Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

hockey line forming

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hockey line forming
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:10PM

Sec A entrance to Lynah. emails just went out, Gene announced on VBR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2005 10:11PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Re: hockey line forming
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:14PM

Let the stampede begin. :-O

Date: September 26, 2005 10:19PM

Numbered wrist bands this year. Not a bad idea, but branding would have worked too.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:23PM

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Of course, if you're reading this you're either too old, too far away, or too late (just kidding).

LGR.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:28PM

Or already have your season tickets. :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:56PM

You had to rub it in, didn't you...:-P

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:56PM

Report from a grad student I know: Within 20 minutes of the line announcement, they had processed 850 people.

Date: September 26, 2005 11:03PM

If you had any idea how much we pay for seats in Section C, after paying $45 for the privilege of buying them in the first place, you wouldn't have the slighest jealous bone in your body.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

It's over
Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:09PM

Yeah, its all over...from what I have been told, the line was out of control, people were coming in from all sides, there was no line and it was generally ugly. Sounds as if copious amounts of facetimers could be making an appearance in Lynah this year yark

Posted by: nymanisadouchebag (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:10PM

after hearing the VBR broadcast, I was outside section A in maybe 7 minutes of driving/walking; a giant, sweaty mass of people had formed at the bottom of the stairs. The line then went through lynah, into bartels and finally the ramin room. the wristband idea seems like a positive improvement, but my personal opinion is that "section A" as a location is possibly the stupidest i have seen or heard of. The stairs going into lynah allow for little or no natural crowd control. moreover, the CUPD jumped on the opportunity to tow as many cars as humanly possible. in short, a joke, but thats nothing new.

Posted by: homesickalien (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:24PM

terrible, terrible job

those who were waiting in the line down the street got terrible numbers or didnt get any at all, and the best line numbers were given to the people who pushed through and cut.

awful display

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:32PM

I've gotta say that was the least safe environment I have ever seen up close. There was a mob of over 1000 people right outside the doors and there was literally no way to move or breathe. When they finally opened the door after a couple minutes, it actually got worse. It was like being caught in the worst series of waves where you have absolutely no control of your footing or balance. You just had to hope you would be pushed in the right direction. The most telling part of it was that I was there with three buddies and we all got numbers in different 100's. I sort of was pushed in the right direction and got #545 which would hopefully put me in A. Regardless, I'll be trying to trade up to hopefully get back in B for a third straight year.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:42PM

The line was a complete mess, I was at the other side of bartels when it was announced a swarms of ppl were already there when I got there. There was no crowd controll what so ever outside of lynah. Ppl were shoving there way up the line. By the time the doors opened there was probably 800+ students in a semicircle around the entrance with everyone pushing to be the first one in.
In general this was not a line but rather a mob at Lynah. So far I have not talked to many ppl that have friends with line numbers close since everyone got lost in the mob. I was lucky enough to get line number 320, but several friends right behind me got in the 700s+ and some got under the 100s. This was a joke process by the Atheltics and the school and they should serious think about changing it.
Sorry for my little rant but I think this was well deserve. I personally want to see the school to cut all this dont hurt the academics crap and just have a message in August telling when and where tickets will be sold and let ppl line up whenever, and have a rule similar to Dukes Bball. One person has to be in your spot at all times, besides that you are fine.

The pushing and shoving was out of control and for some reason on my side it seemed to help since I got a higher number then I thought I was going to get
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2005 11:43PM by TCHL8842.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:44PM

Agreed, absolute disgrace on every level. I actually thought last year's was really good and the crowd control was helped a lot by 1) the weird location and 2) the fact that one number got two tickets meaning there was less than half as many people

Posted by: bjybjy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:46PM

We got there a bit later than average due to not being able to wait on campus everynight for the annoucement to go out. When we got there there were probably three hundred people in front of us.

It seemed like no matter how many people showed up after us, the line didn't grow behind us. Cutting was rampant. Half way through the police decided that the best way of fighting people pushing forward was to have the front of the line push back. They didn't make this clear to the back of the line, so the front of the line smashed into the people in the middle that had no place to go. A girl ended up getting injured and EMS was called.

At this point the police basically cut the line in two and physically forced the people around the girl to move back. Now all of a sudden the people that were nearest to the girl but in front of her were towards the front of the line, while those who had been just a few spots away (my group) were forced all the way to the back of the line.

At this point instead of 300 or less people in front of us, I'd say 400 or 500 were in front of us, and like 4 people behind us. Then at least two or three times the Lynah red shirt staff guy "Scott" decided that our section was too close to the front and pushed us back again. My group was literally pushed to the end of the line four times, and we were being very calm and attempting to follow all rules. Guess what! We don't have tickets but people that got there after us certainly did.

I don't want to sound like a whiney bitch, but come on... I've been a LOUD lynah faithful member for 4 years and this was the worst line setup in that time. It was like the athletic ticket office was surprised that 2000 people showed up all at once, again.

A silenced Lynah Faithful.

Tad

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:49PM

This was absolutelly terrible. For one thing, some people clearly knew before the announcement on the radio. We were in the car in front of Mudd Hall and saw people sprinting past us but couldn't follow because we didn't know where to go. Had to wait for the announcement. Sprinted over to A in like 30 seconds but were already at the bottom of the stairs. Made the mistake of being orderly and staying in the natural line up the stairs. I know of people who jogged in from C-town, cut up the slope in front of the stairs and got 400 places in front of us.

I think it's clear that Athletics gave themselves away before the announcement. Considering how many people were all around Lynah there was a line before the announcement.

Gene should be dragged out on the street and shot.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:53PM

Wow, some of the clowns that got high numbers make me want to throw up. Section B may actually need a training class to learn cheers. I hate Freshmen, and the fat bitch that elbowed me in the neck. For shame, Gene Nighman, FOR SHAME!

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:57PM

Yeah, agree with everything people have said.

This is my first time posting here but the display tonight warrants it. I came with a pretty big group and we're all evenly spaced from #40 to #1300. The doors outside Section A were an absolute disgrace. My friends are all bruised and when we finally left the Ramin room there were 5 or 6 people on the curb outside of Lynah waiting for an ambulance. Much more unsafe than the cars charging through that parking lot last year, which also scared me.

