Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Jessiman to the ECHL?

Posted by calgARI '07 
Jessiman to the ECHL?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: November 02, 2005 04:38PM

The New York Post is reporting that it is likely given his awful performance in Hartford so far - pointless in 7 games. As I have said from Day 1, he is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen and will never even sniff the NHL. The NHL needs to learn not to just draft based on size.

Re: Jessiman to the ECHL?
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 05:08PM

That, and Jessiman needs to learn who Tom Seaver is. :-D

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 06:18PM

and he needs to control his temper. that game in dartmouth we saw 2 years ago...never seen a "skilled" player play so dirty

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
The NHL needs to learn not to just draft based on size. [/q]

See Prpic, Joel.

[www.hockeydb.com]
[ohioohana.tripod.com]

Date: November 02, 2005 09:51PM

Prpic wasn't a first round pick or even remotely high.

Date: November 02, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Prpic wasn't a first round pick or even remotely high. [/q]

Thanks, Sherlock. But remember that this was in the era before NHL over-expansion. Being drafted anywhere was still something of note in the ECAC.

My point was to support your own statement that some players are drafted for size alone.

Date: November 02, 2005 10:11PM

Um ok Sherlock. My point was that Jessiman was a first round pick with projections as a superstar in the NHL. As far as I'm concerned, for a 9th round pick, Prpic did pretty well. Jessiman was the 12th overall pick. Yes, they're both big guys who played in college but the expectations for a ninth round pick are nothing compared to what they are for a first round pick. Prpic did better than most ninth round picks and exceeded expectations whereas Jessiman I believe will come in far below.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 10:13PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 10:12PM

I saw Jessiman in Albany two years ago in the semis vs Clarkson.

Actually, I didn't. I tried to watch him play that night but as Marv Albert used to say, he was "invisible". That night his teammate Lee Stempniak (sp?) was the best Dartmouth player on the ice by far!

Ironic that just the other day, Lee was called up to the NHL. I agree with the assessment that Jessiman won't make the NHL. An NHL GM and his Dir of Player Personnel told me they were stunned that Sather drafted him that high.

However, I must say, in reference to a post below, he wasn't drafted for his size alone. Sather has said that several times. Of course, whatever the reason he was drafted #1, that's wrong too!

Date: November 02, 2005 10:28PM

Sather has had a terrible drafting for nearly two decades. Selmar Odelein, Scott Metcalfe, Kim Issel, Peter Soberlak, Francois Leroux, Jason Soules, Scott Allison, Tyler Wright, Joe Hulbig, Nick Stajduhar, Jason Bonsignore, Steve Kelly, Michel Riesen, Michael Henrich were all first round picks Sather made in Edmonton.

Date: November 02, 2005 10:40PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Um ok Sherlock. My point was that Jessiman was a first round pick with projections as a superstar in the NHL. [/q]

No it wasn't, because you didn't say that. Your point as you wrote it was that he was drafted based on his size.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 11:24PM

After the draft, MSG had a special on the Rangers' draft preparations that year. Tom Renney appeared to be running the process. At one point they showed their blackboard with their rankings. They had Jessiman ranked 4th overall. I remember thinking and telling people that I thought that Parise was the steal of the draft (certainly compared with Jessiman who was vastly overrated). Parise went #17 first round to the Devils, who always seem to know what they're doing. Included in that MSG show was footage of the pre-draft interview they did with Ryan Suter. They asked Suter who the best player he played with or against was, and he answered Parise, whom he had played with on a US team (U-18?). They didn't listen.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 11:31PM

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 01:04AM

wishes not to have his name invoked on this thread any longer.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 01:30AM

Note to self. Check this thread a month after Pokulok has turned pro. ;-)

Date: November 03, 2005 02:07AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:
wishes not to have his name invoked on this thread any longer.[/q]
Luckily, I was referring to Sherlock Goldstein, my dentist's cousin.

Date: November 03, 2005 02:55AM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

Note to self. Check this thread a month after Pokulok has turned pro. [/q]

I'm glad someone said it. I didn't wanna be the one to do it.

