Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

So, who is going to start the Cornell Hockey Podcast

Posted by jbeaber1998 
So, who is going to start the Cornell Hockey Podcast
Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: November 01, 2005 11:58AM

Having finally gotten myself an iPod, I'm totally into the Podcast thing. Who is going to start the Cornell hockey one? Voice your opinions? Could be fun! :)

Re: So, who is going to start the Cornell Hockey Podcast
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2005 11:59AM

Hmm. Interesting idea... With a good panel it could work.

Date: November 01, 2005 12:06PM

There already is an ECAC Hockey Podcast. Seems okay. Checking out as we speak...

Date: November 01, 2005 12:15PM

Okay, ECAC podcast is nothing but a scores recap thus far.... BORING!

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 12:53PM

What is this "podcast" you speak of?

- a sad, ipod-less Liz

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 06:13PM

I toyed with the idea a few months ago, but ultimately decided I couldn't do it alone. Someone suggested I should do the podcast with someone else. Age's idea of a panel would probably work even better.

Date: November 01, 2005 07:55PM

Who is brave enough to volunteer? I would love to but I unfortunately can't tell you the last time I was at Lynah (I think it was J.R.'s last college game EVER!).

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-195-78.myvzw.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:13PM

That's a great question.. I presented that same question to the All-Access people. I explained to them that I would subscribe to their service if they began to offer hockey as podcasts. I got the usual "I'll pass along your thoughts."

Posted by: JimHyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:55PM

Well, we could start with ELynah articles on podcast. We just have to find someone to read them in. Just think, I could be running along listening to last weekends rehash.B-]

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2005 11:51PM

INCH has a podcast...on their latest edition they talk about the MSU postgame "festivities" and suggest that Coach Schafer should get some sort of reprimand for his actions(pushing a player)rolleyes
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2005 11:51PM by redhair34.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 02, 2005 12:11AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

INCH has a podcast...on their latest edition they talk about the MSU postgame "festivities" and suggest that Coach Schafer should get some sort of reprimand for his actions(pushing a player)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/01/05 11:51PM by redhair34.[/q]

Acording to those guys MSU was nothing but an innocent victim. rolleyes

It's pretty clear that all of them where working off of hear say and didn't have any idea what really happened. They seemed to be under the impression that the entire cornell crowd was throwing things on the ice. Nor did they mention the bottle that was fired back into the crowd.

Date: November 02, 2005 12:16AM

[Q]evilnaturedrobot Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:

INCH has a podcast...on their latest edition they talk about the MSU postgame "festivities" and suggest that Coach Schafer should get some sort of reprimand for his actions(pushing a player)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/01/05 11:51PM by redhair34.[/Q]
Acording to those guys MSU was nothing but an innocent victim.

It's pretty clear that all of them where working off of hear say and didn't have any idea what really happened. They seemed to be under the impression that the entire cornell crowd was throwing things on the ice. Nor did they mention the bottle that was fired back into the crowd.
[/q]

exactly...I think I will properly inform them with an email, as objectively as I can.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 01:04PM

A podcast is a tape recording (so to speak) you download to your iPod or other music player.

With a radio, you listen to stuff in real time. If you're not listening when the announcer is speaking, you missed it.

With a podcast, you listen to stuff when you want to, not when it's broadcast. It's news, commentary. Some of it is repurposed, meaning it's a recording of a broadcast. In some cases it's created only as a podcast.

Sort of like an MP3 but it's not music. Or like a talking book.

One example would be podcasts of Ari's weekly eLynah columns. Rather than read him online, you'd listen to him.

Another would be a downloadable recording of the game broadcast. Something the powers that be will probably think about for a year or two to make sure this podcast thing has legs.

One reason for podcasts is convenience for users. Another is that you can for very low cost get the information in the hands of more people and maybe stick a commercial at the beginning and end as well.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 01:19PM

I think Liz was being ironically sarcastic, Bill.

Edit: but then again, maybe there are people reading this thread who don't know what a podcast is, so nevermind me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 01:30PM by RichH.

Date: November 02, 2005 01:43PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

I think Liz was being ironically sarcastic, Bill.