Once inside, things were calmer and the wristband system worked. If they had been prepared for the people rushing the Section A doors, things would have been calm. Instead, they took 10 minutes to even open the doors, letting the crowd swell around it and then it took another 10 minutes for the cops to get there and make any semblance of order.

Athletics is really going to hear it this year and they did a pretty good job of messing up the Lynah atmosphere. I've been in B both of my two years here and I'm #516 this year- probably will end up with a block in D. I knew things were screwed when I saw Ari 40 spots behind me.

VBR also did a good job tonight, for what its worth.

I'm off to write my email to Athletics and Gene. Hope everyone gets tickets and gets back safe.

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:02AM

[Q] For one thing, some people clearly knew before the announcement on the radio [/Q]

We were waiting outside Bartels for anything when the ushers entered the building and kicked students out. Then cop cars came by and barricaded the streets (a smart idea at least) and cleared people from Lynah. There were about 500 people at the front entrance to Bartels until someone started sprinting towards the football field. Needless to say, 95% of the crowd went with him. They realized nothing was going on and got back to the entrance of Bartels just as Gene was getting on the air. Then that whole crowd started sprinting to Section A as soon as it was announced.

Nobody was at the Section A doors prior to the radio announcement so I doubt it leaked. But people undoubtedly called their friends when they saw the ushers which gave groups a good 5-10 minutes to get to Bartels.

I hope that made sense.

Date: September 27, 2005 12:03AM

I really dont agree with the line before he announced it. About 1000+ ppl ran from all round campus around Barton, and then the announce came and those 1000 ppl ran back up to Lynah. I had some ppl get lucky and get close to the front, but I think this

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:08AM

This was ridiculous. The only place they couldn't have made the line start should have been the EXACT EPICENTER of where hundreds of people were waiting. There was no funnel to make a line, there was no police control. It was very poorly thought out. I was on the right hand side of the line by the metal guardrail and there was a girl literally being crushed between the mob and the rail. A guy pulled her over after they got space, and she was crying.

Nobody got tickets near their friends. I thought the idea of this place was to let the most worthy fans get the best sections- it instead resulted in the people who most cut getting the best numbers. I hope many of us from B last year end up in D or worse and teach those kids there how to cheer- the people who got into B probably won't.

Posted by: bhe2 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:14AM

Section D is the new B :-D

Date: September 27, 2005 12:14AM

Like we haven't heard that before.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:16AM

I can attest that nobody was really standing around the section A doors. My group was lucky enough to be hanging out in the parking lot, and yes, we did see the ushers go in, and Dave come out, but we still didn't move. And we didn't see anyone really mob toward the door until the announcement was actually made.

As soon as the announcement was made, it was sheer insanity. Most of the people in my group were on the steps right in front of the door. The way people mobbed around the door made it so that people in between the two railings were carried in through the doors, and people who were unlucky enough to be on the other sides of the railings were stuck and couldn't really get in. The numbers in my group ranged from 5 to in the 270s, and we were all at least on the steps before the doors were opened.

I don't think very many people got away without some sort of injury. Since I'm very small I was litterally pushed up and carried through the door into Lynah, and there was nothing I could do. One of the scariest experiences of my life.

I'm sure we'll hear many, many more horror stories.

Badly done, badly done.

Posted by: canuck15 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:20AM

I was on the right side of the door, by the rail, and I also saw people getting crushed. I, being a less than well-built male, found it hard to breathe at times. I had to stand on top of a bush in order to clear some room. Luckily, a man to my right helped keep people from pushing forward and making the situation worse. Seriously, even though I have a good number, I am disgusted by all the facetimers around me who do not even care about their fellow faithful. Cornell athletics clearly did not think about our safety; otherwise, it would not have taken cops 15 minutes to arrive outside the doors.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:22AM

Agreed, there were way too many people who managed to be complete arses and push and weave their way through toward the front, making it even worse for everyone and harder to breath.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:38AM

This concept of surprising everyone has gotten absurd. I understand that they want to make it fair to people who choose to stay in class all week. As I understand, that was the problem with the scheduled Friday line format. But the problems that have arisen by changing it far outway the problems that existed with that system. If I had it my way, I would schedule the line formation for 4pm like they used to, let the line form whenever it does (be it Tuesday night or Friday morning, something they did not allow), and choose a weekend before prelims begin.

Tonight's exhibition also showed a complete lack of understanding by the ticket office as to the demand for these tickets. Is anyone reading this surprised that 2000+ people showed up tonight? I am pretty sure that the ticket office did not, or if they did, they have no idea how to manage an event of this magnitude. Ten police officers may have been there... to manage thousands of people? Why is there not a roped entry way? Or an entryway that is not on a staircase, at least?

Whatever the problems of the old line system, I do not remember people getting hurt. Does anyone else?

Posted by: Alex (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:41AM

How much do you pay for section c, out of curiousity?

Date: September 27, 2005 12:43AM

Oh yeah, and one ticket per person is supposed alleviate what exactly?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:46AM

[Q]mtmack25 Wrote:

Oh yeah, and one ticket per person is supposed alleviate what exactly?[/q]

It's supposed to better satisfy high demand.

Great job. rolleyes

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:48AM

[Q]mtmack25 Wrote:

This concept of surprising everyone has gotten absurd. I understand that they want to make it fair to people who choose to stay in class all week. As I understand, that was the problem with the scheduled Friday line format. But the problems that have arisen by changing it far outway the problems that existed with that system. If I had it my way, I would schedule the line formation for 4pm like they used to, let the line form whenever it does (be it Tuesday night or Friday morning, something they did not allow), and choose a weekend before prelims begin.

Tonight's exhibition also showed a complete lack of understanding by the ticket office as to the demand for these tickets. Is anyone reading this surprised that 2000+ people showed up tonight? I am pretty sure that the ticket office did not, or if they did, they have no idea how to manage an event of this magnitude. Ten police officers may have been there... to manage thousands of people? Why is there not a roped entry way? Or an entryway that is not on a staircase, at least?

Whatever the problems of the old line system, I do not remember people getting hurt. Does anyone else?[/q]

Tell people that tickets go on sale Sunday evening, let the line form mostly over the weekend, and get everyone out of there by Monday morning.

