Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schafer Suspended One Game

Posted by redhair34 
Schafer Suspended One Game
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 02:55PM

According to CHN Schafer has been suspended one game. ECAC homepage confirms this..."ECAC Hockey League Commissioner Steve Hagwell has announced that Cornell head coach Mike Schafer has been suspended for one game due to his post-game conduct last weekend vs. Michigan State. Schafer will serve his suspension this Friday, Nov. 4, when the Big Red travels to Yale. "
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 02:58PM by redhair34.

Re: Schafer Suspended One Game
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:00PM

[Q]Thursday, November 3
Cornell's Schafer Out for Friday's Game

ALBANY, N.Y. - ECAC Hockey League Commissioner Steve Hagwell has announced that Cornell head coach Mike Schafer has been suspended for one game due to his post-game conduct last weekend vs. Michigan State. Schafer will serve his suspension this Friday, Nov. 4, when the Big Red travels to Yale. [/Q]

From ECACHL's website.

Re: Schafer Suspended One Game [why?]
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:03PM

I wasn't in ithaca...... what did he do to get this?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.unwired-grad.wm.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:04PM

I assume this is for the interactions with the MSU players?

Meh...it's not the first time Mike has been suspended, and probably won't be the last. Just one of the costs of having a coach who is passionate about the game, the players, and the fans.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 03:10PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Date: November 03, 2005 03:33PM

Nov. 3, 2005

From the athletic site...
[Q]
ALBANY, N.Y. - ECAC Hockey League Commissioner Steve Hagwell has announced that Cornell head coach Mike Schafer has been suspended for one game due to his post-game conduct last weekend vs. Michigan State. Schafer will serve his suspension this Friday, Nov. 4, when the Big Red travels to Yale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meakem*Smith Director of Athletics and Physical Education Andy Noel's statement regarding Coach Schafer's suspension -

"The Cornell Department of Athletics and Physical Education respects the authority of the ECACHL. Coach Schafer tried to calm a situation before it escalated. He regrets grabbing the jersey of an opposing player in an attempt to guide the team safely off the ice. We addressed this matter internally, and with this suspension consider the matter closed. Mike is a tremendous teacher of young men and a great role model in our community. We continue to offer Mike and his program our unwavering support." [/Q]

I've got to say, that is the best comment to come out of the athletics office in years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 03:44PM by redhair34.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:34PM

Kill, Schafer, Kill!

:-)

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:41PM

I agree!!!

This is what he did..
Posted by: Oat (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:55PM

MSU disrespected our team by refusing to leave our ice after the game and made rude gestures towards the fans (and not to mention Nightingoon who slapshot a bottle into the crowd, but this was of course after our crowd turned stupid and threw those bottles onto the ice). Anyway, Schafer went over to the MSU team and here is where we have many different perspectives and versions of the story:

1. My version:
He politely congratulated them on the win, encouraged them to celebrate outside with their parents, and gently nudged them toward the door in a fatherly and loving manner.

2. Other people's version:
He told them to get the hell off our ice and stop acting stupid. Then, seemingly unprovoked, he proceeded to strongarm some MSU children in front of their parents (shoved some idiots towards the exit and said "don't ever come back here again, you insignificant slime balls";).

OK, no one knows for sure what he said. But as you can see, whether or not he deserves to be suspended is just a matter of opinion and I believe that the ECAC was working on the version 2 hear-say when they handed down the suspension. In my opinion, Feola should have been suspended for at least an equal (if not greater) length of time.

Re: This is what he did..
Date: November 03, 2005 04:00PM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

MSU disrespected our team by refusing to leave our ice after the game and made rude gestures towards the fans (and not to mention Nightingoon who slapshot a bottle into the crowd, but this was of course after our crowd turned stupid and threw those bottles onto the ice). Anyway, Schafer went over to the MSU team and here is where we have many different perspectives and versions of the story:

1. My version:
He politely congratulated them on the win, encouraged them to celebrate outside with their parents, and gently nudged them toward the door in a fatherly and loving manner.