Date: November 03, 2005 06:27AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

ursaminor Wrote:

Note to self. Check this thread a month after Pokulok has turned pro. [/Q]
I'm glad someone said it. I didn't wanna be the one to do it.[/q]

I am an RPI fan. I can say it :-D, and since RPI hasn't had an NHL draft choices at all since 2001 and has never had a #1 selection, there is nothing comparable in our history. (We have had our share of players who were drafted only because of their size. Here's RPI's complete list [www.augenblick.org].)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 06:29AM by ursaminor.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:02AM

Ursaminor,

Interesting, Adam Oates wasn't drafted ? I believe he signed a 1 million dollar rookie contract, which was a ton of money back then, didn't realize it went to an undrafted free agent.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:15AM

[Q]Drew Wrote:

Ursaminor,

Interesting, Adam Oates wasn't drafted ? I believe he signed a 1 million dollar rookie contract, which was a ton of money back then, didn't realize it went to an undrafted free agent.[/q]

That's correct -- he wasn't drafted. I think that he got on the order of 0.5 million dollars but I could be wrong. Detroit signed at least four college free agents in 1985. Besides for Oates, they were Tim Friday (his teammate at RPI), Chris Cichocki of MTU, and Ray Staszak of UIC. Staszuk was supposed to be the best of the lot but was a complete bust.

Oates' draft year was a year when the draft age was lowered, so effectively two years worth of players were drafted at the same time. That and his lack of speed and size caused him not to be drafted. His ability at faceoffs and passing were apparently regarded as less important.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:25AM

D. Brown is gonna turn out to be the steal of the draft!

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 01:10PM

Clarkson's Dave Taylor was "barely" drafted, having been the last choice in '74 (IIRC). In that same year, Tom Glavine was also drafted by the Kings in a much higher round.

He and Oates had many characteristics in common.

Date: November 03, 2005 01:15PM

The 2003 draft will probably turn out to be the best draft ever. Tons of great players in the first two rounds. Dion Phaneuf for Calgary may just be the best one. Think Scott Stevens with offensive ability. He is the best rookie in the NHL right now but you'll never hear about him because he plays in Calgary and his name isn't Crosby or Ovechkin. He is averaging 24 minutes a night (like 5 minutes more than any other rookie), and has been Calgary's best player so far this season. He was picked second to Crosby for CHL player of the year last year, getting a lot closer than many would have thought. Named top defenesman at the WJC the last two years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 01:16PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2005 03:54PM

Sasha will get to the NHL. How you can even mention him on the same website as Jessiman is beyond me.

Date: November 03, 2005 04:55PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Sasha will get to the NHL. How you can even mention him on the same website as Jessiman is beyond me.[/q]

Easily. If Pokuluk were 6'2, he would have been a mid-round pick. Same goes for Jessiman. I agree that Pokuluk will go to the NHL and I don't think Jessiman will make it but the point is that their draft positions were heavily inflated because of their respecitve sizes.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:03PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
If Pokuluk were 6'2, he would have been a mid-round pick.[/q]
I don't buy that for a minute. His size helped, but that's not what got him drafted high.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:56PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Sasha will get to the NHL. How you can even mention him on the same website as Jessiman is beyond me.[/q]

Well, we seem to do that here all the time, though mostly to praise Pokulok and blast Jessiman. :-D

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 07:18PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
If Pokuluk were 6'2, he would have been a mid-round pick.[/Q]
I don't buy that for a minute. His size helped, but that's not what got him drafted high.[/q]

I dunno, I think a lot of teams would have ignored him if he was a whole 3 inches shorter.

The hard shot, power play vision, and great positioning are moot if you are a poor 6'2" midget.

Date: November 05, 2005 08:42AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

I would think that this was tongue-in-cheek, but I don't see any smilies. While I hope that Pokulok has a successful NHL career if that is what he wants; as has been said, he would not have been a first-round draft choice if he were a few inches shorter. Even then, it was the Capitals who drafted him, and they are notorious for drafting poorly (almost as poorly as the Rangers :-D ).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login