And no, I'm not at all surprised by the number of people that came. I want to see their plan for this so I can rip it apart. They clearly did not think this through.

Date: September 27, 2005 12:49AM

The thing that really pisses me off right now after I got the number is that each person can hold up to 4 line numbers for line checks. What the hell is this, if they are going to go through the trouble having each line number per person at least make everyone show up for their damn line checks. The administration just does not make any sense at all. They allow 100s of facetimers to get tickets, screw over the faithful, caused injury and seriously probably pissed off over 1000 ppl in the process. Good going Cornell for the ppl that got line numbers I will see you in Ramin Room this weekend, hopefully they can at least get this right.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:49AM

[Q]Alex Wrote:

How much do you pay for section c, out of curiousity?[/q]

[elf.elynah.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: September 27, 2005 12:50AM

It seems athletics will never realize they have to put a little more resources into this procedure. They'd never pay for people to watch a form-when-you-want line, they were never able to enforce the old starts-at-4pm-friday line, and here they didn't have people to ensure an actual line formed after the announcement, and not a mob.

Date: September 27, 2005 12:52AM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

The thing that really pisses me off right now after I got the number is that each person can hold up to 4 line numbers for line checks. What the hell is this, if they are going to go through the trouble having each line number per person at least make everyone show up for their damn line checks. The administration just does not make any sense at all. They allow 100s of facetimers to get tickets, screw over the faithful, caused injury and seriously probably pissed off over 1000 ppl in the process. Good going Cornell for the ppl that got line numbers I will see you in Ramin Room this weekend, hopefully they can at least get this right.[/q]

Sadly the camping out has become a facetiming thing to do, hijacked by those in charge, and not what it should be, which is simply people staying there as long as they can to gaurantee as good seats as possible.

Posted by: Alex (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:53AM

I'd just like to say that I have been on the opposite side of Lynah the past two years, Sections F and G, and there are plenty of people who know how to cheer there. B has the advantage of proximity to the band, which gives them their cues, but otherwise I think that every year for the first several games people are pretty bad. Personally I think that the best place for leading cheers is up in F, where your voice acoustically can carry to the most fellow faithful to respond. Also, if you recall, last year the Red scored most of their points in the 2nd period when the opposing goal is towards F and G. Basically I think that anywhere in Lynah is a great seat, so if you get seats you are golden.

Date: September 27, 2005 01:02AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

It seems athletics will never realize they have to put a little more resources into this procedure. They'd never pay for people to watch a form-when-you-want line, they were never able to enforce the old starts-at-4pm-friday line, and here they didn't have people to ensure an actual line formed after the announcement, and not a mob.[/q]

Actually, I would wager that they fully realize the best way to reward the best fans, but are unable and/or unwilling to devote the necessary money/resources (e.g., paying the Athletics employees, paying the CUPD as necessary, probably liability as well). This is probably the best system they can implement given the circumstances in or out of their control; however, they chose a truly poor location in which to execute the system.

A got screwed over in the line t-shirt?
Posted by: TSB '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:13AM

Maybe someone should make a shift with "Lynah Faithful absent" in front and a "I got screwed over in the line" in the back as a parody of last year's t-shirt.

Then again, it may be that I'm just a bit bitter right now...

Date: September 27, 2005 01:19AM

I like the idea. Anyone with a spare photo of Gene Nighman?

Posted by: Matt '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:24AM

After being a member of the Big Red Pep Band for 3 years, I decided to instead go for season tickets so I can enjoy all of the games my senior year. I got line number 1120, and trust me when I say that wherever I sit I know all the cheers, songs, etc. I'm ecstatic to even get a line number.

[Q]The thing that really pisses me off right now after I got the number is that each person can hold up to 4 line numbers for line checks. What the hell is this, if they are going to go through the trouble having each line number per person at least make everyone show up for their damn line checks.[/Q]

You have to realize that there are people this weekend that have to do things that cannot be rescheduled - taking the LSAT on saturday for example. I'm taking the GREs on Friday and have to drive an hour away, and there is no way that I can get back by 6.

Posted by: bigREDwings (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:54AM

first time poster, long time troll

what a mess. i listened to vbr in my studio in kennedy, sprinted and arrived at the mob within two minutes. no organization, no safety, and no effort to weed out the facetimer. after pushing and getting pushed in the mud at the bottom of the stairs for 40 minutes, i got through inside. i'm fourth on the waiting list, which is as good as nothing. michigan now has the best fan section. the faithful will have no unity, no one will know the cheers, and the stands will be half empty most of the time. a lot of my older friends who have had tickets every year didn't get a number either. it's all a joke. at least now i have money to spend on nhl center ice.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:13AM

Why don't you take it a bit further and say that tickets will go on sale at 9:00 AM on Tuesday, October 11th? It's during fall break, so you won't have to worry about missing classes to go camp out, and it can also be a real line. Once you show up at Athletics, you stay there. You move, you get bumped out of line.

It may be a good idea, it may not be, but it's sure as hell a lot better than what just happened tonight.

Date: September 27, 2005 03:21AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:

It seems athletics will never realize they have to put a little more resources into this procedure. They'd never pay for people to watch a form-when-you-want line, they were never able to enforce the old starts-at-4pm-friday line, and here they didn't have people to ensure an actual line formed after the announcement, and not a mob.[/Q]
Actually, I would wager that they fully realize the best way to reward the best fans, but are unable and/or unwilling to devote the necessary money/resources (e.g., paying the Athletics employees, paying the CUPD as necessary, probably liability as well). This is probably the best system they can implement given the circumstances in or out of their control; however, they chose a truly poor location in which to execute the system.[/q]

That's a better way of putting it, they know what it'll take but will never do it.

In theory (having graduated in '04) it seems this method is the best way other than the obvious let-people-line-up-whenever-they-want choice. However, they still need to do work; specifically, it seems, when the line is announced, they need to ensure that there is a line and not a random mob. Otherwise, they're right back to where the old (pre '04) method was at 3:30 on Friday afternoon.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:31AM

In the real world, there's a concept called "accountability". I wonder if we'll finally see that here.

Right.

Posted by: ithacat (---.lightlink.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 07:23AM

I'm not jealous (I have season seats as well); I was just making a joke.

How much did you pay for C-seats?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 07:56AM

In the real world there is a concept called lawsuits.