2. Other people's version:
He told them to get the hell off our ice and stop acting stupid. Then, seemingly unprovoked, he proceeded to strongarm some MSU children in front of their parents (shoved some idiots towards the exit and said "don't ever come back here again, you insignificant slime balls";).

OK, no one knows for sure what he said. But as you can see, whether or not he deserves to be suspended is just a matter of opinion and I believe that the ECAC was working on the version 2 hear-say when they handed down the suspension. In my opinion, Feola should have been suspended for at least an equal (if not greater) length of time.[/q]

I'm guessing they believed something in between. Otherwise you can bet he would have recieved a heftier punishment.

Date: November 03, 2005 04:24PM

I do agree, though, that the ECACHL should look at game footage and figure out what to do with Feola. He did not call a fair game (He blew calls on both sides), and he missed some dangerous hits. I can't wait 'til he comes back to lynah. It's a good thing he probably doesn't beat his wife (For her sake), but that won't stop me next time for reminding him about his size: "The Ref's beat by his wife..."

Posted by: dadeo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:15PM

dont tell me Feola is turning into Murphy?!

Isnt Feola the only ECACHL ref to ref in NCAA games?

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:45PM

Now, I'm curious. Does this mean Schafer can't be at the bench nor in the locker room on Friday, or is he barred from being anywhere in the arena at all?

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 06:12PM

Personally, I think he was trying to prevent a potential riot. He did what the MSU coaches and the refs failed to do.

I think shagwell did what he had to do with respect to Schafer. Regardless of the circumstances or cause, an opposing coach should not touch a player in the way Schafer did -- again, I still think he did the right thing.

I'll be very disappointed in shagwell if he doesn't come down hard on Feola. smashfreak

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:14PM

So, the important question is: how do we deal with this? A huge, extended kill, schafer, kill at the start of the next game? A sign? I think it would be hilarious if showed we supported his conduct en masse.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:18PM

Supported his conduct?

Why is it a heinous offense for another coach to make contact with his own player and okay for Schafer to grab an opposing player?

Seems that the commish does not share that view and frankly, I think he was fortunate to get only a one game suspension.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:24PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Supported his conduct?

Why is it a heinous offense for another coach to make contact with his own player and okay for Schafer to grab an opposing player?

Seems that the commish does not share that view and frankly, I think he was fortunate to get only a one game suspension.[/q]

*snort*... "make contact with". Spin much?

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:36PM

Still, Rich has a point. Schafer was wrong. He admits it himself. So, support him, but do not support his conduct.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:49PM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:

Schafer was wrong. He admits it himself. So, support him, but do not support his conduct.[/q]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Date: November 03, 2005 09:53PM

Was he frustrated the refs weren't doing their job at the end of the game ? Sounds like it from earlier comments.

Thats a real challenge for a coach at any level; I've felt it myself at the HS level. Hagwell seems to be indicating he's holding the coach to a higher standard. That's a good message for Schafer; on occasion I think his arrogance crosses the line.

Hopefully he investigates the officials too.

Date: November 03, 2005 09:54PM

Call it whatever you like. rolleyes

Date: November 03, 2005 10:01PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Call it whatever you like. [/q]

Well, you certainly chose to call it something that served your purpose. rolleyes

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Rich S Wrote:

Call it whatever you like. [/Q]
Well, you certainly chose to call it something that served your purpose. [/q]

Don't try to clean it up, it was poor form and leave it at that.

Date: November 03, 2005 10:11PM

So did you guys for quite awhile after the incident.

I'm quite sure my understanding of the situation is closer to what took place than your version which you guys spun to characterize the guy as a sort of axe murderer.

Call it whatever you like means just that...it's in the past and you guys are convinced of what happened.

