Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: NHL no longer on ESPN?

Posted by Brian 
OT: NHL no longer on ESPN?
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:16PM

Just curious if anybody knows anything about the switch from ESPN to OLN (comcast) for NHL games? I don't really know much about television contracts. Does this mean the end of Barry Melrose and all the hockey on ESPN?

[sports.espn.go.com]

Re: OT: NHL no longer on ESPN?
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:38PM

The end of Barry Melrose would be great.

Yeah, ESPN is totally devoid of hockey, other than what they put on SportsCenter (which wasn't much even when they owned the rights to hockey).

Comcast (OLN) is putting games on Monday and Tuesday. They also have the rights to the playoffs up through the first 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals, while NBC will play games on 6 Saturdays and games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Comcast is also reportedly bringing the NHL network to US cable.

At first you may be concerned about the drop in network status, but think of what Lance Armstrong/OLN did for the Tour de France. Could Sidney Crosby/OLN take the NHL back to the top?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 05:20PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

At first you may be concerned about the drop in network status, but think of what Lance Armstrong/OLN did for the Tour de France. Could Sidney Crosby/OLN take the NHL back to the top?
[/q]

Crosby, yes. OLN, no. It's very generous to say OLN "did" something for the Tour de France.

If it was Alexandre Vinokourov winning 7 in a row, nobody would care, and nobody would watch the Tour on OLN.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 06:10PM

People watched the tour on TV?

Date: August 19, 2005 06:36PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:

[/Q]
Crosby, yes. OLN, no. It's very generous to say OLN "did" something for the Tour de France.

If it was Alexandre Vinokourov winning 7 in a row, nobody would care, and nobody would watch the Tour on OLN.[/q]

[www.tvweek.com]

OLN decided to program something that ESPN didn't see the value in (even with the previous 6 victories by Armstrong) and got very good ratings. It's not too much of a stretch to compare that to the NHL. A little change of attitude from "it's break-even filler" to "cornerstone of our programming and we love it" couldn't hurt.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:35PM

I predict next year's TdF rating will equal John Blutarsky's GPA.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 05:52PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:
OLN decided to program something that ESPN didn't see the value in (even with the previous 6 victories by Armstrong) and got very good ratings. It's not too much of a stretch to compare that to the NHL. A little change of attitude from "it's break-even filler" to "cornerstone of our programming and we love it" couldn't hurt.[/q]
Was this year's TDF even up for bid? I've been watching it on OLN (yes, Keith, some of us watch it on TV) for at least 4-5 years now - I suspect that OLN had a long-term contract for the rights, so ESPN wouldn't have even had a chance to bid on it this year - they may very well have recognized the value of Armstrong's last year.

Certainly, OLN's historical ratings expectations have been quite low compared to ESPN, but I heard an NPR piece yesterday (with one of their VPs), and he said they are planning to make a run at becoming a major national sports network - hockey is just their first step. They're even talking about trying to bid on NFL rights when they come up again (I think 2007, but perhaps 2008). They even changed the official name of the network from "Outdoor Life" to "OLN" to distance themselves from the "bark eaters," which was the actual term used in the interview. :)

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 10:59PM

I'd be willing to bet that NESN will be showing Bruins games... for those who get NESN, that is.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 12:22AM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that NESN will be showing Bruins games... for those who get NESN, that is.[/q]

I'm sure the local/regional broadcasting rights will remain intact, or go through whatever normal changes that market might experience. The national rights going to OLN though, remains pathetic. Let's hope, if anything, the OLN is successful in it's transformation and/or that the NHL gets off of there quickly.

Posted by: WOWBLWTCSTI94 (---.37.85.89.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 12:44PM

Personally, I think a change in broadcasting, even if it proves to be for the better, won't be enough. What gets the masses excited about hockey? Hard hits, an occasional fight, and the rare goal. Sure for us die-hards, we also appreciate the passing game, the re-directs, and successfully fending off 2 minutes of 5 on 3.

But there aren't enough die-hards out there now to fill up the seats and boost ratings.... yet. However, there are plenty of would-be fans out there that hockey can convert.

This is the video game / ADD generation. Rewards to stimulate the senses in the form of suspense and thrill must be frequent and often, because that's the type of entertainment drug we're used to.

Soccer and hockey, in our culture, both fail to deliver on that as much as they potentially could, and that's where some slight rule or design changes can draw the crowds.