If anyone did actually get injured, find a good lawyer and sue the Athletics Department, the University, and Gene Nighman. If they realize that the cost of doing it wrong far exceeds the cost of doing it right, there may be some incentive to change.

It is, after all, about the almighty greenback.

Posted by: Cisco (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:14AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

In the real world there is a concept called lawsuits. ...

It is, after all, about the almighty greenback.[/q]

Umm... no actually it is not about the money.

If Cornell were a truely financially motivated group, they would simply institue price rationing. Obviously, demand far outstrips supply here - so they could merely raise prices. I wager they could fetch around 500.00 for season tickets without risking any empty seats.

Obviously, the trick here is to find a system that accomplishes their goals. Most fans want that goal to be rewarding the most faithful fans. I think Cornell Athletic's goal is more like, "make it be a fair chance for any student to get tickets." It's gotten so bad, why not just institute a lottery? Then students would be even more upset.

Also, to all those people who think that cheering will be messed up - I think you far underestimate all the non-section B fans. They are dedicated and learn cheers as well. This years cheering will not be very different from last year - though Section B might not stand out as well.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:58AM

People are also making the assumption that the aggressive line cutters are the facetimers. It may be that they are the most dedicated student fans.

Doug Murray would have cut. :-D

The solution to this seems blindingly obvious to me. Make the entire student area general admission. Open the doors 4 hours before game time -- a market-driven solution, in which time is money.

Date: September 27, 2005 11:16AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

People are also making the assumption that the aggressive line cutters are the facetimers. It may be that they are the most dedicated student fans.

Doug Murray would have cut.

The solution to this seems blindingly obvious to me. Make the entire student area general admission. Open the doors 4 hours before game time -- a market-driven solution, in which time is money.[/q]

But then people would have to *skip class* to get in line on Friday!!

And they would have to pay (if they are paid) ushers 4 more hours. I'm sure some of those ushers have day jobs.

I think making tickets general admission is a good idea, but not for distribution. Say that tickets are sold 8pm on Sunday and make the announcement where at 4pm on Friday. Have police monitor the line. Even if facetimers manage to get some tickets through this system, making their tickets GA and opening the doors a couple hours before gametime would put them in the least desirable student seats. Knowing that all tickets are GA would also cut down on the stampede for the initial ticket distribution.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:19AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:
But then people would have to *skip class* to get in line on Friday.[/q]

Exactly. Opportunity cost.

No ushers. Laissez faire. It works so well in the other aspects of our republic.

Posted by: canuck26 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:32AM

Though we all know that this system did not work (at the very least, they should have been given out Saturday to eliminate facetimers), we now have section Bers all over to coordinate cheers. Last year the cheers were weak in the other sections (I was a freshman in D); however, I also look forward to teaching all the pushers in B with me how to cheer correctly. Let's make Lynah more than just section B, and have the entire student section voice their support.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:57AM

[Q]Cisco Wrote:
Obviously, the trick here is to find a system that accomplishes their goals. Most fans want that goal to be rewarding the most faithful fans. I think Cornell Athletic's goal is more like, "make it be a fair chance for any student to get tickets." It's gotten so bad, why not just institute a lottery? Then students would be even more upset. [/q]If that's what they want, they could just as easily go back to the system that was in place when I was buying student tickets, where order forms were sent to every student at some point over the summer, you mailed them back as soon as you could, and everyone got assigned a line number (which I think was good for up to two tickets). You could group together as many line numbers as you wanted with the priority of the worst line number. Very orderly, quite random. (Arguably not a whole lot more random than what was described last night, much more orderly, and I'm sure nobody ever had to call EMS as a result of that process.)

Date: September 27, 2005 12:21PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:
But then people would have to *skip class* to get in line on Friday!![/q]

Don't you know true Faithful don't schedule class on Fridays? It inhibits their ability to get to away games :-P

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:21PM

The lottery was also weighted so that the longer you had been at cornell (i.e. matriculation date), the better number you got. And, I believe you could get up to four tickets. There was one year (1997-1998??, 6th or 7th year of grad school), that i had #2 and was able to get 3 tickets. Ironically, the person ahead of me wanted the *exact* same seats i wanted... Section D, row 11 seats 1-3. (We love the band, but just didn't want that close in section B).

I know how everyone is in favor of a line - sleep out for days. But as a grad student with two dependents (a dog and a thesis project that requires being in the lab doing experiments), I would not have been able to do that.

For those of you shut out of tickets... come to the everblades tourney in december... PLENTY of good seats available.

Rita

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:27PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

The solution to this seems blindingly obvious to me. Make the entire student area general admission. Open the doors 4 hours before game time -- a market-driven solution, in which time is money.[/Q]
But then people would have to *skip class* to get in line on Friday!!

And they would have to pay (if they are paid) ushers 4 more hours. I'm sure some of those ushers have day jobs.

I think making tickets general admission is a good idea, but not for distribution. Say that tickets are sold 8pm on Sunday and make the announcement where at 4pm on Friday. Have police monitor the line. Even if facetimers manage to get some tickets through this system, making their tickets GA and opening the doors a couple hours before gametime would put them in the least desirable student seats. Knowing that all tickets are GA would also cut down on the stampede for the initial ticket distribution.[/q]

You'd then have a mini-version of this every weekend, with the need to monitor the line, etc. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

There's a lot to be angry about this year. I suspect we can't expect athletics ever to get this right. Fortunately no one was badly maimed or worse, which isn't unthinkable. There's plenty of precedent for precisely that happening in these situations, most notably the Hillsborough disaster in 1989:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Take a look at the last two paragraphs in the above link:

"Some fans have said bad ticket allocation contributed to the disaster.

"Liverpool has far more supporters than Nottingham Forest but were given 6,000 fewer tickets and allocated the smaller Leppings Lane stand."

There are less fair and more fair ways to distribute tickets, but batting these ideas around ignores the fact that we're looking at a bear trying to figure out how to fit into a rabbit warren. There's really only one long-term, satisfactory solution to this. It's an unpopular one with a lot of the Lynah faithful, but when students are risking injury to get tickets, I think a line has been crossed that makes this the only realistic solution.