Acknowledge what Schafer did (the "grabbing";) was wrong. Don't support that part of jis behavior in the incident.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:14PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:
Acknowledge what Schafer did (the "grabbing";) was wrong. Don't support that part of jis {sic} behavior in the incident.[/q]

Pretty sure many of us have already done that, Rich. And it wasn't because you said we had to.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 11:28PM

How many stiches did that MSU player need again?

I mean, that was vicious contact with his jersey - might have burst a seam that would need darning...

rolleyes

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:57AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:
I believe that the ECAC was working on the version 2 hear-say [/q]

It was more than just hearsay, since SHagwell was at the game, and presumably had a good view of the altercation from the zamboni door. (Of course, I was in a similar vantage point in A, and managed to miss the inicident, mostly because I was busy yelling at the MSU players for being a bunch of classless punks. I did see Schafer yell at the student section after the bottle-throwing, though.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 01:28AM

uscho columnists weigh in

[www.uscho.com]
[www.uscho.com]

i wasnt there...but in my opinion if an opposing coach touches another player then he should be disciplined. that is that. now lets get a bunch of points this weekend, red :)

Date: November 04, 2005 08:43AM

Fuck Feola!

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 08:55AM

Hurray for you Beej. rolleyes

But, I didn't say you "had" to; it was merely a suggestion.

Date: November 04, 2005 09:03AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Acknowledge what Schafer did (the "grabbing";) was wrong.

Then clarified:
But, I didn't say you "had" to; it was merely a suggestion. [/q]

Okay.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2005 09:04AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 10:05AM

I agree with everyone that we shouldn't be throwing bottles onto the ice. But it wasn't any sort of torrential rain of debris, I counted maybe 4 or 5 thrown out there. Still bad, but I think that's been blown out of proportion a bit.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 10:51AM

I wish all those snobs at H-Y-P would stop thinking they're better than everyone so we wouldn't have to hear the "especially from the Ivy League" crap every time someone acts like a human being rather than an angel. rolleyes

The Ivy League is an athletic conference, nothing more.

I agree that Paula really spun up the "rain of bottles" angle.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 11:02AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

i wasnt there...but in my opinion if an opposing coach touches another player then he should be disciplined. that is that. now lets get a bunch of points this weekend, red[/q]

Paula C. Weston, for lack of a better word, is a moron.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 11:08AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:
jy3 Wrote:
i wasnt there...but in my opinion if an opposing coach touches another player then he should be disciplined. that is that. now lets get a bunch of points this weekend, red[/Q]
Paula C. Weston, for lack of a better word, is a moron. [/q]

... and she admits she wasn't even there! this is another example of piss-poor-modern-spin-machine BS that doesn't have all the facts.
throwing crap = bad. raining bottles = wasn't even there. help

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 11:34AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:
jy3 Wrote:
i wasnt there...but in my opinion if an opposing coach touches another player then he should be disciplined. that is that. now lets get a bunch of points this weekend, red[/Q]
Paula C. Weston, for lack of a better word, is a moron. [/Q]
... and she admits she wasn't even there! this is another example of piss-poor-modern-spin-machine BS that doesn't have all the facts.
throwing crap = bad. raining bottles = wasn't even there.[/q]

[Q]To celebrate a hard-fought victory, the Spartan players went to the corner section where their fans were sitting — mostly parents of the players — and saluted[/Q]

They didn't salute in the corner, they were at the center and facing the students. She makes absolutely no comment about the taunting by the MSU player, nor does she mention Nightingale shooting a bottle back into the stands.

[Q]From what I know of fan behavior in recent years, I am not surprised by the hail of soda bottles and other materials, although it does sadden me.[/Q]
she should come for an Ithaca winter to get a better understanding of precipitation--I'd be happy to supply the tissues.

[Q]...that civility seems a lost cause in the arenas and rinks around the country, even at the college level, even in the Ivy League.[/Q]
How good of her to to hold the "Ivy League" to a higher standard (read:sarcastic). I'd have to say the number of MSU players that needed a lesson in "civility" was greater than the number of bottle-throwing losers that needed the same lesson.

