on which he brought the puck down, briefly had it stripped but picked off the pass from the corner, circled, had a decent shot which was blocked, then retreated and picked off *another* pass, this time out at the point, and moved the play back into the N end again. It was about 12 seconds of him owning the right half of the Niagara defensive zone from the red line to the goal line extended. Gorgeous.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 05:07PM

[Q]schoaff Wrote:

2tkCornell Wrote:

McKee's updated stats:

ouch![/Q]
I think this drives home the point of just how spoiled we are after the last few years that a GAA under 3 merits an "ouch!"[/q]I think it is the .863 SV% that has people saying "ouch."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login