Hint: For those of you who went to Minnesota last spring, how'd you like their rink?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:38PM

Well, while I'd love to, I had time to spare, not plane and hotel fare.

Date: September 27, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
Hint: For those of you who went to Minnesota last spring, how'd you like their rink?
[/q]

I know what you're getting at, but I like Lynah better. Besides the obvious pro-Cornell aspect of Lynah that isn't seen at Mariucci, and the fact that we probably couldn't get 10000 fans into Ithaca on that regular a basis, I like my seats above the glass and close to the ice. It's kinda hard to do that in most modern rinks. It took me a really long time to adjust, and even then I felt miles away from a lot of the action. (It didn't help that the play was often on the other end of the rink.) They had a really nice concourse, though - plenty of space to walk around and very little of the crowding you see at Lynah between periods/at the end of the game.

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:55PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
...I'm sure nobody ever had to call EMS as a result of that process.[/q]

Ow! Paper cut!

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:01PM

10K is an obvious stretch, but it would be interesting to know how many students actually showed up for the stampede. If athletics actually passed out a number to each of the students who showed, regardless of Lynah's capacity, it would be a good way to measure the potential student fanbase/market for tickets that could then be used for some intelligent planning, for a change.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]canuck26 Wrote:

Though we all know that this system did not work (at the very least, they should have been given out Saturday to eliminate facetimers), we now have section Bers all over to coordinate cheers. Last year the cheers were weak in the other sections (I was a freshman in D); however, I also look forward to teaching all the pushers in B with me how to cheer correctly. Let's make Lynah more than just section B, and have the entire student section voice their support.[/q]

The sentiment and spirit (of coordinating and passing down cheers) should remain, but just be careful about how you're perceived. There's nothing more offensive to a fan than another fan who think it's his domain to "teach" others how to "cheer correctly."

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.eas.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:10PM

The first thing I would like to know is at what point this ever sounded like a good idea to Nighman when they were deciding on a line location. There was no safe way to cram thousands of people through that doorway without some sort of funneling of a line. I was in Boston last year when the Sox won the Series and it was like a wine and cheese party compared to that "line" last night. The cops didn't arrive until well after the mob formed and once they were there they didn't do a whole lot to help the situation. In fact they actually stopped everyone, except those coming from the middle, from moving at all. Needless to say, I was cut off from my friends, who are up to 600 line numbers away now. I'm pretty sure the first paragraph of our line numbers sheet states that this process was to help friends sit together, oops. Not to mention the email also states cutting or disruptive behavoir would result in your not getting a line number, good thing they had people there to watch out for that.

Two years ago the line resembled the old way of camping out for a week. Yes, there was cutting, but nothing to the extent I saw last night. Last year was a random location with poorly explained rules, but at least there was no cutting, shoving, etc. There was an orderly aspect to last years line numbers, this job seemed thrown together. You almost would think any location would have been better than a single door leading into the rink. The ticket office took a giant step backwards this year. bang

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:24PM

The police were not notified in advance of when or where the line was set to take place because the ticket office did not want the information leaked. Dumb. The staff for the "event," including those taking your ID information once you got an armband were also not notified terribly far in advance for the same reason, resulting in them having to set tables up themselves right as people were streaming into line and the ensuing clusterf---. Also dumb. Clearly the priority for this event was on secrecy and not on common sense.

In Gene's favor, I have heard that it is possible the mode of operation for this mess was not his idea, though on the other hand he had ultimate control over whether it would happen this way or not and could have vetoed it. In any case he will inevitably take the fall for how badly it turned out, whether or not he deserves to.

Date: September 27, 2005 02:43PM

[Q]oceanst41 Wrote:

Two years ago the line resembled the old way of camping out for a week. Yes, there was cutting, but nothing to the extent I saw last night. Last year was a random location with poorly explained rules, but at least there was no cutting, shoving, etc. There was an orderly aspect to last years line numbers, this job seemed thrown together. You almost would think any location would have been better than a single door leading into the rink. The ticket office took a giant step backwards this year. [/q]

The problem with two years ago is while it resembled camping out for a week, techinically it wasn't, and they kept breaking up lines until it got to big for them to break up, and those who took it at face value that no line would form before 4 arrived to an 800 person line. The problem was that it simply makes no sense to let people know where the line is but tell them they can't line up until a certain time. There are two things you can do to fix that: a) dont tell people when they can start lining up or b) dont tell people where the line is until you want it to be started. They'll never go for A, or else they would have by now. It seems that B, this year and last year, has the potential to be better than the pre-04 line, but they have to put effort into it to get it right. Specifically, when the line forms, they have to ensure it becomes an actual line, not a mob.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:50PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

Well, while I'd love to, I had time to spare, not plane and hotel fare.[/q]

Two words: road trip
nut ;-)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 02:55PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:00PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

oceanst41 Wrote:

Two years ago the line resembled the old way of camping out for a week. Yes, there was cutting, but nothing to the extent I saw last night. Last year was a random location with poorly explained rules, but at least there was no cutting, shoving, etc. There was an orderly aspect to last years line numbers, this job seemed thrown together. You almost would think any location would have been better than a single door leading into the rink. The ticket office took a giant step backwards this year. [/Q]
The problem with two years ago is while it resembled camping out for a week, techinically it wasn't, and they kept breaking up lines until it got to big for them to break up, and those who took it at face value that no line would form before 4 arrived to an 800 person line. The problem was that it simply makes no sense to let people know where the line is but tell them they can't line up until a certain time. There are two things you can do to fix that: a) dont tell people when they can start lining up or b) dont tell people where the line is until you want it to be started. They'll never go for A, or else they would have by now. It seems that B, this year and last year, has the potential to be better than the pre-04 line, but they have to put effort into it to get it right. Specifically, when the line forms, they have to ensure it becomes an actual line, not a mob.[/q]

It seems to me that this could be easily solved by eliminating the first press release. If they just announce the location of the line without saying they will announce it on a specific day, the news will get out to the majority of people a lot more slowly. Yes, this system might end up being called "unfair" but it really isn't. Everyone has the same ability to check the website every day. Some people are actually crazy enough to check it every hour every day once the time is approaching. This would actually reward the biggest fans which at some point in this process was actually supposed to be the goal.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:25PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

It seems to me that this could be easily solved by eliminating the first press release. If they just announce the location of the line without saying they will announce it on a specific day, the news will get out to the majority of people a lot more slowly. Yes, this system might end up being called "unfair" but it really isn't. Everyone has the same ability to check the website every day. Some people are actually crazy enough to check it every hour every day once the time is approaching. This would actually reward the biggest fans which at some point in this process was actually supposed to be the goal.[/q]

Sorry, it would never fly. Too logical.