Edit: but then again, maybe there are people reading this thread who don't know what a podcast is, so nevermind me.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/02/05 01:30PM by RichH.[/q]

I actually had never heard of a podcast. blush Thanks, Bill, for the description...it's a lot what I thought it might be (especially as the conversation continued), but I did want confirmation.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 02:10PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

I actually had never heard of a podcast. Thanks, Bill, for the description...it's a lot what I thought it might be (especially as the conversation continued), but I did want confirmation.[/q]

My mistake. Like I said, nevermind me. BTW...I'm also iPod-less, and only know how podcasts work in theory.

Date: November 02, 2005 03:02PM

I had been listening to Podcasts long before I had an iPod. With iTunes you can access a ton of them. Not a bad thing, and iTunes updates them frequently. Slate.com reads one of their articles daily. A reading of Ari's article could be fun.

Date: November 02, 2005 03:19PM

Really? Well, I also don't have iTunes. Blame it on the old computer that ran Windows ME (I know, I know) and the music downloading programs that can't be run with that OS.

My brand-new computer has XP, though, so I may have to explore the world of podcasts.

So...if someone were to read Ari's article into podcast format, how do we make it accessable to interested parties? Put it up here? Give it to iTunes?

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 03:39PM

And most Podcasts are in some format compatible with other players (most are MP3). I usually listen on my Creative flash-based player -- just drag and drop out of iTunes). I've heard that the iPod can keep track of where you are in the Podcast if you switch away from it which would be nice, but otherwise other players work fine too.

(fwiw, I think Microsoft refers to them as "Blogcasts" -- wonder why ;-) )

LGR!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 05:07PM

[Q]jbeaber1998 Wrote:

A reading of Ari's article could be fun. [/q]

With all due respect and no offense to Ari, I think we can do better than that (i.e., something totally original).

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:59AM

Sounds like the ideal solution would be to have a weekly panel discussion abou the team. Include people like the WVBR radio announcer, one or two student / alumni "experts", and an occasional guest or two (coach, current/past players, web owners like Age, Greg or John, etc). Have a weekly radio show, record it and later release it as a podcast.

That being said, perhaps we need to sell the idea to WVBR. Do they have any non-gametime Cornell Hockey content?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: November 03, 2005 12:43PM

[Q]KenP Wrote:
That being said, perhaps we need to sell the idea to WVBR. Do they have any non-gametime Cornell Hockey content?
[/q]Well, they don't have any *gametime* Cornell Hockey content.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.mounet.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 05:34PM

FWIW, Adam Wodon (years before his brief stint as Voice of the Big Red) had what was basically a podcast (except it was streamed on demand rather than downloaded because disk space was scarce back then) with his weekly show "Around the Rinks" in 1997-1998.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 07:51AM

I'd greatly appreciate a podcast (or similar) of the game broadcasts. Living in Southern Italy means that a 7 pm start time on the East Coast is 1 am start time here - even with the late-night culture here, I'm usually a zombie by 11 pm on Friday nights!

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 09:26AM

Podcast = TiVo for radio, but better because you don't have to record it yourself, and some radio stations will record content for you that they didn't even air.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 09:43AM

[Q]RichH Wrote: I think Liz was being ironically sarcastic, Bill. Edit: but then again, maybe there are people reading this thread who don't know what a podcast is, so nevermind me.[/q]Me too. I paused before composing because I thought also that maybe she was being tongue-in-cheek -- how could one not hear of a Podcast, but in reality as technology/development/style moves forward so quickly, a whole group of people can be in the know and others are still coming to awareness. I was in Detroit in 2001 talking with some automakers and one senior mechanical systems guy told me his daughter kept talking about "this MP3 thing" and dad wanted to know, "does this MP3 thing have legs?" And that is why only now are you starting to see cars being able to play MP3 CDs with OEM equipment. You, ah, had some sense in 2001 that MP3 was going to have legs, I suspect. But shame on me: I was back a year ago and Corvette's design guy points to the bare frame and says, "We're especially proud of the ruggedness of the IP." "Cool, you've got wireless?" I asked, and about thirty mouths in unision said, "No, Instrument Panel," and you could hear the implied, "Instrument Panel [you jackass]." And somebody at East Hill Flying Club is thinking, Instructor Pilot.