Basketball, football, baseball, nascar ... they've all evolved over the years to make the game more exciting for the fans while maintaining a standard of safety and integrity.

I feel hockey needs to do the same. Fans don't follow the networks, they follow the game and the players. And the game itself needs to step up and take the lead by opening things up.

Scores are too low. Clustering around the net is too high. Most fans at home need to wait for the replay cameras to zoom in on what they missed.

But in football and basketball, the live play is fast and easier to see.

The amazing one-armed 30yrd catch immediately followed by a no-huddle rush to the line of scrimmage with seconds ticking away and no time outs.

Or in basketball, the no look give and go pass back to an alley oop for a slam dunk. Replay forthcoming of course, but at least the fans at home saw the whole thing clearly live and in real time, and no one at home is scratching their head wondering if the goal was actually scored and who gets credit.

Sure it's a fast game. Sure the puck isn't the easiest thing to see. But opening things up around the net (restricting the presence of players or number of players within an area similar to basketball's 3 second violation in the key), or even making the net larger may help raise scoring and make things easier to see.

Perhaps some changes can attract new fans while still making it exciting for us FANatics.

My 2 cents,

WOWBLWTCSTI94
(Wept Openly When Brian Leech Won The Con Smythe Trophy In 94)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: August 31, 2005 04:45PM

[Q]WOWBLWTCSTI94 Wrote:
WOWBLWTCSTI94
(Wept Openly When Brian Leech Won The Con Smythe Trophy In 94)[/q]L-E-E-T-C-H.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:25AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

WOWBLWTCSTI94 Wrote:
WOWBLWTCSTI94
(Wept Openly When Brian Leech Won The Con Smythe Trophy In 94)[/Q]
L-E-E-T-C-H.[/q]
I wept openly at this.

Posted by: JS '93 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 10:54AM

NHL TV Schedule is now on the OLN website. Florida has a few games early in the season. The Penguins, Flyers, Bruins, Red Wings, and Rangers are shown at least six times each--to be expected.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 01:36PM

From the October issue of The Atlantic:

"ESPN, long its TV home, has declined to broadcast the [NHL] season since discovering that some of last year's replacement programming--college basketball and a poker drama--earned higher ratings than hockey."

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 01:41PM

What comments have official ESPN spokespersons made? I heard Bettman on the radio when th eOLN deal was announced and he refused to criticize ESPN other than saying, "I don't know what their thinking was."

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 02:08PM

I find it really funny that poker tournaments get higher viewing than any sport, let alone hockey. But apparently they do, for now anyway. I suspect that the poker craze will run its course and Tv ratings will plummet in time. Not that ESPN will necessarily regret their hockey decision - random college squeakball games will probably continue to draw better than NHL.

Date: September 05, 2005 05:13PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I find it really funny that poker tournaments get higher viewing than any sport, let alone hockey. But apparently they do, for now anyway. I suspect that the poker craze will run its course and Tv ratings will plummet in time. Not that ESPN will necessarily regret their hockey decision - random college squeakball games will probably continue to draw better than NHL.[/q]

They are probably cheaper to produce too.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 06:15PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:"ESPN, long its TV home, has declined to broadcast the [NHL] season since discovering that some of last year's replacement programming--college basketball and a poker drama--earned higher ratings than hockey."[/q]

[Q]KeithK Wrote:I find it really funny that poker tournaments get higher viewing than any sport, let alone hockey...[/q]

I could deal with poker tournaments getting a higher rating than hockey. I'm a poker player and a poker-on-TV addict. But what they were talking about appears to be "Tilt," which was completely unwatchable.

If Tilt is scoring higher ratings than hockey we may not see the NHL on OLN for very long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2005 06:15PM by ugarte.

Re: OT: NHL New Rules Enforcement Video
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 06:29PM

reactions? thoughts? comments?
[www.nhl.com]

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.wholesystems.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 06:39PM

I think Joel and the 'bots could generate a GREAT episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 using this video.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: September 13, 2005 09:08AM

The NHL annouced a ten year $100,000,000 contract with XM Satellite radio today.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 05:38PM

The need to turn the gain way up on their audio. I had to turn all my stuff all the way up just to hear it.

The music sounded like the stuff that NFL Films rejected.

A lot of the stuff that they're billing as "new rules" seems like it's just a stricter interpretation of interference and holding, not really anything new at all. The question, as usual, remains, will they actually call any of this stuff more strictly beyond the first two weeks of the season?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login