Nighman's Law states that every announcement must have an equal and utterly pointless pre-announcement, to signal the coming of the announcement.

(Oh, and bonus points if said pre-announcement increases the possibility of EMS and ambulance involvment.)

Posted by: bjybjy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:26PM

Or instead of saying line numbers will be given away sometime this week, just say that there will be an announcement sometime in September. This would likely prevent the 'preline like' groups forming all over campus and waiting out each night. Not all of the faithful had the free time during a prelim week to sit around Lynah waiting for the call to go out. Either say no preline and enforce it, or allow a preline. Don't do this middle ground that allows for this crazy mob to build.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:30PM

Just use the website. Give out the numbers online, giving a number and a password for each valid ID, and give that person some small amount of time (1 or 2 hrs) to report to the camp out location.

I also liked the early '80s approach of separate numbers for grads, seniors, juniors, and the rest. This was done by matriculation date (really ID sequence number) , so only grad students that were Cornell undergrads were at the head of the list.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:33PM

Just curious:
How many people have written / are writing letters to the Daily Sun? Seems like a public outcry about the retardedness of this year's scheme would be the first step to getting something rational to happen next year.

They're lucky nobody died. Seriously.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:39PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Just curious:
How many people have written / are writing letters to the Daily Sun? Seems like a public outcry about the retardedness of this year's scheme would be the first step to getting something rational to happen next year.

They're lucky nobody died. Seriously.[/q]

Want to get real attention? CC it to the office of the president. Although, if you do so, just realize that this easily could result in going back to the lottery system that Schafer abolished after 99 (my freshman year). Of course, at least that rewarded seniority. While a good line, or even a mediocre line, is better than a lottery. A lottery that at least rewards seniority (if not fandom, preferably both) may be better than a bloody, random mob.

Date: September 27, 2005 03:42PM

From what I understand, the official athletics policy on hate mail for this debacle is "do not respond, simply forward on to Anita Brenner." Based on my previous experiences with Anita, this translates to: No attention will be given to your complaints. At all.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:44PM

I think sending letters to the Sun won't serve much of a purpous. I plan on sending letters to much of the Athletic department, Schafer, the president, etc. Schafer has made it clear that he wants the most deserving fans to get tickets--I think the more he hears from us that this isn't happening the more likely he will try to use whatever pull he has regarding the ticket process to ensure the process is improved next year.

Date: September 27, 2005 03:58PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

I think sending letters to the Sun won't serve much of a purpous. I plan on sending letters to much of the Athletic department, Schafer, the president, etc. Schafer has made it clear that he wants the most deserving fans to get tickets--I think the more he hears from us that this isn't happening the more likely he will try to use whatever pull he has regarding the ticket process to ensure the process is improved next year. [/q]
I agree that trying to get Schafer involved is the best way to effect real change. Whether he'll go along is a different story, but I hope so.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.254.adsl.snet.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:20PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

From what I understand, the official athletics policy on hate mail for this debacle is "do not respond, simply forward on to Anita Brenner." Based on my previous experiences with Anita, this translates to: No attention will be given to your complaints. At all.[/q]

But that won't stop her from jumping to wild conclusions and complaining to you and expecting results.

My experiences with her were all take and no give on her behalf. Par for the course with cornell athletics administrators.

Date: September 27, 2005 04:37PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

From what I understand, the official athletics policy on hate mail for this debacle is "do not respond, simply forward on to Anita Brenner." Based on my previous experiences with Anita, this translates to: No attention will be given to your complaints. At all.[/Q]
But that won't stop her from jumping to wild conclusions and complaining to you and expecting results.

My experiences with her were all take and no give on her behalf. Par for the course with cornell athletics administrators. [/q]
I hear this all stems from their utterly inept HR department, and Andy Noel's tendency to play favorites with fellow wrestlers at the expense of competent staff.

Re: A got screwed over in the line t-shirt?
Posted by: Free11Skier (205.232.75.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:49PM

"Section B in exile" on the front with "Fire Gene Nighman" on the back

MAE '08

Date: September 27, 2005 05:06PM

[Q]bjybjy Wrote:

Or instead of saying line numbers will be given away sometime this week, just say that there will be an announcement sometime in September. This would likely prevent the 'preline like' groups forming all over campus and waiting out each night. Not all of the faithful had the free time during a prelim week to sit around Lynah waiting for the call to go out. Either say no preline and enforce it, or allow a preline. Don't do this middle ground that allows for this crazy mob to build.[/q]

The idea of a less permeating knowledge of the announcement seems like a good idea. From what I've seen on the board, it seems they were way overadvertising everything, making it too easy for passive fans to get involved. Give a larger time period so only the hardcore fans are prepared the whole time, limit the sources of the announcement, and limit the coverage its given.

Date: September 27, 2005 05:12PM

"fire gene nighman" is the wrong message...

I've talked to Gene Nighman before...he's not a "bad" guy and for all we know this might not even have been his idea this year. Directing anger/hate at him is counterproductive. Instead of criticizing/blaming him, we should offer constructive criticism and do everything we can to make the process better in the future. I've heard before on this board that "we've been there done that with athletics" instead of defering to this old excuse why don't we come up with some sort of concerted effort to magnify our message. We could start a petition or refuse to wait inside Ramin room on fri/sat and intstead wait together with our "Lynah Faithful" shirts (easiest indication of true faithful would be previous ticket ownership signified by wearing our shirts) outside Bartels to demonstrate our displeasure for the process and the neglect of the true faithful. These sorts of actions would likely get press coverage and the attention of the administration and thus might be the impetus for some positive change.

Date: September 27, 2005 05:43PM

The buck stops at Gene Nighman. His leadership resulted in a system which does little to reward dedicated fans, and worse, seriously endangered the safety of hundreds of fans. Those in charge of this debacle do not posess the common sense to work at an Ivy League institution.