Posted by: Mission Accomplished (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

I'm quite sure my understanding of the situation is closer to what took place than your version which you guys spun to characterize the guy as a sort of axe murderer.

Call it whatever you like means just that...it's in the past and you guys are convinced of what happened.[/q]

It was nice seeing you at the game. nut

Posted by: Mission Accomplished (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]Dafatone Wrote:

I counted maybe 4 or 5 thrown out there.[/q]

You can't count! You can't count!

If you stayed long enough, you would have seen the girls come out with plastic bags to pick up all of the bottles.

Hell, you could spin and say Schafer was trying to protect the MSU players from our fans.

Date: November 04, 2005 12:44PM

My e-mail, sent earlier today:

Hi, Paula -

I'm sure you're tired of hearing from people about the Cornell/MSU "incident," but I wanted to drop in my two cents. For the record, I was there, I'm a Cornell alum, and I'm ashamed. However:

First of all, what you referred to as a "hail of soda bottles and other materials" was, at most, four or five plastic bottles. And none of them came near hitting an MSU player. It was absolutely inappropriate and inexcusable behavior, but some people have been talking about it as if it rained shards of glass and lugwrenches and MSU's players were in mortal danger.

Second, it was not just in response to the officiating and the final score, it was also in response to some of the MSU players taunting the main Cornell student sections. What the Spartans apparently don't understand is that 99% of what the Lynah Faithful do is never intended to be personal or vindictive - they love to get into players' heads during the game, but after the game is over, win or lose, they'd also love to go out with their opponents and their opponents' fans for a friendly quaff. The Spartans and their families, perhaps unused to this kind of enthusiasm - or more pointedly, perhaps used to a more abusive, personal kind of enthusiasm at Yost - seemed to take it personally. For NCAA Div. I athletes to take pleasure in needling opposing fans after a win - after a *split*, mind you, in which Cornell outplayed them five out of six periods - is a troubling, classless thing. (And it proved that the Faithful *do* get into *some* players' heads.)

Third, at least one MSU player actually used his stick to shoot one of the bottles back into the crowd. That the bottle was on the ice in the first place was, as I said, inexcusable, and I hope the students involved were punished - but it's equally inexcusable that this player suffered no consequences for his own behavior.

I will not defend Schafer's actions, but I'm glad you recognize what kind of human being he is. And thank you for addressing the incident on USCHO.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:53PM

Bah, bottle throwing is for ninnies.

My best/worst memory of Lynah at near riot is from 1995, when, after a 2-2 tie with accompanying goal dislodging and falling on the puck on their part, RPI players acted like they had just won the damn Stanley Cup. There was gesturing and throwing of sticks. I don't remember any bottle or garbage throwing by the fans; instead, there was this bizarre crush towards the zamboni entrance, which was open for the RPI players to leave the ice. Seriously, sections A and B (and a good number of the pep band) headed down the stands for a throwdown. Without appropriate behavior by the law enforcement personnel between the groups, I'm not so sure that there wouldn't have been blows. Maybe it's my imagination, but I remember a chant something like, "See you out-side!" Fans waited around by the RPI team bus to give them a few more pieces of their minds. It was unusual behavior to be part of and to observe. Frankly, it was more than a little scary.

At least MSU had won the game. Maybe these kids just don't understand that mobs are dangerous. (C.f., soccer hooliganism.) After an away win, you should pack up and get the hell off the ice. Win and leave--then there's nobody for the fans to be angry at except their own team. That's what Clarkson used to do back in the day: they were clinical, absolutely clinical. The difference in emotion between that RPI tie and the 3-1 loss to Erik Cole's Clarkson my senior year was substantial.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.northgrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:56PM

Actually, one bottle did hit a MSU player (Chris Mueller) in the head. Chris was standing outside the locker room after being injured in the first period.