A couple people I know describe their friends as being a "3-3-3 kind of guy." Meaning always hyper, in a hurry, the guy who pushes 3-3-3 to skip ahead 3 seconds in his voicemail.

There's some kid right now making a Christmas list with a Von Dutch cap at the top of her chart not knowing this was hot, what, two years ago, and even the knockoff Von Bitch caps are out. Unless they're so out they're back in.

Whoever starts the podcasts, be prepared for a time sink if you do it well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.mounet.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:10AM

[Q]Chris H82 Wrote:

I'd greatly appreciate a podcast (or similar) of the game broadcasts. Living in Southern Italy means that a 7 pm start time on the East Coast is 1 am start time here - even with the late-night culture here, I'm usually a zombie by 11 pm on Friday nights![/q]

Wuss. :-} I was at the office listening at 1am every Friday and Saturday night the two years I lived in Switzerland. (Often after going to a hockey game followed by a bar.)

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.pool8257.interbusiness.it)
Date: November 06, 2005 02:19AM

JTW - Yeah, it sounds lame, but between 10+ hours a day of work (crazy project to coordinate for my company) and 2.5 hours of commuting a day (the only school my wife and I could find that works for our kids is 130 km from my office, so guess who does the commute), so by Friday night I look like this- nut Oh well....

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 06:31PM

[Q]Chris H82 Wrote:

JTW - Yeah, it sounds lame, but between 10+ hours a day of work (crazy project to coordinate for my company) and 2.5 hours of commuting a day (the only school my wife and I could find that works for our kids is 130 km from my office, so guess who does the commute), so by Friday night I look like this- Oh well....[/q]

Wow. Maybe you can listen to the podcast on the train. ;-)

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:05PM

So, as it seems we will be getting podcasts of things in the Cornell hockey vein, I'll step up and ask the next stupid question....

I have an ipod. It's pink laugh I know what a pod cast is (at least in theory)...now what? Or to rephrase...how do I get the podcast onto the ipod so I can listen at work?

<bracing self for long winded responses>

Date: November 08, 2005 07:13PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

So, as it seems we will be getting podcasts of things in the Cornell hockey vein, I'll step up and ask the next stupid question....

I have an ipod. It's pink I know what a pod cast is (at least in theory)...now what? Or to rephrase...how do I get the podcast onto the ipod so I can listen at work?

<bracing self for long winded responses>[/q]

Judy,

If the WVBR podcasts are simply mp3 files that you can download from their homepage (I assume this is what they will do), all you need to do is download it and import it into your Itunes library. From there you can either listen to it or upload it to your ipod. If they do the podcast through the itunes music store, all you have to do is go to the store, search for the podcast and then "subscribe" to it. It will then download the podcast to your itunes. Click on "podcasts" on the left side of the screen and you can play it. Everytime there is a new one added Itunes will automatically download it for you when you start Itunes.

Rob

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:45PM

Judy,

I have iTunes set up as a manual update so I can choose what goes onto my iPod. That way, let's say you download a podcast and listen to it on your computer, but don't want to have it automatically taking up space on your ipod -- it gives you more control.

Plus, if you delete stuff from your iTunes but still want it on your iPod, you don't have to worry about it being automatically deleted. I did this with a couple of CDs that I put on the iPod, but didn't want to take up space on my computer.

Date: November 08, 2005 09:58PM

Setting to manual update - first thing I did to iTunes. I'm a bit of a control freak :-P

I've just never dealt with podcasts before. Heard about them...never really 'interacted' with one.

Date: December 07, 2005 11:26PM

So...I thought we were going to get some podcasts going...
Need something to listen to at work to keep me from strangling people.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 12:56AM

Does the thought of the people on this forum having more of a 'forum' to voice their opinions frighten anyone else?:-/

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 11:01PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote: Does the thought of the people on this forum having more of a 'forum' to voice their opinions frighten anyone else? [/q]Podcasts would be a mixed blessing. When the devil's hands*are busy creating podcasts (and it's a big time sink to do it, an even bigger time sink to do it well), they're not doing anything else, like airing more opinions.

* NJ haters note it's not the "Devils' hands" referred to here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login