MAE '08

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 06:13PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

... get press coverage and the attention of the administration and thus might be the impetus for some positive change.[/q]

My thoughts exactly.

I'm concerned that Schafer has more important things to be worried about, a few short weeks before the start of the season.

Date: September 27, 2005 07:21PM

Do you think Gene Nighman can run the ticket procedure anyway he wants? He has to answer to his superiors and I am willing to bet they ok'd or helped plan this year's disaster. Even if they did "fire" Gene Nighman, what makes you think the next person in his position would do any better? What makes you think anyone would want to step into his shoes and deal with the huge controversy surrounding a ticket allocation process that cannot be perfected and will never please everyone?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:25PM

The ticket line procedure was vetted by all sorts of campus departments and organizations, including (I believe) the Student Assembly. I wasn't there to witness the carnage, but it sounds like it was handled poorly by those directly responsible for line organization and supervision (states Captain Obvious).

I think anyone who's ever had any experience with the Cornell ticket office knows that Gene and his minions are no Yodas of ticket distribution and management. Blame whomever you want, write all the angry letters you want, but really, the root of the problem is that adults are willing to act like complete animals and trample one another for a good seat/status/whatever. Seriously, if "Those in charge of this debacle do not posess [sic] the common sense to work at an Ivy League institution," then what about the hundreds of people willing to injure their fellow students in this debacle? Did they display the common sense one should possess to attend an Ivy League institution? Are they off the hook because big bad Athletics forced them into this system? No. The ticket distribution was managed poorly, but these people chose to act in a disorderly manner.

The university is not going to authorize a system that implies it's ok to skip class (the wait as long as you want system Duke employs), and I highly doubt, especially after this, that they'd go for a system like GA that may risk a stampede. I'd put money on a mail-in student season ticket form, much like they had through 99-00.

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:54PM

i dont believe duke actually requires you to skip class, just that there is at least 1 person at all times within the tent. I dont think its very hard to find a group of friends where there is at least 1 person at any given time that is not scheduled for class.

Date: September 27, 2005 09:21PM

The process can't be perfect, but what we saw last night wasn't even approaching adequate.

Gene Nighman is the Director of Ticketing, this plan was his responsibility. If the higher-ups ok'ed this, they should be fired too. Does a fan need to die before somebody is held accountable?

MAE '08

Date: September 27, 2005 09:33PM

Regarding Gene's character and his responsibility for the Ticket Line plans:

[www.cornellsun.com]

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 27, 2005 09:37PM

Yes, the plan was ultimately, but not solely, Gene's responsibility, but the fans/facetimers/stampeding water buffaloes in dirty white frat caps have no one to blame for their behavior but themselves.

I'm not excusing Gene's implication in this b.s., I'm just trying to explain to people who might not know how these things work that it's not just Gene sitting in his office concocting some ticket distribution plot.

And if you're going to say that all the higher ups who ok'd this should be fired, what should happen to the students who were trampling each other? After all, they're supposed to be adults capable of rational thought and decision making.

Date: September 27, 2005 09:45PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote: I think sending letters to the Sun won't serve much of a purpous. [/q]

Well, writing a letter to the Sun (in the form of an open letter to Charlie Moore '51, who was AD at the time) after the Schoellkopf debacle in '91 is what got me invited to the "round table discussion" that helped shape what they did in '92 - which frankly wasn't much better, but at least people didn't get hurt.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 27, 2005 09:51PM

Trying to get Schafer involved in anything besides coaching the hockey team right now is an extremely bad idea. Ask him to get involved in May if you want.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 27, 2005 10:11PM

I think the assumption that Schafer reading several constructive letters from the faithful about how the ticket line that he envisioned failed to come close to fulfilling it's stated purpose, would be too mentally and physically taxing on him and could possibly compromise his concentration on the team and the upcoming season, drastically underestimates Schafer's focus and drive. My point in suggesting we send letters to him isn't to get him involved hands on in the planning process. Rather my aim is to encourage him to hold Athletics accountable or voice his opinion and use his pull to improve the process. He was able to do it in 95 (ish); I have not doubt he could make it happen again.

Date: September 27, 2005 10:30PM

In that case...maybe some of us should swallow our pride and write to the Sun

Date: September 27, 2005 10:31PM

What if Schafer's opinion is that the students obviously couldn't handle themselves in any of the recent line incarnations and they should be held accountable for acting like animals this time, so the only option is to go back to a mail-in process?

Seriously, don't write to him.

Date: September 27, 2005 10:32PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote: I think the assumption that Schafer reading several constructive letters from the faithful about how the ticket line that he envisioned failed to come close to fulfilling it's stated purpose, would be too mentally and physically taxing on him and could possibly compromise his concentration on the team and the upcoming season, drastically underestimates Schafer's focus and drive.[/q]

I think so, too. Luckily, it has absolutely nothing to do with I said.

I'm saying you should get your own priorities straight as far as Schafer is concerned. Just because you're angry right now doesn't mean contacting the head coach of the hockey team about it right now is the right thing to do.

Gene and the Athletics Misfits will still be there in May, and there will still be plenty of time to come up with plans for a better ticket sales process. Schafer has limited time, not limited brains or steam. Let him spend it on what he's supposed to be spending it on.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:42PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

What if Schafer's opinion is that the students obviously couldn't handle themselves in any of the recent line incarnations and they should be held accountable for acting like animals this time, so the only option is to go back to a mail-in process?

Seriously, don't write to him.[/q]

You're wrong to dignify this year's process as a line. A mob of pushing and shoving is hardly a line. If this year's "line incarnation" were an actual line, there'd be less of an issue. There is a middle ground between a mob of angry frat boys and a lottery. It's called a line. All the talk of academics is hogwash because if you annoucned sale to begin on a sunday night (or even early on a monday morning) or at the end of fall break, you wouldn't run into that as an issue for vast majority of people. And if we keep throwing around students acting like adults (an idea i'm not sure i buy) then they can make the choice to skip class to wait in line. God knows students skip class for an assortment of dumber reasons.

This isn't a line, it's survival of the fittest lottery followed by a mandatory waiting period. THe waiting period is more like the waiting period to buy a gun than a line. It's no wonder a system designed by wrestlers makes pushing, shoving, and trampling the desired conduct to achieve success.