Throwing bottles is stupid.

The CCHA and ECACHL columns didn’t mention the part about MSU players yelling obscenities and making crude sexual gestures towards sections A and B as they were getting off the ice. rolleyes

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 01:16PM

Robb--I agree with your Ivy league comment...they're probably just jealous that we have more plants growing on our buildings nut

Beeeej--very well said

redhair34--
I agree with your Ivy League comment too :-)
[Q]They didn't salute in the corner, they were at the center and facing the students.[/Q]
From where I was (sect B) it didn't really seem like the center to me...it did seem to be directed to their fans...but I agree that they should have just left the ice

(and do ovals have corners? nut ...sorry...i'm just happy it's friday...)

just my 2 cents on the matter

LFS

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 02:25PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
Win and leave--then there's nobody for the fans to be angry at except their own team. That's what Clarkson used to do back in the day: they were clinical, absolutely clinical. The difference in emotion between that RPI tie and the 3-1 loss to Erik Cole's Clarkson my senior year was substantial.[/q][nitpick]
Maybe you mean Todd White's Clarkson? Erik Cole didn't get there until 97-98.
[/nitpick]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.125.189.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 02:43PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Maybe these kids just don't understand that mobs are dangerous. (C.f., soccer hooliganism.) [/q]

Of course athletics doesn't know that mobs are dangerous either. (See, ticket line '05)

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 03:52PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
Maybe you mean Todd White's Clarkson? Erik Cole didn't get there until 97-98.
[/q]
Young whippersnapper! Nitpicking won't get you anything... well... but a bunch of... nits.

I forget things. I blame mad cow.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:28PM

Good point! I hope I never get it. Hey! What about this? If you had the choice of being the top scientist in your field or getting mad cow disease what would it be?

Date: November 04, 2005 04:31PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
Young whippersnapper! Nitpicking won't get you anything... well... but a bunch of... nits.

I forget things. I blame mad cow.[/q]I think I'm going to have to make a point of it to make comments like that to Scersk more often now that I'm learning to appreciate it any time someone calls me "young". :-D

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:45PM

Did they even have internet in dorms when you were on east hill? B-]

Date: November 04, 2005 04:50PM

Wait, there are dorms now??

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2005 04:50PM by Beeeej.

Date: November 04, 2005 04:52PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Wait, there are dorms now??[/q]No, there used to be dorms. Now there are "residential colleges".

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.mounet.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 05:28PM

[Q]JDeafv Wrote:
The CCHA and ECACHL columns didn’t mention the part about MSU players yelling obscenities and making crude sexual gestures towards sections A and B as they were getting off the ice. [/q]

Including a guy in a suit, who I suspect was an assistant coach.

Does the archived all access video at include the post-game incidents?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 05:31PM

just some wide angle stuff but nothing of real substance.

Date: November 04, 2005 06:38PM

what game?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 06:43PM

I did stay a while after the loss, actually. I guess I was so caught up in everything I didn't really pay attention to the bottles.

Date: November 04, 2005 07:15PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:
what game? [/q]The Cornell-MSU game you weren't at. If you're going to call us on having been further removed from the Mark Morris situation than you were, then you're opening yourself up to being called on the same thing.

Here's one objective comparison that doesn't draw on anybody's tinted glasses: Morris lost his job, Schafer got a one-game suspension.

Posted by: JimHyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:39AM

[Q]LynahFaithfulS Wrote: redhair34--
I agree with your Ivy League comment too
They didn't salute in the corner, they were at the center and facing the students.[/Q]

(and do ovals have corners? ...sorry...i'm just happy it's friday...)LFS[/q]No, they don't. If you ever needed confirmation of that just talk to someone old enough B-] to remember the old Boston Arena. It really was more oval shaped, with the boards turning well before the goal line. Because of that it played alot differently, and we would have had to change our board style accordingly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login