Date: September 27, 2005 10:50PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

And if you're going to say that all the higher ups who ok'd this should be fired, what should happen to the students who were trampling each other? After all, they're supposed to be adults capable of rational thought and decision making.[/q]

Obviously, the answer is to give me all the tickets and let me distribute them as I see fit. :-D

Date: September 27, 2005 10:53PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Jerseygirl Wrote:

Seriously, don't write to him.[/Q]
You're wrong to dignify this year's process as a line. A mob of pushing and shoving is hardly a line. If this year's "line incarnation" were an actual line, there'd be less of an issue. There is a middle ground between a mob of angry frat boys and a lottery. It's called a line. All the talk of academics is hogwash because if you annoucned sale to begin on a sunday night (or even early on a monday morning) or at the end of fall break, you wouldn't run into that as an issue for vast majority of people. And if we keep throwing around students acting like adults (an idea i'm not sure i buy) then they can make the choice to skip class to wait in line. God knows students skip class for an assortment of dumber reasons.

This isn't a line, it's survival of the fittest lottery followed by a mandatory waiting period. THe waiting period is more like the waiting period to buy a gun than a line. It's no wonder a system designed by wrestlers makes pushing, shoving, and trampling the desired conduct to achieve success. [/q]

Wednesday morning after Fall Break, say 6am, would seem to be a great time that wouldn't interfere with academics and would allow the most dedicated to get tickets by camping out as early as they wanted.

Date: September 27, 2005 11:28PM

Sorry, Chris '03. College students, assuming they're of normal college age are adults, and should be held accountable for their behavior as such. If they're incapable of keeping their shit together, they should answer for that.

I never said this "line" idea was a good one, and I believe I referred to it as a debacle roughly twice as often as I called it a line, just so we're clear with the reading comprehension. My point is that the powers that be or whatever don't deserve all of the blame for what happened. It's really not as simple as Gene fucking up and deserving to be fired for the ensuing mob. I say this as someone who has put in a lot of time as both a Cornell hockey fan and a Cornell Athletics student employee. I see the fans' perspectives, and am also familiar with the bureaucracy behind what happened with the "line"/mob/debacle/semantic differentiation for what we know I'm referencing.

There's more I want to say, but. Bedtime.

Posted by: canuck28 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:54PM

Sorry, stampedes have occured in the past that were caused by adults -- normal adults. Even some related to sports: reference Iran soccer match last year. The problem is that it is basic human instinct to compete when forced to. This year, a select few decided to push their way up front, which resulted in everybody pushing in order to keep everyone else back. The "adult" theory does not hold up because I have yet to see any difference between adults and children in this situation as observed in real world scenarios.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.19.46.adsl.snet.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:13AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Sorry, Chris '03. College students, assuming they're of normal college age are adults, and should be held accountable for their behavior as such. If they're incapable of keeping their shit together, they should answer for that.

I never said this "line" idea was a good one, and I believe I referred to it as a debacle roughly twice as often as I called it a line, just so we're clear with the reading comprehension. My point is that the powers that be or whatever don't deserve all of the blame for what happened. It's really not as simple as Gene fucking up and deserving to be fired for the ensuing mob. I say this as someone who has put in a lot of time as both a Cornell hockey fan and a Cornell Athletics student employee. I see the fans' perspectives, and am also familiar with the bureaucracy behind what happened with the "line"/mob/debacle/semantic differentiation for what we know I'm referencing.

There's more I want to say, but. Bedtime.[/q]

Sure according to their birth certificates most college students are adults in the strictest of senses, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that a good number of them are incapable of acting like adults. The issue of how college students are treated, their sense of entitlement, and their general superiority complex is for antother day. My point was simply to note that you can't boil this down to a, "god, can't these folks just act like adults?" conversation.

As for the alleged line semantics, I never said it was all gene's fault. I never really said it was anyone's fault. I just took issue with you calling it a line because it wasn't a line. It's more than semantics, it's an important distinction to make before suggesting that this year is evidence that "lines" don't work. Your argument was that if you didn't like the line this year and complain to schafer, the future is a lottery because students can't handle themselves. I simply counter that it's not so black and white. This year was not a line but a mob. A line can still exist between the extremes of mob and lottery. The most common sense approach is probably what Grant suggested. Sell tickets at 6am the wednesday after fall break. Students can line up outside the ticket office whenever the mood should strike and it won't substantially interfere with class. (If you went a step further and created a modified GA system, there'd be less concern. By modified GA, I'd suggest breaking the current sections into 2 blocks of seven rows or three blocks of 5, 5, and 4. As such when you picked your seat, you be picking section b lower instead of section b row 2 seat 2 or section d middle or e upper, etc. This would create a) an incentive to wait in line b) an incentive to show up on time to games to get your preferred seat and c) it would mitigate the bull rush when the doors open with everyone trying to get thier seats in the totlaly GA student section. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like it might help.)

I would like to add though, that I agree with your conclusion that writing to Schafer at this point in time won't solve a damn thing. It would probably be wiser to send concerns to him after the season has concluded, emotions have cooled, and there is still ample time to consider constructive solutions to the problem for next year. Short of saying, "do over" there's no turning back for this season's process and Schafer has other things to worry about.

If anyone is really interested in change and not just emotional/bitter complaint spend some time compiling the ticket policies at other schools, see what you find, and present rational ideas to athletics (schafer, gene, brenner, noel, etc.). Anything said at this point probably falls on deaf ears, and simply saying "anything is better than this" will not get anything accomplished. Of course it may help you if you're a wrestler. The word or a wrestler trumps all in athletics...

Posted by: canuck98 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:20AM

Yes, I do not intend on "telling" them, rather i would like to "show" them how to cheer. This is said in the most positive light. I do not intend to be an expert, instead just a confident fan who is proud to voice his support.

Date: September 28, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

the root of the problem is that adults are willing to act like complete animals and trample one another for a good seat/status/whatever.

I highly doubt, especially after this, that they'd go for a system like GA that may risk a stampede [/q]

Your analysis of the "root of the problem" couldn't be much further from the truth. I'm too tired to respond now so I guess I'll wait till tomorrow.

Maybe you could humor me in the meantime by explaining why a General Admission policy would risk a stampede?

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login